varghesejunior

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Jal (2013)
Meaningful but won't work our nowadays, 22 January 2015

This film is meaningful but it probably won't work out nowadays....people want stuff for entertainment nowadays..action, masala, etc.

Jal is the story of a diviner who helps the govt drill borewells to provide water for his village in Kutch, a place where water is so scarce that neighboring villages are always at loggerheads for it. But then things turn out bad because of greed.

It has a great concept but like I said, social films seldom do well.Maybe it's made just for awards, I donno...location is good, there is natural acting, you feel you're in the place itself seeing all the happenings. Songs are just OK according to me. Purab acts well, not like a modern young man that he usually acts as in films. This one is contemporary.

Should be worth a watch

Aaghaaz (2000)
average film with ups and downs, 22 January 2015

Newly arrived Govind Narang gets into the bad books of Mumbai underworld when he rescues a girl from being molested by them. Soon the goons are after him, and with this return people or Narang's past, the whole of which form Aaghaaz.

It is a film depicting the mafia nuisance in society. The film is a mix of comedy,romance to please everyone in the crowd, because of which the film deviates it from its social direction.

The ladies acting is weak. The camera work is poor, being fast and shaky. The editing is weak with rapid transition from scene to song.

It may have a been a high budget movie of those days, as evidenced by the huge star cast, especially serial actors, and shooting in exotic locales like Malaysia and Switzerland.

Sunil Shetty does well but I don't like his unnecessary screaming like an animal. Else he's one of the best.

Deserves 5*

A child's horror, not adult horror film, 22 January 2015

I watched this as I'd heard that it was well acclaimed, and I'm a horror fan. Dint find it so impressive though.

A family of 5 is tormented by paranormal forces in their house, and they employ paranormal investigators to help them.

The film is good for the acting, the special effects and make up work especially in the end, and all this 30 years ago in cinema is noteworthy.

But it's hardly scary…with luck, maybe some kids will get scared nowadays. the film is slow paced for the first quarter and then picks up speed. It's more of an investigation thriller film initially, and then changes it's theme. But it's definitely better and not even comparable to Friday the 13th films, which are just nonsense.

5 stars...lemme see how part 2 is.

Crank (2006)
Worst film of Jason Statham I've ever seen., 15 January 2015

I've been really impressed by Jason Statham, for his roles in Transporter and Expendables, but this one was a shame! A hit-man is injected by his rivals with a Chinese poison that will kill him shortly if he does not keep his adrenaline levels high until an antidote is found, which means he should do just about anything - kill, steal, run, jump....I don't wanna say more.

The only thing I found enjoyable was some comedy, that's it.I cannot appreciate anything else Apart from that it's full of grotesque stuff, sex , adult comedy and unbelievable things, like a man coming to attack his assailant even after his whole hand has been completely cut off, instead of writhing in shock and pain. And the F*** word is used in almost every sentence the actors utter.

Didn't like and wouldn't recommend

Taken 3 (2014)
Taken for a ride?, 15 January 2015

I've liked the prequels and hence could not resist TAKEN 3, but though this film was exciting, I didn't find it as fast paced and dynamic as its prequels.

Bryan mills is faced with the challenge of his life when his ex wife is brutally murdered, and the blame is on him this time as he has been well implicated by his enemies. Now not only does he have to evade the law and prove his innocence, he also has to protect his only daughter who is under threat from the assailants.

Like mentioned, this is not as dynamic as the prequels.It also does not fall on similar lines...no one is really "taken" in the film. The action sequences are good, especially in the climax, and there are a pretty good number of twists and turns, some of which one wouldn't expect...well, at least I did not.

Forrest Whittaker and Liam Neeson are too good and noteworthy. There is some bit of unbelievable stuff, like coming out of explosions unscathed, but well, this is reel life, isn't it?

Liam Neeson fans like me will like this one

Gambler (1995)
Name is kind of misnomer, 25 December 2014

The name Gambler is kind of a misnomer for this film, which is kind of a remake of "Short time" and which also incorporates the Rambo character.

Cowardly but humorous and outgoing officer Dayashankar happens to nab notorious criminals by fluke, which wins him accolades but which also gets him into the bad books of the city gangs. This and few other happenings transform Dayashankar completely, which is what forms the rest of the film.

There is good acting many a time, especially by Govinda, but which gets too overt occasionally. The editing work is poor, which I think was a major thing in many films of the 90s. Johnny Lever and Govinda put in their effort to make us laugh, which is at times successful. Dialogues are good. The film has a mix of comedy, action and drama. The portrayal of cop Dayashankar as a Rambo is however weak.

The Choreography of the film is excellent. And the songs are melodious and remarkable. It is the memory of the songs like the title one, Meri marzi and Stop that!! which made me wanna see this film.

At present this would be considered a childish film, but for the 90s, it should've been noteworthy.

Rambo III (1988)
Intense, 23 December 2014

Retired American commando John Rambo, now living in Thailand, sets out on yet another mission to rescue his only trusted friend Col Trautmann as the latter is captured by Russian forces invading Afghanistan when he tries to fight them off the land all by himself, when Rambo refuses to go on a mission with him. Rambo is assisted by the local Afghans and Pakistanis, to do all they can to rescue the colonel and the land from the ruthless Russians.

This film is more intense than its 2 predecessors , in terms of dialogue delivery, violence, effects, etc. Too bad it was Richard Crenna's last Rambo film-I had hoped he'd be in Rambo 4 too. Sylvester plays his part well as the courageous, confident and efficient Rambo.

Annabelle (2014/I)
Never been scared like this before., 23 December 2014

A prequel of "The Conjuring", Annabelle starts off with a couple who bring home a mysterious looking doll in advance for the baby they are expecting soon, but along with it start to happen weird things, including an attempt of a cult couple to try to kill them, and paranormal phenomena wherever they go. It's upto them now to find out who or what is behind all this, and how the doll is related to it.

I got really scared in theater – more than Conjuring. The film could've definitely been made scarier but was quite scary even otherwise. All actors have plated their parts well; the music score fits with the film. Effects are remarkable for a horror flick. But all in all, ultimately it's almost the same old stereotypical ghost film – a ghost woman, ghost girl, ghost doll, paranormal phenomena and exorcism…only in a different form.

No harm watching

Blackmail (2005)
Amateurish work, 4 December 2014

Despite a talented star cast, Blackmail looks so amateurish...I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do so well.

Ace car racer and criminal Shekhar seeks revenge on cop Abhay Singh for getting him arrested and imprisoned even to the extent of costing Shekhar the life of his wife and child, 7 years after his release. But Shekhar is in for surprises and Abhay Singh has to figure out how to handle the ex conman who is behind him now. The hunter has become the hunted.

The film has amateurish conceptualisation, amateurish dialogue work, Weak acting, Poor editing and is overdramatic. There is unbelievable stuff, like surviving more than 24 hrs after being hit in the back by a bullet.

It does get thrilling at times, and there are a few melodious songs , best actor is probably Sunil shetty. Ajay Devgn is definitely a talented actor but in this film his talents are not used well.

Couldn't have worked.

Roller coaster ride across the ice, 4 December 2014

The last bond film with Brosnan as James Bond, Die another day definitely takes you a thrilling roller sci fi coaster ride all the way from the west to North Korea but it is just the typical type of Pierce Brosnan Bond film…nothing special except for 2 different women whom bond meets this time, yet again like in all bond films, the relationships don't last long LOL.

While on a mission in North Korea, Bond is betrayed by someone in the MI6 back in UK, and is kept captive in North Korea by the army, until he is set free in exchange for a criminal captured by the MI6. Now considered to be useless to them, MI6 decide not to entrust bond anymore, but he takes it on himself against all odds to complete his unfinished business with the Koreans and to find out who deceived him in the first place.

Brosnan is definitely appreciable in all his Bond films – they are all very thrilling, starting from Golden eye to Die another day. He also has an exceptional elegance – talk less, shoot more, smooth language, charming and seductive to any woman he meets, intelligent but not much of a fist fighter, as is seen in this film. Madonna's title song is quite beat tapping, especially the remixed version, and she also makes a special appearance in the film.

Worth a watch