gorthu

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

One of the best kung fu movies ever made, 26 April 2009

Jimmy Lee stars alongside Norman Chu, Kwan Young Moon and Alan Hsu in this near masterpiece produced by Lo Wai. The story is much more thought out than your average kung fu tale. Even though the movie on a whole is extremely strong, the fighting is what makes it so great. Kwan Young Moon and Jimmy Lee give their single greatest performances, and based on fighting alone, this movie is one of top 10 best kung fu movies ever. The ending is a super intense 17 minute non stop killfest. If you are not a fan of kung fu cinema, this may turn you into one. I don't know how Jimmy Lee didn't become a big star, but he sold every punch and kick so well that I honestly think he should have won an acting award. Unlike movies of today, Rebellious Reign has all the stuff I miss. Countless movements in a single take, stuntmen putting their lives on the line to make the action look good, and an epic story. Kung fu movies don't get any better than this.

Stephen Chow delivers the laughs, but the movie is just average, 26 April 2009

Stephen Chow stars as a young judge who allows himself to be pushed around. He gets offerred a bribe to let someone free, but it turns out he was being tricked and loses his spot as a judge. Now he has to work for a brothel as a gigilo and ends up learning talking kung fu from Ada Choi. He ends up being named the supreme judge and shows that he can argue with even the best of lawyers.

This is not a great movie or anything, but it is a lot of fun. Stephen Chow has a few brilliant comedic moments, but there is just too much time filler. The problem with Stephen Chow movies is that they rarely feel original. There are a few that stand out, but most of the time Chow plays someone who starts out rich, turns poor, then has to fight his way back to the top. Another thing that is the same is that Ng Man Tat always stars alongside Chow, and Cheung Man always plays his love interest. But luckily they come up with a few new things. Ada Choi is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen and she has a great role as the mistress of the brothel. The ending is a hilarious sequence in the courtroom and only Stephen Chow can deliver huge laughs in a mindless movie like this.

A strange and touching movie, 26 April 2009

2 giant snakes named White (Joey Wong) and Green (Maggie Cheung) are trying to become humans. White does her best at trying to act like a human but Green finds it too hard to change. White falls in love with an honest man, and even after he finds out she is a snake he still loves her. But Green doesn't like all the attention that White is getting and starts flirting with her man. Vincent Zhao plays a high monk with unlimited power and his job is to kill any evil beings who do not follow the Heavenly laws. He has problems of his own and does not know for sure if these 2 snakes are truly evil.

This is quite an adventure and it never gets boring. Joey Wong is very good in her role, but Maggie Cheung manages to outshine her. I would have liked to see some actual kung fu moves from Vincent Zhao, but he is perfect for his role. He is a master of playing straight-faced roles like the one he plays in this movie. The music is mesmerizing and the ending is very special even though it is a bit illogical. But then again, this is a movie with snakes and spiders acting as humans so the end doesn't feel too far fetched. It is one of the best endings I have ever seen. This is not you typical mindless Hong Kong movie. I had to watch it a few times to take it all in, and it manages to get better every time I see it. This movie is a real gem.

There is no real fighting, and the action is what you would expect from a Tsui Hark wuxia. All of the action involves flying around, posing, and using magical powers.

An all star kung fu cast in a very boring movie, 26 April 2009

I usually don't care whether or not a kung fu movie has a good story, but the story is the reason I didn't like this movie. Everybody is looking for a map and it just doesn't make much sense. There are other parts to the story but it is mainly just mindless talking.

I suggest just fast forwarding to the last 20 minutes. Dorian Tan, Lo Lieh, Roc Tien Peng, Angela Mao Ying, and Chang Yi all get to show off, and Chang Yi is the only one I felt got enough fighting time. He is on fire in the final fights and he is the only reason this movie is worth watching.

/////////////////

Xin jia fa (1999)
Louis Koo- WOW, 26 April 2009

This is another review where I am not going to go into the plot. It is way too complicated. I'd probably mess it up somewhere, so I'll just go over everything else. And don't worry, the plot isn't hard to follow, it would just take too long (for me) to describe. Alex Fong plays a bigtime gangster, and after some crazy events, Louis Koo joins his gang. Louis Koo is really the only thing I want to talk about. Seeing him in a role like this is something special. The guy is a total badazz. I don't see how he isn't a star in American movies yet. Seeing him in movies like Flash Point, Bullets Over Summer, and now this, it just seems like he has unlimited potential. And I still have a lot of his movies to see, like Throwdown and Election. I have a feeling that I haven't even seen the best of him.

Alex Fong does a good acting job, about as good as he is capable of, and Simon Loui, Frankie Ng and Sam Lee give great performances.

The action is OK. Loius Koo does good, but it's too obvious that he doesn't have the real life skill level of the killing machine that he's made out to be. But dang those big knives are sweet. No complaints there. There is one fight I liked a lot, MIGHT BE A SMALL SPOILER HERE- Loius Koo vs Simon Loui. It's not choreographed very well, but I can't explain it, it's just a great fight with a great ending to the fight. I don't know if Koo won an award for his performance, but he should have. There are few that can show the pain that he shows.

So don't go into this movie thinking it will be great, and you will have to take a chance on it, but you may just like it.

The ending of this movie is really amazing. I love when Alex Fong tells Koo that he didn't have to cause all this bloodshed, he would have just fought Koo, man to man. And then the very end of the movie is incredible. I shouldn't even be saying this. Because if you are expecting something really incredible like a big action scene, you will be very disappointed. So I guess the best way to describe it is to say that I absolutely loved the end of the movie. You just gotta love gangster movies! One more thing, this movie has an AWESOME soundtrack.

One of the Shaw Brothers best, 26 April 2009

Made in 1970, the Shaw Brothers really went all out on this one. Ku Feng stars as a Mongolian King who is famous for his great army, and his 13 sons. David Chiang and Ti Lung are his favorite sons. Chen Sing plays a warlord who doesn't like Ku Feng and his sons, at all. I don't really want to give anything away, so I will just say that the story is very well done, and the fight scenes are awesome for 1970. David Chiang looks sloppy, but with all the stuntmen on hand and Tong Gai and the Lau Brothers doing the action, you can expect greatness in a lot of the action scenes. The battle sequences are truly epic. There had to be like 200-300 deaths in this movie. Like I said, David Chiang doesn't look all that good, but luckily Ti lung is on hand and gives an amazing performance. This was one of Ti Lung's first big roles , and he really makes the most out of it. The rest of the cast includes Cliff Lok, Lily Li, Lo Wai, Lau Kong, musclemen Cheng Lui and Bolo Yeung, Bruce Tong, James Nam, Wang Chung, Chin Han... the list goes on and on. David Chiang's last scene of the movie is one you will never forget. The final fight I thought was disappointing with how it was handled, but if they could have made the final fight better then this movie would get a 10 star rating from me.

"I am not scared of anything. I am only afraid of one thing.", 26 April 2009

Wow, I thought I rambled, but Lau Ching wan takes it to another level! His character is so complex, and there's so many things that I pick up on in his performance when I rewatch this movie. I didn't really know how to fit these thoughts into my review, so I thought I would just point it out right away. That quote in the title of the review is classic rambling from Lau Ching Wan's character. I don't know how I didn't get annoyed of his character, but Lau Ching Wan just gives such a great performance. I kept wanting to hear what he had to say, because the more he rambles on, the more violent he gets with his words. Great stuff.

Lau Ching Wan stars as a gangster who just got out of jail, and right away he gets into a fight. After his brawl he decides to stay at a really cheap inn run by a poor widow played by Ruby Wong. They slowly begin a relationship, and I found it well done and touching. Lau Ching Wan's character is over the top with how rude he is, but he does a great job at it. I really found myself liking his character, even though his character is supposed to be almost completely unlikeable. One scene I liked was when Lau Ching Wan literally forces the owner of the inn and her son to go out and have a day of fun with him. It is quite an odd scene. So they go out for the day, and do all types of fun things. For instance Lau Ching Wan shows them what part of a wall he painted while he was in prison. But seriously, there are a lot of good things about this movie. There's one hilarious scene where Lau throws a big fit screaming at the inn owner that his room has been taken. He couldn't have been a bigger baby. She doesn't say a word, politely shows him to his room, and when the door opens, the drunken Lau Ching Wan figures out after a few seconds that he must have been in the wrong room before. Such a great scene. There's some more scenes like that, and that's the main reason the movie is worth watching. Plus you have those great small touches that Johnnie To is known for. Like when the inn owner is cleaning Lau's room, she sees a big pile of money in his drawer, and she shuts the drawer right away. Good scene with good character development for both actors. But then what Johnnie To does is expand on it. About 4 days pass, and she is cleaning his room, and once again sees his drawer open, but this time that big pile of money is nothing but a few bills. Like I said, it's just a small touch.

While this movie isn't that exciting, and it's anything but original, I loved the directing job, the acting, dialogue, the short action scenes, and I found myself laughing outloud at least a few times. Lau Ching Wan + Johnnie To. How can you go wrong with that? You can't. And you also have Lam Suet giving a great performance. This is back when he actually got good roles. Nowadays it seems like he just gets really small roles or cameos in Johnnie To movies. Don't expect a great thriller or something really exciting, just an enjoyable movie.

One of Bolo's best performances, 26 April 2009

This is just an average kung fu movie, except that it is directed by Bolo Yeung and has a dark tone to it. John Chang (the guy who breaks Bruce Lee's back in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story) plays a scholar who keeps getting ridiculed by his students because he can't fight. Bolo plays an outlaw who has come to town to secretly rob some people of their treasures. The story in this movie is very bad but luckily the kung fu is good. Bolo has 3 awesome fight scenes. Bolo is already such a unique fighter because of his awesome movements and the way he doesn't look at his opponent when fighting, and in this movie he fights while playing a flute. It is absolutely jaw-dropping. This may be Bolo's single greatest performance, and it is too bad that the movie itself isn't very good.

Only worth watching for a couple of fights, 26 April 2009

Donnie yen only has a small part in this and Yuen Biao plays the lead. Wu Ma runs a circus and Yuen Biao is his top performer. Because of war going on they have to close the circus. David Lam Wai (co-star of Project A2) plays a clown who becomes a drug addict and ends up getting killed. Now the circus goes to take revenge on drug smugglers.

The movie basically comes down to 2 main fight scenes. Yuen Biao takes on Ken Lo and Donnie Yen fights Bey Logan. The Yuen Biao fight starts out bad but gets a lot better once Ken Lo starts kicking. Then we have Donnie Yen vs. Bey Logan. This is one of the worst fight scenes ever filmed and I kid you not, it is worse than their fight in the Fist of Fury TV series from 2001. I don't think I have ever seen a worse Donnie Yen fight.

Terrible, 26 April 2009

This is one of the worst ripoffs of Hard Boiled I have ever seen. Donnie Yen plays the reckless cop and he is after the man who killed his wife. The story is horrible. The cops travel to the Phillipines to find the killer of one of their informants. When they get there Donnie finds the guy who killed his wife and looks to take revenge. Roy Cheung is always good as a villain and he does a fine job here. The musclebound Frankie Chin plays a henchman, and for some reason Frankie Chin's character just disappears at the end of the movie with no explanation.

The action was a big disappointment. The gunplay is some of the worst I have ever seen and there is only one good fight scene. The fight in the bar is the only one I liked and it is also the hardest fight to see because of the terrible lighting. Or maybe that's just because I have the crappy Videoasia DVD. The final fight is trash. Everything is visible and it is a horrible fight. Some people like the final fight, but I can't figure out why. This movie is highly not recommended.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]