dfwforeignbuff

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

why the low ratings? good show, 24 September 2014

There is a lot of press about the low ratings this series has gotten and much info about ABC canceling the show after the first 2 episodes,. (now they are running the last episodes on Sunday afternoons) I don't understand why the low ratings. It is an excellent production based on the true Aldrich Ames spy story. I found every episode informative intriguing and factual. Its a great spy story. I am long time reader of spy and mystery books and found the series to be quite good. I will now find and read the book. highly recommended. be sure and watch the last episode (9) about the true facts and photos of the story. I streamed all 9 episodes on netflix.

Mindwalk (1990)
Wish this DVD was widely available My Dinner Andre Ullman, 26 May 2014

Wish this DVD was widely available My Dinner Andre Ullman

if you are fan of foreign non English language film and art films you can be prepared to understand and like this film same goes that it might help that you are educated? wordy? articulate? if you saw the fabulous film by Louis Malle My dinner with Andre you can decipher what kind of film this is.

the depth and breath of the info covered in this film is astounding. also of most interest is the way they approach each other with their "Arguments-Points of view" cinematography and scenery is breath taking. Mont. St. Michael, France. I was (am not) familiar with Director Bernt Capra except I finally found a nice biography of him on tcm turner classic movies website.

this film is highly recommended 5 stars watch it a couple of times and think (respond?) I really cant believe this film is not more widely circulated it has long had a cult following and really deserves a much wider audience. Maybe he should make another movie or two?

Von trier give us another like this one. Excellent Film Noir, 4 May 2014

Forbrydelsens element 1984 the Element of Crime Von trier give us another like this one. Excellent 1984 Film noir I love this film and have seen it several times because it is so intrinsically different from any movie I had ever seen. I wish I had seen it on the big screen. It did show at the Inwood Theater in Dallas 1984 while I was living there,. I agree with some reviewers that the film does have some problems and faults but they do not bother me (the film is all style and tone but the plot is almost incomprehensible. the film is stylistically dazzling and mind boggling). I watched the film the 1st time and immediately watched it again because I could not believe what I saw the first screening. I don't recall every seeing such a dreamy dreamy dark surreal setting for a movie. really its just a hard boiled detective film in an extremely different package. Also called Forbrydelsens element 1984 it won a the Technical Grand Prize at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival. be sure and read the film walrus review of this film " film walrus---let me mention the most frequently cited complaints about The Element of Crime: its cold, emotionless surface, devoid of humanity and wickedly inaccessible.: I love this film it is one of my favorites. Anybody who has watched it with me has been speechless. I am surprised that is has not been on a film revival and reprinted new 35 mm print (or digital) and shown at festivals or mid night movies. for a debut film this film is astonishing.

A sad drepressingly horrific violent film which I LOVED, 23 March 2014

ebert "this film defies a coherent defense" Irreversible 2002 Several reviewers declared it one of the most disturbing and controversial films of 2002. The film employs non-linear narrative. .Gaspar Noe tells us the story about love and revenge-a pregnant young woman(outstanding Monica Bellucci)is violently raped and tortured in the underground passage.Her boyfriend(Vincent Cassel) desperately tries to find her rapist to kill him.The infamous Monica Bellucci's anal rape scene is truly brutal and sickening,but at least the film can't be accused of trivializing or glamorizing rape or trying to make violent rape erotic,something many mainstream are guilty of. Interesting movie. Powerful Move. This movie is an assault on your senses. There is a lot of violence and there are are very graphic shocking scenes in this move. The first 15-20 minutes of the film with the spinning camera was a bore. I did not care for the story told backwards. I enjoyed a lot a similar told movie Memento, it was very inventive. This film did not do much for me first time around.. Too much violence and homophobia. This film contains nudity, raw language, extreme violence and a graphic depiction of rape, and male frontal nudity. I applaud the director and producers braveness, it is a powerful movie but I did not particularly care for it. This film strikes a particularly homophobic pose. I agree with another critic "this film defies a coherent defense" Watch this film at your own risk. I have since seen this movie a couple times and have changed my opinion from not recommended to recommended. if you can get past the dizzy handle held camera work and you have a open mind about film you might should watch. everyone else stay away after 3 viewings I think I now understand the film makers point of view and its very f**ke*d u** this film is a shocker and really set some new boundaries about what can be in a film and how a film should be constructed. When people were streaming from the theaters 20 minutes into the film I think Noe knew he had succeed for what he wanted to do. I have watched very film he has made. 4 stars.

a startling film I am surprised no remake has been made, 7 March 2014

a startling film I am surprised no remake has been made! How it came that a friend and my self came to be in a city where a theater actually shows this film on the big screen I do not know. (there were not that many bookings) Anyway we walked in no idea except my friend was Spanish and it was an art film theater and we usually went to see a lot of art and foreign films. Needless to say we were blown away and saw it a couple times. I saw the film recently DEC 2013 on net flix streaming in my TV room and it just did not translate well to a 65 inch screen. I wish this film would be re released. In the passing of 25 years the films scenes seem to be a little long but there are many many surprises in this film. I wish Net flix published its figures. I wonder how many people streamed it. I hope it got a wider audience. Really this is not a film for everyone and not a film for the feint of heart. Read Eberts review. Now its available on Blu Ray also. This is Axel Jodorowsky most accessible. his other films are TOO surrealist. really you need to watch this film 2 or 3 times to absorb the whole thing and the millions of bizarre details of the bizarre profound film!

One Fall (2011)
one fall is a FANTASY!!, 7 March 2014

I saw this film in my TV room on net flix march 2014 I liked it/. Parts of the film were weak but over all I think the idea was good and well presented. Its a fantasy accept it as that!! magic realism is "an aesthetic style or genre of fiction in which magical elements blend with the real world. The story explains these magical elements as real occurrences, presented in a straightforward manner that places the "real" and the "fantastic" in the same stream of thought. Although it is most commonly used as a literary genre, magic realism also applies to film and the visual arts." I think writer/director Marcus Dean fuller did a great job considering he wrote and directed!! At age eighteen, while climbing with friends, Marcus fell over one hundred feet breaking and his back in several places. After weeks in the hospital he received the news that he would not regain use of his legs. Two weeks later he walked out of the hospital. This experience became the inspiration for his first feature film, One Fall.Mr. Fuller serves on the Yale School of Drama Board of Advisors, the Yale University Alumni Board, The Nantucket Theater Institute Board of Directors and the Hyde Museum Board of Trustees. He holds degrees in English Literature, Philosophy and Psychology and is a graduate of the Yale School of Drama.

I love almodovar I love almodovar I love almodovar, 22 October 2013

I watched this film a couple times the last 2 days 10/21 10/22 2013. I saw it first time on big screen in my dedicated TV/stereo room a couple years ago. For those not in the know almodovar is Gay and many of his movies concern gay subject matter. For the Right Wing conservative crowd Evangelists Fundamentalists and non liberated I do not recommend this movie. It is a very dark tale about child abuse homosexuality drag queens movie making and transsexuals. For the ordinary family and or parents of children I don't recommend either. This is a pretty shocking film. But I still love it and Love all almodovar films because they are so very unique. (and many of his films cover subject matter never before considered for film and most are quite shocking) I would write a longer review not but keep this one short. The movie is typical almodovar. Some claimed cinematography was average or poor. I disagree. Like almost all almodovar films this one plays fine and scenes cinematography is fine. the plot is very complicated. film about a book about and the film is in the making and the film is actually presented within the film. Don't get to wrapped up in the plot or what it means. Watch it a couple of times (no distractions) and all will be revealed. really the film is quite clever and outright funny in places (for being such a dark subject matter movie ) 4 stars.

this movie is engaging and beautiful and mysterious, 1 May 2012

this movie is engaging and beautiful and mysterious I don't want to spoil the plot. Two people meet and decide to tour some historical sites and have lunch and chat. Their talk involves books art history. They are both somewhat art historians. They seem to know each other. Have they actually met before? they play some jokes and games and have some wine and discourse. They seem to know each better than the film purports. Is that a fact? (that they had met before?) The film is very sly in the way their dialogue skips around months years decades sometimes. Really the basis of their relationship is never revealed. however the encounters filmed here are little small slices of life and talk and dialogue that seems so very very real.. beautiful scenery sets restaurants historical sites and some great dialogue. however is all this real?? I watched this movie a couple of times in my TV and Sound room. I am still confused with the meaning of the movie however it is truly an original film that I will never forget. However the reality of the film is unsure and mysterious; I will soon see his film the Olive Tree. I was somewhat reminded of the Louis Malle film My Dinner with Andre. However My Dinner with Andre is a straightforward film. Certified Copy is an enigma. I think of it as a hall of mirrors is that a reflection you are seeing (hearing) or something real. Time and relations are distorted every so minutely in this film. This is one of the first really high quality intellectual art filmed I have seen in several years. Hats off to Iranian writer and director Abbas Kiarostami and stars Juliette Binoche and the British opera singer William Shimell (in this his first film role)

The Chaser (2008)
class act serial killer film from Korea highly recommended, 20 May 2011

Chugyeogja Excellent movie I cannot remember how I found out about it . Joong-ho is a dirty detective turned pimp in financial trouble as several of his girls have recently disappeared without clearing their debts. While trying to track them down, he finds a clue that the vanished girls were all called up by a same client whom one of his girls is meeting with right now. The plot stems around an amoral ex-cop turned pimp who after losing some of his "working girls" decides to track down & find the client behind this. He ends up finding himself involved in more than he bargained for, with the client being a serial killer, & its then a chase to find his last girl sent to him whilst the police also try to pin him down but are hampered by legal red tape & politics. Excellent thriller IFC made excellent choice with this one except I cant believe it did not make really big hit when it played here in USA. Must not have been that big of a release. A little gory but overall really believable. Film is based on a real serial killer episode in Korea. I guess the actual killing were even more gruesome than presented here. Old Boy & Memories of Murder were my all time fave Korean films but no longer this one is TOPS. The film is really Korean thru & thru & does not have much of a linear structure. The way it is filmed & cut & the way the story is presented doesn't conform to the way many Americans think genre clues should be presented but that is what makes this a really truly great film! It is in many ways a shocking film & even film goers in Korea were shocked. Parts of the film were problematic for me by allowing silly coincidences & the having characters making dumb decisions (creating or ignoring certain facts & logic of mind) however here I just suspend my belief & let the complete enjoyment of the film come thru. Highly recommended don't miss it. There are a lot of negative reviews about this film & I obviously don't agree. Read Roger Eberts review of this film.

good sophomore effort left me waiting for it to be over, 4 November 2010

long review in making. saw this tonite nov 4 2010. Its a little too much chick oriented to me and became boring and kind of vague. its a good movie and a great sophomore effort by the director but some of the scenes just dragged on. If she dislike him so much why did she marry him?? why did he put up with the constant haranguing??? why did he not do more with his work? the married couple is unbelievable and unpleasant. this film has phenomenal 90 percent on rotten tomatoes and 6.6 on IMDb. the 66 out of 100 is my personal feeling. the ending had a real lack of resolution and for much of the movie nothing was happening.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]