yossarian100

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

iBoy (2017)
Great Entertainment!, 28 January 2017

A great double feature movie would be "Attack the Block," and "iBoy."

Bill Milner, playing an offbeat nerdy looking hero, commands every scene he appears in, which is pretty amazing, since Maisie Williams steals every scene she's in with her own unique beauty and a to-die-for personality. Ya, I've been a fan of hers since day one on "Game of Thrones."

"iBoy" has plenty of action, but it doesn't skimp on taking the time to get inside the character's heads. The special effects look cool, without overpowering the camera work, and the sets are perfect for the story.

Rory Kinnear, who I shall always remember as the Creature in "Penny Dreadful," gives us a near perfect villain, although I really wish they had given him more screen time.

Take a leap of faith and accept that having parts of an iPhone embedded in your brain turns you into a talented cyborg, and you will have a grand time. In other words, don't pick the movie apart. Just enjoy it.

Great, if you can ignore the trailers, 28 January 2017

The trailers make this look like a bookend for "Sweet Sixteen," and that's a terrible thing to do to an audience. Instead of a laugh-a-minute comedy, we get a rather serious coming-of-age story with some laughs and a few tears.

OK, the reason to see this movie is a standout performance by Hailee Steinfeld and a nice bit of acting by Woody Harrelson, even if his character was seriously underutilized.

Once I got over the disappointment of not being given the type of movie the trailers promised, I was able to settle in and enjoy the movie for what it actually is.

"The Edge of Seventeen" is both funny and touching, with an outstanding performance by Hailee Steinfeld, and should be enjoyed by pretty much everyone.

Best Whining by a Single Guy.....Ever!, 10 January 2017

Great screenplay, great dialog, and a most wonderful collection of sketches tied together by a general theme of whining about not being in a relationship with Miss Perfect.

Aaron Tveit gives a tremendously satisfying performance, as does the entire supporting cast, who play off one another like a seasoned theater group.

I chuckled non-stop, and that says.....It doesn't get any better than this. However, if don't get urban wit, some of this might go over your head. Or, if you expect a romantic comedy to follow a formula, you might be disappointed, too.

Still, I give this a hearty recommendation. "Better Off Single" is witty, probing, and spot-on honest. Enjoy!

Bad Moms (2016)
I laughed 'till I cried, all the way through!, 9 January 2017

Definitely the funniest movie I've seen in a long, long time. The chemistry between Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, and Kathryn Hahn was an absolute delight to watch.

The narrative moves forward at quite a clip, and I'm pretty sure I laughed non stop through the entire film. "Bad Moms" is almost a textbook example of how to write a comedy.

You'll want to own this, and I promise you'll be watching this again and soon. I'm already planning a double feature with "Bad Santa."

"Bad Moms'' is a great comedy, so make sure you don't listen to the anal retentive types who panned it.......and DON'T MISS IT!

Coin Heist (2017)
Good Heist Story with Decent Characters, 8 January 2017

If you can appreciate a decent heist story pulled of by decent teenage characters, without Hollywood production values, then you should really give this a try.

Emily Hagins wrote and directed and I think she did a fine job with the adaptation from a novel. The narrative had a strong even pace and it never dragged. The young actors gave it their all, and I think they pulled it off just fine.

Don't be too critical of these small indie efforts, and you'll find a gem or two. "Coin Heist" may not have the huge budget that the "Oceans" series had, but the story was just as interesting and just as well told.

Enjoy it.

Crazy Wonderful!!, 8 January 2017

Two Wild and Crazy Guys who pull out all the stops is what John Michael McDonagh had in mind when he created this totally outrageous over the top masterpiece.

I loved the chemistry between Alexander Skarsgard and Michael Pena, I think more than any buddy movie I've ever seen, except for maybe "Freebie and the Bean," with Alan Arkin and James Caan. They were just great together, and together they hit this one right over the center field wall.

I'll own this because I definitely plan on watching it again and again. If you like black comedies where they've thrown out the rule book, you're going to love this.

My highest recommendation for pure unadulterated entertainment.

I loved it! Almost as good as "World War Z.", 7 January 2017

Definitely worth your time. Just goes to prove you can make a darn good movie out of a Zombie story, just like you can out of any other story. Just spend the money, get a good director, good writers, and hire skilled actors.

"Girl" kept me right on the edge of my seat, and it made me think about what was happening and why. I also loved the sets, especially when they got to the city, and I really got into the story.

The big surprise for me was the cast. They were all Pros, especially the young woman who starred in this. She nailed her part.

If you enjoy good Zombie movies, or just unusual stories, you'll love this.

Excellent - Loads of Laugh-Out-Loud Moments, 2 January 2017

"Keeping Up With The Joneses" is a wonderful classic absurdist comedy with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments to go around.

The lead actors have great chemistry, and the script is smart and sassy. If you enjoy this type of comedy, where one character keeps his foot permanently inserted in his mouth, you'll love the movie.

I'm a pushover for good movies, but I get absolutely delighted when I get to laugh out loud.

I can easily recommend this delightful comedy, and I plan to watch it again and soon, too.

When I use IMDb reviews to help me pick out movies to watch, I'm only interested in reading reviews from those who loved the movie. I seriously want to know why they loved it. I couldn't care less about negative reviews. I set the filters for review searches to show me only the reviews where people loved what they saw. Doing it this way, I end up liking better than 95% of the movies I pick.

My only objection to IMDb review rules is the 10 line minimum. A few sentences is all I need. Anything more is a waste of my time.

Wonderful Adaptation of a Mankell Masterpiece, 16 December 2016

If you enjoy reading Henning Mankell, you'll love this. The characters felt real and the plot unfolded just as I hoped it would. I also think the screenplay writer did an amazing job of bringing the screenplay down to a manageable size, otherwise this two part mini-series would have gone to more than six hours.

This adaptation captures the original feelings and focus of the novel, the actors did a good job, and the director had a firm grasp of the material and how to best present it.

I completely enjoyed watching this in one sitting, and the slightly more than 3 hours just seemed to fly by. I have no hesitation recommending this to you at all.

Now I'm looking forward to rereading the novel again, followed by another viewing of the film.

Spectral (2016)
Excellent Science Fiction where Science and Engineering are the Good Guys, 13 December 2016

Highly entertaining story with wonderful sets, special effects that don't drown the story, and believable solid performances from the cast. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I especially enjoyed seeing Science and Engineering come to the rescue, and that was central to the entire story.

Special effects were used to enhance the visuals, not take the place of them, and the screenplay moved the story forward with some snappy writing. Kept my interest for the entire movie, too.

If you enjoy science fiction, war movies, or action/adventure, this should be right up your alley. I have no difficulty recommending this at all. In fact, I hope we see more just like this.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]