lesleyharris30

Page 1 of 107:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Hard Eight (1996)
A Well Written,Character Driven Story,, 27 January 2015

Hard Eight is a terrific movie with a very well developed storyline and a terrific cast.The storyline is not extremely interesting or exciting,it all relies on writing and performances ,two things which I think this movie succeeds very well at,if the characters dialogue wasn't so well written and the actors failed to deliver natural performances then this movie surely would have failed,but it did very well on both grounds.The best performance has to go to Phillip Baker Hall,his character was very unique compared to anyone I've seen in any other movie and was certainly given the best lines,Sydney is a very memorable character.I don't have much complaints about this movie,I'm giving it an eight because I didn't think it was outstanding,but it knows what it wanted to be and certainly succeeded at that.It has great characters and very natural performances,I would recommend Hard Eight to anyone looking for a good drama or crime film.

Two men who make a living conning casinos are threatened by a security adviser.

Best Performance: Phillip Baker Hall Worst Performance: F. William Parker

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

Not a Season 15 Highlight,but a Fun Episode,, 27 January 2015

The Wandering Juvie is a great Simpsons episode with a well written storyline and loads of very funny scenes.Its certainly not a highlight of the Fifteenth Season but it is still a fun episode.I enjoyed seeing Bart in a juvenile detention centre,a place we all saw his character going eventually and was not disappointed with the way it played out in this episode.Gine was a great character and I really liked Sarah Michelle Gellar's voice work ,she is one of my favourite of Barts love interests,she was very different than anyone he's ever been with before and there dialogue was terrific.I also enjoyed seeing Homer as a guard at the juvie,but this was only a small scene that I thought would play an important part in the episode,it was an interesting concept that I think the writers should consider some time.Not a classic episode,but the Wandering Juvie is still a very enjoyable Simpsons episode.

Bart is sent to juvie,where a girl named Gina forces him to escape with her.

Get Low (2009)
Enjoyable Drama that isn't Extremely Breathtaking but Good while it Lasts,, 23 January 2015

Get Low is a good movie with a well developed storyline and a talented cast.Its enjoyable,it is certainly nothing breathtaking that lifted my spirits after watching it or gave me any of those good feelings after watching a well written drama,I think it could have had more scenes where the characters get very serious and personal with each other,it certainly would have helped the performance,I felt like Robert Duvall easily could have gotten an Oscar nomination for this character that didn't seem easy to play,but the fact that there just aren't enough scenes were he can really embrace himself is a problem.Duvall and Bill Murray are certainly the right casting choice,they are both characters that didn't seem very easy to portray as likable,but getting those two to play them made it a safe bet,Felix is an arrogant man the minute we see him,but because he's played by such a beloved actor we give him the benefit of the doubt and the fact that they're played by two actors that can do that really helped this movie.Its nothing outstanding,I probably won't see it again,but Get Low is unique and enjoyable enough to for me to say that it is worth a watch if you ever see it on television,it's short,sweet and you won't regret it.

A mysterious hermit decides to host his own funeral,while people struggle to distinguish the truth about him.

Best Performance: Robert Duvall Worst Performance: Lucas Black

Foxcatcher (2014)
Interesting True Story with a Thrilling Atmosphere Throughout,, 21 January 2015

Foxcatcher is a fantastic movie with a very well developed storyline and an outstanding cast.Its based on a true story,one that I never knew about,and didn't bother learning anything about it so I would be surprised with what was to come,and it certainly kept me at the edge of my seat.Though the movie isn't a thriller for the majority,there is a constant creepy and unpleasant atmosphere throughout,you can tell that something big is coming.This atmosphere is mostly conveyed by Steve Carell,who delivers an absolutely terrific performance that is nothing like what he's done previously,he is a complete creep and it is certainly uncomfortable watching this character,but in a very enjoyable way,it was amazing to see a man who played Michael Scott and Brick Tamland now take on such a very different character,and do so with such grace.Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo also do an amazing job,you can tell in many scenes that they got in to these characters as much as they possibly could,their mannerisms and speech are very different and both deliver one of their finest performances to date.I do feel like the movie struggled a bit to find their leading man,which was a bit of an issue,for a while it was mainly Tatum,but it stopped following him and jumped to Carell a bit and then to Ruffalo briefly,this isn't a huge issue but I felt like it should have focused on one character as the leading role and not jump around characters.A dramatic and well acted movie that I will certainly watch again,I would recommend Foxcatcher to anyone looking for a good biography or drama.

Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) is finally getting the recognition as a wrestler he dreamed of after getting in to business with Team Foxcatcher,led by the very successful John du Pont (Steve Carell),but all may not be as good as it seems.

Best Performance: Steve Carell Worst Performance: Anthony Michael Hall

Not Fun or Different Enough to be an Impressive Sequel,, 20 January 2015

The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a very mediocre movie with a decent storyline that dosen't try too hard to be different from its predecessor,and a promising cast that sadly didn't seem very inspired.It saddened me that Steven Spielberg actually made this movie because it just didn't feel like he enjoyed making this as much as he did the original Jurassic Park and it seemed like it was only for the sake of money this time around,it also felt like he was mimicking his own work in many parts.While it does look beautiful,it simply isn't as enjoyable story wise and I don't care for these characters as much,Roger Ebert made a great statement when he said that the cast were acting like they were in a movie about dinosaurs,but not like they were experiencing the danger of real dinosaurs,and this is definitely true,save Julianne Moore and Pete Postlethwaite,as these actors really felt like they were doing this movie for the cheque and didn't get too interested in their characters.It has its moments but The Lost World: Jurassic Park is a huge disappointment and I would only recommend it if you really want to finish the series.

When a second island of dinosaurs is revealed it arouses the interest of several scientists and mercenaries.

Best Performance; Julianne Moore Worst Performance: Richard Schiff

Funny Episode with a Hint of Sweetness,, 20 January 2015

The Fat and the Furriest is a great Simpsons episode with a well written storyline and a lot of very funny scenes.Its definitely not the worst,or the best,episode of the fifteenth season,it's right in the middle,I've seen it many times and,although it would never go on my list of favourite Simpsons episodes,I always thoroughly enjoy it.The beginning of the episode was a little ridiculous,as we see Homer practically fall in love with a big ball of cotton candy,but then it took a better turn as we see Homer struggle with the embarrassment he suffered from being caught startled from a bear,and eventually heading out to seek revenge on him with Lenny,Carl and Bart,his scenes with the bear were very funny and those are definitely the episodes highlights.The Fat and the Furriest is not the Simpsons at their finest,but it's still a lot of fun.

After Homer is considered a coward after being caught startled from a bear,he heads out to seek vengeance on this creature.

Her (2013)
Sweet and Somewhat Intense Look at what the World could be Coming to,, 18 January 2015

Her is a great movie with a very well developed storyline and a terrific cast.It is a very deep look at technology and the effects it could have on our future,I feel like the type of relationship Joaquín Phoenix's character has with this device could actually happening in the near future and I was shocked with how much it actually frightened me,because this movie dosen't try to do that,it tries to be sweet and romantic with these two characters, which it does do a great job at,but at times I really thought about the fact that he was communicating with an electronic device,and it surprisingly isn't too far fetched from the world we live in today.The dialogue between Theodore and Samantha is extremely well written,Spike Jonze did a great job developing these characters very emotional,albeit strange,relationship and he totally earned his Academy Award.I think this movie definitely could have benefited with more scenes of Theodore going on dates with real women,one of the biggest reasons why he fell in love with Samantha was because he couldn't connect with any woman that he tried dating,but the movie simply didn't show this enough,I think we could have seen him go on at least two more dates,just so it could elaborate more on why he was falling in love with this computer in the first place.A very unique and heartwarming story that can be a bit intense at times,Her is a delightfully unique movie that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good drama or romance.

Struggling to find real human connection since his wife left him,Theodore (Joaquín Phoenix) starts to fall in love with an operating system that is able to communicate with him.

Best Performance: Joaquin Phoenix Worst Performance: Matt Letscher

The Dialogue and Perfornances are an Absolute Delight,, 18 January 2015

The Descendants is a fantastic movie with a very well developed storyline and an outstanding cast.This film is very true and honest that it actually makes it difficult to watch at times,George Clooney's character is so human and life like,the way reacts to these tuff situations feels like the exact way I would as well,we follow these characters as they face a very tuff time in their lives,we are interested and support the decisions they make throughout.The performances are absolutely magnificent,.George Clooney delivers some of the best acting of his career thus far,but even the cast of mostly unknown people at the time are still well able to act alongside Clooney with no sense of nervousness or lack of confidence,particularly Shalllene Woodley,who is huge today but at this time was very unknown,but her acting,especially the scenes with her dad or when she confronts her mother,is magnificent,she got to shine in many scenes and its no wonder she's doing so well today.Depressing,dramatic and sometimes a bit of a tearjerker,the Descendants is a very powerful,character driven movie that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good drama.

After his wife's accident, a man must reconnect with his daughters and decide whether to sell their families land.

Best Perfornance: George Clooney Worst Performance: Beau Bridges

Very Funny Parody of Romantic Comedies,Great Fun to Watch with Friends,, 17 January 2015

They Came Together is a great movie with a well written storyline and a terrific comedic cast.It is absolutely ridiculous filled with stupid humour and purposely poor acting from start to finish,it is certainly not for everyone.I think the rating it has on this is way too harsh and that's clearly because this type of comedy is either something you love or hate,but at at least one part in every scene had me in stitches,I watched it with a few friends,which I think is the best way to watch this,as you'll appreciate the stupidity more.Paul Rudd and Amy Poehler are the perfect casting choice for this type of movie,they both clearly knew how romantic comedies work and were able to play the cliché movie couple very well.I don't particularly think that it would be worth paying money for,but if you have Netflix or any other easy method of watching this movie you should definitely check it out,I would recommend They Came Together to anyone looking for a fun comedy.

A couple reminisce with their friends about hoe they met and how the story of their relationship is just like a cheesy romantic comedy.

Best Performance: Paul Rudd Worst Performance: Yeyonah Parris

Thrilling and Unpredictable from Start to Finish,, 15 January 2015

The Talented Mr. Ripely is a brilliant movie with a really well developed storyline and an outstanding cast.It is an absolute thrill ride from start to finish,from the moment we meet Tom Ripely we do feel a sense of danger,as if this man may not be as innocent as he appears,but what is to come is totally unexpected and this is easily one of the most unpredictable films I've ever seen,I couldn't tell anything that was coming,Ripely is a very strange character and you really don't know what he's capable of.The cast is outstanding, this character is nothing like any other role Matt Damon has played and he does a terrific job of conveying an anti-hero that the audience will support but feel bad as they're doing it, joining him are several other terrific actors,including Gwyneth Paltrow,Jude Law,Cate Blanchett and Phillip Seymour Hoffman,each of their performances and characters provide a huge contribution and important plot points to this film.It will keep you at the edge of your seat and you won't be able to see whats coming,I would recommend the Talented Mr. Ripely to anyone looking for a good thriller.

Tom Ripely is sent to Italy to retrieve a US playboy,but his mission takes an unexpectedly dark turn when things don't go his way.

Best Performance: Matt Damon Worst Performance: Jack Davenport