Reviews

30 ReviewsOrdered By: Date
Waterworld (1995)
The critics are idiots (as always)
11 June 2003
'Waterworld' was given an incredibly bad rap by many critics. The only problem is that the film was actually pretty good. Sure, it was corny at times, but nonetheless entertaining.

Kevin Costner and Jeanne Tripplehorn portrayed their characters very well, exuding the sense of hopelessness in a world seemingly without dry land. And yet there is a constant dream undergirding day-to-day life among the "atollers" and the "smokers."

The cinematography was very good, the stunts were very well done, and the overall atmosphere of the film was truly magical. There are certainly worse movies to spend your time with.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Daria (1997–2001)
Hilarious
1 June 2003
'Daria' was a terrific show with some great writing and a great cast overall. Daria's cynical outlook on life was a riot; every show elicited laughs throughout.

I particularly enjoyed the creativity of the show. For instance, I loved how the end credits depicted all of the show's characters in a different light than they actually were portrayed. They would be dressed up in funny costumes and the like - for example, one of my favorites was Daria dressed as a 'Baywatch" lifeguard.

The two made-for-TV Daria movies were also good for some laughs, although the shows themselves proved to be better.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Dentist (1996)
Weird
1 June 2003
Weird... that's about the only word that comes to mind when thinking of 'The Dentist.' All I can say is that I'm glad I hadn't seen this film immediately prior to the semi-annual dental cleanings we get. While this is supposed to be a horror flick, I personally found it to be more of a comedy. Of course, I also consider such idiotic pictures as 'Halloween' and that crop to be comedies as well, so maybe I'm just too cynical to enjoy this type of fare.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dennis Miller Live (1994–2002)
Good show
1 June 2003
We didn't get HBO until a couple of years ago, but since we've had the channel, we've watched Dennis Miller. The guy is sharp as a tack, and a lot of fun to listen to. Sure, he's a little on the pedantic and self-important side, but not to the point that it gets annoying. It was nice to see many of the re-runs that HBO would show throughout the week, and it's a shame that the show was canceled. Of course, I'll take Bill Maher's show over Miller's any day.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bobby's World (1990–1998)
Cute
1 June 2003
This was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid... the adventures Bobby found himself in were always interesting, and the animation was neat in its own way. Certainly one of the better kids shows that have been thrown out over time.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Babes (1990–1991)
A riot!
1 June 2003
I can remember as a little kid watching this very short-lived series. In fact, we had the pilot episode recorded and have watched it several times. 'Babes' centered on three overweight sisters and the various situations they found themselves in. The one show I remember was fall-down funny throughout the entire run, and it's a shame that the show was canceled so quickly. Unfortunately it seems that FOX has an uncanny ability to dump the good shows and keep the ridiculous ones.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Baywatch (1989–2001)
Deceptive
1 June 2003
Okay, sure... we all watched this show for the bodies. I admit that... but I also have to admit that the show itself wasn't too terrible. I can remember enjoying the show's plot and what ensued with the characters as much as the flesh prevalent throughout. For a show to last this long, there had to be at least some modicum of substance in order to keep it afloat (silicone inserts not included!).
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well-done
30 May 2003
The latest in a long line of Hitler film adaptations, this miniseries introduced a more unique slant. It portrays Hitler's rise (as the title suggests) through the ranks of German politics prior to World War II, and certainly lends credence to the fact that evil can flourish merely when good people do nothing.

Robert Carlyle portrayed the title character eerily well, showing just how crazed Hitler actually was. Matthew Modine did a splendid job as one of the sole voices of opposition to Hitler's rise through Germany's government. The rest of the cast, which includes Jena Malone, Julianna Margulies, Liev Shreiber, Stockard Channing, and Peter O'Toole, was top rate as well.

A good miniseries overall, with a surprisingly small viewing audience. Apparently quality television that actually broaches historical topics simply isn't popular anymore... what a shame.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Amazing Race (2001– )
Outstanding, innovative
26 May 2003
Thankfully, a reality show with an innovative idea - 11 teams of 2 racing around the world, trying to win $1 million. The show is quite exciting, and there never seems to be a dull moment. Fortunately, CBS has renewed the show for another couple of seasons, so it appears we'll be able to enjoy a reality show that's actually worth watching.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Alias (2001–2006)
Riveting
26 May 2003
Jennifer Garner is perfectly cast as "Sydney Bristow," a double agent working for the CIA and a rogue group known as SD-6. The show is remarkable in its ability to reveal hairpin plot twists and a constant sense of "whoa!" The remainder of the cast works terrifically well, especially that of Victor Garber as Sydney's father and Ron Rifkin as the apparently evil "Sloane." Perhaps the best character cast is Sydney's mother, beautifully portrayed by Lena Olin. What's more, this woman actually bares a stark resemblance to Jennifer, which is a treat indeed.

Anxiously awaiting the next season!
5 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this