lesleyharris30

Page 1 of 120:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Well Acted, Albeit not very Thrilling,, 30 June 2015

The Lincoln Lawyer is a good movie with a reasonably well developed storyline and a great cast. It won't keep you at the edge of your seat, but what Lincoln Lawyer lacks it mostly makes up for with Matthew McConaughey, who delivers a terrific performance as Mick Haller, his character has many different mood swings throughout the film, and he does all of these parts very well, there are also impressive performances from the likes of William H. Macy, Marisa Tomei and the great Bryan Cranston. It calls itself a thriller but I really wouldn't consider it that, it's a crime drama, referring to this film as a thrilling is making us expect a lot of very intense scenes and some twists and turns throughout, none of that is seen here, it's a very bland story. No scene comes unexpectedly or suddenly, there is always build up to it and you always know, in a way, what is going to happen next, it's very predictable, there is nothing about the story that stands out and makes it unique from any other crime film. It may be the most innocent film to be considered a thriller, but the Lincoln Lawyer is still an enjoyable film mostly because of a very dedicated performance from McConaughey, and I would recommend it as a good drama to watch if you ever see it on television or Netflix and have some time to kill.

A lawyer believes he has made a huge mistake after he moves from representing lowlifes to defending an LA rich kid.

Best Performance: Matthew McConaughey Worst Performance: John Leguizamo

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

Funny and Entertaining, that's all it needs to be,, 30 June 2015

Wet Hot American Summer is a great movie with a very well written storyline and a fantastic comedic cast. It's a really fun movie as we follow a dozen different characters on their last day of summer camp, hoping to achieve all the goals they hadn't done the entire time they were there, it's very funny, with so many jokes that you would have to watch it again to hear the ones that you missed previously. I felt like the film was missing a lead role, something every movie should have, it's weird to see a movie where every character is likable and there isn't any sort of villain role either, this is certainly a problem as it dosen't have a character the holds the movie, but it isn't a huge concern. The entire cast is terrific, they all seemed very dedicated and interested in their characters, they were all clearly having a ton of fun making this, which will come as no surprise, and the chemistry is superb. Simple, mindless fun, Wet Hot American Summer isn't for everyone, but the people that enjoy this sense of humour will definitely like it, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good comedy.

A group of camp counselors and camp attendants try to complete all their unfinished goals as they begin their final day of summer camp.

Best Performance: David Hyde Pierce Worst Performance: Judah Friedlander

Minions (2015)
Lacks Heart, but All Ages should be Entertained,, 29 June 2015

Minions is a great movie with a well developed storyline and a terrific voice cast. Despite people's love for these characters, it seemed like a big risk to give the minions their own solo movie, for the fact that they can't speak, but it worked out very well and is probably one of the most impressive spin off movies to date, something Hiollywood have gotten right on very few occasions, the characters are very lovable and we genuinely care for them and support them in their journey. It suffers from the same problem a lot of these animated spin offs have (Penguins of Madagascar, Puss in Boots, etc.), it dosen't have as much heart as the movies it is spun off from have, no scenes that warm the audiences heart and make us feel sympathetic towards the characters to the same degree we do for Gru and his daughters, this is something I think should always be evident in animated films and it is a huge loss when it isn't. The voice cast is outstanding and certainly the highlight of the movie, Peter Coffin is obviously superb as every single minion, and there are also great roles from Sandra Bullock, Jon Hamm, Michael Keaton, Allison Janney and Geoffrey Rush, who all sounded like they really enjoyed delivering these characters dialogue and wern't just in it for the pay check. It's certainly not perfect, but Minions is definitely a very fun and enjoyable ride that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good family film.

After searching for someone to serve, the Minions become recruits for Scarlet Overkill, who hatches a plan to take over England, and eventually the world.

Magic Mike (2012)
Very Slow Comedy, but brings in Great Laughs and Performances,, 27 June 2015

Magic Mike is a good movie with a well developed storyline and an impressive cast. It's an enjoyable movie that brings in many laughs, as well as terrific performances from the entire cast, the chemistry between everyone is great, particularly the parts between Channing Tatum and Cody Horn, they both seemed to really enjoy being in each other's company and their scenes were very natural. It's a really slow movie and can admittedly get very boring at times, there are a lot of very lengthy scenes were the characters are literally just talking, while they are well acted and serve as a great method for character development, they can still get very tedious, they could have easily trimmed a lot of scenes and made it a more bearable ninety minute run. The highlight of the movie is definitely Matthew McConaughey, playing a character unlike one he has ever played before, he is very natural and charismatic in the role of Dallas, his scenes certainly had me entertained the most. It may be very slow, but Magic Milke is still an enjoyable movie that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good, easy to watch, comedy if you ever see it on television and had some time to kill.

A male stripper teaches a newcomer how to handle the lifestyle, while a relationship develops between him and the newcomers sister.

Best Performance: Matthew McConaughey Worst Performance: Olivia Munn

A Depressing Farewell to a Likable Character,, 25 June 2015

Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles is an awful movie with a very poorly written storyline and a cast that just don't seem interested. I wasn't a huge fan of the first Dundee, it was watchable and quite funny and that was about it, the second one was much worse, losing a lot of the heart and humour that made the original so loved, but this one completely runs it all down in to the ground, the set up of the story is ridiculous and even the title will tell you that they completely sold out with this sequel. The majority of the cast seemed to have no interest being in this film, except for Paul Hogan, who does honestly in all three movies keep the same confidence and charisma that is definitely needed to play this character, his acting is certainly not the reason the film stumbles, it's mostly the script. This film has a problem that a lot of comedy sequels seem to have, they just mess around for most of the movie, basically watching the actors do a bunch of stupid things for the first hour and then desperately trying to cram in a story for the final thirty minutes, comedies are obviously suppose to be funny but when you're just making jokes for an immensely long time and not focusing on the story one bit, it can get unbearable for the audience, particularly when the jokes aren't funny. A finale that will surely disappoint fans of the Dundee series and very few laughs, I would not recommend Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles to anyone.

Crocodile Dundee most move to Los Angeles with son, where he gets caught up in a lot of trouble.

Best Performance: Paul Hogan Worst Performance: Mike Tyson

Every Rom-Com Cliché is Evident in this Extreme Mess,, 24 June 2015

Valentine's Day is a brutal movie with a very poorly developed storyline and a star studded cast that sadly aren't enough to make this any bit more watchable. It has some good moments, the part at the end with Julia Roberts is nice and the scenes between Hector Elizondo and Shirley MacLaine are very well acted, but any sort of joy and sympathy these scenes bring us are destroyed by the many endless, predictable and boring ones. Every story in this would have been better if they were there own movie, Ashton Kutcher and Jessica Biel's story could have been good as a solo movie and Jamie Foxx's story definitely could have made for an original romantic comedy, but when we put all these stories together we never get to see as much as we could with any, all the characters are very underdeveloped, we forget about most of them when they aren't shown for a while, and other stories literally go nowhere, the characters are in the same position that they were at the start of the film (such as Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner's parts), which is completely pointless. There are also some offensive moments in this film, some parts are quite racist, there are some homophobic jokes made towards the end and it's portrayal of both men and women is generally very typical. I did not have a good time watching this movie, and unless you love romantic comedies no matter what, I would not recommend Valentine's Day.

The lives of several couples and singles collide when they make up and break up during Valentine's Day.

Best Performance: Hector Elizondo Worst Performance: Jessica Alba

An Unforgetful Performance from De Niro,, 23 June 2015

The King of Comedy is a fantastic movie with a very well developed storyline and a terrific cast. It's a huge satire on fame, comedy and trying to make it big in show business, it's quite funny but not necessarily in a way that you will be laughing out loud, I remained quiet throughout but there was always a humorous atmosphere, it speaks a lot of truth, I feel, to just how far some people would go in order to get the fame they believe they deserve. The only thing about this movie that sort of bothered me were Rupert's fantasies, these scenes were never really clear, I felt they needed more purpose, given us more insight on him, what his motivations are, how he is feeling, these parts could have added a whole new layer to the character, but I don't feel they succeeded in that. The cast is outstanding, no one holds back, Jerry Lewis and Sandra Bernhard are great and the movie wouldn't be the same without them, but the majority of credit must go to Robert de Niro, who I always knew was a good actor but never knew he could play a character like this, it's far from the Godfather of Raging Bull, it's a very troubled comedian, who starts off very likable, and as the film continues he becomes more of an anti-hero, what I loved about Rupert Pupkin is that he never saw bad in what he was doing, he came across as a reasonable and sensible person when he speaks, but it was clear that he would stop at nothing for a bit of recognition. Funny, discomforting and an pessimistic atmosphere throughout, I would recommend the King of Comedy to anyone looking for a drama or dark comedy.

A wannabe comedian develops a desperate plan for stardom he believes he truly deserves.

Best Performance: Robert de Niro Worst Performance: Liza Minnelli

A Guilty Pleasure, Simple Fun,, 22 June 2015

A Night at the Roxbury is a great movie with a well written storyline and an outstanding comedic cast. It's a really funny movie, I know there isn't much about it that makes it an excellent, unforgettable comedy, but I simply have so much fun whenever I watch it, it's really simple, the storyline is easy to follow and every scene is basically just a set up for some pure laughs between Ferrell and Kattan. It's certainly not a perfect movie and it has many flaws, the first hour of the movie barely has a story, and they're clearly trying their best to cram in a bit of a storyline in the last half hour, also some jokes were repeated much too often and others went further than necessary. The cast are certainly the movies highlight and if it wasn't for the fact that they all were clearly having a great time filming this and seemed interested, this movie would have been terrible, obviously the most praise must go to Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan, but there are also some very funny and memorable performances from the likes of Richard Grieco, Dan Hedaya, Loni Anderson, Meredith Scott Lynn and, one of my favourite characters in this film, Lochlyn Munro. It's definitely not perfect, but if you find the two leads as likable as I do then you're sure to enjoy A Night at the Roxbury, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good comedy.

Two brothers, Doug and Steve Butabi, try to follow their dreams of starting their own night club, but this becomes an issue when they can't get in to the biggest one in town, the Roxbury.

Best Performance: Will Ferrell Worst Performance: Gigi Rice

A More Violent and Intense Bond for the 80's,, 19 June 2015

Licence to Kil is a great movie with a very well developed storyline and a talented cast. It's action packed and entertaining, a lot of people didn't like Timothy Dalton's James Bond but I think he was terrific, he's very confident and charismatic in the role, and he also brought his own original take on the portrayal of the character, he wasn't just going with the way Connery or Moore did it. The set up for the movie is good and it's more personal than a 007 film usually is, but they should have shown how close Bond was with this friend of his, they did to a certain degree, but they really should have conveyed it more and made it emotional, to let us know how much this man meant to him so we would understand his intentions more for the rest of the movie. It's one of he most violent Bonds I have seen yet, it dosen't hold back like the films proceeding it did quite regularly, and the finale is absolutely outstanding, it's very intense and it left my mind blown, incredible film making. More violent and dramatic than previous editions of the franchise, Licence to Kill is a really great movie that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good action or adventure film.

Agent 007 is in pursuit of a brutal drugs baron who is responsible for killing his best friend and his wife.

Best Performance: Timothy Dalton Worst Performance: Benicio Del Toro

It May have some Imperfections, but as a Western, it's a Pure Classic,, 19 June 2015

The Magnificent Seven is a good movie with a well developed storyline and a fantastic cast. It's a fun, loud and fact paced film, it goes by very quickly, the cast is outstanding, the chemistry between them all is superb, it features Steve McQueen in one of his first major roles and one of the greatest movie soundtracks of all time. It's certainly enjoyable and is well considered a classic, but as an overall film, it has problems that I need to address, first of all I think the scenes that are suppose to be viewed as severe and intense are quite poorly executed, I felt like the actors were holding back a bit for these parts and weren't expressing the emotions as well as they should have here, I think the music should have been darker to add to the effect and it needed a bigger build up. The end of the film is a bit of a mess, as I said it goes by very fast, but the finale feels way too rushed, they are trying desperately to tie up every single loose end and the finale scene is very anti-climatic, for characters I had been following for two hours, I wanted a better farewell. It has its blemishes here and there, but the Magnificent Seven is still an enjoyable film with memorable performances and a superb soundtrack, if you ever see it on television and are looking for a good western, it's certainly worth the watch.

An oppressed peasant village assembles seven gunfighters to help defend them.

Best Performance: Steve McQueen Worst Performance: Horst Buchholz