tom_koopa

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Within the Rock (1996) (TV)
Generic 'alien on the loose' flick, 3 February 2014

A huge asteroid is on it's way to smash the Earth, so a team of scientists and drillers is sent there to dig into the rock and blow it up from the inside. While digging they find a chamber with some sort of alien fossil inside. Of course eventually this fossil becomes alive and starts to maul the crew one by one.

This movie is basically a fusion of Alien and Armageddon (although not as good as either film, not even close).

It's an okay movie in the genre, although I will admit seeing it at a young age left an impression on me. The creature looks decent enough. Sadly there's nothing really redeeming about this movie. All the aspects are just.. generic. I think that's the best word to describe this movie. It has a few good scenes, but in the end it just doesn't wow you.

If you're a fan of movies like these, go ahead and watch it. Just don't expect a masterpiece.

My rating is 6/10

Carrie (1976)
Fantastic movie!, 29 January 2012

Carrie is about a young, timid girl in high-school who gets bullied around and mocked every day. At home she has to deal with a very strange and quite possibly disturbed mother.

Because of this she has no confidence and has nothing good to say about herself. This all changes slightly when she's invited to the prom by one of the (more) popular boys.

Carrie discovers she has the power of telekinesis; the power to move or influence objects with the mind. It seems to trigger whenever she's in stress, is angry or is confused.

Things are building up when one of the girls in Carrie's class is denied entry to the prom, and she blames Carrie for it...

---

After watching this just now, I have to say... wow. Just wow. This movie is truly amazing. The movie has a fantastic build-up and it's great to see so many elements in this story come together, for good or worse. I was on the edge of my seat for the 2nd half.

The acting is perfect. Sissy Spacek as Carrie steals the show. She portraits her role as a confused, scared young woman with much power and emotion. Piper Laurie as Carrie's mother is another amazing role in this movie. None of the other characters look bad; they all play their roles just fine.

Another thing I'd like to point out what's good about this movie is the music. Very fitting, strong (and also very unnerving) music that plays throughout the movie.

I'd recommend this movie for anyone who enjoys dramatic stories. Carrie is a breathtaking story of sadness, hatred, confusion and a thin ray of hope...

9 out of 10 stars

Charming, a little predictable but still fun, 11 October 2010

The Wasp Woman (1959) tells about the leading lady of a cosmetics company who is afraid (and later almost paranoid) about aging and losing her beauty. She turns to a scientist who has been experimenting with royal jelly taken from a queen wasp. After seeing the results on some animals, she agrees to partake in the doctor's experiments. The woman is injected with the serum, but she wants more. After the scientist is run over by a car and ends up in a coma, she sneaks into the laboratory and injects herself with even more serum. The results are satisfactory, although something is also very wrong...

The movie ain't that bad. Sure, some elements are pretty cliché now, but that's what makes movies like these stand out. You either love it or hate it, but I personally like the charm of the black-and-white movies of this age (50's - 60's).

The acting is okay, the music is standard and the effects are... hokey. But it all works for the movie and they make a good combination together.

There's also a small moral to learn from this movie, which is a nice little touch in my opinion.

In overall, I give the Wasp Woman 7 out 10 stars, just purely for it's classic atmosphere and plot.

Somewhat enjoyable Godzilla-like movie with a twist or two, 7 October 2010

The Giant Behemoth is a movie about a giant, electric, radioactive, prehistoric monster. Haven't seen so many adjectives for a monster have you? The beast goes on a rampage in London eventually and it's up to a team of military men and scientists to put a stop to the creature without harming the people of the city.

At some points of the movie, it clearly takes inspiration from or even blatantly copies parts of Godzilla movies. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it might upset fans of big G.

The movie starts slow, but once the last half hour kicks in, there's a lot of stuff going on. If you are a fan of giant monster movies, then this one should be in your collection.

The Giant Behemoth ain't bad, but it isn't outstanding either.

6 out of 10 stars.

More violent then I anticipated..., 7 October 2010

I was quite shocked after watching this movie, to be honest. In a good and bad way, mind you.

First, let me tell you the story of Food of the Gods in a nutshell. On an island, a strange goo (I guess) mixed with animal food changes some of the animals into giant monsters. Wasps, chickens, worms and especially the rats turn out to be a real menace. When several people get involved and end up being locked inside a farm, it all comes down to a struggle to survive...

Why was I shocked, you may ask? For one thing, there is a lot more gore or at least nasty scenes then I thought there would be in this film. I guess I either underestimated the movie or classified it as the wrong type from the beginning.

People get attacked by a lot of critters, but the main enemies are the rats though. People get ripped to shreds. Even though you do not see everything, it still was rather unpleasant to look at sometimes. By today standards, it would probably be nothing to the average gore-hound, but back then I'm sure it would be very scary or even gruesome.

But the thing that got me most is the violence the other way; towards the rats. They get shot, punched, chopped and even drown in the end. In particular the final scene was actually very sad. I really hope the film makers didn't use real rats for this footage. Me questioning about this topic does prove that the guys in the visual effect department did a fairly good job.

In overall, this is a pretty good movie for it's time. Go check it out if you like movies about (giant) animals attacking people.

7 out of 10 stars.

Eating brains? Oh my..., 7 October 2010

What is there to say about this movie? Not an awful lot really. It's a standard (almost cliché) black-and-white movie about parasites latching onto the necks of people, controlling them and eventually making them die.

The acting is mediocre, the story develops slowly and the effects are ... well, 'okay' for it's time. If you are a fan of movies from this age, then go ahead and watch it. It's only an hour long though.

One thing I should mention is Leonard Nimoy (you know, Mr. Spock?). Barely recognizable, but he is indeed in this movie.

I give this movie 6 out of 10 stars, since it has all the charms of a movie of it's age. Enjoyable for the fans, but not really outstanding.

Not as bad as other similar movies of it's time, 5 October 2010

The monster that challenged the world! You can tell from the title alone that this is a very cheesy B&W monster movie. You will probably assume that it has a clunky story, boring characters, lame monster design and very cheap effects.

Well, yes and no. This movie isn't as bad as I first thought it would be. It has that classic charm from most movies of it's time.

Let's break down the elements of the film one by one.

To explain the story in a nutshell, it's about a giant mollusk-type creature emerging from a lake after an earthquake, terrorizing the countryside. It's up to a handful of people to stop this creature.

The acting: it was quite good actually. It's always a little tricky to act 'serious' when you face a giant fabricated monster, but they did a nice job in this movie. I didn't find any major inconsistencies in the plot or dialogs, which is nice. There are of course always some scenes in a movie like this that look pretty bad, but there weren't many in this film. In overall, I couldn't really complain about the characters.

What is there to say about the music? It's just a classic, standard score that fits a movie like this just fine.

The monster is quite original for a change. Sure, nowadays it may look silly or even unbelievably cheesy, but you got to have an open mind for films like these. I thought the monster was well-done and actually looks a little intimidating in some scenes. Not bad guys.

What else is there worth mentioning? Well, if I have to name one point of critique, it would have to be the underwater scenes. A lot of shots are re-used and sometimes it doesn't look very realistic. Maybe it was done on purpose, but it just looks a bit messy.

The monster that challenged the world is really not that bad. If you are a fan of B&W monster movies, then this one is a must for your collection. 7 out of 10 stars!

A very nice prequel to the first Dead Space game!, 4 October 2010

At first, I didn't think an animated movie would be a good medium for a prequel to a survival horror game.

Turns out I was very wrong! I loved the Dead Space video game with it's creepy atmosphere, disgusting monsters and violent scenes. At the end of the game, there are still several mysteries unexplained though. And that's where Downfall comes into play.

Dead Space Downfall explains almost everything about the events of the game Dead Space. Mainly the whole reason WHY they brought the marker on board and what the purpose of it is. There's also a lot of dialog and a collection of characters of which some return in Dead Space through flashbacks, audio logs or cut-scenes.

In overall, this movie connects very well to the first Dead Space game. It's very violent, bloody and scary at times; just like the video game.

I highly recommend to watch this if you've played Dead Space. Don't watch it before you played the game though. It would spoil a lot of the nifty plot twists in the game...

I give Dead Space Downfall 8 out of 10 stars.

Not as good as the original, but still enjoyable for Blob fans, 4 October 2010

Since this is a direct sequel to the original Blob movie, this film picks up almost immediately where The Blob ended. A frozen piece of the Blob is accidentally allowed to thaw out and from there it eats, eats and eats some more until it reaches a climax similar to the famous cinema scene of the original. Only this time; it's a bowling alley.

The main problem I have with this movie is that it doesn't deliver anything new really. It's just different characters, a different environment and a slightly different plot.

If you really love the Blob and can't get enough; then this movie is for you. If you are not a Blob fan, you may not find much to enjoy in this movie.

A mediocre, but slightly enjoyable film. I give it 6 out of 10 stars.

A pretty good King film, 4 October 2010

The story: The Tommyknockers is a pretty interesting movie about a quiet, friendly town called Haven. Everything's peaceful and perfect until a woman uncovers a strange rock in the woods. Slowly, yet surely, strange things begin to manifest amongst the townspeople. People are disappearing into thin air, people are inventing new, unbelievable machines, people are acting really strange all of a sudden... One man is skeptic about all of this and decides to put a stop to this madness. Only one problem: the whole town turns against him.

I won't spoil how it all ends and how the mysteries are explained, since that would destroy the purpose of watching this.

I liked the acting; it's pretty solid and all the characters do their part well. There's the local sheriff, the seducing femme fatal, the kind grandpa, the ambitious kid, the alcohol addict and so on. It may be not Shakespeare, but I think they did a good job.

I also have to note the music. It fits the movie and it adds a certain creepiness to the whole story.

If I have to name a bad thing, I have to look pretty hard. Maybe the last few scenes are a bit.. off compared to the rest of the film, but that's just me. For some reason they didn't seem to fit in the story. When everything is explained, it took away a part of the charm this movie had for me. I liked it better when it was all a mystery.

Last, but not least, I must mention the duration. The Tommyknockers is about 3 hours long, so just make sure you got the time for watching it.

I give this 8 out of 10 stars.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]