drew_atreides

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Boyhood (2014/I)
An interesting experiment to be sure, 15 August 2014

Richard Linklater is undeniably one of the most unique voices in film, right now. He seems to always be pushing himself, and i find that admirable. Its amazing to me that the guy who gave us "SCHOOL OF ROCK" is the same guy who gave us "A SCANNER DARKLY".

As a result, i'll always give a movie from this guy a chance. They are always unique, and have something interesting to say.

BOYHOOD is no different. Each segment of the film takes such a fresh and interesting snapshot of the world at the time of its filming. It's really interesting to revisit the early 2000's. It is like a trip down nostalgia lane for the viewer.

I think that is the real strength and revelation of the experiment that is BOYHOOD. You get to relive all of these moments in our recent history filmed in a manner that keeps them fresh because, at the time that they were shot they WERE fresh.

I found the actual characters that we are asked to follow through the trials and tribulations of their lives to be slightly overdone. Ethan Hawke is a charismatic guy, and it is easy to enjoy his performance. The rest of the acting is a mixed bag. That's to be expected, given the nature of using the same actors and actresses at various stages of their development, i think.

Overall a worthwhile and interesting endeavour worth watching once.

Just a rip-roaring good time!, 1 August 2014

With James Gunn at the helm i was expecting something different, quirky and smart.

What i wasn't prepared for was a movie with such heart-felt emotion. You really wind up loving these characters, and rooting for them. They are truly the underdog group that really has no business being at the Marvel party table, but gosh-darnit they are just impertinent enough to crash the party and take it over with style.

The 3D in this was stellar. A lot of movies aren't worth the extra price of a 3D ticket, but this one is definitely worth your time. The 3D is very well-done.

Finally I have to give kudos to the one-liners. There are some great, great one-liners here that are setup well and hit home with authority.

This could very well be the best movie of the Summer. Who would've guessed it?

Continues the surprisingly well-made prequel series!, 11 July 2014

... i have to say i was stunned by how good of a film the original RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES turned out being..

I went into that one with no expectations, and came out quite impressed. I went into Dawn, now, WITH expectations and the film does not disappoint. There is great action, to be sure, but action can't really truly matter without solid storytelling and characters, and that is here in spades.

Its amazing to me how every member of the ape family has a distinct personality. Despite very little speech, you get a real understanding of what motivates these characters, and you become emotionally invested.

There are no good guys or bad guys. You understand the prejudices of both sides, and that makes for great storytelling!

I can't wait for the next entry in this series.

Bravo!

Jenny Slate absolutely shines!, 5 July 2014

I must admit I liked the small glimpse we got of Jenny Slate on SNL, a few years back. It was unfortunate that her run was cut short, but i've always found that whenever she shows up on-screen in any show or film i'm watching i've always liked her..

I was very excited to see her in the lead role of OBVIOUS CHILD, and she doesn't disappoint. She is just so likable and REAL in this film.

OBVIOUS CHILD is a film about life, and the curve balls that are thrown at us along the way. Its about perseverance and understanding that bumps in the road are not the end of all-things, but rather an obstacle that aids us in moving forward and promoting growth in both ourselves as individuals and in the relationships we have with those around us.

It never takes the easy way out, but ultimately is a tale of love and hope.

Strongly recommend it!

Forced, overlong and unlikable, 27 June 2014

I'm normally a Bay apologist. I find entertainment in most of his projects. Heck, i liked PAIN AND GAIN and REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, and i don't find many people willing to fess up to that.

Colour me surprised to find that i hated AGE OF EXTINCTION. Absolutely hated it. There was one single likable character in the movie and they killed him a quarter of the way into the movie.

I never thought i'd see the day where i missed the presence of Megan Fox, but man oh man Nicola Peltz makes Megan Fox look like Meryl Streep.

Jack Reynor's character is unbearably written. He's in a relationship with an underager, and that's his most LIKABLE quality? Geeze. You don't really appreciate the charisma of Shia Laboeuf till you find yourself having to root for THIS guy. I would have been quite happy to see either of the 2 young lovers bite it. In fact it would have made the movie better had they both gone down!

Has Kelsey Grammar EVER shown up in a GOOD movie? I kinda feel bad for the guy, cause he's a solid enough actor but his theatrical choices have been horrid.

I guess the one thing you can usually count on in a BAY movie is some very well-executed action sequences, which is possibly the greatest letdown of this film. The action sequences are just poorly edited together and incoherent. There is one chase down the side of a building where Wahlberg starts at the top, FALLS at least 5 stories, and yet the next shot his him on the 2nd story from the top again. Its amateurish to the extreme!

And Transformium? What? I have never seen a more blatant cash-grab of a movie then this one. It is phoned in all the way down the line.

Hugely disappointing.

Among the best of the X-men movies.., 23 May 2014

...seeing Bryan Singer back here REALLY makes you wonder what kind of movie he might've been able to craft out of X-Men 3..

It is so nice to have him back at the helm of this franchise. In my mind X-Men 2 and X-Men: First Class are neck and neck as the best entries in the franchise, and i'm happy to report that Days of Future Past manages a happy medium between these 2, and propels itself into that same tier.

The film has a pretty tight script for a subject that is so complicated. It handles the back and forth through time quite well.

Above all else it's the cast and characters that make this movie work. Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Hugh Jackman and Jennifer Lawrence carry the majority of the load here, and they are all in fine form.

Of course you have living legends in Ian Mackellen and Patrick Stewart who never disappoint, and finally you've got Peter Dinklage who is another class act, new to this series.

I do miss the musical score from First Class, but otherwise this is an incredibly solid entry in the pantheon of comicbook cinema. Can't wait for the next one!

Godzilla (2014)
Less is more, 22 May 2014

..the flavour of the day with GODZILLA 2014 is that less is more.

Having loved Gareth Edwards' "MONSTERS", i was quite excited when i heard he was helming this new GODZILLA-entry. Tack on the incredible acting names that he pulled (Ken Watanabe, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen, David Strathairn) and i gotta say i expected more then your average Godzilla entry.

And boy did we get it.

I really liked how the Monsters had personality, and really they weren't BAD guys. They just paid us no heed, really, as we are like ants to them. Its all very similar to "MONSTERS" in that regard. They are really just trying to exist in this world.

The action set-pieces were awe-inspiring in their scale. Very exciting, and the build-up to the final fight was incredible.

I really hope Gareth Edwards is involved with the next film in the series. He knows how to bring a rare humanity to giant-monster-scifi!

One of the better Spidey films!, 2 May 2014

Just got back from a matinée showing of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2".

Actually feel like it is an improvement over the first TASM film in many regards.

First off: The 3D is spectacular. They use it to great effect with Spider-Man vaulting through the city. This is one of the few films that I think really should be seen in 3D. There was one scene where some glass fell towards the screen that actually made me flinch and blink!

Next up: Andrew Garfield is tremendous as Spider-man. As much as I liked Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker, Garfield's Spidey just never shuts his mouth and constantly has a wise-crack with 3 more ready to go... THIS is the Spider-man from the comics, and i love him for it.

I'm not the world's biggest Jaime Foxx fan, and i was kinda dreading what the trailers made his Electro look like, but i actually felt he was an effective villain with well-established motivations.

I also really enjoyed Dane DeHaan's Harry Osborne. Really looking forward to seeing the Osborne-Parker rivalry play out in future films.

This movie has a good heart, and some very real emotional punch.

I would list it as the best Spider-man film in the franchise.....2nd only to Raimi's "Spider-Man 2".

Surprisingly good!, 1 May 2014

.. i must admit that X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine had left a real bad taste in my mouth with regards to anything related to this character.

X-Men: First Class was a good step in righting the franchise again, but when i saw there was another Wolverine movie i had zero motivation to check it out.

Found the Blu-Ray on-sale for 10 bucks, however, and being the comic nerd that I am, i finally decided to give it a chance.

Colour me surprised to say I actually quite enjoyed it. It's much less action-oriented and more on the character-driven side, which was refreshing.

Mariko and Yukio were both really well-realized characters. I really enjoyed the by-play and chemistry between Wolverine and Yukio. I was happy to see the setup for them to be adventuring together moving forward. Hope that Mangold and company stick with that.

Good film! Hopefully X-Men: Days of Future Past can build on this and continue the upturn.

It is always fun to spend time with 'The Boys...., 19 April 2014

..just got back from seeing the latest effort from Clattenberg and company..

If you are already a fan of the Trailer Park Boys, then you'll enjoy this flick. It is always fun spending time with these characters..

This movie actually plays out with the feel of a mini-season of the series... You have an overall arc similar to how each season of the show played out.. At the start the boys and the gang are all in one place, and then they have an adventure where, at the end of it all, some folks are in jail while others prosper. I don't want to give too much away, but if the word is true that there will be a new season of the show on NETFLIX, then i think this film does a good job of laying the groundwork for it..

As usual Robb Wells and Mike Smith steal the show.. Wells has some classic Ricky moments and soliloquies, while Smith's Bubbles brings the heart and soul to the show.

Good effort, boys!