runningmann101

Pleasant and Predictable, 14 August 2011

"The Holiday" doesn't throw too many curve-balls when it comes to romantic comedies. It is a very simple plot that is easy to follow and pleasantly familiar. However, the characters in the film make it truly enjoyable. Cameron Diaz plays an excellent lead (as most of the film seems focused upon her romantic journey) and doesn't fail to use her comedic talent to capture a greater sense of reality as opposed to the traditional fairytale romance. Her love interest, Jude Law, by no surprise does a fantastic job playing a lovable and compassionate character. Although the character is simplistic in demeanor, he is able to push the story along in a way that keeps the viewer interested without ever letting the relationship become stale but stay fresh. Kate Winslet too adds a tremendous complement to the story. Even though the story tends to center upon Cameron Diaz's romance, it still does not fail to include Winslet. Beyond doubt, her acting performance is much stronger than Diaz and it shows on screen with how little time she is given. The introduction of Jack Black in the plot is somewhat strange when it comes to casting. He plays a delightful character filled with a polite humor that is easy to fall for. However, his seeming infidelity posed a small gap for the viewer's connection. Overall, the movie is an excellent change of pace from romantic comedies. It manages to tell an old story with a new spin on characters that is both a reminder of possibility and that a small break from monotony can bring big and wonderful changes.

An Abomination: Such Filth, 17 July 2011

I despised the references to "The Jewish Question" in this movie. It never ceased in a preachy tone about what to do when your kids come home with their own cousin and a condom. It's a tough film to watch if you believe in Heaven, but for the most part, it brightens up your heart if you are familiar with Kiefer Sutherland's drug habits. As much as it may seem, this movie is not in 3-D and I encourage you to watch it in a large group so that the orgy discussion is more interactive. At one point, all of the characters deem it appropriate to slaughter all the horses before the camera. It was a more symbolic action than it was a political statement. Never, ever, call this movie anything less than the title it deserves: "Stop Touching the Children and Get Back to Narrating".

Absolutely Brilliant, 20 March 2011

This is a movie that makes you think about the American spirit, if not the human spirit. Very rarely does a movie come along that challenges your own perception on an industry as controversial as the tobacco industry. Bravo to the producers for making people consider the duality of capitalism. Eckhart was born to play this role with his quick wit and excellent delivery. He could lobby on behalf of heroine and I think he could still convince a Congress. If you do not see this movie, you are missing out on one of the most fantastically written movies of the decade with some of the most respectable casting I have ever seen. Take it from a seasoned moviegoer, excellence like this is rarely seen in cinema, especially for a movie as smart as this.

Inception (2010)
Experience One of the Best Written Movies of the Millennium, 19 July 2010

When it comes to a movie like Inception, it is very difficult to see reviews about it without being taken in by the hype. I urge you to not go into the theater expecting the most mind-blowing experience as I did. Although it did in fact deliver, easily, the most complex and intricate plot I have seen in a long time, it was not as exciting as I thought it would be. I applaud Nolan for developing such a wonderful script and storyline and appreciate the visual effects tremendously, however, it is important to also focus on the characters in a film, which with the exception of one character, felt rather distant through the entire movie. The acting was not the caliber that the movie deserved but it did bring several actors back to the spotlight and showed a great performance from Ellen Page. This movie is perfect for anyone that enjoyed The Godfather as it requires close attention to detail that ultimately leads to an excellent finale.

The Gang's All Here, 17 June 2010

This movie is the best movie out of the entire franchise hand's down! Every character makes a nice warm welcome back during the exposition of the film which makes it quite an enthusiastic introduction, and several new characters either gain more face time or become "brand new" before the audience. There is classic Toy Story humor for the kids and a great deal of character humor throughout for any viewer. Frankly, the newest characters had some of the funniest voices and actions that made the film so much more enjoyable. Although the Andy character was not necessarily the most sincere, there was still plenty of excellent material that gave the movie a heartwarming touch. The movie was completely worth the wait and I suggest it to anybody in the world!

Twilight (2008/I)
We Are on the Twilight of a New Phenomenon (Unfortunately), 10 June 2010

As a result of bottled up tween emotions, Twilight became one of the must-see films for fans of the book, who often brought along their lovesick friends and reluctant boyfriends to the midnight premiers. Let me be the first to say, the movie's storyline was very boring and if there have ever been male parallels to the acting styles of Meghan Fox, this movie possesses all of them. Not only did the movie have a complete lack of character depth, the performances were literally smoke and mirrors masking any talent the actors and actresses may have had. I understand that the book was already written and that the transfer to a movie may have been difficult, but taking the limitless imagination of the reader and splicing in boy toys for the adaptation seemed to be a lazy move. If there is one good thing about this movie it was that the production staff did an excellent job editing this movie to make it visually stunning. The filters on the camera captured the gloom of the subject matter but were not supplemented by the cast. I do not recommend this film.

Apatow Does It Again, 10 June 2010

What a fantastic continuance of Apatow's comedic success. Jonah Hill and Russel Brand go together like fish and chips but the stand-out performer turned out to be Sean "Diddy" Colmes. Although it was probably not a large stretch for him to play a tough music producer, his subtle comedy is what truly brought a lot of laughs to the audience. Brand paid excellent tribute to the rock and roll icons that have since lost their lifestyle edge and Jonah Hill was a fantastic foil to his character. Jason Segel's writing talent was very strong in the film as it was very exciting and funny to see the storyline unfold, no matter how simple the story seemed. This is amongst some of the best comedies I have seen in the last few years.

MacGruber (2010)
Will Arnett Has Fantastic Performance, 10 June 2010

There were a lot of reasons why I was doubtful about the success of this movie. First, I had seen many Saturday Night Live movies and were not satisfied with many of them, and had even more doubt about turning a 90 second clip into a 90 minute feature film. However, I was quite surprised about how funny this movie actually became. The situations were quite predictable but the movie was not about the plot complexity as it was about characters. Kritsen Wiig and Will Arnett were able to successfully transplant their television chemistry onto the film reel with some remarkably funny scenes. I recommend this film to anybody who enjoyed "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" for its style of humor and anyone familiar with Saturday Night Live.