dbhattac

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Sathi Hara (1961)
A very entertaining film., 27 October 2014

Saathi Hara is a very entertaining film with Mala Sinha and Uttam Kumar in lead roles. Mala Sinha as Rupa, a gypsy girl gave a wonderful performance specially her song and dance sequences. It is a love story between two members of a gypsy troop who make living by singing and playing with monkeys and other shows. She was very lively and perfectly matched the character with her free flowing performance. Uttam Kumar as Kundan, her partner also gave a good performance with supporting actors Tarun Kumar and Kajari Guha. The songs are memorable with Hemanta Mukherjee as music director and the songs by Geeta Dutta were wonderful.Overall it a very nice film to enjoy and I gave it a eight out of ten.

Bombay (1995)
A real drama about communal strife in India., 10 May 2013

I myself was a victim of Hindu Muslim riot while living in Dhaka and this film reminded me in vivid details of what happens in real life during a communal riot. The film is a masterpiece in a sense that conflict between and muslims in India is so prevalent and common occurrence and for all these years with hundreds of movies made I have finally found one that dealt with this issue in real terms. The story is about Shekhar Mishra ( Arvind Swamy ) falling in love with Shaila Bano ( Monisha Koirala ) a Muslim girl and eventually marrying her without the blessing of their parents on both sides. They settle in Bombay where Shekhar works as reporter and have twin boys. The story is written in the backdrop of the Auyodha mosque attack during the 1990's and a communal riots breaks out. The director Mani Ratnam has handled the story very well with realistic scenes of the riot with the burning of vehicles and rampant killing on the streets as well as the chaos and confusion of the people and the government. Both Arvind Swamy and Monisha Koirala gave commendable performance in the two leading roles with good support from the others. The music and cinematography is above average. This is a good film to watch . I gave it a nine out of ten.

Sadma (1983)
A masterpiece of a movie, 6 May 2013

This is a classic. The story is so unusual , but also very realistic and magnificently played by both Sridevi and Kamal Hassan. The entire movie is Sridevi and Kamal Hassan,who rescues Nehalata, aka Reshmi from a brothel where she ended up after being injured in an auto accident and losing her memory and adult senses. The script is very nicely written and Balu Mahendra did a spectacular job in presenting the story. The viewer's gets glued to the screen watching the conversation and the events surrounding Sridevi's childlike tantrums and how patiently Shomu ( Kamal Hassan ) tries to maintain his cool and tries to bring her to a normal human being. As we watch the progress of the film, we become very supportive of Shomu and kind of become passionately in love with him for all his acts of help and support for Sridevi. One of the many memorable scenes that touches your heart is where Sridevi while talking with Kamal Hassan, lies down on his lap and slowly falls asleep showing the bond of love that has gradually developed between them. The end of the film is tragic and comes to you has a big surprise as well as a great pain seeing how all that help and support went down and Sridevi even could not recognize Kamal. I give it a ten out of ten.

Suhagan (1986)
Story of a tormented woman with a tragic end., 27 April 2013

Suhaagan is a film about two sisters , where the elder one played by Sridevi leaves her husband (Jeetendra) and their child because he could not provide her with the comforts of modern day world. In their earlier romance there are a couple of songs ( Bappi Lahilri MD) which are average with the usual Jeetendra Sridevi dances. The real story begins when Sridevi leaves Jeetendra and her baby and goes to live with Murli, her preferred boyfriend and the person she wanted to marry. The dialogues describe with great depth, the agony and the torments Janaki ( Sridevi ) went through when she realized that leaving Ramu was a big mistake and she has no way to get back her old life with Ramu and her child. Sridevi showed her usual acting prowess and she really looked beautiful in the death scene. It is social drama with strong emphasis on the Indian culture of women's plight specially when they are married and comes in close contact with anyone other than her husband. The best part of the movie what I liked was that the director made Sridevi emphasize her chastity and pureness and then let her disappear from this world after she knew that Ramu has forgiven her for her mistake of her life. The tragic end of the movie was one of the best part.Good support roles provided by Padmini Kohlapure as the younger sister and Pran and Tanuja as their elderly parents. I gave it a seven out of ten.

A love story with a party of pilgrims on a voyage, 22 April 2013

This is a story about a party of pilgrims on a voyage to worship at the Shiv Sagar temple during the annual festival. With a party consisting of many diverse pilgrims with different objectives to accomplish. In the party there is "Chagan" the small time thief ( Dev Anand ) and Roopa, the dancer ( Waheeda Rehman ) who is going there to perform before the lord shiva before she starts dancing professionally. The story moves pretty well with Chagan and Roopa falling in love which is not approved by her mother. There is one pilgrim who will donate an expensive piece of diamond in the waters in the name of lord shiva but there are a couple of crooks going after the diamond. The film has some very good songs with the music of Shankar Jaikishan. All in all it is entertaining movie with the two popular stars like Dev Anand and Waheeda Rehman. I gave it a seven out of ten.

A classic tale of an Indian woman struggling to establish her identity and respect, 15 April 2013

What a wonderful movie to watch. This is a masterpiece and I cannot describe in words how much I liked this movie. Gouri Shinde has given a superb demonstration of how a good piece of entertainment can be created out of a simple story with a good script. The story revolves around a middle class housewife with a husband, two children and mother-in-law who is an expert in cooking and running a household but deficient in knowledge of English. This causes a tremendous amount of frustration and sadness because her qualities are not recognized by her husband and children and she does get the respect she deserves. The director kept a strong and single focus on the main theme of the story and never allowed any distraction or unnecessary scenes and dialogues. The entire film is Sridevi and she gave a stellar performance as the housewife and the mother of her two children. The first part of the story is based in Pune, India and the second (major) part is based in Manhattan New York where she was invited by her sister to attend her niece's wedding. The scenes and the incidents she faces were so natural that I myself being an immigrant and one time had the very similar experiences. I remember Merv Griffin, the late talk show host asking one of the foreign born actors that what was the most significant thing he noticed in America when he arrived here. The actor ( I forgot the name ) said that "Here they ask too many questions when ordering food". When I saw the scene, where Shashi ( Sridevi ) trying to order a snack and coffee what she had to go through and immediately it came to my mind that how much correct that actor was when he said this. The movie did not have anything beyond normal and practical situations which everyday people faces in New York or USA as a whole. The classroom scene was hilarious with a very subtle message behind. It was nice to see how the entire class consisting of people many different countries came together around Shashi and it was very pleasant see they were enjoying the party where they were invited by Shashi's niece as a surprise. I have seen quite a few of Sridevi's movies but here in this one she demonstrated her acting skills with a superb performance. She is just one of the best actors of Hindi cinema and so refreshing to see her on the screen. If this is her first movie after fifteen years of hiatus, I guarantee she is going to please us with many more magnificent films in the future. The music was excellent and the roles played by other players were commendable. But this movie is all about Sridevi and she has shouldered the whole film by herself. I gave it a 9 out of ten.

Aulad (1987)
Story of two mothers claiming the same child, one who gave birth and the other who raised him, 13 April 2013

Aulad is a story of conflict between the biological mother of child and the person who brought him up giving all the love of a mother but he was not his child. I have seen another movie with Rajendra Kumar and Meena Kumari made in the late fifties with the title "Chirag Kahan Roshni Kahan" with the same story line. In fact I heard one line of the song "Mere Ghore Tik Tik Tik" in Aulad also. Under special circumstances where his wife died suddenly or presumed dead, the father Anand ( Jeetendra ) gives up his child to Yashoda ( Jayaprada ) because his own wife Devki ( Sridevi ) is presumed dead in a train accident and Yashoda's child did not survive the complications during child birth. Both Sridevi and Jayapada give commendable performances as the two mothers claiming the only surviving child who was brought up by Yashoda and was claimed by Devki as her own. Saeed Jaffrey as the uncle of Anand acted well. I have seen him before in Gandhi as Sardar Patel. He definitely looked a lot slimmer than he was in Gandhi, probably because Gandhi told him in the movie to slim down. Jeetendra was fine in the role of the father and also did well with his antics in the first part of the movie which was more of a comedy. The movie turned into serious melodrama after the train accident but moved very well with a very good script. The music was average and so was the cinematography. Sridevi's street dance sequence was very enjoyable and she just excelled in it. If you are a Jeetendra Sridevi pair fan – watch this movie. You will like it. I gave it a seven out of ten.

Jyoti (1981)
A well acted and well directed story of a zamindar family, 12 April 2013

This is a good movie. Very good acting by veterans like Ashok Kumar, Hema Malini, Jeeendra, Shashikala and Ajit. This is the story of a zaminder family led by Ashok Kumar who has two sons played by Vijayendra Ghatge ( Niranjan ) and Jeetendra ( Govind ) Govind is physically handicapped and is constantly abused by the younger brother Niranjan. Jyoti ( Hema Malini ) is the daughter of the village Vaidya ( doctor ) played by Om Shivpuri. Jyoti gets married to Govind at the behest of the zamindar and she takes a strong stand against Niranjan's abuses and also cures Govind from his senility. Hema Malini gave a superb performance as the village girl eventually becoming the wife of the zamindar's son. The movie is very well scripted by Sachin Bhowmick and cinematography and directions are very good. Bappi Lahiri provided some good songs specially the one titled "Angrai leke prem Jawani " and the murja "Thoda rasham lagta hai". There have quite a few movies by the same players during the late 70's and early 80's and this is one is one of the better ones. I gave it a eight out of ten.

Chandni (1989)
A Sridevi classic at the peak of her career., 8 April 2013

A remarkable film with Sridevi as the winner. She is just amazing. This movie showed her acting skills at its paramount. Be it a village belle, a westernized dancing girl, a assertive young women handling opponents as a matured adult, she took the film acting at a different level. This is a movie about three people, Chandni ( Sridevi), Rohit ( Rishi Kapoor ) and Lalit ( Vonod Khanna ) entangled in a triangular love story. Yash Chopra, famous film maker and younger brother of the legendary B.R. Chopra created a masterpiece of a love story surrounding these three human beings. Both Chandni and Rohit's encounter at the beginning of the movie kept us entertained with some good songs and frolics of two young lovers, the story took the turn to more serious situations with Rohits accident and eventual separation from Chandni. Sridevi showed some magnificent dance performance specially the one in white clothing in the open field without any song. That was a super show. The movie has quite a few songs but they were all very well placed in the story and performed very well both in playback and actual playing. Rishi Kapoor showed a lot of enthusiasm and zeal in portraying young Rohit as also Vinod Khanna in his more serious role. Sridevi expressed her self so well in all the different moods specially when she meets Rishi Kapoor at the door of her house first time after their separation, she expressed her surprise and emotions extremely well. It was a special surprise to see Waheeda Rehman as the mother of Vinod Khanna in a very well deserved role. Overall this a great movie of the late eighties Bollywood and it is a must see for all Sridevi fans. I gave it a nine out of ten.

Gharana (1961)
A block buster of a gemini production with some stellar performance by veteran bollywood actors., 25 March 2013

This is a blockbuster. This movie has everything from stellar acting, enchanting music with a very entertaining qawali type song with dance, family feud and some gorgeous acting by Rajendra Kumar, Raaj Kumar, Shubha Khote, Agha and Lalita Power. Lalita Power is amazing – from a banana vendor in Shri 420, a Christian house keeper in Sharada to this cantankerous mother of the house in Gharana , she demonstrated her acting skills to its pinnacle. She was just awesome in her role as the mother of the house and beating up on everyone without any reason or so ever. Asha Parekh as the younger bohu of the house did very well though she did not have a very serious role in the movie. Vijaylakhsmi as the elder bohu was very reserved and did a wonderful job portraying the ideal housewife and taking all the abuse from her mother-in-law, sister-in-law and even her husband but never loosing the faith that every Indian women have in her khandan. The dance sequences were well presented and cinematography was better than average. I gave it a nine out of ten.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]