KineticSeoul

Page 1 of 194:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]
1938 reviews in total

Park Chan-wook has really mastered his craft when it comes to shooting his films, 30 September 2016

What got me hyped to watch this movie was because it was directed by Park Chan-wook. He is basically the Quentin Tarantino of Korea, where he creates artistic movies that the mainstream audiences can enjoy. I personally thought it was lacking when it came to substance compared to his previous films. I thought that it would delve more into humanity and psychological elements. It does have those elements in this but it didn't intrigue me like it did compared to his previous work. I will say it's different from his previous work. This time around it tries to go in that old fashion film-making style. Now Park Chan-wook's signature brutality, gruesome violence but a bit of black humor is still intact. What drives this movie isn't the subconscious of the human mind and humanity. But it really does uses the cinematography to drive the story forward. The imagery is vivid, vibrant and very detailed. When it comes to Korean cinematography this film is topnotch in that department. It's one of the main factors that kept me focused throughout the whole thing. Park Chan-wook really did master his craft when it comes to shooting his films. Also this is one of the few films I have seen where the sexual innuendos actually moves the story forward. Instead of it just being used to arouse the audiences.

7.9/10

Hong Sang-soo's love affair, 30 September 2016

This film shows how it would be like to have a do over when it comes to our romantic interest. You know those times when you met someone you have that moment with and ask yourself what it would have been like if you did things differently. Because you missed out on the chance, because you couldn't be more honest with yourself or be more bold with the situation. That is what this film is, it's basically the fantasy of Hong Sang-soo in my opinion. It's like he wrote this whole script for the actress in his film played by Kim Min-hee. The plot is about a introverted and married director falling for a female artist and thus somewhat realistic but mundane conversations ensues. You know the conversations that ensues between introverts at a bar. Actually you can walk into just about any restaurant in Korea with alcohol at night and you can hear similar conversations as this one. The director Hong Sang-soo actually had an affair with the actress in this film. Like the actual plot itself, he is a married man as well. Despite the director showcasing this as an artistic indie film I just couldn't see much artistic merits with this one. It was like watching introverted people having mundane conversations with one another. I am a introvert but even I couldn't find anything interesting about the conversation between the two. Like I said watching this was like watching a fantasy movie for the director Hong Sang-soo.

By the Sea (2015)
Somewhat looking into the windows of their lives, 22 September 2016

I know real life circumstances shouldn't effect the way movies are reviewed in most cases. So the real life divorce between Brad Pitt and Mrs. Jolie shouldn't have effected and have merits over how I saw this. But it did, because it seemed like this is what the marriage was like after Brad started to go through a midlife crisis. The story here is about Brad who is a writer in this who lost passion and romance for his wife and work. And is going through a midlife crisis and thus secludes himself and just goes to bars to get drunk. While his wife Mrs. Jolie is unhappy with the relationship and feels that her husband is their but not their for her. And all the romance and intimate relationship is out the window. This is a melancholic and existential movie that deals with a marriage problem. The problem is this movie is actually lackluster and is just depressing to watch and sit through. Without it having much of an impact or anything. Besides the fact that it has Brad Pitt and Mrs. Jolie. It's a really dreary movie with a story that is taken out of the pages of this celebrity couples real relationship. Except it's Brad who cheated in real life and not Mrs. Jolie. If I didn't know of the real life circumstances for this couple, this wouldn't have effected me even to the slightest. The couple in this goes on a vacation to reconcile their relationship. Like how Mrs. Jolie tried to reconcile their real life relationship through this film. But it backfired. So I guess their real life relationship in a way is more tragic than this movie itself.

4.6/10

The weakest in the trilogy. Just there to drag it on into a trilogy., 19 September 2016

This is the 3rd installment that deals with the sociopath Bill Williamson. Who is emotionally unstable and is angry at the world for what it mostly stands for. So he has his arsenal of firearms and explosives while I do have some sort of empathy for the character but disagree with his methods. Anyways he is played by Brendan Fletcher who does a fine job of playing the emotional time bomb. This franchise delved into sending a political message in a raw and brutish way, despite if you agree with the messages or not. Except this time around it goes in a more emotional and hypocritical approach. Because it adds the sociopath's baby into the mix. To build more sympathy for the guy, which might have worked if the character didn't go around killing innocent people. If he didn't ruin the lives of other family members and even put a gun in the hands of another family's child. And even frames his own best friend to save his own butt. I did like how it has more of the colliding of ideals and what is right and what is wrong this time around. Although it leans more to the other side by making the other guy behind the computer a bit more annoying to watch. And just comes off more like a jerk. Overall, the more emotional and slower-paced direction breaks this movie more than it builds it up. The reason why the previous 2 installment stood out is was because of how straight to the core and unapologetic it is while getting straight to the point. This one seemed more like the rehash of the previous two movies and is just there to make it a trilogy. And make the story boil down to this, because fans were asking for a third one. Although this has a very low budget, the poor acting from the other cast and it being less violent and brutish despite the mayhem near the end. It tries to go with the more traditional cinematic approach like in the Hollywood movies. But just didn't have the resources to pull it off. It just seemed to work more with the cheap straight to DVD direction over this. The ending just seemed less impactful compared to the previous 2 installments. It still is a rental when bored but nothing more.

4.8/10

It's one of those WHATEVER movie by the audiences, 16 September 2016

When it comes to spy team up comedy what makes it work is the partner to partner dynamic. The witty banters, clever executions and humorous set ups. I recently saw the spy comedy "Grimsby" and despite it being a very very crude movie, it's the better comedy. This basically relies on Dwayne Johnson to carry the movie, and just about all of this movies budget went to him. But even he didn't seem to care and had that expression of "Gosh I am in my 40's why am I doing this? Well time to collect my paycheck". The humor just seemed to fall flat with the constant over exaggeration and the jerk trying uber hard to be a jerk. I still give this movie a 3.8/10 because of it's message of being the hero of your own story. The team up this time is the lovable guy that got bullied all the way through high school and now is a butch and fit agent that knows how to kick ass. The other is Kevin Hart being well Kevin Hart. Basically a accountant that looks back on his glory days when he was in high school. The Rock seemed to have tried at humor with "Pain & Gain". In This not so much at all, he just seemed like he was winging it all the way through like I said. It's a very cliché, predictable and flat spy comedy. I would not see this again, it's one of those whatever movies. They need to put some more effort into it next time even if it's just a cash in.

3.8/10

The crudest spy comedy so far, 15 September 2016

Now I am one of those audiences that enjoy comedy and I do like the spy comedy genre. You know where a unprofessional guy or girl that gets entangled in espionage. Where they do some really dumb and illogical stuff and in most cases it works to their advantage. I didn't find this movie to be hilarious or anything like that, but I did find it amusing. Because they push the crude, volatile and vulgar direction to another level. I will say that parents that watch this movie with their kids will cover their eyes very quickly. And quite a lot of them just might get offended with this one. The plot follows a fairly standard direction of having that dynamic of the idiotic cluts and the overly serious professional going on the same mission together. Except it's way way cruder and it's between two long lost brothers. The older one surprisingly played by Sacha Baron Cohen who is the likable idiot who is like the nicest guy ever that has the hots for obese women in this. While Mark Strong is the cold blooded super spy that got fighting moves. The "Hardcore Henry" intro is a nice touch and works with the movie as a whole. And despite this pushing the limits on how crude it can be, it does have some witty and clever moments. The pacing is also super fast so if you go for a bathroom break you will miss some key parts. This is most definitely a awesome rental for sure.

6.9/10

Just go play "Star Fox" instead, 15 September 2016

I remember watching the first "Independence Day" in theaters and was sucked into it. Sure it's a campy and simple movie, but it still was a really good popcorn flick. And was very entertaining to watch, especially when it first came out. I recently watched a film called "Now You See Me 2" which is a disappointing sequel. However this sequel is even worse and is even cheesier than the previous one. It's like they compacted a lot of aerial battle sequences and just didn't care much about the story and what made the previous one good. It lacked the uplifting spirit, the feeling of motivation that the audiences felt which lead me personally to cheer near the end. It didn't have the charisma and engaging character dynamics the previous one has. The humor is campy in the first one, but this time it just came off cringe worthy and just plain boring to sit through. There just wasn't any heart in this one, the humanities will power to keep fighting. It's just a boring and soulless movie. After the first hour it seems to get a bit interesting then it takes another nose dive. Near the end they tried to make this a giant monster movie but it just wasn't engaging or thrilling. The thing that makes giant monster movies work is the mystery, build up and tension or thrills. Which this movie faltered in every level. Despite the very high budget it felt like a B movie that should have went straight to DVD. Not saying all B movies are bad or anything like that but you get the point. "Battle Los Angeles" is another disappointing movie that deals with an alien invasion. But even that is better than this. Overall this is another disappointing sequel that got the hype for nothing. No wonder why Will Smith turned down this role, even if the first one was his breakout role.

3.5/10

Very standard sequel, 14 September 2016

The first one was actually sort of refreshing with a team of vigilante magician. This sequel just didn't seem all that necessary and it just didn't have something all that new from the previous one. It's like they crammed a bunch of ideas into this sequel and decided that it just might work out. What it leaves behind is a cardboard borefest, with everything going in a very predictable direction. It's even more cheesier this time around as well. With the heist after heist with only one scene actually standing out. It's the scene where the team tries to retrieve the card from a super computer. While doing card stealth tricks to fool the guards. The twist is simply not far fetched but just plain dumb...And it's a tool to have a twist and lengthen the story. With some many action and tricks going on, it was just so darn boring to sit through. It might be because I have seen way too many films. But this is a forgettable sequel that doesn't really integrate anything all that clever when it comes to the plot. It's still somewhat of a watchable movie but it's also a very forgettable sequel.

4.5/10

If your into the horror found footage genre it's watchable, 13 September 2016

I remember this movie being advertised a long long time ago and wondered why it wasn't hitting theaters. With the success of the found footage genre when it comes to profit. They probably wanted to cash in, but they put some thought into this one. Not to say this has a lot of psychological depth or anything like that. But it does have that gritty and raw feel to it that was prevalent in the 80's. This is basically a fake found footage movie that goes is a sort of trippy and psychedelic direction when it comes to how it was shot. The routine torture and murder seemed to drag on and on and would have been somewhat effective if the acting was good. But you can clearly tell the actors were well...Acting. I know that sometimes the mystery adds to the fear effect, but a bit more psychological depth would have made it more effective. I mean this is a fake found footage and documentary about a serial killer and rapist. Who is crazy and yet very methodical and knows how to frame and clean up the evidence. I will say that when it delved into one of the victims Cheryl Dempsey's story-line it did get a bit interesting with the stockholm syndrome and all. The first hour was routine and tedious, however after a hour into the movie it does get a bit intriguing but it takes too long to get to that point. Overall, if you are into the horror genre it's watchable.

5.5/10

Legend (2015/I)
Sort of reminded me of the manga "Sanctuary"., 11 September 2016

I liked the first half of this movie but the second half took a nose dive. It wasn't terrible but it got drawn out and boring to sit through. If they delved more into the gangster rivalry elements and making deals to build more power I think it would have been more of a fun watch. Because when it came to all the drama parts the film seemed to just drag on and on. This is based on a true story that revolves around the Kray twins. One being the logical one that is good with business and is charismatic and charming. Thus making him a likable gangster others like to make deals with. While his brother is a bit of the loose canon and isn't all that mentally stable. Again this film started out with some flare and carried the right balance of being fast paced without it being overly gritty and dark. It sort of reminded me of the film "Bronson" when it came to the style of it all. I personally liked this film because it sort of reminded me of the manga "Sanctuary". Overall, I enjoyed this one but it could have been better.

7.5/10