evansweet1214

"The Innkeepers", 1 January 2012

With a pair of genuinely likable characters, and a creeping look at an old hotel going out of business, Ti West crafts another slow-burn horror masterpiece. Sara Paxton plays Claire, a bored and analytical young lady with a daffy personality and a weekend to be spent working the last shift at the Yankee Pedlar Inn. She is accompanied by the oddball and mysterious Luke, played by Pat Healy. Their chemistry is delightful, and very realistic, and the acting is absolutely terrific as well(especially on Paxton's part). They talk not of life, or any bigger situation than the one they're in, but of ghosts and the besieging spirits who walk the halls. Ti West beautifully writes a dialogue, and shows no life or activity outside of the hotel, which builds a sense of entrapment for the young duo, and the audience. Like Mr. West's prior film, "The House of the Devil", he ingeniously let's atmosphere take control, keeping you on the edge of your seat until the explosive final act. What makes the film so affective is the fact that Ti West doesn't dwindle the audience, he throws in no jump scares or loud, shrieking music. He lets what you see creep into your mind and settle until you're lying in bed later that night and forced to recapitulate the unnerving images you had viewed. This is the best horror film I saw during 2011, and perhaps one of my favorites of the year in general. It had me falling in love with horror films all over again, and most likely will do the same for you. It's streaming on Amazon right now for $10 dollars, and VOD as well. Do yourself a favor and see this fun, yet absolutely chilling horror film by the new master of horror, Ti West.

Drive (2011/I)
A Tense and Often Beautiful Masterpiece., 19 June 2011

You might hear one comparing this to a Tarantino film, but leave all worries at the door, this is an absorbing and tremendously unique piece of cinema from Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn. The reason it works so exquisitely well is because the film grabs hold of you and takes you inside this often dark and dream-like LA setting. So, when the end of the film hits, you feel apart of this film, and it's there to stay.

This film also offers a Ryan Gosling like you've never seen him, speaking only when necessary, with tension and fury in his eyes. He's silent, caring, and ridiculously tough. Every line is delivered perfectly and every gesture is natural.

I saw this at the LA Film Festival on a mammoth screen with booming speakers. The music only makes this film more unique. It is catchy and synchronized perfectly with the TRULY beautiful cinematography.

This film is the BEST of its genre. I honestly cannot compare it to any other film, for it is truly that different. "Drive" is already the best of the year, because I'm POSITIVE no other film will haunt and invade me quite like this film has. This is not just a classic for its genre, but a beautiful and bold classic in general.