cosmo_tiger

Page 1 of 166:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Logan (2017)
Not as good as the Dark Knight, but like that movie this one can appeal to more than just the core comic book audience., 22 May 2017

"The world is not the same as it was." In the future mutants are scarce and Logan (Jackman) is trying to hide from the world while caring for an ailing Professor X (Stewart). When someone finds him and asks for help he does his best to ignore them, but then he sees something that changes everything. Now Logan, Charles, and a girl are trying to find their way to Eden and finally find a peaceful life. This is one of the best comic book movies I have seen. The fact that this is R rated really helped the movie. The brutality and in-tenseness of the violence really helps you get fully invested in the film. My big hit against the Marvel/Avenger movies is that there is never any real drama and they are all cookie cutter and repetitive. The new X-Men series has continued the standard started by the Nolan Batman saga in that it is possible to make a comic book movie when the characters have real depth and emotion and a gripping adult story line. This movie contains all of that and more. You almost forget this is a superhero movie, and that is a good thing. The movie is brutal and very bloody, but again it really adds to the feel and the movie needs to show that Logan has changed. The previous stand alone Wolverine movies have not been good at all, but this one more than makes up for them. This is a movie I highly recommend whether you are a comic book movie fan or not. Overall, not as good as the Dark Knight, but like that movie this one can appeal to more than just the core comic book audience. I give this an A-.

This is a movie that many people will probably like, but for me it was just a mistake in Damon's career, 22 May 2017

"Trust in each other in all ways at all times." William (Damon) and his partner are searching the Chinese countryside looking for black powder to take back to his city. One night they are attacked by a strange creature and then captured by an army. While they are being told of their punishment the army is attacked and William steps in to help defend the wall. This act of courage catches the eye of the generals and William changes from being an outlaw and a thief to a defender and leader. This is a movie that is hard to talk about. The premise isn't all that terrible, but the movie is so over the top cheesy that all of the drama is lost in the laughter. The best part about the movie is that it moves quick and there is a lot of action. On the other hand, the action and the creature battles are the cheesiest parts of the movie. This is a movie that many people will probably like, but for me it was just a mistake in Damon's career. Overall, it's a good thing the movie moved quick because it would have been hard to watch otherwise. I give this a C.

Get Out (2017/I)
This is a movie that is one that needs to be seen, talked about and understood in ways that horror movies usually aren't, 22 May 2017

"I told you not to go into that house." Chris Washington (Kaluuya) and Rose (Williams) have been dating for awhile and Rose is finally ready to introduce Chris to her family. Almost immediately Chris feels something is strange with the family and the longer he stays the more bizarre and terrifying things become. This is one of the most disturbing movies I have seen in a long time. There are horror movies and then there are movies like this. This movie is very real that's what makes it disturbing. The movie deals with race issues in a way that may make some people uncomfortable, but that's the point of the movie. This is a movie that is one that needs to be seen, talked about and understood in ways that horror movies usually aren't. This is not just a horror movie it is an important film that I recommend. Overall, disturbingly real and that's what makes it a horror movie. I give this an A-.

Rings (2017)
A rare sequel that is really good, worth watching and one that I can surprisingly recommend for fans of the series., 1 May 2017

"Having a vision doesn't mean you know what that vision means." Julia (Lutz) is trying to adjust to her boyfriend Holt (Roe) leaving for college. They would talk every night but suddenly all communication stops. After receiving a strange call Julia drives to find out what happened to Holt. What she finds is a group of students trying to break the curse of Samara. After Julia watches the tape things change and she sees visions that convince her she is the one to end the curse once and for all. This is a movie I have to admit I had pretty low expectations for. I thought the original was a better movie but the second one scared me a little more. The fact that the recent sequels that have come out years after the previous ones haven't been good is one of the reasons I was expecting to not like this. That being said, I actually liked this more than I expected to. My girlfriend and daughter did scream a few times watching this so there were some scary elements but the thing that surprised me was that the story actually carried the movie. It was interesting and kept you guessing and interested the entire time. Not many horror movies can do that and the ones that to really stand out. Overall, a rare sequel that is really good, worth watching and one that I can surprisingly recommend for fans of the series. I give this a B+.

Gold (2016/I)
McConaughey really transformed for this role and he was good but the pacing really hurt this movie quite a bit, 1 May 2017

"The last card you turn over is the only one that matters." Kenny Wells (McConaughey) is a prospector struggling to survive. After being turned down from everyone he decides to risk it all on a dig in Indonesia. He enlists help from Michael Acosta (Ramírez) and together the two find one of the biggest gold mines in history. The two soon realize that finding the gold was the easy part, what happened next was the real struggle. This is a movie where expectations played a huge part in how I felt about it. I went in, without watching a preview, thinking it was going to be like an Indiana Jones action movie, and it was not. The movie did have some interesting aspects and the end was great, but the movie really, really, really drug throughout to the point of me losing interest a few times. McConaughey really transformed for this role and he was good but the pacing really hurt this movie quite a bit. Overall, a decent movie with a good story but just a little too slow to get fully involved in. I give this a B-.

It won't win any awards or become a De Niro classic but this is one I could watch a few times and not be bored, 1 May 2017

"My dad used to love your TV show. We've watched every episode." Jackie Burke (De Niro) is an aging stand-up comic who is trying to regain his glory days. When he gets into a fight with an audience member he is sentenced to jail and community service. While doing his work he meets Harmony (Mann). The two begin a relationship that has surprising results for everyone. This is a movie that I wanted to see mainly for the cast, and was not disappointed. The movie itself is very good but not amazing, but the acting in it is just great. Seeing De Niro and Keitel together again is great and Devito and De Niro have great chemistry together. This is a movie that is just plain fun to watch. It won't win any awards or become a De Niro classic but this is one I could watch a few times and not be bored. Overall, one of De Niro's best movies in a while and one that I do recommend. I give this a high B.

Not as good as the previous one but still one that I enjoyed and one I recommend if you are a fan of this series., 1 May 2017

"There is no beginning. There is no ending. There is only becoming." Selene (Beckinsale), after losing her child, is bent on finally ending the Vampire/Lycan war once and for all. When she is double crossed it is up to her and David (James) to lead the fight and bring peace to the world once and for all. This is a series that is a little like the Rocky series in a way. By that I mean the first two movies were really focused on telling a story and character development. The later sequels were action focused and going for straight entertainment and fun rather than story based. This is not necessarily a bad thing and there is enough story to keep the movie going but this is another sequel that puts the action front and center. The movie is entertaining and a very worthy, and possibly final, addition to the series. Overall, this is not as good as the previous one but still one that I enjoyed and one I recommend if you are a fan of this series. I give this a solid B.

Nothing mind blowing or amazing but this is worth a watch and I liked it more than I expected to, 1 May 2017

"She needs help. I gotta do something." Casey (Nélisse) has just moved into town and finds a friend in Jonas (Wiggins). The two begin to spend an awful lot of time together against the wishes of Wayne (Paxton), Casey's abusive dad. When Jonas tries to help Casey a series of events occur that alter the lives of all three involved. This is a movie where, going in, I thought it had the possibility of being very slow and drawn out. I can't say I was completely wrong but it did move a little quicker than I expected and did have a story that kept me engaged the entire time. There were a few surprise aspects in this, but for the most part it was pretty predictable. The real reason to watch though is for Paxton. He plays a character so unlikable and it really adds to the tension of the movie as you are almost willing the kids to get away from him. Overall, nothing mind blowing or amazing but this is worth a watch and I liked it more than I expected to. I give this a low B.

Full of action that tries to have an important and meaningful story but ends up being a little cheesy, 1 May 2017

"I'm sorry I called you down here. I'm sorry any of this happened. I was just trying to protect my daughter." Jake Carter (Mizanin) is adjusting to life outside the Marines and is working as an EMT. When him and his partner go to check out a call they find something much more than just a man in health trouble. This is a movie that gives you what you want, and doesn't try to be more than it is. This is a very good 15 minute story idea that is drug out into a full length movie. The moral and character issues the movie deals with are kind of glossed over, but that isn't that surprising in a movie like this. The movie is full of action that tries to have an important and meaningful story but ends up being a little cheesy and makes you wonder why they are helping this person. All that being said, no one watches those movies for the story and plot so if you are looking for an exciting action movie this is one for you. Overall, exactly what you are expecting. Nothing more, nothing less. I give this a B-.

Page 1 of 166:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]