Liked This Movie-Don't Understand the Negative Reviews, 20 March 2016

I had been anticipating the sequel to Olympus Has Fallen as the previous movie was very good. I was dismayed to read all the bad reviews in the newspapers, on IMDb and other sites and considered not going but I'm glad I went to see it. The movie is what it is advertised to be, lots of action, good story line and even some humor . I thought the performances by the main characters were good and the action scenes well done. The movie kept my interest all the way through.

If you liked the Olympus Has Fallen, I would encourage you to see the sequel and not be turned away from the critics.

It's a good entertainment, popcorn movie time type of show!

Fitting Finale-Outstanding Series that Ended Too Quickly, 16 October 2015

I thought this was an excellent finale, one which exceeded my expectations. I thought the producers, writers, cast, etc did an outstanding job in bringing a fitting conclusion to an excellent series. I only wish there were more episodes in season 4 (as probably all involved would have wanted too), but I am glad that the show did come back for a 4th season. There were interesting characters throughout the series, with twists and turns that kept the show interesting and never dull.

Thanks to all who contributed to making Continuum. I will miss watching it but am glad that the show was allowed to conclude with a fantastic series finale.

Not as Good as Expendables 1 and 2, 15 August 2014

I thought Expendables 3 was just an OK movie. The action scenes were quite good, with a lot of excellent stunt work and special effects. Mel Gibson did a good job in his role . Unfortunately, the writing and acting was not as good as the first 2 movies. This version did not have much humor and most of the movie stars seemed to be mailing it in, not really getting into their parts. The movie was too long with a run time of over 2 hours. I cannot believe it received a PG-13 rating! The language was fairly clean but there was a lot of violence, way more than warranted a PG-13 rating. Overall, it is not a bad movie, but not a very good one either. This one is not a must see in the theater movie, or at best at matinée prices.

Hellbound? (2012)
Interesting Documentary & Discussion, 6 October 2012

Hellbound is a movie that deals with the question of is there or is there not a hell, and who goes there after death. The movie contains interviews with quite a variety of people ranging from members of the Westboro Baptist church who protest at military funerals (and in this movie are shown in New York City on the day of the 10th anniversary of 9/11), a pastor of megachurch, a heavy metal rock band, to various authors who have written about what they believe about hell.

It becomes apparent that the filmmakers believe in universalism, meaning all people will eventually go to heaven and that evil people such as Hitler, Stalin etc will have a chance to be redeemed. There are interviews with people who do not agree with this viewpoint, though I think more time is spent on the 'all dogs go to heaven' belief than on other viewpoints. I think too much film time was spent on the fringe people such as the Westboro protesters and not enough time was spent with those who do not believe in universalism.

I do think this is an important movie to see and though there were only 7 people in the theater for a 620pm showing on a Friday night (plus this was the only theater in the Chicago area that had this movie that night), I am hopeful more people will attend future showings.

Great Summer Action Movie, 17 August 2012

I liked Expendables 2 even more than the previous movie. Expendables 2 has just about all the great action stars of the past with lots of fighting, cheesy dialogue sprinkled with some humor, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. A deep philosophical flick this is not, but anyone considering see it should already be aware of this. I'm sure there will be the bad reviews decrying the end of civilization that people will actually see and enjoy this type of movie with all the real problems out in the world, but who cares, this is a nice couple of hours of escapism fun. Stallone, Statham, Van Damme, Wills, Arnold, Chuck Norris and others manage to pull off an exciting thrill ride that anyone who was a fan of their past movies should appreciate.

This movie definitely warrants the R rating. No sex or swearing, but lots of death, destruction, mayhem (but not too gory thankfully).

Decent story, Good Acting, 10 August 2012

I found Hope Springs to be pretty good movie with a very good ending. Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carrell do a fine job in their roles. The story is weaker than it could have been as it seemed it was focused too much lack of sex in the marriage instead of the underlying causes of the the problems in the relationship.

This definitely is a chick flick (there were only 3 guys including myself in the theater), but there is some humor and a positive message that it is never too late to improve a marriage or long term relationship. It is not a movie for kids as there are mature subjects and some intense drama. I could have seen an R rating as appropriate just due to the subject mater.

Good But Not Great Film, 16 June 2012

I thought this was a quirky, kind of fun film. I am a fan of time travel related movies and TV shows, so the premise interested me. There are a few plot holes to overlook and the story kinds of goes off in tangents. The main character, the one who places an advertisement for someone to time travel with, is the most interesting person in the film. I've read a few reviews where there is some question about whether or not the main character did or did not go back in time. I believe the answer is obvious, but I can see where some confusion may exist. It is worth seeing as a matinée but not at nighttime price and frankly, seeing it as a rental is sufficient too. That being said, it is a worthwhile movie to see.

The R rating is appropriate. There are sexual themes in a few scenes and the story is made for an older audience, so kids and teens should not watch this movie.

Contraband (2012)
Disappointing, slow and sometimes boring, 18 January 2012

Contraband is a mediocre movie that fails to live up to what is presented in the trailers and in the movie's premise. Definitely not one of Mark Wahlbergs's best films by a long shot. The story was not interesting, the action scenes dull and the acting was sub-par.

I never really cared about any of the characters. I can't think of one performance that stood out as being good. Not sure if it was a bad script or just bad acting.

The pace of the movie was really slow. I kept waiting for it move faster, but never did.

I liked Wahlberg in "The Italian Job', but Contraband has a much weaker supporting cast and a poorer storyline.

There are better heist, action movies to see than this one.

Not Enough Muppets In This Movie, 12 December 2011

I was looking forward to watching this film having been a fan of the Muppets for a long time. This film had few laughs, dragged on for too long and had far too many all human scenes. The songs were lame. The Muppets were just in the background in this movie. I didn't care for any of the human acting and the writing was poor. I'm amazed at the scores and reviews on IMDb. I just don't understand why people think this was such a good movie. Kids will get really bored with this one and most adults will too.

I did read that Frank Oz did not agree with the script and did not work on this movie. I can see why now and wish Disney had let him do the movie the way he wanted.

Don't waste your money at the theater with this movie. It is at best a DVD rental at a discount price.

Drive (2011/I)
Decent action scenes but overall disappointing, 16 September 2011

I had looked forward to seeing this movie after the good trailers and positive reviews. Unfortunately, I don't understand the very high scores on IMDb and by the critics.

I did like Ryan Gosling's performance,and appreciated the realistic driving scenes (very little CGI; I wish there were a lot more of them)but that's about it.

The story had too many tangents to stay coherent and there were too many plot holes. The first half of the movie has some really slow scenes that kept me wondering when the movie was going to pick up steam. I thought some of the violence was needlessly graphic.

The R rating is quite appropriate to due very graphic violence, some coarse language and some nudity, though very little sexual content.

Overall, it was an OK movie for a $4 matinée on a cold cloudy Friday afternoon, but I would not recommend spending nighttime movie prices for this show.