enkiddu-725-703632

It was supposed to be about a village, wasn't it?, 19 January 2017

As a real fan of MM I've been rather disappointed by the latest episodes. The series has lost its classical touch, all episodes have now the same structure which never changes: in the opening scenes we see a murder being committed, then Barnaby and his sidekick start the investigations, then endless dialogues follow and in the end the identity of the murderer is revealed when this murderer is caught red-handed trying to kill someone else or when the murderer is trying to kill him/herself. And this scheme never changes! Every single episode is built along this structure and this particular episode was no exception, though there was a certain plot twist in the end - the killer almost got killed/wounded himself. About this episode I can say that there was very little told about the village itself, the story was revolving around a group of people that were struggling for restoring to life a deserted village, in the beginning we could see different projects being elaborated (and I really hoped that this episode won't like the previous ones), but then it all boiled down again to ceaseless dialogues about nothing, the village itself got somehow forgotten. My conclusions are simple: if the Midsomer Murders team members don't want to disappoint the fans with identical episodes they MUST find new authors because the actual ones are obviously running out of ideas, they BADLY need fresh ideas and more interesting stories.

The idea is interesting, it's realization bad again, 28 July 2010

A very poor episode. There are many improbabilities here, but, unlike The Sword of Guillaume, the plot is very boring and seems never-ending! My most important observation is about the motives for the murders. A letter??? Just simply a letter? I could've understood if that letter seriously compromised anyone, but, honestly, just a loving letter in which the name of the person is not even mentioned! There are at least three flaws 1) Was the murderer going to kill the whole village for that letter? And why was he so specific? At least two other people held this letter in their hands and could possibly know its contents - why didn't he kill them? What's the point of killing only the possessors? That sounds very implausible. 2) How could that letter compromise the murderer? There could have been an explanation - he was afraid that he's wife might learn about it. But what difference does it make for him in particular? He's not dependent on his wife, on the contrary, he is the big boss and he treats her as a servant! So, he had nothing to be afraid of. Even if that letter goes to public (which is doubtful by itself) he would lose nothing, 'cause even his name is not mentioned there. 3) Joyce Barnaby seems to have a perfect memory! She used to work as spy, I'm sure! Being for the first time in a unknown place among unknown people, she fixed everything in her head, every detail, every movement, every object! She has a computer instead of the head! If you ask me what I did a week ago, where I was, who wore what and what was lying where, I will be unable to answer any of this questions! I won't even be able to tell, what my colleagues at work wore today! But Joyce Barnaby remembers every detail, like her forgetful husband, who usually remembers something highly important within the final minutes of the film. Anyway, even without these three big mistakes the plot is very ordinary, there's nothing special in the episode, it's very conservative and conventional. I didn't enjoy it much, and the final scene disappointed me greatly. Very poor. I'm displeased.

A very interesting episode, 28 July 2010

This particular episode left in me some very contradictory feelings. On the one hand, it's full of some improbable and far-fetched things, first of all, did the authors of the episode every consider how heavy a real (!) medieval sword might be? It's not a toy and a woman would hardly be able to carry it, I don't even speak of hiding it in an invalid wheel-chair! Then, how did Marcia get into the horror-house or whatever it was? How was she able to make a very professional blow cutting the head off? I am an amateur of medieval role games that might include swords too and can assure anyone that to make a good exact blow without practice is almost impossible. She might have been training somewhere of course, but still it's very implausible. Those who know how to handle a sword will understand me. But all that doesn't mean that the episode is bad - on the contrary, it's just super, this time Aitkens did not disappoint me. The plot is very original, the motives for murders are very unusual, the situation itself has very little in common with previous episodes which gives it a touch of freshness. The actors give a very convincing performance. And I agree with previous comments, the medieval subject in this film makes it very mysterious. For the first time in the last two or three seasons I am totally content. The MM team has done an excellent work! P.S. Someone might complain that the first murder again happens very late, almost in the middle of the film, but it's the personal mark of Aitkens - in his episodes that I consider the best in the MM series (except Secrets ans Spies) the first murder always happens very late. This episode is no exception! And many other moments usual for Aitkens are present in it, so even if I hadn't known who'd written it I would have guessed all the same!

A third disappointment in a row, 3 May 2010

After "The Creeper" and "Small mercies" this is the third episode in a row that evoked in me nothing but disappointment. I totally agree with previous reviews, the episode is very weak, the plot improbable, the sleepwalking theme not elaborate and far-fetched, the circle of suspects very narrow so that there is almost no-one to choose! The traditional romantic affair with one woman and too young handsome guys is just tiresome. As it was mentioned in one of the previews above, the whole story with special equipment for driving Connie mad is absolutely implausible. I don't even speak about the identity of the murderer - when he was revealed I could hardly remember who he was because he had appeared before only a couple of minutes! And I didn't understand anything about the motives 'cause English is not my mother tongue, but, honestly, I didn't have any wish to re-watch important moments to understand correctly the sense of the plot - I was too tired of it. And that intrigues me because Hoskins' scripts are usually very good. But I must admit - I enjoyed the performance by Nancy Carrol and Bertie Carvel, though their relationship didn't convince me very much - staying for the night in a woman's house for no sex - ha-ha, even kids will not believe it. On the whole this season seems to be the most weak of all - no decent episodes to remember and to re-watch!!! One must immediately save my favourite series!

Nothing significant, 3 May 2010

While watching this episode I always had an impression that Payne had very little time to invent something decent and was in a hurry. After the brilliant "The Dogleg Murders" - a total blunder. The plot is absolutely not worked through, contains too many clichés repeated many times in previous episodes. The whole plot seems not plausible enough! Why was it so much important to keep secret the real identity of Freddy? Maybe I misunderstood something, still, the final solution disappointed me greatly. The circle of suspects was very narrow, some of the characters appear maximum twice, everything goes around three or four characters and it's not very difficult to guess who of them "dunnit". But that an old lady-invalid was also took part in murders - that is something really unusual! And absolutely improbable. The characters still are vary pale, clichéd, no touch of personality, the plot rather boring than exciting and absolutely not convincing. The second murder seemed to me out of place, one could've easily done without it, but it was necessary 'cause without a second murder the plot would've been too much boring. And the identity of the Creeper becomes evident right from the scene with the dinner in Freddy's honour! Honestly, I wasn't impressed, I could hardly wait till the end of the film without awaiting anything striking - and nothing didn't really happen. So, the episode is mediocre, below average

Very poor, 3 May 2010

"Small mercies" is the work by Peter J. Hammond. He is my least preferred script-writer for MM, because all his scripts go along the same scheme that does never change! "Small mercies" is no exception, if you compare this episode to previous Hammond's works, you'll see they are all alike! "Dark Autumn" + "Death and Dreams" + "Bad tidings" + "Things that go bump in the night" + "Dead letters" + "Dance with the Dead": 1) the murder occurs right in the end of the film, or the body is discovered, the police cars arrive, the whole village is alert. We never know anything about the victim 2) all these episodes contain a "psycho" touch, the murderer is usually mentally deranged or is a little bit mad or plays some bizarre tricks (like in Bad tidings). 3) The character in Hammonds scripts are very pale, not elaborate, they evidently serve as the background - sometimes too much, like in "Dance with the Dead" where the murderer is shown twice before the exposing but other characters are still so insignificant that it's palpable right from the start! 4) When the murderer recounts his "deeds" he begins with the last murder and then goes to the first one. The only exception is "Bad Tidings" - I really enjoyed that episode but it also fits very well in the usual Hammond's scheme. So, "Small Mercies" is made in the same patterns, without any changes, so right at the beginning one can guess who is the murderer - like I did. So, this episode doesn't deserve a high vote - 2 out 10. Very poor.

Boring, 3 May 2010

"The Glitch" is a very boring episode, I could hardly watch it to the end. Unlike "The Magician's Nephew", this work by Michael Russel is rather dull. The plot goes on very slowly, the only exciting point - the attacks of the bucket-man. But the rest of the film was full of clichés: the murder of a young girl, classical "red herrings", the second murder which happened right after the fatal words of Phil Jackson... The author of the script endeavoured to convince the audience that the murders were somehow connected with Kernal logic and that the real target was Jeffers, but all those "red herrings" obviously were false and led nowhere, it would've been so easy if the murderer were Clinton Finn. So, when the truth is revealed in the end, I just shook my head, acknowledging that the solution was reasonable enough, but still that fact didn't change anything: the episode remains pale and not impressive. Below average, I suppose.

Rather good, 29 April 2010

I wouldn't say that this episode is bad, but there are some very weak points in this movie. First of all, a very narrow circle of suspects. After the death of Eddie Marston there is no-one else left to suspect except Gina Colby! No-one is literally left! And when the truth is revealed, on can feel a slight touch of disappointment: it's so predictable... Sure, in the series about murders one can hardly escape repetitions and clichés, still the authors have to invent something new, otherwise the series will become dull and boring. This episode contained almost everything MM has produced before, so it's really average, or maybe a little bit higher then that level... Maybe because Clare Higgins gave here a great performance?

I support those who liked it, 29 April 2010

I support those who consider this episode as good enough. How can one say that this episode is the worst of all MM episodes?! Has anyone watched "Sins of Commission"?! That is indeed the worst episode! Has anyone watched "Misomer Life"? That is a total disaster! Compared to them "Shot at Dawn" is a masterpiece! And you should learn to recognise the pen of Michael Aitkens - in his scripts the first murder always happens very late because he wants to create a special psychological atmosphere for it. I agree that all those electronic matters look very far-fetched and unconvincing, but in the whole I wouldn't sentence this episode to death. The intrigue is rather interesting, some moments, like the "execution" of Henry Hammond, are very original. Nah, definitely one of the best episodes!

Beyond expectation, 29 April 2010

The best episode of the season! I sincerely enjoyed it, David Lawrence did nice work, his previous episode, "Death in Chorus", was much worse. And I must admit that I do not like to be more clever then the author of a detective story, if I guess rightly who is the murderer I always get disappointed, if I'm wrong and the murderer is a person that I never even thought of - though I'm beaten, but I'm pleased and surprised. This time I was content: the murderer turned out to be the person that I crossed out from the list of the suspects at once! The end was a big surprise to me! One can hardly find "weak spots" in this episode except, perhaps, excessive cruelty in murdering the poor victims. And of course, the tragic story had to take place almost at the same time as Cully's wedding, it couldn't have been otherwise! Still, the story is fresh and entertaining, the mystery "misterious enough"... Maybe only one small point... The relationships between the people are so weird, as if they all are mortal fiends one to another... One murders the friend of the bride so easily, then 2 more people without any regrets, a man is ready to murder his brother for his wife with whom he had been having an affair before the wedding... Strange is all this somehow...