terrellrobinson71

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Brace yourself for True Tarantino, 26 December 2012

Quentin Tarantino's 8th film "Django Unchained" is one hell of a movie. A brutal, bloody, terrifying, hilarious and awe-inspiring western disguised as a buddy movie that is so great that if John Wayne and Sergio Leone were alive now, they would've approve of this movie. It's designed to shock you, polarize you, test you and maybe even surprise you. But let me clear on this: If you are not a fan of bloody violence and the running length of 165 minutes, see a shorter movie. But if you love to see what Tarantino can do with movies like this, then you're in for a treat. Set during slavery in 1858, the movie follows Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave who is found by a bounty hunter disguised as a dentist named Dr. King Schultz (The always reliable Christoph Waltz) who hires him as a bounty hunter and a free man to find the Brittle Brothers. After finding them and hunting them down at a plantation run by Big Daddy (a remarkable Don Johnson), they relax for the winter only for them to go on a mission to find and rescue Django's wife, Broomhilda (Kerry Washington) who is owned by Calvin J. Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio) a man who runs a plantation known as Candieland. He even has a renegade slave as a servant named Stephen (A nearly recognizable Samuel L. Jackson, hidden in makeup and some prosthetics), who will have a part to play in the last half of the movie. I think Quentin Tarantino has outdone himself once again. Being in the filmmaking game for 20 years now, you can't deny and even reject his style in what he is bringing to the screen (He also has a cameo in here as well). His dialogue is like reading a book that grabs you and makes you want to know what happens next. The look and scope of the film is magnificent, thanks to a brilliant Oscar-winning cinematographer Robert Richardson and the late production designer J. Michael Riva. The performances in this film are brilliant. Having won an Oscar for "Ray", Jamie Foxx continues with his breathtaking performances that wows us. Here as Django, he is certainly fearless, baring his soul (and body) playing a man who is free from slavery, but can't be free by the rules and limitations of slavery. Christoph Waltz looks like he was born to be a part of Tarantino's entourage after his Oscar-winning performance for "Inglorious Basterds". Here, once again he brings humor and vulnerability to Dr. King Schultz. Never before have I ever seen an actor go that far and doesn't go over-the-top like Leonardo DiCaprio. As Calvin Candie, DiCaprio is certainly Oscar-worthy as a man who runs a tight ship by running a place where male slaves fight to the death and female slaves are being prostitutes and he seems to be the kind of guy to like even though he is a villain and he speaks Tarantino's dialogue like a pro. When he has a scene in which he reveals three dimples from a skull that belongs to his father, he is literally terrifying. Kerry Washington is superb as Broomhilda and Samuel L. Jackson is the real scene-stealer. The supporting cast is great from Walton Goggins, Jonah Hill, Michael Bacall, Michael Parks, James Remar, Robert Carradine to a small cameo by Franco Nero. "Django Unchained" has a lot of things to say about slavery and how cruel it is. But at the same time, it provides the fact that if Tarantino rearranged history by shooting Adolf Hitler to a pulp while everything blows up at a movie theater, he can do it again by having a former slave whipping a man who used to beat him and his wife. Now, that's entertainment. This movie really is off the chain. It's not only one of the most captivating films of the year, it's one of the best films of the year. Go see it, it will be worth your time. Keep in mind though, there are characters, especially Django, Stephen, Candie and Schultz that uses the N-word numerous times in this movie. That seems relevant to the time period, don't ya think?

Make way for a teenage zombie that is sure to be the best surprise to kick off the new year., 31 January 2013

Here's something you don't see every day: A romantic comedy involving zombies. Thus, "Warm Bodies", a fresh, fast-paced, sensational and truly original delight that is sure to knock your socks off from beginning to end. Start with the premise: After an plague has caused people to turn into zombies, the real humans including General Grigio (John Malkovich) separate themselves from the brain-eating zombies by building up a wall in order to keep them away. Along the way, we get to meet one of those zombies. Meet R (the charming British heartthrob Nicholas Hoult). He doesn't quite like this life, knowing that he has to eat brains in order to survive and to live off the memories of the humans he's killed. He's looking for someone to connect to, which is really explained through his facial expressions and inner monologues. Then it's love at first bite, when he's finally connecting to Julie (Australian beauty Teresa Palmer), daughter of General Grigio. When he sees her after she shoots most of his friends, he decides to protect her and to "keep her safe". Yes, this zombie is in love. Protecting her in his abandoned airplane filled with vinyl records, a record player, and other resourceful things, R finally gets to realize that something was missing in him all along, leaving his heart beating to realize that he loves her. That's when R, his friend M (a wonderful Rob Corddry) and the other zombies are starting to change. That's all good, until the CG skeletal creatures known as Bonies will do anything to prevent that from happening, which leads off into the film's fantastical climax. "Warm Bodies", directed by Jonathan Levine (of the delightful comedy-drama "50/50" and the incredibly wicked "The Wackness"), who also adapted the film from Isaac Marion's bestselling book for young adults, combines a mixture of 5 different genres (comedy, horror, romance, drama, even a little bit of sci-fi) that makes the film more smarter and even more better than "The Twilight Saga". (Take that, Jacob Black.) What also makes it work is the inspired casting of Nicholas Hoult from "About a Boy", "X-men: First Class" and the upcoming "Jack the Giant Slayer". As R, he literally dives deep into the emotions as well as having terrific comic timing through his expressions and his inner monologues by using a spot-on American accent. He also develops great chemistry with Teresa Palmer, known as the butt-kicking alien Six in "I Am Number Four", who, as Julie, has a tough and fearless personality as well as a emotional side to her. The supporting cast is also incredible, including Analeigh Tipton, who is hilarious as Julie's friend, Nora, Dave Franco (James's little brother from last year's "21 Jump Street") who gets a brief amount of screen time, but really sticks it out as Julie's ex-boyfriend, Perry, who (in order not to spoil this) gets called for a dinner date that includes brains on the menu and the great John Malkovich excels as a man who believes that the zombies are nothing more than just flesh-eating corpses looking forward to get shot in the head, but doesn't believe that his only daughter is in love with one. I know what you're thinking, this is just another zombie movie. But "Warm Bodies" is certainly different than that. It revives the zombie genre by bringing something original to the screen. For those who love the TV series "The Walking Dead" and the other zombie comedies "Zombieland" and "Shaun of the Dead", not to mention George A. Romero "...of the Dead" series, you actually will get a taste of what the zombie world is like through the eyes of one. And maybe like R's, your heart will warm up too. This is the best surprise so far this year. Note: "Warm Bodies" is pretty tame, but pushing the envelope for a PG-13 film involving zombies who eats brains and Bonies who consumes hearts. Those are hardly seen, but there are people who shoot zombies in the head with guns. That works in order to keep it very organic.

A rather unexpectedly sweet rock & roll gem., 20 August 2012

Thank heavens for "Tonight You're Mine" (or its original title in the U.K.: "You Instead"), a movie that manages to exceed my expectations for a story like this. Undeniably sweet, magical and occasionally funny at times, this rock and roll gem will surprise you from start to finish. It's also the kind of movie you can watch on a rainy day and you can still have a good time. Luke Treadaway from the "Clash of the Titans" remake and "Attack the Block" stars as Adam, one-half of the American rock band "The Make". His day is not starting to go well. He's supposed to perform at the "T in the Park" music festival in Scotland. While that happens, he happens to be handcuffed, thanks to a scheming minister, with Morello (Natalia Tena, Nymphadora Tonks from the "Harry Potter" film series), the band leader for the British female rock group "The Dirty Pinks", (who also have to perform at the festival) after some bitter arguments. All of this takes place at that festival and throughout the movie, Adam and Morello has to find a way to break out of those cuffs, play their gigs, and---possibly---make a magical connection that might find themselves in love. I know you think that this is another one of those groan-inducing rom-coms, but trust me, this is much different than that. Clocking in a rather fast time of 80 minutes, "Tonight You're Mine" has a heart that pulsates with energy and a soul that rollicks with a staggering sweetness. It's hard to believe that Treadaway (with a very solid American accent) and Tena are very talented (Singing and playing guitar/keyboard) on- and off-screen. But they are and they accomplished that in spades. Their chemistry together is incredible. The music in the film is amazing. It's like listening to a mix tape that you made before, but never listened to it until now and it happens to be a very eclectic mix tape filled with many different sounds. (One of the standouts of that mix tape is Adam and Morello performing "Tainted Love" on stage.) I give director David Mackenzie (of the sexually charged "Young Adam", the Ashton Kutcher disaster "Spread", and the mind-boggling "Perfect Sense") credit for taking us inside the actual "T in the Park" festival. It must have been very difficult to shoot in the festival for 4-5 days, bringing a lot of pressure on the actors. But it feels very authentic, real and organic. What also works is that Mackenzie and screenwriter Thomas Leveritt gives the characters a lot of humanity, including Adam's model girlfriend (Ruta Gedmintas), Morello's on-again, off-again boyfriend (Alastair Mackenzie, the director's brother), Adam's other half Tyko (Mathew Baynton) and the sleazy manager (Gavin Mitchell), who nearly hits on women when he's drunk. Yes, there are no surprises. But there's nothing to be surprised about anyway, except for a couple of them. That's why "Tonight You're Mine" is really magical in many ways possible. You won't be disappointed. Give this film a go.

The Legend of Katniss Everdeen, 29 January 2016

Before I went to see "Mockingjay: Part 2", I took my little time re-watching the first three installments of "The Hunger Games". I remember being very excited to the first "Hunger Games" after reading all three books. My main thing when it came to movies based on books is that it had to be done right. It definitely seemed like the odds be ever in our favor because it became a big hit for Lionsgate and producer Nina Jacobson. Year after year after year, I never wanted to miss a single "Hunger Games" film when it came out at the movies. Now my mission is complete and the powerful story of Katniss Everdeen comes to an end in "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2". Now, beware for what I am about to tell you because this is a grim, emotionally gripping and thrilling finale that already had me hooked. It's quite better than "Mockingjay: Part 1", to which some fans were disappointed by it (not me, okay, maybe a little), and even though it doesn't reach the epic quality of the first two films, it's safe to say that this is the best finale of a series that's more human and thought-provoking than any YA series out there. Part 2 of "Mockingjay" begins immediately after the events of Part 1. After a brutal attack caused by her love, Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) due to the "hijacking" by the always subtly vicious President Snow (Donald Sutherland), Katniss (the always phenomenal Oscar-Winner Jennifer Lawrence) has reached her breaking point. She vows to take down Snow and the tyrannical Capital. Teamed up with Commander Boggs (Mahershala Ali), Gale (Liam Hemsworth) and Finnick (Sam Claflin), Katniss seems ready to go, but it's not an easy way to get there. The entire city is booby-trapped with pods. Some are terrifying (like the unforgettable Lizard Mutts), some are disturbing (like floor mines) and some are definitely tricky (like thick black oil and machine guns). As the movie progresses, Peeta joins in, still messed up, and Katniss and the Squad 451 team has discovered that they are in a real-life war, where, as always, there are shocking casualties and no easy way out this time. I guess, we can say that they are played for pawns again and it turns into "the 76th Hunger Games", as Finnick reminds us. Throughout this fast-paced movie, it's less humorous and more darker and intense than the previous films. But it's more mature, more stronger and it's quite unflinching when its socio-political issues are shown to us in some moments. Katniss remains the Mockingjay, which is quite similar to Jennifer Lawrence who has become the real Mockingjay. They both have been plucked from obscurity and reached for something big by being what people really want from them and they do succeed at what they do the best. Both director Francis Lawrence and star Jennifer Lawrence (no relation), unsurprisingly, are the keys to making this remarkable series work. (Gary Ross did a fantastic job directing the first one). But I've been saying too much about them in my reviews of the films, let me give some support to the rest of the team. Props has to go to casting director Debra Zane for finding this excellent all-star team. From Woody Harrelson as Haymitch to Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket to the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Plutarch Heavensbee to Julianne Moore as President Alma Coin to Jena Malone as Johanna Mason to Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman to Natalie Dormer as Cressida and to, of course, Willow Shields as Katniss' sister, Prim. Everyone (well, not everyone) has their moments here and we get to say goodbye to these beloved characters and worlds that Suzanne Collins created. In the last installment, the stakes are higher than they have been before and Katniss will be tested in different ways that will lead her to make a choice or two that will change the dystopian world of Panem. Plus, it avoids the conventional happy ending and leave us with sparks of hope, even though "there are much worse games to play". What an amazing series. What a terrific finale. To quote Effie Trinket, "Breathe it all in, Katniss. This is all for you."

Here's something to expect: A movie that balances the ups and downs of pregnancy in a funny and unexpectedly moving way., 15 September 2012

It's ironic that I am not a dad (or a soon-to-be one) and the funniest thing is that there are moments in which my mom went through the whole pregnancy issue, but I happen to enjoy a movie called "What to Expect When You're Expecting", based on the self-help book of the same name for soon-to-be mothers by Heidi Murkoff. Here's the good news: For men and women who are mothers and fathers or about to become those parents, you can relate to these certain issues: Miscarriages, infertility, contractions, hormones, adoption....the whole nine yards (or months) of surviving pregnancy. So, how to start reorganizing the plot? I know, how about I'll connect the story by the dots. Dot 1: Holly (The lovely Jennifer Lopez), a photographer and her husband Alex (Rodrigo Santoro) are about to adopt a baby from Ethiopia. Dot 2: Rosie (Anna Kendrick) and Marco (Chase Crawford, one of those heartthrobs from "Gossip Girl") are rival food-truck owners who had a one-night stand that results in a big oops. She does get pregnant until... (I'm not telling.) Dot 3: Wendy (the always lovable Elizabeth Banks) and her husband Gary (Ben Falcone from "Bridesmaids") are about to finally have a baby after two years of trying, only to find themselves competing with Gary's father Ramsey (Dennis Quaid), a race-car driver and his trophy wife, the gorgeous Southern Belle Skyler (Brooklyn Decker, yes, that Brooklyn Decker) who's eating for three. (You get the expression, right?) And finally for dot 4, Jules (Cameron Diaz), a trainer for a "Biggest Loser"-type TV show and Evan (the charming Matthew Morrison from my favorite show "Glee"), a dancer for a "Dancing with the Stars"-type show are expecting one, as well. Only to find their careers in chaos due to the baby issue. Oh, I forgot dot 5: The Dudes Group, run by Vic (Chris Rock) and his buddies (with kids) hang out every Saturday and helping poor Alex (from that first dot) on how to be a man and to become a dad. It's a heavy order to make a movie about the ups and downs of pregnancy, but director Kirk Jones and screenwriters Shauna Cross and Heather Hach walks a fine balance of what makes us laugh, what can we expect to happen and how to relate to those issues. The results for that makes it a very, very funny and unexpectedly moving film. When the pregnancy for the four of the five couples comes kicking in, it's realistic, moving, heartbreaking and utterly remarkable. The all-star cast, also including Australian comedienne Rebel Wilson (also from "Bridesmaids" and the upcoming "Pitch Perfect") as Wendy's assistant, Janice and Joe Manganiello from "True Blood" as the Dudes' Group's other (and hunky) Lone Wolf, Davis, are amazing. The stories that sometimes interconnect with one another are surprisingly good. And by the end, there's always that one movie that's made for adults and how the audience can relate to moments like that, which could happen in real life. I guess this is a movie that's, at least, worth expecting.

A rather peculiar family fantasy about the bonds of friendship, childhood and the art of making an awesome action flick!, 9 May 2011

Despite the brief images of violence, a couple of children smoking, and some children using profanity, "Son of Rambow", written and directed by music-video-director-turned-movie- director Garth Jennings, of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is a funny, sweet and rather peculiar family fantasy for the filmmaker in you. Set in 1980's England when the first Rambo flick, "First Blood" became big in theaters, the movie follows bully Lee Carter (Will Poulter) and artistic Plymouth Brethren Will Proudfoot (Bill Milner). These two are not good friends to begin with, but Lee uses Will to be a part of his new movie he's making inspired by "First Blood" (Actually, it's Will's idea, after seeing the movie) for his participation on the vintage BBC show "Screen Test". Turns out, everyone wants to be a part of the movie, including French New- Wave kid, Didier (Jules Sitruk) and even Lee's brother, Lawrence (Gossip Girl's Ed Westwick). While the film is in progress and their friendship is being tested, they realize that the near-fatal consequences wouldn't keep them apart from their friendship. This is a rather amazing film that really got me interested with a talented young and old cast. Poulter and Milner creates a realistic and fun chemistry as the two friends. Other supporting players including Jessica Stevenson as Will's mother, Asa Butterfield from "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" as a Plymouth Brethren child and scenes involving Sylvester Stallone in "First Blood". I hope this film will entertain the entire family and I bless Jennings for inspiring himself to make a film about the kid in all of us. This is an enjoyable film.

Fame (2009)
Remember its name....if you have to., 13 April 2010

When bad reviews and moderate box-office results came through for the re-invention of "Fame", I decided why not go for it after all. After that, this looks like a movie I can tell one of my friends about. And now that I still have the movie on DVD for over 4 1/2 weeks, I can still tell someone I know about it. "Fame" doesn't live forever but I was impressed by the flaws, clichés, and sometimes sentimentality of this film. In other words, it's funny, fast-paced,and just terrific. Set in modern-day at the Performing Arts High School in New York, this movie deals with over 10 students who goes through four years (plus auditions) of love, heartbreak, joy, and raising your voices. Some might have a problem with the quickness of the four years combined together and some of the actors looks too old to play teenagers. But I didn't, so I basically stuck with it and it even surprised me for 107 minutes. The "teenagers"/newcomers in "Fame" are surprising and fantastic. For example, Naturi Naughton (who played Lil' Kim in "Notorious") steal some of the scenes of the film whether it's from singing the original tunes from the original film, "Fame" and "Out Here on my Own" or from going by her parents' wishes as a classical pianist and becomes a singing sensation. Kay Panabaker and Anna Maria Perez de Tagle (from Disney Channel) are superb, especially when they sing. Collins Pennie is phenomenal as Malik and he, like Naughton, steals some scenes. Much as the same goes to Asher Book, who as Marco, develops some joyfulness and emotional content through the film. Even the adult actors like Debbie Allen (from the movie and T.V. show of the same name), Kelsey Grammar and Megan Mullally has their moments as well. This IS a movie directly for the teenagers if the kids can't handle this movie. It has its moments and sometimes the sentimentality will put a smile on your face. I enjoyed it, so why don't you go for it. Go, remember its name....if you have to.

Safe (2012/I)
Jason Statham reminds us why he's one of the best action stars that ever was., 23 July 2012

I was impressed with Boaz Yakin's "Safe". It's a darkly funny thriller with bone-breaking action, quirky humor and a reminder that Jason Statham is one of the best action stars that ever was. I am a fan of Statham, having seen him 10 years ago in the movie that made him a big star: "The Transporter". In "Safe", we get to see a different side of him that isn't all muscles and abs. ("The Bank Job" was another different side of Statham, as well). He plays Luke Wright, a New York ex-cop/cage fighter who lost everything after winning in a cage fight that sent a fighter to the hospital, especially the loss of his wife and unborn child. (Hence, that tear crawling from his right eye on his cheek.) On the verge of suicide, he's getting a wake-up call when Russian mobsters are after a little girl named Mei (Catherine Chan) in a train station. When he steps in the train and attacking and shooting the mobsters with his MMA moves, Luke sees life in a whole new perspective. Why are the mobsters after this adorable 10-year-old Chinese girl? She can memorize any code that can lead to a certain object filled with.... (I'm not telling. You see this movie and find out.) Anyway, the Chinese mobsters including its boss Han Jiao (James Hong), the Russian mobsters, the mayor of New York (Chris Sarandon) and his adviser Alex (Anson Mount) and the crooked cops including some of Luke's old buddies from the force are after her. But Luke will be ready for war, protecting Mei without a doubt. "Safe" benefits from Statham, who gives one of his best performances since "The Bank Job", its fast-paced action scenes, a warm heart and some funny zingers. (For example, a cop says "You broke that guy's trachea." Luke says, "I didn't know a trachea could break".) For those who like the look of the film, give props to costume designer Ann Roth, production designer Joseph C. Nemec III and cinematographer Stefan Czapsky, who did the cinematography to Danny Devito's "Matilda", for making it cool, slick and fast. Let's face it, it's not "The Transporter", but "Safe" is a terrific surprise in every way possible. You know what's going to happen, but you have no idea how it's going to turn out, especially an ending that had me going "What the heck?". I never knew why this movie never became a hit. But I hope that people will get a chance to see it. This movie was a lot of fun. Think of it as 1/2 "Leon: The Professional", 2/3 "Mercury Rising" and a little dash of "The Transporter".

Prepare yourself for a extraordinary movie experience, 21 October 2012

Has there ever been a moment in life when you look back at your high school life and reminisce on old memories whether they were good, bad, or embarrassing? I know I have. I guess that's how I felt this way about trying to survive high school and to find our hopes and dreams about who we'll be when we grow up, much like Charlie in "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". I recently read the book and I can definitely relate to most of the situations that Charlie went through as well as anyone who has read it and seeing that the film has come to life thanks to Stephen Chbosky (the author of the book, as well the screenwriter and director), he discovers the human heart, the first chances you have in life and a chance to break away from all the pain, whether if you're an outcast or a popular kid. Set in Pittsburgh in the early 90's, both the movie and the book does follow Charlie (Logan Lerman), a 15-year-old kid starting high school for the first time. He is terrified about it after the loss of his two favorite people years ago and before high school started. Feeling lonely, depressed and ostracized by his peers in high school, he makes friends with Patrick (We Need to Talk About Kevin's Ezra Miller), the gay wild child and his stepsister Sam (Emma Watson, in her first major role outside the Harry Potter series) who welcomes Charlie into "The Island of Misfit Toys" and tells him that it's okay to be himself. As the movie goes on as well as the book, Charlie happens to write to his unnamed friend about his first experiences while hanging with his new friends, having a crush on a certain someone, getting some help from his English teacher, Bill (Paul Rudd) and gaining some perspective from his family, including his sister Candace (Nina Dobrev). But he has a dark secret that could possibly haunt him forever. It's amazing to me that "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is one of those rare movies that gets the tone, feel and look right. Chbosky does a great job of streamlining his 213-page book into a 103-minute movie, editing out certain moments but remains faithful to the story. And if you're a true fan of the book, some of the moments from Charlie's point of view, including the tunnel and Rocky Horror scenes are beautifully re-created on screen. And if you love the music in the book, one of the songs from the book ("Asleep" by The Smiths) is actually in the movie, so, find a chance to listen closely when you see it. The performances in the movie are amazing. They felt very real to me. If you look at this movie and tell us that the performances are not real to you, you need to have your head examined. These would be people I would've loved to hang out with in high school. Lerman is remarkable as Charlie, experiencing a lot of joy and emotions in many ways, including a heartbreaking scene that's reminiscent of Timothy Hutton in "Ordinary People". Miller steals every scene he's in and he brings humor and heart to a kid who likes being who he is, but has a few wounds that needs to be healed. And for Emma Watson? Oh, yeah, she captures Sam beautifully in a way that people will understand that she is no longer Hermione Granger. She also carries a very good American accent and it's an incredible performance. This is one of the best films I've seen so far this year. It's a high-spirited drama that's funny as hell, enchanting, heartwrenching and breathtaking. Not to mention that it carries a lot of reality of what high school life is like and how you can just live in the moment when you get a chance. It captures all of that brilliantly. See it to believe it and spread the word, this is a movie that you won't forget. Prepare yourself for unwavering emotions, hilarious humor and a chance of finding hope with "The Perks of Being a Wallflower", a true American teenage classic.

Dance to that funky music, people! The "Step Up" series has gotten more cooler!, 13 December 2012

I can't even began to tell you that the Dance Movie Genre lives again and breathes too. Movies like "Dirty Dancing", "Save the Last Dance" and not to mention the original and remake of "Footloose" shows audiences of any age how amazing the dance scenes are and how talented the actors are. But no dance movie has never been more cooler than the "Step Up" movies. When the first one came out in 2006, it launched the career of Channing Tatum before he became a big box-office star and married his co-star, Jenna Dewan. That was six years ago. Now we have "Step Up Revolution", the 3rd sequel (4th installment) of the popular dance franchise. While the first two films took place in Baltimore and the third one took place in New York, this one takes place in Miami. What makes this movie an wonderful feat, like the other "Step Up" films, is by watching these actors/dancers handling their double duties and doing it really well. Newcomer Ryan Guzman stars as Sean. This kid runs a tight ship: being the co-leader of a group known as "The Mob", living with his sister and her daughter and works as a waiter at a swanky, five-star hotel. "The Mob" is a dance group that, obviously, stages flash mobs through most of Miami. They try to enter into a Youtube contest in order to win $10,000 if their video gets to 10,000,000 hits. Kathryn McCormick, another newcomer from "So You Think You Can Dance", is Emily. She wants to get into Wynwood, one of the most professional dance companies in the world. When she crosses eyes with Sean at an outdoor club, it's love at first sight with some sexy dance moves and a bottle of beer. After witnessing one of his team's performances at a museum, she wants in...only if Sean helps her with her chance to get into Wynwood. That goes well, until...a business developer (Peter Gallagher, always chewing the scenery), who wants to demolish Sean's neighborhood and build a new development. Only Sean knows that, but his friends don't, she's the daughter of the business developer. So what to do when the situation is at hand: they stage protest art instead of performance art, leading up to a climax at a shipping yard. I know where this is going, so does everyone, but music video director Scott Speer, making his directorial debut, knows what he's doing with the characters and the awe-inspiring dance sequences, which were shot in mind-blowing 3D by the cinematographer known as Crash and choreographed by Jamal Sims and four additional choreographers including Travis Wall and Christopher Scott. Who cares about the plot? You want to see the dance scenes, right? Well, this movie has that and you will have a good time. Me, I just like watching the actors and the dance sequences. They're impressive one sequence after the other. Both Guzman and McCormick have good chemistry together and develops irresistible charm throughout the film. While "Step Up Revolution" is the coolest, if not the best of the series, (Step Up 3D was the best one), it also shows that the Dance genre still shines after all these years. It's visually remarkable, charming, and even filled with surprises. Plus the music rocks with some remixes and other music from Jennifer Lopez, Travis Barker, Eva Simons, Skylar Grey and Timbaland. But wait until you see a couple familiar faces from the previous "Step Up" films, and I'm sorry to say this, given the fact that I'm a fan of the series, but Channing Tatum is nowhere to be found in this movie. Go for it, anyway and enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]