fackjoley3

Possibly a perfect film., 11 May 2010

Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite films. I've seen this movie at least a dozen times, but I'm yet to get tired of it. This masterpiece is fast paced, action pact and extremely quotable. Many people consider Pulp Fiction to be Quentin Tarantino's magnum opus. The editing is interesting in that the film is told out of order and the audience has to see it more than once before they can start piecing it together. The directing is fantastic, as per usual with Tarantino. Further following an early Tarantino trend, he casts himself in a small role and as usual, it a terrible actor. Don't let Tarantino's poor acting deter you, the rest of the cast is amazing. Pulp Fiction is thought to be the film that brought back John Travolta's career, but there is much more than that. Nearly the entire cast are legendary actors. Furthering the Tarantino tradition, "Pulp Fiction" has an amazing soundtrack. There is nothing bad that I can say about this film. It is honestly the closest thing to film perfection that I can think of.

Still wonderful 40 years later., 11 May 2010

This is the quintessential coming of age drama. It is a rarity for a film to hold its own for so long, but "The Graduate" does it. I find it hard to come up with anything negative to say about this film. The only real negative that I can come up with is that you'll probably never want to listen to Simon & Garfunkel again. It is rare for an actors first role to do so much for their career, but Dustin Hoffman's portrayal of Ben cemented his role in cinema history. Anne Bancroft is the delightfully manipulating Mrs. Robinson and Kathrine Ross is her daughter and Bens love interest, Elaine. The direction and camera work are good. The camera work aids in giving the audience a dose of what Ben is going through as a recent college graduate. "The Graduate" really stands the test of time, as it remains high on many movie goers lists of top films. This is a film for anyone that considers cinema to be a high art, as this film is a shining example.

Easy Rider (1969)
Good, but it may have lost its meaning after all these years, 11 May 2010

This is the ultimate buddy/road trip movie. This film represents what Hunter S. Thompson would have called "the search for the American dream." The plot follows two counter-culture men trying to find themselves with a trip to Mardi Gras as a backdrop. Along the way, they encounter various other elements of society, from the small town conservatives to hippies in a commune, which aids in showing the clash of culture during the era.

Being a low budget film, it goes without saying that they used actors who were mostly unknown at the time. They also employed various locals to play roles in the film. Peter Fonda leads the duo as Captain America. Dennis Hopper does what he does best, plays a weirdo. A young Jack Nicholson makes an appearance as an out of place alcoholic lawyer.

The cinematography during the characters acid trip is wonderful. Awkward camera angles, shifting focuses and the use of distortion make it feel like you're there with them.

The sound track alone is worth checking out. It really captures the music of the day and brings the film together.

Overall, "Easy Rider" is definitely worth seeing.

Wow...just wow, 10 May 2010

This film is older than my parents, yet it still left me speechless. I can only think of a few other films as timeless as "Sunset Blvd." I absolutely adore everything about this film. It is a landmark film in terms of its subject matter. Bill Wilder is one of the first directors to take on the problems that can come with living in the spotlight. For it's time, the film is an original idea. I can't think of any other film from that time that explores the idea of being a "has been" in terms of Hollywood society. The acting is superb all around, with special recognition deserved by the two leads. Gloria Swanson a fantastic job playing, well herself...but crazy. William Holden does a wonderful job keeping Norma's fantasy world intact as Joe Gillis.

Romeo and Juliette of sorts, 12 March 2010

I've always been a fan of silent films, and after watching this it may be one of my new favorites. It's a Romeo and Juliette story of sorts and it's definitely worth checking out for any silent movie fan.

One common complaint about silent films is that the performances aren't as believable as the talkies. I disagree, and this movie is proof. Lillian Gishs performance as Lucy Burrows is phenomenal. The famous "closet scene" performance proves that you don't need sound to feel what a character is going through. Richard Barthelmess's performance as Cheng is good, if you can get passed the fact that he's clearly not Chinese.

D.W Griffith is a great director and "Broken Blossoms" does nothing but prove his talent.

"Broken Flowers" is an amazing film for it's time. And even with all of the advances in film made today, it's still worth watching.

A Classic for Obvious Reasons., 11 March 2010

Frankestein could be defined as "a classic horror film that still important today." It's an impressive film for it's time and it still manages to impress after all these years.

The make-up and costume design of the Frankenstein monster are amazing for their time, Karloff is almost unrecognizable. The acting in the film is not bad, but Colin Clive as Henry Frankenstein made his "It's alive" line, one to the most recognizable quotes in cinema history.

I've seen this movie at least a dozen times since I was young, but it still holds a place in my heart. It's truly an example of what horror could be. I wish that I could see the first audiences reaction to the Frankenstein monster, it must have been sheer terror.

An interesting take of noir., 11 March 2010

"Mildred Pierce" is an amazing movie. For the most part the plot is decent, but the acting is what really did it for me.

Joan Crawford was unbelievable (in the good way) as Mildred, a successful working mother who is overly devoted to meeting the demands of her her child and may or may not have been involved with a murder. Having learned the craft from Lon Chaney while on the set of "The Unknown," by this point Crawford had perfected the art. Ann Blyth, in one of her earliest roles, played the sociopathic Veda perfectly. Blyth was really able to capture the evil within Veda.

The way the movie plays out is typical of many noir movies, the events are shown in a flashback. The only problem that I can see with this movie is that some people may not like the ending. It is a bit predictable from about the halfway point in the film, but aside from that it is definitely worth seeing.

Stagecoach (1939)
Good, for a Western., 11 March 2010

For a western(generally I'm not a fan), "Stagecoach" was a decent movie. At times it got a bit confusing because there were so many main characters. It took me until almost the end of the film to get all of the characters names straight. It's easy to see how it started John Wayne's career in major films. His performance as Ringo was, well, what you'd expect from John Wayne. The rest of the cast was fairly interesting as well, John Carradines performance as Hatfield was perfect. The plot itself was good, and it had a couple interesting twists, but it was somewhat generic. I liked the role reversal that occurs within some of the characters, i.e the criminal becoming the hero. The conclusion of the film is fantastic, with justice finally being delivered. Overall, I'd recommend this film to anyone who is interested in seeing a good western, or someone who is unfamiliar with Westerns. This film represents a crowning example of what exactly defines a western.

Notorious (1946)
Good, but not Hitchcocks best, 10 March 2010

Overall, it was a good movie, but there was one flaw that I did not care for. The end happened extremely fast. Unlike Hitchcock's other films, the tension was not built. The hero saved the girl, and the "bad guy"(Claude Rains) got what he had coming. There was not much lead up to the ending and it played out very predictably. The camera work had some elements that I really enjoyed. I found it interesting how the camera would periodically show things from Alicia's (Ingrid Bergman) various altered perspectives. Both Grant and Bergman were great. Begrman does a wonderful job as Alicia even though it's not her usual character type. The sexual tension between Grant and Bergman is done very well. "Notorious" is a good movie, it's worth watching if are a Hitchcock fan, but it lacks the tension that his other films have.

Very funny movie, 17 February 2010

Adapted from Kesselring's play "Arsenic and Old Lace" could be considered the original black comedy. I had heard nothing but good things going into the film, so my standards were high. But it met and exceeded my expectations. It takes a fairly normal man and tosses him in with his comically insane family. Cary Grant plays the main character Mortimer, and as always he is phenomenal. Not an extremely elaborate film, I can see how it was adapted from a play. But, it works for the film. Although it deals with insanity and tackles a morbid subject, "Arsenic and Old Lace" is immensely funny. I absolutely loved the film, and I would not mind watching it again. It is a necessity for any comedy fan.