regdyer-752-589598

Good story of intrusive behaviour, 2 May 2015

I always enjoy performances by Jessica Cameron and Heather Dorff, both in short and full length feature films, especially when they appear together on screen as in 'Truth or Dare'. Apart from their acting ability, I admire their abundant energy and enthusiasm that they pour into the film making process and I could not resist the opportunity to view the DVD of 'Intrusive Behaviour' in which they have starring roles. It is clear that they have an excellent working relationship which pays dividends as they display in this film.

'Intrusive Behavior' is a film of two parts. Part 1 is devoted to acquainting the viewer to the background of the disorderly personality of a young girl named Heidi which can be described as a complex combination of being devious, manipulative, controlling, perceptive and violent. The time allocated to illustrating these traits of her character is well spent as is the focus on the dilemmas facing the parents and staff in a behavioural care centre whilst contending with the situation arising from the problems encountered. This section features an admirable performance by Taylor Frase in the challenging role of young Heidi. Another actress who caught my eye during this portion of the film was Robin Sydney in a brief supporting role. But she made the most of her screen time to make me note her name for the future.

The second part of the film focuses on the situation which has developed 15 years later and it is from the point that the film becomes a thriller with an unexpected climax. The explanation of what has transpired over the 15 years is very efficiently dealt with in a neat sequence of scenes. This part of the film provides the opportunity for the versatile acting talent of Heather and Jessica to come to the forefront. Jessica skilfully develops the portrayal of her character which passes through contrasting phases of personality presentation ranging from pleasant and caring to the demonic.

Heather makes an immediate impact as soon as she appears on screen and then continues to display her ability in handling different moods in scenes. I particularly admired how she managed to keep a straight face whilst describing an incident involving super glue that she experienced - one of the few light hearted moments in the film.

An aspect of the film which will be of interest to UK viewers is contained within the scenes which relate to misconduct by staff of the behavioural care home in view of the current controversy about alleged wrongdoings in such institutions within the UK.

Bloom (2014/I)
Deann in Full Bloom, 15 April 2015

I have been eagerly awaiting an opportunity to view this film directed by Travis Legge since being very favourably impressed with his previous film 'Dry Spell' which starred Suzi Lorraine a couple of years ago. I was certainly not disappointed with 'Bloom' and my high expectation was wholly fulfilled.

Many of the technical quality ingredients which made 'Dry Spell' such an enjoyable viewing experience are present once again in a film which although different in many ways is based on a script which unravels into an interesting storyline which maintains attention from beginning to end.

Skillful use of camera and lighting makes up for lack of financial resources. Optimimum use is made of equipment available and acting skill. Angles and perspective are spot on in contributing to ensuring that the concentration of the viewer is firmly focused and not allowed to drift as events unfold at a steady pace.

Another of the reasons why I was looking forward to the release of 'Bloom' was that I had noted two of the cast members were a couple of talented young actresses, namely Danielle Doetsch and Deann Baker, who had captured my attention in previous films.

I first observed Danielle in 'Bikini Girls on Ice' and subsequently kept an eye open for future appearances. I particularly like the range of expressions that she utilises. She is a very versatile actress who I feel has a very bright future and I look forward to viewing further examples of her work in the not too distant future.

Deann had a supporting role in 'Dry Spell' but her performance persuaded me to to make a note of her name for future observation. In 'Bloom' she plays the lead role and there is no doubt that she is the dominant presence in the film and is seldom off screen. This is a challenging situation for any young actress but it is clear that she Deann has grasped the opportunity afforded her and turned in a five star performance. Indeed, this film is like a showcase for her talent and hopefully it will lead to further deserved lead role appearances. She can certainly handle such situations on the evidence of this very confident performance.

In conclusion, it is anticipated that I will be giving this film repeated viewing over the coming months just as I have done to 'Dry Spell' previously. Travis Legge has completed a double success as far as I am concerned.

Truth or Dare (2013/II)
Reality of Truth or Dare, 29 August 2014

Having seen three of the female members of the cast - Jessica Cameron, Devanny Pinn and Heather Dorff - on numerous film DVDs, I seized the opportunity to see the UK premiere of Truth or Dare in London where they all had major roles in a film which was the directorial debut of Jessica Cameron. In the previous films seen, I had appreciated that all three possessed the ability to make the maximum impact regardless of the screen time they were allocated and was interested to see how they fared in this film. I was certainly not disappointed.

My attention was immediately captured by the opening scene an credit sequence and remained riveted for the full 84 minutes of the film. At the end of the film, I suddenly realised that I had been watching and thoroughly enjoying a film which apart from the opening few minutes was mainly located in one cramped room with most of the cast remaining in the same floor sitting position during the time that they were on screen. Obviously, it takes a successful combination and blending of various factors to achieve such a high level of audience attention and positive response throughout the length of a film in such a location and scene setting as experienced on this occasion. As far as I am concerned, some of these factors relevant to this film are: (a) Interesting storyline. Truth or Dare certainly possesses an original, imaginative and topical storyline based on the now popular style of Reality TV Shows which injected humour at unexpected moments which was immediately appreciated by the audience judging by the instant laughter generated who recognised the perfect timing by the actors delivering the lines. The story unfolded at a good pace throughout with not one moment of opportunity for the audience to be bored by unwarranted dialogue.

(b) Excellent direction and camera-work. I was particularly impressed with the close up shots of faces and action. All the actors involved were clearly comfortable with the requirement to produce the necessary expressions for the close up sequences. Even the space tightness of the location there was a constant variation between focusing on individuals, couples and groups of characters as well as the occasional complete room location shot. All was very neatly accomplished.

(c) Sound Effects/Soundtrack. Both sound effects and soundtrack were spot on and very effective with a touch or originality and appropriate to the occasion. I will not spoil the enjoyment of the viewing experience by mentioning one particular sound effect which I am sure was much appreciated by my fellow audience members.

(d) Competent Acting. As mentioned previously, I have been impressed in the past productions by the performances of Jessica, Devanny and Heather and their excellent work throughout this film served to enhance their reputations. The other members of the cast, who were well selected, were new names to me but I will certainly be on the lookout for further examples of their work after admiring their contributions to this film. Ryan Kiser gave a flawless performance in a very difficult and demanding role. Many actors would have not been able to resist the temptation to go overboard with the delivery of the role and consequently lose the impact required but Ryan gave a very intelligent performance with astute presentation of verbal and movement requirements.

When considering the mark to award the film, initially I was going to give it 9 out of 10 but on reflection I decided to award it a full 10 marks as I could find no reason to validly deduct a mark.

Dry Spell (2013)
A Bright Dry Spell, 23 February 2013

Suzi Lorraine demonstrated in the film 'Won Ton Baby' her ability to handle comedy roles as well as those in Horror and Thriller genre movies. She has certainly enhanced her fast developing reputation as a versatile actress with her performance in this romantic comedy film. Indeed, I wonder if the producers of 'Dry Spell' were encouraged to cast Suzi in the lead role of Sasha after watching her performance in 'Won Ton Baby'. Once again, she displayed her ability to utilise a range of expressions, gestures and body language to full effect and capture attention as well as deliver hilarious one-liners. Her scenes with Tim Swan, in the role of Jeff towards the end of the film are particularly memorable and well filmed.

'Dry Slip' earned my appreciation with its fresh approach to romantic comedy through original story line and interesting characters which brought a smile to my face on numerous occasions as we follow the romantic misadventures and escapades of Sasha and her husband Kyle played by Kyle Hoskins as they try to disentangle their relationship. The film is ably directed by Travis Legge whose future work will no doubt attract my attention again in the future.

The story is well constructed in neat layers. No time is wasted in introducing the viewer to the principal personalities and the background to their relationships. Plot foundations are firmly laid as the main supporting roles of the couples' friends are introduced. Further developments in the storyline appear in well structured scenes at regular intervals as the plot and characters combine to make compelling viewing as one tries to anticipate how the web of dilemmas and predicaments that the two central characters have found themselves entangled up in is going to be resolved. The final scenes are very effectively produced with the unexpected sudden twist to the story provided in the finishing straight when the humour elements are eclipsed by serious emotional considerations.

The past film acting experience of the cast members ranges from no previous experience to very extensive but they all blend together admirably to present an enjoyable viewing experience. The only names that I recognised from the cast list were those of Suzi and Rachael Robbins ('Bikini Bloodbath' films). As far as the lesser known names were concerned, I was particularly impressed with Amber-Elizabeth Sawyer as Lacey, Deann Baker as Karen and Tim Swan. Deann is a young lady who projects tremendous confidence in her effervescent, bubbling performance and makes the maximum impact in the amount of screen time afforded to her character. Amber-Elizabeth's scenes involving verbal exchanges with Suzi are vital ingredients in propelling the story forward and I look forward to observing how this talented young lady's career progresses. Kyle Hoskins has been perfectly cast as the husband as he radiates warmth and attracts empathy. Kyle's scenes involving his eccentric 'dates' are among the film's highlights.

With regard to the technical aspects of the film, one of my main gripes with films these days is the increasing use of dim lighting and the mumbling delivery of lines by actors when neither is necessary in an effort to create the impression of it being trendy and fashionable film making. I am pleased to report that 'Dry Spell' does not suffer from such irritations as the lighting is consistently bright throughout, focus is sharp and all actors deliver their lines with clarity, and shots are well framed.

It is not often that I view a film again so quickly after the initial viewing but I did so in this case in order to savour several moments enjoyed the first time round.

Game Over (2009/II)
Is the Game Over?, 7 December 2012

I have previously viewed five films directed by Timo Rose (Barricade, Karl the Butcher, Fearmakers, Beast and Unrated: The Movie)and found them all thoroughly entertaining. Seeking good entertainment value is the reason why most of us buy films on DVD so customer satisfaction was achieved on such previous occasions. Therefore, I could not resist the latest offering by Timo especially as it had two of my favourite actresses, Debbie Rochon and Raine Brown, plus Nicola Fiore, who I have seen before but heard some good reports about her past performances, in the lead female roles. I have also seen the male lead, Thomas Kercmar, in at least four films and he always made a favourable impression with his contribution to those films. Add to the above positive points, the fact that the supporting cast contained a host of talented actors and actresses whose work was very familiar to me (often in lead roles themselves) then this became a long awaited 'must buy'. I was certainly not disappointed as all concerned combined to produce a film that hit the target as far as I am concerned.

The film commences at a sedate pace for the opening 20 minutes but then there is an abrupt change of atmosphere when the element of violence is suddenly and unexpectedly introduced in a most effective manner. But, a hint that something sinister and dodgy was lurking in the storyline ready to pounce was provided during a short scene neatly inserted early on.

During the opening period, I particularly enjoyed a scene where Raine, Debbie and Nicola were discussing in a very relaxed manner the merits of various 'A-List Stars' which certainly mirrored my own views. I am sure that such 'Red Carpet' slitherers who as considered 'Mega stars' by some (especially themselves) could not have handled the principal parts any better than the three genuinely talented actresses in this film especially those in the extremely demanding close up scenes. Such scenes are now the hallmark of Timo's work which effectively impact on the senses.

Timo certainly does not rest of his past laurels as far as the presentation of gore special effects is concerned. Most people would have satisfied themselves by just presenting a rehash of previous work with slight variations but Timo and his skilled crew have once again attempted successfully to push the boundaries by their introduction of some innovative special effect stomach churners in a very effective manner.

Raine and Debbie have once again reinforced my opinion of them as two of the best in the business. 100% value and viewing satisfaction guaranteed at all times with these ladies. If I was responsible for drawing up a cast list of actors for any type of role then these two would certainly be on the list purely on the grounds of ability, versatility, reliability and experience. Nicola is now a candidate to add to the list after viewing her performance. I will certainly be seeking our further examples of her work to watch. I sense that Timo may have had these ladies in mind when he scripted the film as they performed the intense, demanding roles, which required changes in personality and attitude to each others character as the situation they found themselves in developed, to perfection. Flawless performances by all three which I admired.

Timo has over the years assembled an enthusiastic, premier league acting and production team who are on the same wavelength as himself. This certainly provides a solid foundation for any independent film production with limited resources. It is noted that a number of people 'helping out' on this film in various capacities are themselves well respected film makers in their own right and Timo can be seen in some of their productions. This seemingly informal arrangement resembles a film making co-operative movement made up of production and acting talent which extends across national boundaries on both sides of the Atlantic - a transatlantic galaxy of talent which proves that human resources can overcome any lack of financial resources. When you blend in acting talents such as Debbie, Raine, Nicola and Manoush then Timo and associates have produced a recipe for success. One can almost sense the energy and enthusiasm of all concerned in the production of films such as 'Game Over'.

Manoush, a dark brooding presence, makes her now expected dramatic visual impression with just her expressions, body language, movements and eye contact. The speaking of lines is a bonus. She is certainly a mistress of the art!! I am always persuaded to press the playback button to watch repeatedly her sequences to catch and appreciate the subtle movements and expressions.

A couple of years ago, a young actress named Magdalena Kalley caught my attention in a minor film role and I have since watched her progress with interest. Magdalena has a substantial and demanding role in this film and she produces a very confident and assured performance which certainly fulfils my high expectations. She has developed a screen presence which immediately attracts the attention of the viewer as soon as she appears in a scene. By the way, Magdalena is also a talented singer and songwriter and her work can be heard on the soundtrack of this film.

The closing fight sequences involving Debbie battling against three 'opponents' in a quest to escape are extremely well staged and create an initial impression that the 'Game is over' ... but is it? Be prepared for the unexpected which is something that regular observers of Timo's work will appreciate.

Wereth Eleven Remembered, 19 September 2012

I first came across a mention of The Wereth Eleven while seeking for further examples of films featuring actor Ken Arnold who had impressed me with his performance in 'The Haunting of Pearson Place'. In 'The Wereth Eleven', Ken convincingly plays the role of a SS Officer and demonstrates his versatility as an actor.

I was rather surprised that I had not previously read or viewed anything which related to an incident at Wereth during World War II which forms the basis for this film. I have been a keen reader of World War II material for many years especially that which relates to the period stretching from the Normandy landings to the end of the War. I immediately delved into my extensive reading and DVD libraries but could not find no mention of the Wereth incident. The impression that I got was that the pages of documentation relating to the Wereth events had been torn out of the history books etc. I even obtained a copy of a US Senate Report dated 1949 into the Malmedy Massacre which contained listings of massacres of prisoners and civilians in the area but there was no mention of what happened at Wereth. The question raised in my mind was a constant 'Why?' It was as if someone was saying Wereth or the men who died there must not be mentioned. Apparently, the people responsible for making this film experienced a similar degree of curiosity which prompted them to investigate the story of the eleven African-American soldiers who were brutally massacred by Nazi SS at a village called Wereth during the Battle of the Bulge. After an internet search for information had drawn a blank, I ordered a copy of the DVD in a quest for enlightenment. The effort was certainly justified after viewing this admirable, well made docu-drama which I would recommend as essential viewing for anyone interested in this period of history.

Full marks must be awarded to the experienced production team for the way in which they have seamlessly dovetailed archive footage with filmed reconstruction and relevant interviews. The film opens with an insightful, well researched background to the regiment and men involved in the incident at Wereth. The subsequent action sequences were particularly impressive and consequently the viewer could not fail to appreciate the fearsome, hostile environment experienced by men under heavy sustained fire and cold climatic conditions. The concluding scenes relating to the actual atrocities could have easily have generated into an outpouring of anger but the producers must be commended on the intelligent way in which they carried out this section with dignity and restraint concentrating on facts which proved to be a very effective method of presenting the case for recognition of the Wereth Eleven and condemnation of the persons responsible for the atrocities.

The overall impression created especially after viewing the additional material presented on the DVD edition that I viewed is that the film-makers were dedicated and devoted to the task of making people aware of the incident at Wereth and the eleven men who seemed to have been forgotten. The docu-drama together with the additional material provide a very informative package. Thanks to the team involved, the families of the men and the villagers of Wereth they will be remembered.

The dead certainly do not leave Pearson Place, 16 August 2012

The viewing of the DVD release of THE HAUNTING OF PEARSON PLACE fulfilled high expectations which had developed over several months as a result of reading favourable comments as the production had developed.

The creepy atmosphere is set within a few seconds during the opening credit sequence and is subsequently built up in a gradual fashion as the process of the examination of the nooks and crannies of the extensive, dilapidated old building is carried out. Fleeting glimpses of apparitions and flashback sequences contribute to the generation and air of mystery. The building seems to develop a personality of its own. The building selection in this instance proves to be a perfect one and the location scout has performed a first class job in finding this particular one.

I was particularly impressed with the character construction and background story which revealed both the strong and weak points of the personalities involved through a mixture of descriptions during dialogue and the viewers own perception in the initial scenes. Events unfold to reveal the emergence of doubts and uncertainty which undermine the assumed strengths of the abilities of the characters and the maintenance of relationships with each other as they struggle through a series of events and circumstances to separate reality from imagination. All four lead performers - Ken Arnold, Julie Price, Regen Wilson and Tracy Teague - manage to convey the mounting strain on the relationships in a highly commendable manner and reveal that they have a clear appreciation of the requirements of writer and director Michael Merino. This was the first time that I had viewed the work of any of these four fine actors and I was very favourably impressed. I will certainly be looking out for more films featuring Regen Wilson who was outstanding.

In a film such as this it is obviously necessary for many scenes to be on the dark side and this is where I must compliment the crew members responsible for the lighting and effects. Even in the scenes mainly lit by lamp and fire, the main elements of room setting and characters' faces were visible thanks to good technique and effective positioning of incidental lighting.

I was initially attracted to the production of this film when I noted that the cast list included Joe Estevez and Suzi Lorraine - a very accomplished and experienced duo who can be depended upon to produce the goods as required. Joe in the role of caretaker captures the attention with his combination of well timed glances, verbal asides and expressions coupled with a tinge of humour whenever he mysteriously appears in a scene before vanishing as quickly as he arrived. Suzi's appearances are not frequent but when she does emerge into a scene it is suddenly and always with maximum impact. She really knows how to make the sparks fly as she demonstrates an ability to make the most effective and dramatic use of screen time.

The successful result of this film arises from a combination of an accomplished cast, excellent storyline and its development, intelligent directing and a very suitable structure called Pearson Place. The conclusion certainly provides scope for a welcome sequel!

Order of One (2006) (V)
Maximum Impact with a touch of comedy, 26 July 2012

ORDER OF ONE has been high on my 'waiting to see' list of films for sometime due to my longtime interest in the old Hong Kong Kung Fu style films and the very favourable impression created by Melantha Blackthorne, the lead actress, in previous films 'Fable - Tooth of the Beast' and 'She Demons of the Black Sun'. Even though the film was made in 2006, it has only recently been released on DVD. An action packed movie was anticipated and I was certainly not disappointed. In fact, it is fair to say that there is something in this film to appeal to many tastes with its combination of various action styles (martial arts, swordplay, gun fights0, comedy and fantasy. There is definitely a seventies grindhouse feel to the production in which the story line proceeds at a steady pace with a stream of action sequences to keep the viewer alert and interested. Indeed, all concerned have managed to serve up a bubbling concoction of enjoyable and entertaining action.

From an explosive start, the high octane action is unrelenting with a stream of car chases, high kicking martial arts fights and shoot outs involving an array of weapons. The fight sequences, which are the film's strong point, were obviously well planned and skilfully executed with perfectly times and co-ordinated movements. This is not surprising considering the high quality film stunt backgrounds of many of the participants. The action moves slickly between appropriate and varied locations (outdoors and indoors) and this maintains the viewer's interest right to the final frames. I was particularly impressed with the filming of the fight sequences with excellent selection of camera angles especially in the scenes where the action takes place in confined spaces. Maximum impact is certainly achieved! The comedy element is neatly entwined mainly through the expressions of the two main male characters played by Jason Cavalier and Kevin Woodhouse and the one line quips delivered by Melantha Blackthorne and her sidekick Danielle Dubois - two young ladies who catch the eye whenever they appear or screen and cannot be ignored! Very often, even in the midst of violence, a rapid change of expression or quick comment injects the appropriate amount of unexpected comedy effect into the mayhem that is unfolding. The appearance of pop up screen captions at various points during action sequences also makes a contribution to the comedy feet with its nod towards action comic and computer game graphics.

Another strong point is found in the filming of the car chase scenes especially when they incorporate blondes with guns.

The producers have made the optimum use of all available resources to achieve a maximum entertaining effect. There is no superfluous dialogue or scene padding and there is a sense throughout the film of the enthusiastic participation of all concerned in the making of the film. In my book, Melantha Blackthorne has consolidated her reputation as a formidable action genre actress whilst I will certainly be on the look out for further films featuring the talents of Jason Cavalier and Kevin Woodhouse.

Necronos (2010)
A Lively 'Undead' Epic, 6 April 2012

The background story is set in medieval times and consumes the opening title sequence at a brisk and gory pace but then rapidly transfers to the present day. Just when the viewer is getting accustomed to a placid transition set within pleasant scenery, the body count accelerates rapidly as the agent of death and destruction gets familiarised with the modern day environment. It is a period of calm before the unrelenting storm of death which follows right to the end.

The producers have assembled a remarkable cast list containing some of the stalwarts of the European horror movie scene. The length of roles vary. In some cases the viewer no sooner appreciates the presence of a familiar face than they have gone - usually as a victim thus giving a new interpretation to the term 'disposable asset'. Some do not hang about for long whilst others are strung up for a longer period. Their presence in the film is much appreciated and adds to the interest factor.

Manoush is an actress who always captures my attention with her ability to make an immediate impact on any scene that she appears in through her eye contact with the camera. In this film she has a substantial amount of time in a familiar type of role as a witch in which she entrances the viewer with a projection of a dark threatening presence involving a penetrating gaze and demented laugh. I have suspicion that there was only one name on the short list of potential actresses to play this part - Manoush. I can think of no other actress who could have performed this role so effectively.

Tanja Karius is a young German actress who has impressed me in the past with her brief appearances in films I have seen her in. I have always felt that this lady deserves a more substantial role which would provide her with the opportunity to make a greater impact. Full marks to Marc Rohnstock for giving her that chance and she certainly repays his confidence in her ability with an excellent performance in a difficult role. Tanja certainly possesses a photogenic presence which is ably captured by the cameraman on this occasion. She is filmed to fullest effect in the scenes which feature beautiful woodland and lakeside.

Amidst the galaxy of well known talent, there was one actress in particular who caught my attention whilst making a debut screen appearance. Saskia Neumueller is a name to watch out for in the future on the evidence of her performance in this film as she displays an innocent and demure personality with sensitivity.

The Special Effects crew have ample opportunity to display their skill when a vast array of weapons are deployed. There is an imaginative use of many familiar household items of equipment and tools in the scenes of carnage which also involve a colourful assortment of liquid and vapour. The SFX people seemed intent on demonstrating their proficiency in the creation of visual effects that can be utilised in scenes depicting every conceivable method of elimination and dispersal. In this case the high quality of their finished product matches the large quantity and variety of special effects utilised in the eruption of spraying, sprinkling and splattering which takes place.

In the midst of the carnage there are moments of a subtle but dark sense of humour on display such as in a scene when a skeleton's arm is used to lift a key off the wall to unlock a door.

In addition to the the special effects and cast performances, another strong positive point to the credit of the film is the admirable choice of locations used in this lively 'undead' two hour epic. These excellent locations feature castles, woodland and a lake. This combination of cast, SFX and locations when combined with a good storyline provide the foundations for a very entertaining and enjoyable viewing experience.

A Good Minty Taste, 4 April 2012

I spotted the DVD of this film whilst searching for a title starring Elina Madison after being impressed with her performance as Elenita in the film Ripped Memories. Prior to seeing her in that film,, I had not viewed any of her previous work. I selected this particular film as it was an example of her recent work and she had the lead role as Minty: The Assassin. Furthermore, it appeared that she would be playing a completely different character to that seen in Ripped Memories. After viewing the film, my optimism about her ability and versatility was certainly confirmed by her all round performance as Minty.

Minty: The Assassin is pure comic book capers brought into movie action and prominently feature the mint chocolate bar munching heroine Minty who takes on a variety of opponents including vampires, zombies, ninjas, zen cowboys with glorious and appropriate comic names such as Sensational Ninja, Bruce Zee, Molly Leviathon, Zen Cowboy and Rat Monster. She goes about her task with gusto whilst displaying her martial arts fighting skills in what turns out to be a very entertaining action/adventure brew. There is something for everybody - a villain for all tastes. Minty displays great powers of perseverance in overcoming the driving forces of these villains en-route to rescuing a friend and eventually assassinating a evil, manipulative, mind controlling doctor. In addition to her acrobatic fighting skills, Minty must also utilise profound intellectual abilities especially when contemplating physics and the universe! Elina fits into the role perfectly as she is able to fully utilise her extensive and varied TV, stage and film experience to good effect as can be appreciated by her body movements (especially in the opening sequence), poses, expressions and eye contact with camera. She would make an excellent photographic model!

The use of cartoon style drawings and animations as scene setters serves to constantly remind the viewer that the story is basically comic book inspired adventure movie. I appreciate that the special graphic effects and animations may appear to be basic and straightforward and some people would have been tempted to utilise to a greater extent the more sophisticated techniques and resources currently available. But by limiting the use of graphics and animations to just appropriate moments as on this occasion the film makers have sensibly served to emphasis that this is just an extension of a comic book.

There are numerous other positives to savour in this film including the performances of Tabitha Taylor who plays Double Delicious - a vampire. This is a role which is tailor made for Tabitha and she plays it with the right injection of humour as and when required. Another actress who captured the attention in a brief role was Jacki R Chan in her well choreographed fight sequence with Elina. A word of praise must also be extended for the soundtrack which contains a variety of musical styles.

If you want to watch a film designed to provide a bit of comic relief and brighten up your day then Minty: The Assassin is a worthy addition to the list of films which will effortlessly achieve such an objective. It is one of those sit back and enjoy the action and fun type of movies.