Reviews written by
Erich Reinhard (erichreinhard)

Ultimate feel-good College Campus satire., 8 September 2003

A strong cast, classic pop tunes, both slapstick and subtle jokes, empowering honesty, earnestness and college humor are the foundation of National Lampoon's movies -- particularly Animal House.

John Belushi is arguably the most memorable character--clever, sneaky, lazy, insubordinate and funny. Karen Allen (Raiders of the Lost Ark) delivers a catalytic performance. I never knew what happened to her after that.

If you watch closely you will find young Kevin Bacon in his debut. This is even before his brief role in Friday the 13th, and he is worth watching.

Donald Sutherland plays a quirky professor and John Vernon the stiff, unlikable villain Dean Wormer.

When you get a chance DO see this movie. You have probably heard it is overrated (and it may be just a little), but let's face it. Animal House was a refreshing comedy for the time period, and has become a recurring classic.

Predator (1987)
Adventurous Sci-Fi Thriller masterpiece., 2 September 2003

McTiernan's Predator released in 1987 and has stood the test of time as a Sci-Fi classic. A fitting and elaborate cast (Arnold, Carl Weathers, etc.) help viewers come to grips with the environment of the movie. Silvestri's soundtrack kicks in with excellent timing as do the sound effects which remain crisp and heart-stopping. The cinematography is good and the action scenes are smooth, realistic and fun to watch.

The characters are commandos targeting renegade forces in Central America to rescue a diplomatic hostage. Watching them transcend from macho-man confidence to panicky prey-like paranoia creates a perfect atmosphere for the film, which plays off your imagination until the climax where Dutch, played by Arnold, relies on wit and instinctual strengths to combat the terror at any cost. The effects are impressive and are excitingly original, especially with the creation of such a sophisticated beast as the Predator.

Perhaps what makes the film have a such a raw, earthly quality is its relation to settings of man vs. nature in the modern world. Facing something infinitely more powerful than man is what the story comes down to; perhaps even man can conquer the unknown if he remains true to his natural powers than his ammunition.

Survival suspense of the purest kind. Predator deserves higher ratings. 10/10.

Vastly underrated., 21 August 2003

I've never heard of Jules Bass, Arthur Rankin Jr. or even Glenn Yarbrough, except of course with the 1977 masterpiece 'The Hobbit.'

Why they decided to skip ahead to the third Rings chapter I'm not sure. Perhaps it was best for their budget.

The movie has brought back great memories just as 'The Hobbit' did for us all. The animated portrayal of Mordor's ashy purple-crowned mountains or Barad-Dur's dark lofty battlements have stuck with me since I first saw this movie. The new Peter Jackson films, though excellent, can truly limit your personal enjoyment of the books--or this movie.

Why? No matter how many times you watch this version of 'Return of the King,' you'll see Elijah Wood's face on Frodo and Viggo Mortenson's on Aragorn. It works the same way when reading the books--just how fun is it when you can't imagine Frodo the way you'd like?

'The Return of the King' is widely condemned by Tolkien fans for its 'kiddie' cartoon style. This movie is far superior to the rubbish you see from Nickelodeon* or the giddy Disney flicks today. Probably the most impressive element of 'King' is what you hear. The songs are played and sung beautifully, flowing with the story without distraction. The voice acting is the best I've ever heard from a cartoon I've seen (even though I don't watch many cartoons anymore). Sound effects strike you unexpectedly and blend in with well with the action.

This film's substance takes a broad mind to enjoy, one that can appreciate the choppy animation with the flashback-style plot. 'King' is highly inspirational, true of heart AND true to the story. 8/10.

*Today's cartoons from this network aren't as they used to be. Or perhaps that's just my opinion.

Wholeheartedly remembered., 4 July 2003

Rush is one of the highlights of talk radio history. He delivers a personal conservative agenda without the hard-edged arrogance of Bill O'Reilly (although he is very good also). He is a courageous, confident and talented man not just because he is El Rushbo, but because he has battled his deafness so well and has been able to overcome it. I still have fond memories of the television show. My family has been listening to Rush Limbaugh for over 10 years. We enjoy him and hope he will continue.

The first (and best) in the series., 5 June 2003

A silly yet fresh movie--hip and entertaining. Very, very clever and funny. There's so much to say about Austin Powers it's becoming hard to describe it concisely. The sequels, though also over-the-top funny, are mediocre in comparison. One of Myers's best flicks--a "smashing" writing credit to him for his creativity.

Mega Man 2 (1988) (VG)
The greatest video game of all time., 14 May 2003

I know this is a controversial comment. But I don't really care. Now you all know how I feel about this monumental platformer, one that REALLY set the Mega Man saga in motion. Game Informer magazine rated it as the 32nd best game ever.

It's no surprise, really. Everlasting nostalgia, a stellar music score, incredible action and sound.

Long live the 8-bit dream of Mega Man. Not the mediocre Super Nintendo and PSX versions (they are all far too hard and just don't do the series any good).

A Great Film! (Spoiler alert), 2 May 2003

I know what everybody thinks. Regardless of its age or controversy, the Exorcist stands to be one of the most stellar constructed films of our time. This 1973 movie has not lost much appeal since its release. Perhaps because the content makes it such a unique work of art, people are always talking about it. Inspired by such popular themes of Good v. Evil; Religious Sacrifice; and the triumph of the holy, the creators have put together something people have never seen before, and still is very rare in modern filmdom. It is easy to believe that the plot was conceived by an ill-minded, sick, twisted wretch of a man. That may be true, but it doesn't matter. Seeing this movie, as Friedkin says, will enthrall your emotions. It provokes and motivates in a way few films can. Before 1973, Oscars were never given for a character's make-up in a movie. When this thriller hit the silver screen, it scattered expectations and sent film geeks (like myself) burying their heads in typewriters. To this day, Linda Blair's spinning head; her blasphemous obscenities spewing from her withered throat; her gross and unsettling practice of the crucifix; will influence a posterity of filmmakers. Well done, Mr. Blatty and Mr. Friedkin.

The Doors (1991)
A mournful, strikingly artistic work regarding the Door's era., 6 January 2003

The Doors, directed by Oliver Stone, is based on (and follows) the story of Jim Morrison and his unique rock posse, the Doors. The film spans the key points of Morrison's life and a few childhood flashbacks. It also displays the progression of the Doors into the 1960's counter-culture movement. Val Kilmer (Morrison) performs the role of Jim. He does a great job here--the man's character and habits are expertly shown. Jim comes to befriend fellow musicians like pianist Ray Manzarek, guitarist Robby Krieger and drummer John Densmore. Together they form an inseparable quartet that rocks the world with their bluesy, attractive and unforgettable songs, including "Light My Fire," perhaps the group's grandest achievement. Jim's drug habits and addictions sometimes influenced his songs but eventually let to his untimely death at 27. A wild, poetic figure and icon of the hippy uprising, this movie will be a lot of fun for any Morrison/Doors fan. But if you are not familiar with this period of music or this group at all, you may find yourself lost. In fact, I'm almost certain you will. But for those enthusiasts out there who really like getting a look into what Morrison and his friends were like, as well as the time back then, you will enjoy this movie.