amadeusrye

Very Good, But the Ending is Weak, 10 September 2004

If the movie ended about 10 minutes early, it would have been excellent. I'm sure some people would disagree with me, but I felt that the last 10 minutes were a waste and brought the movie down. Other than that it's a great movie. The Coen brothers always end on a bittersweet note, that I feel is unnecessary and manipulative. It's like they are compelled to constantly pull the rug out from underneath you.

In spite of this, this movie is extremely well made. The dialogue is hysterical ("Is this your homework Larry?"), the dream sequences are clever, and "The Dude" character is inspired. If you like this film you might like "Jackie Brown". Like Lebowski, there is a profusion of profanity. "Shut the f*** up Donnie!"

Like Watching A Strange Dream, 9 April 2004

This movie looks really cool, especially considering it is from 1982. I like how it makes you think (i.e. what makes a person human and what are memories?) too. I'm still not sure though, if the film is actually brilliant or just artistic/symbolic nonsense. Either way, it's definitely one of the most influential and better science fiction films ever made. The Matrix wouldn't exist without this film. It's probably the only Sci-Fi/Noir film ever made too.

Does anyone else find the final sequence in the building really scary? It's like a weird nightmare, yet visually hypnotic. If you like this movie you might like "Donnie Darko". It's also a cult favorite and raises many philosophical questions.

A Hidden Film Gem, 13 January 2004

How could anyone not like this movie? It's one of the few realistic coming of age stories. The characters are really likeable and the acting is great too. What is so bad about being a "cutter"? To me it seems kinda cool. "Don't forget to punch the clock shorty!"

How Not To Make a Movie, 6 January 2004

I guess Tom Green achieved his goal of making a bad movie. In a way the whole movie is like a prank from his television show: he actually managed to get a studio to make this stinker. The trailer to the movie is funnier than the movie itself. Still, I don't hate the movie as much as most people. It's gross and stupid, but I think that's the point.

***Spoilers***

Best parts: #1 son, restaurant scene, soap on a roap, sausages song, japan 4, and get inside the animal.

Worst parts: rip torn's butt, the zebra cartoon, the last 15 minutes, and the parts with the kid getting injured.

Could Have Been Much Better, 5 January 2004

The cinematography is gorgeous and the acting is good, but the story needed work. The first hour of the film is pretty good, but the rest is disappointing. I wish if the ending were changed a bit and if more questions were answered, because I really wanted to like this film.

***Spoilers*** Why did the film make Sam Shephard the bad guy at the end? I hated that. I don't think his character would have done that. His death is really stupid. Abby was in love with him so the original plan no longer had the same meaning.

What happens to Abby and Linda at the end? Did Abby get The Farmer's money? Nothing is explained!

Very Rewatchable, 20 November 2003

This is a great movie. Baryshnikov and Hines are fantastic and act pretty well considering they are dancers. I love the music in the film especially the two Chopin songs waltzes (the one Baryshnikov plays on the piano and the one at the embassy party). The best parts are 1) Baryshnikov's response to the Russian ballerina when he hands her his note and 2)when he wins Hines's rubbles.

Ed Wood (1994)
One of My Top 3 Favorite Films, 20 November 2003

What more could you want from a movie. Tim Burton is my favorite director and Johnny Depp is my favorite actor. Martin Landau is brilliant as Bela "Pull the String! Pull the String!". I watch this movie over and over finding new things each time. I can't wait till the DVD comes to America. If you like this movie I'd recommend any of Tim Burton's other films and the Peter Bogdonavich film "Paper Moon", which is also in black and white.

Pee-wee's Stupid Adventure, 14 August 2003

This movie is just plain dumb. Tim Burton is my favorite director and most of his other films are excellent. He really needed practice when he did this one, though. There are a handful of funny scenes, but eventually Pee-Wee becomes too irritating to laugh at. My advice would be to skip this one and watch "Beetlejuice", "Edward Scissorhands", "Ed Wood", or "Sleepy Hollow" instead.

Fearless (1993)
This Film Left Me Speechless, 23 May 2003

This is an incredible film! Peter Weir once again proves that he is a genius director. The cast is also brilliant. I can't believe that the film didn't get any recognition for its achievements. If you like this film watch other movies directed by Weir like, "The Truman Show", "Dead Poet's Society", "Mosquito Coast", or "Green Card".

Manhattan (1979)
Very Disappointing, 20 April 2003

I don't see what is so great about this movie. It's boring and pointless. The relationship between Woody Allen and the girl is stupid and predicted what Woody did in real life with his adopted daughter. Woody also likes to match himself up with much younger women in a lot of his films (i.e. "Mighty Aprodite"). If you want to see a good Woody Allen film watch "Manhattan Murder Mystery" or "Sleeper".