ImASmurf

Legion (2010)
Yeah...it really is that bad., 12 May 2010

I'm the type of person who enjoys movies involving hell, god and demons and whatnot, even though I'm not a believer at all. But whereas movies like Constantine and TV shows like Supernatural succeed at portraying all the evil vs good in a very entertaining manner, Legion just fails.

The movie doesn't start off too bad with a lot of action. Then they try to build up the drama and develop the characters, but you just don't care enough to follow. Acting is average, dialogs are average, the story is...well average. Everything is just average.

Also, since when can demons be killed with normal bullets? What's the point of being a demon if you can get killed so easily -_-'? And I hate movies that randomly pick some baby to be the Savior of man kind. What makes that baby so special? Nothing at all, maybe that would have been the one and single only character development they should have focused on.

Then there's the pace of the movie. You get 20 minutes of action, 50 minutes of boredom and 20 minutes of nonsense.

The only good thing in Legion were the effects which aren't too bad. Other than that, there's really no reason to like this movie.

Anyway, avoid Legion, don't buy it on DVD, don't rent it and for gods sake, do not pay a cinema ticket to see it.

How to destroy a great movie with the worst ending ever, 17 February 2010

I'm not going to make a long review because what I feel about this movie has been said over and over.

The premise is classic: some random guy gets to see his daughter and wife murdered in front of him and seeks to make his own justice after having to witness the real justice basically letting the bad guys run free.

From there on, the movie got me hooked in the approach Butler's character takes to get his "revenge" (even though he says it's not about revenge). It's pretty smart and will have you question yourself all the time with stuff like "what is his end game?" or "what is going to happen next?". The other great thing is that it's hard to decide who the bad guy really is: do I feel for the guy who saw his family murdered and does what anyone else would by killing everyone or for the lawyer who isn't really a bad guy but is also responsible for this happening? Hard choice.

Hard choice? Yeah, it's a hard choice until about 4 minutes from the end of the movie, where it all goes to s h i t. Sorry, I don't have any other word for it. The ending feels like it was rushed, it makes no sense whatsoever (really, it doesn't) and will have you wonder who thought of it so you could punch him in the face senseless.

I'll still give the movie 7/10 because it entertained me and I didn't see the 2 hours pass. Too bad the ending was so bad, could have been a cult movie.

This movie will tear your heart and soul, 29 January 2010

I'm not going to make a long review about this movie. Actually, I won't review the movie at all but just simply tell you that it is a must watch for everyone. First of all, for those of you who are not aware of it, the movie is adapted from a book Stephen King wrote...yes, the master of horror himself! I actually read the book when it came out sometime in 1996 and remember not being particularly thrilled by its cover, but as always with King (it was also my first King novel), one page is all it took for me to be sucked in this wonderful story. This is also a movie that stays very true to the book it takes from, book that I recommend thoroughly to anyone as well.

All in all, what you need to know has been said by many other reviewers here so there is no point in me repeating that. The Green Mile will deeply touch you (guaranteed) and it is very likely that the tears will flow at the end of the movie. I know they always do for me, and it's about the 4th time I seen it...if you haven't watched it already, I suggest you stop whatever you're doing and do so right this second!

2012 (2009/I)
It's just boring..., 23 January 2010

Don't get me wrong, I knew what to expect (not that it would be boring though), but after hearing a few good things about it from friends, I must say I was disappointed.

First of all, the only thing 2012 has in common with the Mayan prophecy is...well, the year they predicted it would happen. Nothing is really explained about why they predicted it. I don't know, since 2012 is in two years it could have been interesting to know a little more.

But anyway, like somebody else said in another review on IMDb, 2012 makes the end of the world look simply boring. The movie lost my attention half-way through to a point where I just didn't care what happened anymore. And why would I, everything is so predictable it becomes pointless to watch. Here's a list of things that made me hate this movie:

-The complete un-originality. Why do end-of-the-world movies always have to feature the same kind of characters? It's always some random dude, divorced with 2 kids, who then, thanks to the end of the world, finds new love with his ex-wife and saves the world. *yawn*

-That re-united family then always survives the most impossible things. It's OK to survive like one big event, but they keep surviving everything without a scratch. Even Chuck Norris wouldn't be able to do that. *yawn*

-The useless biblical references, like, G, Noah's Arch. Whatever. *yawn*

-The CGI effects: at the very beginning when California goes down, it looks like c r a p. Sorry but the part with the limousine chase...The Day After Tomorrow looked way better (and was a better movie) :*yawn*

-The stupid happy ending. Basically the entire planet exploded and it lasts only 2 days. Then suddenly the sun shines and everything's like nothing happened (except Africa is where the US used to stand and now it's humanity's new home). I know it's not a realistic movie, but come on! I'm sorry to say this, but for once, if everybody could die in a movie, it would actually be nice for a change (sorry if I offended anyone). Anyway, *yawn*, again.

The parts I liked best where the ones with Woody Harelson. I guess I really lost interest once he died. Too bad.

I could go on and on. What do you want me to say, it's just dull, even if it's the kind of entertainment you know you must put your brain to sleep. If you've got nothing better to do, give it a shot if you can stand almost 3 hours of boredom and stuff you've already seen anyway. Else, go watch The Day After Tomorrow again, it's shorter and better.

My god, get real!, 28 October 2009

If there's one thing I can't understand, is how a movie like G.I. Joe can get a rating above 6 whereas Land of the Lost only gets 5.4...really, I don't get it. G.I. Joe was horrible: dumb plot, crappy actors, dull dialogs and really dull humor, special effects for everything (even car chases were completely faked)...Hollywood ruined yet another childhood hero for so many of us.

Unlike G.I. Joe, with Land of the Lost, you knew exactly what to expect. I mean come on, Ferrell traveling through time to some parallel universe to save the climate crisis? Did you expect something like a mix between Al Gore's "inconvenient truth" and terminator? People who rated this movie so low should stop pretending they are smart, they're just making fools of themselves. This movie is idiotic and it doesn't pretend to be smart at all. If you can enjoy it, then your IQ must be pretty high. Else...well lets say you should ask yourself some questions about your own intelligence...

Its just like those who go see a movie without looking it up on the internet before and then feel literally "insulted" because they didn't expect it to have, I don't know, sexual and crude humor...*DUH!*, if I had to take my kids to a movie, i'd look for what is appropriate before going to the movies...you can't say you didn't know, not in todays world.

Concerning the movie itself. Well, it has its flaws, obviously, but the only thing you need to do is take it for what it is: a Will Ferrell movie. I enjoyed it, really, I did, because I wasn't expecting it to tackle my intelligence. It was dumb and ridiculous, yet fun and entertaining. I must be honest, I thought it was going to suck before I watched it because of the ratings, allowing me to lower my expectations and in the end feel glad I saw it. And that comes from someone who usually never watches a movie when IMDb ratings are bellow 6...

In many ways, Land of the Lost is in the same vein as Army of Darkness (7.6/10, wow, people really didn't have sticks in their places where the sun don't shine back in 1993). Just grab yourself a pack of pop-corn, sit back and enjoy the ride, that's all there is to it.