valtripp

What Were The Surprises? WARNING: SPOILERS!, 20 April 2004

For months everything was building up to this year's Oscars. The Academy promised to be full of suprises and move in a whole new direction. After watching the show for about four hours I could sum up the suprises in one word: non-existent! Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won 11 Oscars and managed to thank the whole of New Zealand 11 times! Everyone who was predicted to win, won: Tim Robbins, Renee Zellweger, Charlize Theron, Sean Penn and of course The Lord of the Rings. Rumors of a Johnny Depp triumph were all false and even Bill Murray was about to leave after hearing the winner of Best Actor in a Drama (of course for different reasons than I). This year the Oscars were disappointing and utterly predictable. I tuned in to watch Johnny Depp win his first award or to see the new changes from the Academy yet all I saw was the same old, straight-laced Academy that has just stopped trying! No matter how many "normal" people rallied for Johnny Depp or Keisha Castle-Hughs the Academy had it's own ideas about who to select and who to ignore.