raisleygordon

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

I enjoyed the 1st & 2nd, but this is a lazy effort, 12 July 2016

I thought the first movie was unsettling, and a great thriller. The second still delivered the goods, although it wasn't quite unsettling. But this one is a lackluster effort. Except for the climax in the church, there's nothing to recommend "The Purge: Election Year" With that girl attempting to shoplift, you can sense the movie is headed for an opportunity to be something, but alas, it is not to be. I have a feeling part 4 (and I read somewhere there will be) will be even less interesting than this one. There either needs to be an improvement, or just retire this franchise altogether. Any more mediocre efforts like this, and it might have to be retired anyway.

There is not a single believable moment here, 8 April 2016

I just didn't find Cadillac Man to be funny at all. Does Williams deliver as a car salesman? Not really, because basically the script just requires him to be goofy. And if this were actually intended as a plain comedy, then I might buy it. There's nobody really at stake, at least not in the first half of the movie. And the second half isn't much better. Unless you're curious to see Tim Robbins playing a killer or Robin Williams as a car salesman, then I suggest you look elsewhere. Remake Dog Day Afternoon if you will, but Cadillac Man never delivers on its promise.

Punchline (1988)
The film may be about a punchline, but it doesn't have its own, 25 March 2016

"Punchline" is interesting, but not interesting enough. This movie is awfully one-sided. And it also doesn't have any ambiguity. The only character in this movie that does any real disagreeing is the John Goodman character. And yet, I expected him to yell, but he doesn't. Make him grouchy, and you might have a character, no matter how relevant to the plot, that works. And don't even get me started on the casting of Sally Field as a comedian. Seriously? Sally Field as a stand-up comedian? What were the filmmakers thinking? Why not cast someone Tom Hanks's age? Some of the audience in the movie may be laughing, but I didn't find myself laughing too much. And you probably won't either.

Is there a point?, 20 March 2016

Vanilla Sky is simply put, a boring movie, especially towards the end. The interrogation scenes, with Kurt Russell, are better, but not by much. And most of the time, the film apparently shows the flashbacks in random order, considering we see a disfigured face, then a normal face, and back again. Show them in order, for crying out loud. And why does the entire face need to be covered, when in fact, it only looks bad on one side? The movie, as it is, is confusing enough. I enjoyed Jason Lee's scenes, but they're not enough to recommend the entire movie. Not even close. After David falls to the ground, the film should have just ended. There is no need for a pointless movie like this to be so god damn long. When I saw Julie in Sofia's body (Julia actually killed herself), I knew the movie was going on longer than it needed to. And why does it take forever to end? When it did, I was starting to lose patience. And what does the term "Vanilla Sky" mean, anyway?

One of the most boring mysteries you'll ever experience..., 16 March 2016

Besides the fact that there's a place for messed-up people, I don't know (or particularly care, for that matter) what the point of this film is. And don't even get me started on the characters. OK, I'll get myself started. While Detective Skinner does provide the film with some spark, he is otherwise pointless. In fact, this movie is like the characters in it: boring, not worth caring about, and annoying. Giving us a detective just as kooky as the people he is investigating doesn't help. I understand the people in the hotel are screwed up, but is that any reason for the film to be so boring? I think not. Even Gibson himself said, "I thought it was as boring as a dog's ass." I couldn't agree more. I read this in a Rolling Stone movie review just before writing this review. When the news crew arrives to put Tom-Tom on TV, the movie slightly improves, but it is still very strange. Tom-Tom does eventually kill himself, but he should have done so sooner, because out of all the characters, he is the most annoying. Not to mention his narration. And what's with his haircut? This movie may be one of the reasons Jeremy Davies no longer acts. Or at least I haven't.

*1/2 out of ****

Holy Man (1998)
Sappy, sentimental, overlong, and mostly uninteresting, 3 March 2016

Watching this picture makes you appreciate "The Nutty Professor" (and even the sequel) even more. While those weren't masterpieces, at least his characters and voices were reasonably funny. Until G. comes along, the film is in fine form. When G. shows up, that's when you'll start questioning things. And when G. comes to live with Goldblum, that's when the film goes downhill. And it only goes downhill from there. There are about three worthy moments, like when he tortures poor Morgan Fairchild with that shock button (or whatever), a trick he does at a party, and a woman, on live TV, who confesses for lying about being related to G. Other than those three moments, this is a sorry excuse for a motion picture. And don't even get me started on his annoying voice, which gets really old as the film goes on. And, while not quite two hours, did the movie need to be so damn long? I think not. Or, if at the very least, the film were a reasonable running time, its flaws might be forgivable. But with a comedy this long, how can they be?

*1/2 out of ****

One session you'll want to skip, 26 February 2016

If only the preceding moments were just as interesting...

When Jake is held at gunpoint in a bathtub, that's when Training Day comes alive. Now why couldn't everything that came before be as good? For a while, this movie sounds better on paper than acted out, and that's unfortunate, despite a great premise, that, for a while, goes absolutely nowhere. Hawke is completely miscast, and Washington just can't save it. Now, I enjoyed it a little more when it's just these two, but when they're around others, that's when the movie goes flat. And a two-hour running time? Are these filmmakers serious? I can't help thinking the boring stuff would have been more forgivable had they been, at the very least, even slightly shorter. Want to see a good movie? See "The Man" instead. While it's a comedy, and this one is action. it is at least much, much better than this misfire (mostly, anyway).

What's the Point?, 25 February 2016

Unless you're curious to see Russell Crowe's feature debut, and/or are really, really into violence, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to view "Romper Stomper". Russell Crowe (and the fact the film is about gang violence) is essentially one of the reasons I wanted to see the movie. Sadly, I didn't much value the film. Yes, it was made in Australia (and was made on a low budget), but so what? That's no excuse for a poorly made one. I enjoyed parts of it, but the film as a whole almost tested my patience. The gang members (including Gabe, the only female) are completely one- dimensional. In fact, if you think about it more, they seem to exhibit no dimensions, whatsoever. Oh yeah, the girl has a couple seizures throughout the film. Why? Don't ask. It's never a good sign when a movie feels like an eternity and you find yourself wondering now much time is up. Too much stomping here, and not nearly enough romping. Or is it the other way around?

More like an Okay Marriage., 8 February 2016

Yesterday, I watched the Keanu Reeves film "Knock, Knock", and while I liked its second act a lot more, the same can't be said of "A Good Marriage". Is this supposed to be some psychological drama? Intentional or not, I'd say it is psychological, because this film only explains (albeit briefly) the guy is a serial killer, and never shows him actually committing such horrific acts. The only time Bob gets violent is in Darcy's imagination. And Darcy does manage to throw him down the stairs. Sorry, but unfortunately that's all the violence we're treated to. If this film had resembled anything like an actual movie about a Serial Killer, then the fact that it doesn't feel like Stephen King might not matter so much.

Vacation (2015/I)
Enjoyable remake, but it's no classic, 12 August 2015

This new vacation delivers the goods, but it's far from hysterically funny. On its own terms, it's pleasant enough, but I think I still prefer the classic movie. It's also good to hear "Holiday Road" again. While Ed Helms is enjoyable as the leading man, but he's no Chevy Chase. A lot of funny moments abound, but most of them are just cheap laughs, and don't measure up to the ones from 30 years ago. There is one scene that I did laugh out loud at: When the rafting guide starts crying like a baby. The four state corners scene, with one cop from each state, was very unique, even if it wasn't a laugh-out- loud moment. As for the Wally World scenes, I was expecting something better than what I got (although that fight sequence is very creative). I guess not every remake, or reboot, or sequel, (whatever this movie is) needs to be a classic.

Page 1 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]