KillerCadugen

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

The Mist (2007)
A great movie spoiled by a rotten ending, 26 November 2007

Until the last five minutes of this movie, I was prepared to walk out and say that was one of the best movies ever born out of a Stephen King story/book. The Mist is one of my favorite stories because it does what horror is supposed to do - make the unknown scary. The story and the movie do this well, giving us only a glimpse of the true horrors out in the mist and never giving anyone a sense of what kind of world was out there.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER The story and the movie move along together, with the small group of survivors setting out in a car, but the story ends with the giant thing crossing their path on the road and the characters realizing that, oh no, this is it - it is a whole new world and nothing is going to be the same again.

To me, that was the magic of the story. That OH NO moment right at the end.

But the movie completely changes it and makes the whole thing much more bleak ... and even depressing. I mean, I get the point of the ending, but one of the best things about a King story or novel is that the horrors don't always get resolved. We are left to wonder what might be. To resolve the matter in the movie, and in the very depressing way Darabont did, upset me.

I will say this, if I had never read the story I would give this movie a solid 7, at least (I still would think the ending is just too bleak). But seeing one of my favorite stories butchered with that ending was depressing.

A Decent Enough Diversion, 23 January 2007

With a few hours to kill, I stopped in to see this movie fully expecting it to be another typical Hollywood horror remake - in other words, garbage. I did have a problem with the setup, the way the Hitcher was introduced and the implausibility of the couple to then be willing to give him a ride, and if the movie let on why the Hitcher was going on this maniacal murder spree, I missed it. On top of that, the tractor-trailer killing - how it could have been pulled off - was illogical. No, it is certainly not a great movie and not even a very good movie, but I would watch it again at some point ... which is good enough for me.

Saw III (2006)
More gruesome, but less satisfying, 10 November 2006

Is Jigsaw going to be another one of those maniacs - aka, Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers - who simply cannot be killed? I don't know, but he makes another appearance in Saw III, which - to me - is far more gruesome than the first two but oddly less satisfying. It starts with the opening of the movie and a couple of people caught in Jigsaw traps, sequences which seemed to serve little purpose for the movie except to make the audience squeamish right away. There were also quite a few flashbacks which ended up being a little confusing in relation to the timeline. And the ending was decidedly un-Hollywood, but so gut-churning and made me so uncomfortable (and I'm not talking about the gore, but the ultimate way the events unfolded) I'm not sure I can watch this movie again. All in all, though, it was a solid horror/suspense movie - albeit the lesser of the three Saw movies (No. 2 was probably the best one, though the ending for No. 1 was pretty darn cool). And the door was clearly left open for at least another installment, which won't be such a bad thing ...

A Nicely Lurid, Gothic Chiller, 23 October 2006

The memories of the nightmare this movie gave me 36 years ago when I first saw it were still fresh last week when I had a chance to revisit it on Turner Classic Movies (TCM). Although not as frightening as I remember it (I was eight the first time, however) it is a nicely lurid, Gothic chiller based on the popular soap opera series about the vampire, Barnabas Collins, and his clan. In this movie, Barnabas is resurrected by a handyman intent on some measure of revenge against the Collins clan; Barnabas passes himself off as a long-lost relative and soon finds himself falling in love and teaming up with a doctor intent on "curing" his vampirism. The movie is quite bloody and I can see what was so frightening about it (for 1970), but it definitely has held up well and is still a worthy addition to anyone's horror collection.

Interesting Take, Boring Execution, 23 August 2006

I have to admit I was intrigued by this new look at the Frankenstein ideal, but despite the number of times Adam (Christian Oliver) died and was resurrected and Vick (Dean Stapleton) battled with the complexities of his formula and its side effects, the story never seemed to go anywhere. How about a insight into death and what may lie on the other side? How about some moral or ethical message? I will say this, the acting was quite good and I liked all the performances even though Stapleton bore an uncanny resemblance to Jack Nicholson (probably intended) but this was one of those movies I was waiting to end so I could put something else in.

Finally - a strong adaptation of Stephen King, 13 July 2006

I am a huge fan of Stephen King, but I await with much trepidation any movie based on a Stephen King novel after the horrific jobs done on The Shining, Maximum Overdrive, The Lawnmower man for God's sake, and The Tommyknockers just to name four. I know there have been solid movies, like Needful Things, Misery and The Green Mile but the misses far out-weigh the hits. In the first installment of the Nightsmares & Dreamscapes television series, "Battleground" was a great hour-long movie based on the short story that appears in "Graveyard Shift." In it, a hit man kills a toy maker and is later besieged in his high-rise apartment by a box of toy army men ... which are much more than toys and come equipped with rifles, helicopters and one little surprise at the end. Seemingly influenced by (or at least similar to) an old Twilight Zone episode, this movie puts a reverse spin on the giant monster movies of the 1950s ... telling the story from the monster's point a view. In that regard, a nice little twist in this show was that not a single line a dialog is spoken. "Crouch End" was also a solid chiller, with a Lovecraft feel to it and a twist at the end that I didn't quite understand and didn't quite like.

Laughable, but thoroughly enjoyable, 6 July 2006

One of the joys of picking up the recent Bela Lugosi collection is getting to see delightful movies like The Invisible Ray. Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi team up in a movie that delves into meteorites and radiation and while the science is all perfectly absurd (especially the camera technique Karloff, as Janos Rukh, uses to determine the site of a certain meteorite) and downright laughable, I didn't care in the lease because the movie is thoroughly enjoyable. The effects are done well for the time, the acting is great, and the finish is particularly strong. It reminds me of the pulp sci-fi comics and novels of the 1940s and '50s, complete with ray guns and ridiculous science. You must watch this movie!

Not the best of the lot, but good, 30 June 2006

Deer Woman takes a Native American legend (an actual legend, as it turns out) and gives it some tongue-in-cheek treatment. In the movie, a Native American spirit - part woman, part deer - comes out of the wilderness and begins seducing locals - first a trucker, then a business traveler, a pawnshop owner, and a cop. After seducing the men, the Deer Woman basically tramples them to death. Pretty gory, too. Now, the premise is right on the verge of being too ridiculous for a movie and the humor is a little flat, but the movie itself is a pretty enjoyable piece of horror. Not the best of the Masters of Horror series (so far, my vote for that goes to Don Coscarelli's Incident On and Off A Mountain Road and John Carpenter's Cigarette Burns), but pretty good nevertheless.

Amateurish, but not bad, 12 June 2006

I never hold out much hope for these low budget horror flicks that kind of get hidden on the shelves at Blockbuster, but Cemetery Gates was a pleasant surprise. Activists release a mutated beast from a laboratory, only to have that beast - nicknamed "Precious" - escape from them and start killing people all over the place. The monster runs into a group of young people filming their own zombie movie at a local cemetery, which is the real "meat" of Cemetery Gates, so to speak. From top to bottom, the acting is strictly amateurish and close to that line between passable and barely watchable and though the movie is billed as being humorous, I think that's the by-product of a clumsy script. The story itself is not half bad, except the early situations where people are placed in harm's way for the purposes of being messily devoured seem to come utterly out of the blue. I think if less time was spent on designing the gory sequences and more on the script, this movie could have been even better.

It Waits (2005)
Decent Horror Fare, 8 June 2006

This movie is the reason why I scour the video store shelves for low budget horror flicks. Most of the time, of course, I am sadly disappointed but other times - like this - I am pleasantly surprised. Considering Richard Christian Matheson wrote the story I was fairly confident, although it is a rather pedestrian story about an ancient Indian demon, inadvertently released from a cave, wreaking havoc on a mountainside. A female park ranger, wrestling with her own demons, has to find the ability to battle this monster and save herself. The horror elements were standard and fairly well done and the script, while spotty, was okay. "It Waits" is decent horror fare, better than some of the dreck that is getting released in movie theaters.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]