MReed542

Flipped (2010)
A charming surprise of a film, 17 August 2011

What a cute movie this is! This movie was one of those stumbled upon gems that sneaks up on you and makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Some heavy hitting actors and Rob Reiner's gifted writing and oversight help raise this movie up from what at first glance looks like another sappy coming of age movie. But what really makes this movie stand out is the charming performances of the two adorable, perfectly cast middle schoolers whose lives we get to follow. The story is creatively told from both of the lead's points of view and through this technique I was transported back to happy times in my own life when the world revolved around simpler things and perspective was everything. Do yourself a favor and take a couple of hours and watch this movie!

Remember Me - Unfortunately disappointing. C minus. Sorry, Rob, 15 March 2010

"Remember Me" – the title of the movie Robert Pattinson chose to star in as his first step away from the Twilight world. After watching this movie on opening night, with high hopes for this charming young hunk, I wondered if the title itself was what drew Rob to the project. Was he trying to say, "God, PLEASE remember me! (Because I know that fame is fleeting and you all are going to turn on me any minute!)"? I suspect that after opening weekend, he would like to change the title to "Remember Me as Edward Cullen and please forget you ever saw me in this movie." But it wasn't all bad. The last 8 minutes of this movie are so powerful and so emotion-evoking that I would almost recommend sitting through the other 2 hours just to see the ending. Almost. I'm sure the ending was one of the things that drew Pattinson to Executive Produce this film however, the 2 hours leading up to it are so slow and so melodramatic and so predictable and so cliché that by the time you get to the great ending you don't care the way the writer intended you to.

Curiously, the ending actually feels disconnected from the rest of the movie - as if someone else filmed and edited the ending and it belonged to a different really good movie. I felt like all the pieces were there to make it good, but it just didn't have enough substance. Or something. I found myself trying to understand why it didn't work because on paper it should have worked. It's a story of a young man whose brother tragically dies. He closes himself off in anger and isolation until he meets a girl that awakens him and helps him to love again. I personally never get tired of such drivel, but for some reason this just didn't work.

I'm having trouble admitting it, but I have to admit the blame falls primarily to the weak acting skills of Robert Pattinson. I'm not sure why other reviewers are dancing around this fact, but his performance was weak and self-indulgent and so guarded there was no way you were cracking through that skin to get to that character's heart. I wanted to love him in this. I really did, but I found myself thinking that this could have been a good movie in a good actor's hands.

Even the strong performances all around him didn't help and it was actually an odd thing to watch. It was like everyone was acting AROUND him yet he never actually interacted or acted WITH them. Unfortunately, it caused you to not understand or care about the character. This character, in a seasoned actor's hands could have been heart-wrenching and the ending would have left you sobbing for hours. As it was, it was boring and Pattinson's character unlikeable and flat.

His character (Tyler) smokes, drinks, and mopes his way through life and instead of caring you just want to bathe him and bleach his pigsty of an apartment and tell him to stop complaining that he has a father who gladly bails him out of bad situations and pays his rent so he can mope around not working while studying sociology.

But it's not fair to place the blame completely on Pattinson. The director and the writer can share some of the failure. For example, Pattinson's character (Tyler) goes through the typical "I'm angry at the world and shut off until I fell in love and now I'm going to make up with my father" but you just don't see the transition and you're left asking yourself "why is he better now? Did I miss a scene?" And there's not really enough back-story for you to really understand the characters' motivations so you never really feel involved in their lives even though you desperately want to be. The script could have used a few more drafts and some expert eyes.

The one place I can't place blame is on the supporting cast. They all worked so hard on their individual characters that they must have been exhausted at the end of the day trying to make this movie work. Chris Cooper stands out as probably the best performance as the father of Pattinson's love interest, Ally. His character was cliché but he made it a very intense and real performance. Pierce Brosnan plays Tyler's high powered business man father perfectly. In one scene Brosnan tells his executives to "sit the f*** down" and I felt compelled to sit very still in my seat for fear of retribution. Lina Olin, one of my all time favorite actresses was wonderful as Tyler's mother and Tate Ellington as Tyler's roommate provided some much needed comic relief. Tyler's little sister Caroline (Ruby Jerins) was sweet and for whatever reason was the closest anyone got in the film to connecting with Pattinson. They were ALMOST really cute together. Emilie De Ravin was well cast as a daughter of a cop raised without a mom in New York, but she was working so hard to connect with Pattinson that I was exhausted watching her. Her character too, has a tragedy she's living with but it just doesn't seem to be a real factor in anything she does.

I wanted so badly to go back in time, take Rob Pattinson aside and suggest strongly that if he really wanted to put his money into this film that he should let a seasoned actor play the lead. It might have worked. Unfortunately, I just don't think he's quite ready to play a lead and it came off as some sort of self-indulgent cathartic way for him to spend a summer in New York while making a relatively safe short-term investment off the heels of Twilight.

Gets a C minus. Would have been solid D if not for the awesome ending and good supporting performances.

Star Trek (2009)
I've already seen it twice!, 10 May 2009

OK so I'm old enough to have actually watched the shows as a child and yes, my husband was wearing Spock ears the first time I met him (it was Halloween), and yes, I have the original Hallmark Star Trek Enterprise Christmas Ornament in a safe deposit box so when I give this movie a 10 out of 10 you can believe that it's a 10!(Not that I even come close to true Trekkies but...this movie was so great that I have already seen it twice since it opened 2 days ago!)

The loudest applause definitely goes to JJ Abrams who so perfectly captured every nuance of the essence of Star Trek that it's a real shame the Academy Awards Committee doesn't think that Sci-Fi is art.

The actors could not have been more perfectly cast nor could they have played these legendary parts with higher quality. I felt like each one of the actors respected these characters deeply and cared for them as if it were the greatest honor in the world to play them.

Chris Pine channeled William Shatner and I swear that Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy are related somehow. McCoy was awesome and Scotty? Wow. Just not enough Scotty though. Uruha. Such a GREAT update to her character while staying true to it.

I loved the nods to favorite episodes and even the style of the bad guy music was reminiscent of the old battle scenes in the original series. And I admit it, when they first see the Enterprise out of the shuttle window, there were tears in my eyes. An AWESOME treat! Go see it. Twice. At least!

A great surprise of a film, 3 May 2009

I admit that I went to see this film because Robert Pattinson was in it but I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I actually really liked this film. A lot. Pattinson's Dali was definitely well done and entertaining – no need for him to be embarrassed by this performance – he CAN act. But the real accolades go to Javier Beltran's portrayal of Lorca. This film is really about him. I thought Beltran's performance was refreshingly understated and I felt every pang of his heart. Marina Gatell was also exceptional and I thought her scenes were perfectly acted. What I liked about this movie was that it did not beat me over the head with an idea or a message. It just told the story and through the performances of the actors I connected in a subtle yet deep way. I thought there were many very well done scenes. I laughed out loud at some and I cried at others. I love movies that have quiet visually wonderful scenes that make a mark and this movie had several. I particularly liked a scene where Lorca is writing and Dali is painting in a garage of sorts. There's also a great scene where Dali paints a canvas and himself totally black. Great stuff. I wish we got to see more of Spain but I guess budget constraints are to blame there. Also, it's one of those art house movies where you can't understand what the actors are saying at times. Frustrating because most of the lines I did get to hear were very well written and delivered. All in all I loved it.