peterdfinn

Hey, do you want to be talked down to by a film that is in no position to do so and thinks you need to "just grow up"?, 8 September 2013

…Yeah, neither do I.

Leigh (Kristen Bell) is going through an identity crisis. She feels she needs to return home to her parents for a little while. While back in her hometown, she gets in a sexual/romantic relationship with a high school student, receives a disproportionate amount of blame for relatively little wrongdoing, is criticized heavily by everyone around her for not living her own life according to their standards, and grows to learn something from the situation, as if she needed to be "fixed" somehow. Ugh.

This is the kind of film that thinks it's teaching you something and has something to say about humanity, but it's actually full of s**t. The film is very critical of its protagonist for her actions, treating her as if she is a flawed character that just needs to grow up. However, I fail to see exactly what it is about her that merits such contempt. Granted, she does a few things that aren't exactly admirable (the way she just drops in on her parents, for example, was pretty inconsiderate, and she flakes out on her job), but aside from those actions, she's hardly a bad person. And yet, the film seems to think that she needs to "grow up", as if she's immature. She's not. Yes, she does drugs, she is temporarily living with her parents, and she is working a low-paying job, but SO WHAT? That's her business, and who does the writer/director think she is to judge her? The film seems to think that her relationship with a high schooler is contemptible, but it's really not. It's a mutually consensual decision made by two people who are fully aware of what they're doing and aren't harming anyone else. Granted, her friend, the principal of the school, is put in an awkward position, but that's not really Leigh's fault so much as it is the fault of society for being so squeamish about such an innocuous relationship. The film even tries to criticize Leigh for the actions of the people around her, as if she influenced them to act in the ways they did. It goes so far as to try to blame another person's suicide on her actions, which is bulls**t.

Sorry, that was really long-winded, but I feel it was very important to get all that across: the crucial problem with the film is that it thinks it's teaching you a valuable moral, but it's actually full of hot air. Seriously, the more I think about this movie, the more it p***es me off.

Now that I've finished complaining, I'll address the good qualities the film has, because they do exist. The acting is good from everyone, especially Kristen Bell. The film is mildly interesting when you watch her live her life, until you get to the beginning of the third act and realize where the film is going. I was actually very invested until the film was revealed to be such a load of holier-than-thou bulls**t. I can't give it the lowest score, because it had a couple of good qualities, but the film is really rotten at the core. The film was very promising for the first two-thirds, but the conclusion managed to destroy almost all goodwill the film had built up in my eyes.

This one's a real mind-bender., 27 December 2009

This is easily the best thriller I have seen in a long, long time.

The movie is about a psychologically unstable teenager named Donnie Darko who thinks he can see a six-foot rabbit named Frank. Not Harvey, Frank.

The plot is too difficult to describe without revealing too much, so I won't go into it any further. But it will definitely stick in your mind for a long time.

But one of the most interesting things I feel I should mention about this movie is that Donnie is the one who's supposed to be crazy, but in reality, he seems like the most normal one. Except for his family, his girlfriend, his English teacher, and his therapist, everybody surrounding Donnie is crazier than he is.

You're never going to forget this movie after you see it. Why did they have to mar its good name with a sequel?

"Solitary" (2006)
A very interesting and under-rated reality show, 16 December 2009

This show is a very good one, but it barely gets any recognition. Go figure. It's on the Fox Reality Channel (not exactly known for quality programming).

The basic premise is that nine people are put in tiny rooms in solitary confinement. They are put through endurance tests (such as extreme cold, extreme dizziness, loud noises, etc.) The contestants can press a big red button any time they wish to quit. But the first person to quit in each challenge is eliminated. The interesting thing is that they don't know if anyone else has quit yet, so it's all about them reaching their own personal limits.

Fox Reality Channel is going off the air at the end of March 2010. Season 4 of Solitary will air sometime before that in 2010. Please support it (I would, but I don't have that channel. I've watched the first three seasons on Hulu). Maybe it will get picked up by Fox!

Game Shows Don't Get Much Dumber Than This..., 6 November 2009

And I'm not saying that as one of those people who automatically hates game shows and discounts them as pointless.

What makes this game show truly idiotic is that people's chances of winning are completely random. The only thought involved in participating in this show is answering the titular question: "Deal? Or no deal?"

I'll explain. There are 26 suitcases, each with a different amount of money in it, ranging from 1 cent to 1 million dollars. The contestant picks one case at random. This becomes their case. He then chooses to look in some of the other suitcases to see which values aren't his. After opening some of the suitcases, he is offered a sum of money that may or may not be higher than the value in his suitcase. He can either accept it or reject it.

If you want to watch a game show, watch something good, like Cash Cab, Jeopardy, or Family Feud. Don't even consider watching this one.

A Great Webshow, 6 November 2009

Shane Dawson TV is a web show on YouTube that features Shane Dawson making blogs about random things and putting his own comedic spin on them. He made a video recently called "Drunk Kardashians" that parodied "Kourtney and Khloe Take Miami." Although I've never seen that show, Shane portrays it in exactly the way I would imagine — incredibly stupid!

Shane also takes shots at celebrities such as Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus.

But some of his best videos feature a recurring character named Shanaynay. If you watch some of those videos, you'll see what I mean.

As a previous commenter mentioned, his videos are kind of obscene and vulgar, so they are only for people over the age of 13 or 14. But this doesn't ruin the humor. (Not usually, anyway.)

If you can, watch his videos. You won't regret it. Support this new young talent!

"Smosh" (2006)
Hit and Miss, 25 September 2009

Smosh is a web show created by two guys named Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox. It's basically different comedy sketches. It kind of reminds me of MADtv (and I mean that in a good way).

It's hit and miss, but when it hits, it hits hard! Some of their best videos so far include: "Smosh Short 2: Stranded," all the "Food Battle" videos, "That Damn Neighbor," "That Damn Yard Sale," "That Damn Prison Break," "How Not to Act on a First Date," "Easy Step," "License Test," "Quest for the Scooter," Santa Is Real!," "Cat Soup," Left Handed," "Going to the Mountains," "A Hairy Situation," "A Very Hairy Situation," "Washington's First Video Blog," "The Ultimate Shoedown," and "If Movies Were Real."

A standout among "drama" reality shows, 4 September 2009

In my opinion, there are 3 types of reality shows: competition reality shows like The Amazing Race and I Survived a Japanese Game Show (most of the reality shows I like are in this category), shows that follow people's everyday lives such as Jon and Kate Plus Eight and The Girls Next Door (I think these are boring and pointless), and "drama" reality shows such as those VH1 shows with the word "love" somewhere in the title (I absolutely hate most of these). Wife Swap falls into the "drama" category, but it's actually watchable. The premise is that mothers from two American families who are almost completely different in a certain respect trade places for two weeks. In the first week, the wives have to follow the new family's rules, but during the second week, they impose their own rules. I like this show, but I wouldn't say I love it. I won't go out of my way to watch it, but I'll watch it if it's on.

When ABC produced this show, FOX produced an almost identical show called Trading Spouses, which I think is slightly better.

Inferior rip-off of America's Funniest Home Videos, 25 August 2009

Ugh.

The World's Funniest Moments is a show with a format similar to that of America's Funniest Home Videos, except that the videos aren't nearly as funny, and there are also various viral videos from the Internet. This show pales drastically in comparison to AFV. First of all, Tom Bergeron is a funny person. Although Arsenio Hall can also be funny, Bergeron actually looks like he's enjoying his job. Hall, on the other hand, looks as if he would rather be somewhere, anywhere, else. Also, the videos are much dumber than those on AFV (I'm willing to bet that the people who sent in videos to WFM were turned down by AFV).

No wonder MyNetworkTV is the second-lowest rated major network (the only major network with lower ratings is Ion Television).

A hybrid of horror and competition reality TV... awesome!, 22 August 2009

This is a show that was broadcast on Syfy (then called the Sci Fi Channel) for six episodes. For some reason, a lot of people really dislike it. But I am a fan of horror movies and a fan of some competition reality shows, so this was right up my alley (this is also why I liked 13: Fear Is Real). Basically, seven people come to a mansion and visit three rooms in the house. These rooms are rigged with various things that are designed to scare them (for example, snakes, floods, electric shocks, etc.). But there is also cash hidden in these rooms. The contestants try to grab as much money as they can. But they shouldn't stay too long because the last person in the room gets locked in and is out of the game. When the remaining contestants have returned, the money is counted, and the one who brought back the least is also out of the game. One of the things I like about this show is that, unlike a lot of other competition reality shows, each episode is self-contained (that is, each episode has a new set of contestants). This show isn't on anymore, but you can watch the episodes on YouTube and Hulu. You can also buy episodes from iTunes. I would definitely check this out.

UPDATE: I recently saw Zondra from Episode 1 in an infomercial. And I recognized her instantly. How much of a coincidence is that?

I, Robot (2004)
Great science fiction that occasionally degenerates into an action movie, 27 July 2009

I thought I, Robot had a very interesting plot. That is mainly why I like it so much. Being a fan of science fiction, including the original book by Isaac Asimov, I was hesitant to watch this because I had heard that the movie was not very much like the book. After I saw it, I was impressed. Yes, the plot of the movie and the plot of the book are different. But both of them are entertaining. I showed this movie to my dad (also a science fiction fan), and he thought it was excellent. The only reason I am giving this movie nine stars instead of ten is because it occasionally becomes an ordinary action movie (I don't like action movies), and because Shia LaBeouf's character seems useless in the movie. Overall, this is definitely one to check out if you like good, intelligent, thought-provoking science fiction.