Find your silver lining., 21 November 2012

I am willing to admit that Jennifer Lawrence was the primary reason I went to watch this, for both the acclaim she was getting for her performance, and since she's absolutely gorgeous. Since I have been scouting out some movies for the award season, I would have seen it anyway, but it would not have been nearly as good without her, or without anyone for that matter. This is what perfect casting is in a movie, and it is much more rare than it seems. Bradley Cooper, Shea Wigham and Robert De Niro play a great father and sons with all the dysfunction yet undeniable love for each other. I absolutely loved everything about the movie, and definitely plan on buying it. But for now, I must away and tell everyone to watch this movie.

Long live Rock n' Roll, 29 October 2012

This is what film making is all about. Mr. Crowe has done something amazing with his very personal story, and touched many people with this work of art representing ambition, humanity and the negative results of the music spotlight. It harnesses the subject of sex, drugs, and rock and roll with absolute mastery by telling the story of a young journalist who gets a chance that is nearly impossible to get at the age of 15, even if you are eligible to graduate at the time. His ambitions and talent get him a chance to write an article on one of his favorite bands for a very popular Rock magazine, I'll let you guess which one. In doing this he sees the truth about the band, not just what he's read.

The now star studded cast gives a fully honest and beautiful set of performances, the most noted and celebrated being from Kate Hudson and Frances McDormand. However, the real highlight that goes overlooked is Patrick Fugit in his first lead, and breakthrough role. The fact that his billing is a bit down the list can be a bit misleading to those who haven't seen it, but he really does steal the show from everyone. Kate Hudson shows her free spirit in a very true performance that I still can't help but feel is a bit overrated. Being nominated in the best supporting actress category in basically every award show for 2001, I feel like she had everything she needed except for the substantial character that she was so desperately trying to create. Now I haven't seen the extended "bootleg edition" so i have not seen all there is to see, therefore this is based solely on the theatrical version. Let's also not forget Jason Lee, the usual comedy man who takes a bit of a turn as a disgruntled lead singer who is ironically the one getting overshadowed by the guitarist.

This movie is a new personal favorite of mine, and I definitely plan on buying the extended version when I get the chance. I recommend it to anyone who takes the time to read this as the perfect film embodiment of the 70's rock scene. So watch, enjoy, cherish, and long live rock n' roll!

The best buddy cop movie I've seen in a while, 30 September 2012

***MEGA SPOILERS AHEAD*** This movie is truly a landmark in history, just for its raw force. It's hilarious, suspenseful, and truly tormenting. It's filmed mostly from Brian Taylor's (Jake Gyllenhaal) camera that he's using for a film project, as well as the dash cam in their car. The way they talk to each other is hilarious and true. My best friend and myself are the same way. But it also gets intense by involving you in all the action.

This movie is really a better bromance since Sherlock Holmes (2009.) The part that sticks in my mind however is the ending, essentially the last 20 minutes. They build up the suspense when the cops are tricked into the apartment complex, and when they bust out and run down the isolated alley with dogs barking at them on both sides, not knowing where the cartel are puts you on edge more than any horror movie could possibly even attempt. I personally felt a bit cheated when Zavala dies, and feel it would have been a bit more impacting if they both died together. However I do feel that the last scene where they were in the car talking again was perfect since it showed a last testament to their friendship, and shows how much your day can change in just a few hours. You can go from joking around with your best friend and laughing and having a good time, to running for your life with nothing except a hand gun and your best friend to survive with.

A definite must for anyone who wants a good realistic and emotional movie.

My new official favorite movie, 30 September 2012

For years, "Big Fish" has been my favorite movie. Others have come close, I even had to make a pro and con list when I saw "The Sandlot" again a while back to compare the two. But none have matched Big Fish. I have read the book for Perks of Being a Wallflower years ago, and fell in love with it. Naturally, when the movie was announced I was a bit skeptical but when i Learned Mr. Chbosky, (the author) was writing and directing, I knew It would have to be something special.

I went to the midnight on the night of the 27th to see it after a year of heavy anticipation, and the moment it was over, I didn't even have to think about it, I knew that this was my new favorite movie. It embodied everything about the book perfectly, while only discarding a few things that I'm sure many will agree are fine being left out. The cast is by far the best part of the movie. When I learned Logan Lerman was attached I was annoyed because he didn't seem like someone who could maintain the frailty of Charlie. However, he created the most innocent, awkward, sad and adorable Charlie that i could have imagined. He was absolutely perfect, as were the scene stealing Ezra Miller as Patrick, and the absolutely beautiful Emma Watson as Sam.

I've seen it twice over the weekend, and plan on seeing it many times more, especially to continually re-watch the absolutely epic and nostalgic dance scene between Watson and Miller, (You'll know what I mean when you see it.) So I recommend this to anyone who has or has not read the book, and hope that it consumes your soul like it did mine.

low budget it may be, however..., 15 September 2011

Budget does not affect acting. Well at least it shouldn't. The screenplay for this wasn't bad at all, its kind of like the Field of Dreams of Christianity, in a sense. The format being video, no one can expect a good quality, but if the acting wasn't AWFUL by everyone except for Burghoff, I'd be able to look past it. I can't take the lead actor seriously, I can't take his blasphemous wife seriously, and I definitely couldn't take his friend/co-worker seriously. The kid's, both under the age of 10 did better. If this can be bought, and re-created with good actors and a better format, it can be a great film, but this version isn't. While I applaud the creator, and understand the difficulties in independent filmmaking, I believe that the director was focused too much on his message, and not enough on actually creating a durable movie.

Harry Potter's over. And what a way to go!, 15 July 2011

I was excited to go see this, and went to the midnight premiere. I knew I wouldn't be disappointed judging by the last 3 movies. It ended great, with most of the movie being a battle and destroying horcruxes. All the actors gave the last installment their best, especially Alan Rickman: During the penseive memory sequence toward the end, we actually see the truth behind Snape and Dumbledore, and ironically Snape was Harry's true guardian at Hogwarts. But we learn more about his past and why he resented but also cared so much about Harry. We actually see Rickman get out of his drone and interact with Gambon in these scenes. We get to see his vulnerability.

The biggest issue I have does not lie with this movie: It lies with the whole series. All 8 movies are great, but not very consistent with each other, the reason being the constant change of directors. It makes you wonder how the end would have been if Chris Columbus stayed for all of them, or if David Yates came in early and directed all of them. Fortunately none of the actors were replaced, even the small characters, (with the obvious exception of Dumbledore, which was unavoidable.) although many actors considered leaving which I'm personally grateful that they stayed. It was the only thing really keeping consistency. Of course the major complaint by everyone is all the things cut from the movies, which I'm not a fan of either, but at least it all worked.

The Deathly Hallows Was by far the best of all the movies, because it stayed true to sources while keeping the dark edge that was needed. The first two movies (Sorcerers stone and Chamber of Secrets) stayed true to source but were very childish. It makes sense, since as the characters mature, the movies mature with them, but going from bright and happy straight to dark and ominous in Prisoner of Azkaban...maybe they could have made the transition a little better. Regardless, these last two were fantastic, and the best ending I've seen to any franchise, especially since we get to see more of the characters get involved in the fight.

So definitely worth going to the theater, and definitely worth buying. So as a conclusion-Deathly Hallows 1&2 (since they are basically one long movie) 10/10. The Harry Potter series as a whole-7/10.

Ryan Reynolds couldn't save it, 19 June 2011

While I am not a DC comic fan, growing up reading Marvel, i was still interested in this. I am also a fan of Ryan Reynolds, which was what ultimately convinced me. When i went to watch this, my ultimate comparison was to X-Men: First Class. They seemed to be complete opposite: While X-Men had a great story and characters, the effects lacked greatly for 2011. In Green Lantern, the effects were great, and convincing, yet the story was too quick, and there was little character progression outside of Hal. I was able to understand Hal's character, but no one else.

The part in here that i really liked, actually distracted from what a superhero movie should be. It was less about the action, and more about finding the true power of will to overcome fear. It was more about Hal finding himself, than becoming a hero, even though of course this is what lead him to become the hero that he is. The path to finding will power was perfectly crafted, which helped make up for the weak characters. And of course, as with most super hero movies nowadays, there were the comedy bits that were actually funny.

In the end, it's worth a watch, probably not more than once unless your a big Green Lantern fan. Go to the theater for the full experience, and it's up to you if you want more of it.

Definitely the best X-Men movie., 10 June 2011

First let me point out that I didn't have big expectations for this movie. So far the best comic book movies have been distributed by Marvel Studios, while this is still 20th century fox. When I learned Matthew Vaughn and Brian Singer were heading the project, i knew it would regain what X-Men 3 threw out.

The acting was what made the movie shine. The character development was what really made the film. It definitely made up for the mediocre special effects, which were only so I'm sure due to budget limitations. James McAvoy and Michael Fassabender (Prof. X and Magneto) gave fantastic performances as their characters. You could really feel for all the characters, they all had their importance. Even the teenagers gave great character portrayals.

The characters are all so much more likable in this installment. The professor, Magneto, and especially Mystique seemed so much more interesting. Something I found strange though was that they made many references to the past 3 movies, but there were things that broke the continuity. However, I feel that it is important that they broke the continuity, because it was also done so perfectly. There was also an old character reference that was done in the best possible way it could have been. What this movie should have been is the start of a reboot instead of a prequel, since it was so much better. But overall it's one of the best movies i've seen. Loved it.

more epic than it said it would be, 22 December 2010

I myself don't really like Michael Cera as an actor, but he surprised me here. He stopped being the 17 year old virgin and is actually becoming a character. Sure he still had his dry monotonous humor, but he really made it work here since he mixed it with legitimate acting. Personally i believe that this is the best editing i have ever seen in any movie, ever. All the tech and they way it was put together was so dumb, but it just worked. Edgar Wright found a place among the deitys of film with this movie alone. I won't get into the story since its so amazing that you need to find out for yourself. The basics is that Scott Pilgrim has to defeat 7 evil exes to date his dream girl. All the fight scenes are fantastic, they actually make me fear the super skinny Michael Cera and his shaggy haircut. Definitely my favorite film of the year.

A wonderful story of change of progress, 5 November 2010

I have watched the Toy Story movies my whole life. The first one was my ultimate favorite when i was a kid, and nothing ever spoiled it, not even the extra 15 years of life. When i heard this movie was coming out i didn't get too excited because of the trilogies curse, but when i heard all the great reviews of it being the best trilogy in history, i had to watch it (even though i still wanted to watch it anyway).

The point of this movie is based on how Andy has gotten older and how the toys have to deal with that change. Change is not something easy to deal with, and the fantastic human imagery portrayed in the characters made it that much more real. No one actually thinks about the toys when they give them away or throw them out, and in this we see how they are affected, according to how we think they are at least. The adventure for this is much more mature, and more sinister than most pixar films.

The end was a very impactive scene when the toys were headed for the incinerator. I genuinely thought they would go in because it would have been an interesting end to their adventure, but since it's pixar i knew it wouldn't happen. But how they all joined hands and braced themselves to go out as a family really hit home for me. However, the actual end was beyond fantastic, and the perfect way to end a trilogy. This is literally the only trilogy that i fully love, film for film.