Filmaholic78

Meh.....Okay I guess, 23 January 2012

I'm not sure why this film seems to be getting fantastic reviews. I mean it was a good enough action flick but it didn't blow my mind. In fact it was a case of the same old stuff just done better. Brilliant to watch but not refreshing at the same time. The story was lacking in depth and character development and just felt like a filler for another sequel.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom about it because Kate really did kick some ass and looked good doing it too so as far as action and eye candy goes its great. But any fan of the series knows that the Underworld saga isn't stupid. They always paid attention to script and story and that was lacking here unfortunately.

I'm sure if you go and see it you wont be disappointed but just leave your brains at the door and watch the action commence.

Great film. Highly recommend it to everyone, 11 January 2012

This was either going to be a complete success or a complete let down. Thank god it was a success.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was better than the first film but by no means was it poor. The first film set a very high standard as far as Sherlock Holmes films goes and this one was almost back at that same level.

The acting, directing, cinematography, style and presentation are of the highest caliber. The story is fun and entertaining but at the same time clever and intriguing. Everything you would want really with the emphasis on ENTERTAINING.

I could easily watch this film again and can't wait to add this one to my DVD collection when it becomes available.

If I had any criticism that I had to mention I would say there is probably too much action to the point where the whole Sherlock punch ups become slightly repetitive. Only a minor thing and I will let you make your own mind up on that one.

If you haven't seen it yet what are you waiting for?????

50/50 (2011)
I didn't want to watch this film. So glad I did, 1 December 2011

Cancer and Comedy.

Two things that should never be mixed together.

However 50/50 does, and it works. Using the phrase comedy is slightly miss leading to be honest in this case. There are some really nice light comedic references/situations that lighten the mood of the film without detracting from the seriousness of it but in essence it is a drama. A heart felt, well written, well directed and extremely well acted masterpiece.

In a nutshell it is a very believable journey of not only one mans struggle with cancer but also the effects it has on people around him.

Before I went to see the film I was very apprehensive as just the thought of cancer makes my stomach turn and the last thing I wanted to do is watch something depressing and upsetting. Both of these elements rarely make it in to 50/50 and I just sat back and enjoyed it from start to finish.

What a great story and a great film. I highly recommend you go and see this one.

Meh!!!! I enjoyed the suspense and scares but thats about it., 28 October 2011

Firstly I haven't seen the first and second film of the trilogy but that didn't matter due to this being a prequel. I was told by my friend who watched it with me that there are a lot of references to the other two films but it doesn't prevent you from enjoying or understanding what's going on so if your in the same boat as I was don't let that put you off.

I didn't not enjoy PA3 but at the same time I didn't love it either. Hence the title Meh. Below I will highlight what are in my honest opinion the good and bad points.

The good points:- Great use of suspense, camera work, acting was surprisingly good and towards the end of the film a lot of jumps and scares. Also without giving any spoilers away the Bloody Mary scene was intense and entertaining and my highlight of the film.

The bad points:- Very slow, it does get better and of course it couldn't be too fast paced because that would soften the build up of tension but it did start to drag a little bit. The use of amateur camera work is great because it adds to the real feel of the film, however if I heard a noise or went to investigate something I would rather pick up a baseball bat rather than a camera all the time. I just started to feel that the over use of carried camera shots started to take away the believability of the scenes/film.

That's it really, I enjoyed PA3 for what it was but at the same time I can't really rave about it because it was above average but not great. As for all the reviews I have read saying how annoyed they are that all the scenes from the trailer aren't in the film, I say I'm glad they aren't. There's nothing worse than seeing half a film condensed in to trailers so when you watch it your expecting or you know what's going to happen.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about watching the film, just remember it's not bad but it's also not great and try to enjoy it for what it is.

Super 8 (2011)
Loved it!!!!!!!, 11 August 2011

I have got to say Super 8 was a breath of fresh air. I have read a few of the reviews here on IMDb and have to agree with them that the film does have the old Steven Spielberg, E.T feel and in my books that is a great thing, however it is not any any shape or form the same as E.T, I just wanted to make that clear from the start. The references to the directing style and E.T are more centred around the story telling and feel of Super 8 not the actual physical content.

J.J Abrams gives us a masterclass in writing and directing. He somehow manages to capture your attention and draw you in to the film, the actors, mainly the children, do the film proud and it is fascinating to see them act well at acting bad. (This will make sense once you have watched the film). It has everything you want from action to comedy, drama to romance and it is all seamlessly weaved together.

I absolutely loved Super 8, it's an instant classic and recommend it to anyone.

Go and see it.

Great end to a fantastic story, 16 July 2011

I haven't read the books yet so perhaps I enjoyed this film more than true Potter Fenatics. All I can say is I'm sure they will have missed loads of the original story out but unless you are aware of whats missing the film as a whole is great. In the defence for the Director and Producers I would imagine there was just far too much to cram in to the film and some of it possibly wouldn't have translated well on to screen so this has to be forgiven. Doesn't it? Any way I have loved all the films from year 1 to year 7 and it was nice to have David Yates back to direct this one. He stuck to his guns and this second instalment carries on with the same feel as the previous few he made. I found the first films all felt slightly different and disjointed, with each director, quite rightly, putting their own spin on them however with David at the helm there is more consistency here.

The acting is surprising good for a change, the special effects are off the hook and the action is captured perfectly. What I will say is, and this is starting to be a common occurrence in my honest opinion, that the 3D doesn't actually add anything to the film. When you consider you pay more for the 3D experience you would expect more. It doesn't ruin the film but just doesn't do, well anything for it.

One last thing I will say is that if you live in Cheltenham or the Cotswolds for that matter I recommend you go and watch Harry Potter in the new screening rooms that Cineworld have opened here. It's a completely new experience for a day out at the cinema, you are greeted when you walk in, served drinks and food in the waiting area, escorted to your seats, which by the way are huge, made from leather and have a table and ice bucket, and then before the film starts have at seat service. This just added to the fun and comfort and I can't stress enough how much it made the overall experience just that bit more special. Here is the link to the Screening rooms website if your interested http://www.thescreeningrooms.co.uk

To sum Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 up. A great ending to a Fantstic story and it doesn't disappoint.

Fantastic 5* British Film, 15 May 2011

Firstly you have got understand this film is made in the same genre and style as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. It's pure British humour and is designed not to take itself too seriously. Having said that I have to admit the start of the film depicts a gritty reality that could almost be mistaken as a scene from a real drama like "Harry Brown". Then afterwards the fun begins. It is pure comical laugh out loud genius. I have read a few bad reviews here on IMDb and I can only assume these reviewers just didn't get it. I'm not going to say they are wrong, they just obviously don't find this type of humour entertaining. The producers and director hit the nail on the head with this one by mixing the grim reality that little chavs are in fact little bas*ar#s, their English is terrible, attitudes stink and have no respect what so ever. Combine that with aliens, hilarious dialogue and a ridiculous situation and you get Attack the Block. Whats so funny about the film is you can actually believe thats how these little mother fluffers act. The direction is fantastic, acting is surprisingly good and what I was relieved at are the special effects weren't as bad as I thought they would be. After I saw a trailer for the film I had my doubts, the aliens looked a bit naff, the "made by the Producers of Shaun of the Dead" and name dropping of Nick Frost made me think they were going to rely on this for success but thankfully they delivered a film that stands on it's own two feet. What I will say though is I don't think anyone outside of the u.k will enjoy it as much, it is very British and they probably wouldn't get a lot of the dialogue/slang and references. To sum this one up I have to say it did everything it set out to do well, I really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone that wants to watch a non stop fun fest.

Priest (2011)
And the award for the movie with the most clichés goes to...., 8 May 2011

WARNING.....This film is not worth spending your hard earned cash on. It's not that its a bad film it's just not that great. As my title says it's every cliché in the book rolled in to one. It got to the point where we were laughing out loud at the stupidity and predictiveness of it. It's such a shame because the concept, special effects and action were actually quite good it's just let down by the sheer lackluster script, story and direction. Don't get me started on the so called 3D because it was non existent and if it wasn't a waste of money going to see the film in the first place the extra to see it in 3D adds insult to injury. To sum Priest up in one word.... POOR. To sum Priest up in two words....Very poor.

Thor (2011)
If you like Marvel then you will like this., 26 April 2011

Firstly I want to point out that I am giving this film 8 out of 10 on the basis that it is a Marvel super hero action film. To review it any other way would be unfair. It doesn't take itself seriously, sticks to the comic book characters well and also links in well with the other Avenger stories / SHIELD i.e Iron man, Hulk and probably Captain America.

It contains everything needed to make it fun and entertaining with lots of action, great special effects, a few laughs and then topped off with more action.

My only issue was that I went to see it in 3D and felt it really didn't need it. In fact I thought it was more of a distraction than anything else when it was used and that didn't seem to be very often, therefore you watch the majority of the film slightly blurred for only a few minutes of real 3D. If I could rewind time I would probably have preferred just to go and watch the 2D version.

All in all though it was just a good film and if you do go and see it just remember what your going to watch, a film adaptation from a comic book, not a serious drama or some artsy fartsy garbage. Just sheer stupid unrealistic fun.

Scream 4 (2011)
As good as the first film if not better!!!!!, 24 April 2011

If you are a fan of the Scream series then this is a must see.

If you liked the first film but thought the next two were rubbish then this is the film to watch.

If you haven't seen any of the Scream films....what rock have you been hiding under?...but go and see it anyway.

I loved it. The first film will always be a classic and I felt that the second and third instalments were a bit over the top, they under achieved and a left a sour taste in my mouth.

This instalment saves the franchise hands down. It sticks to its roots planted in the first film and is great to watch from start to finish. I have to say I was a bit apprehensive about going to see Scream 4 as I wasn't sure if they were just milking the brand for more money but they didn't.

The only slight issue I had was Courtney Cox's botox. My god she has had some work done and at one point I wasn't sure if she could smile, frown or do any other facial expressions. Still she reprieved her role as Gail brilliantly.

Go and see this film. It gets two thumbs up from me and it's just great fun to watch, you won't be let down.