olga1403

"You went to church dressed as Prince!", 17 September 2010

If this quote doesn't persuade you to watch Grandma's House hopefully the following will: I found the first two episodes (as a LOT of viewers it turns out) ungainly and not quite what I thought the show would be, maybe because of the Simon Amstell's semi-comedic performance of himself, I'm still not sure. But after a two week break a I watched the third episode and it made double over with laughter a number of times BECAUSE of Simon Amstell's performance and the writing. The show's quirky, uncomfortable and pop culture based - much like all the things that Amstell did before and I loved( and that everyone decided to suddenly hate him for). It's also at times very honest and touching (and surprise surprise even more uncomfortable), with characters that are at once caricatured and hyper real and deliver lines that make you want to quote them the next day. So don't let people's sudden hatred of Simon Amstell discourage you from watching this great bit of British comedy!

A fairy tale with psychedelic backdrops, 4 May 2010

Probably one of the most anticipated movies of the year for me. The trailer really didn't do the movie justice. The story is essentially an adventure/drama (with a few comedy touches) but there's no denying that it's marginally darker than pretty much anything from the Mighty Boosh (if that's what you're expecting). The movie's visuals have pretty much been mentioned in every review, and they're are a very important part of the movie: fantastical, naive, fairytale-like, psychedelic. The movie never really lapses into reality for longer than a few minutes, which really plays into King's style of directing. The lead characters are really charming and believable, but the writing, especially the dialog was really lacking. It's almost impossible not to compare King's writing to Barrat/Fielding's because of the nature of the film and many characters being played by the cast of the show and it really doesn't compare in my opinion. However it's still a really touching and enjoyable film that has some of the most inventive visuals I have ever seen.

Mr. Nobody (2009)
Why are you not watching it RIGHT NOW?, 17 April 2010

There's one thing about this film that makes me overlook the flaws:it's like nothing I've ever seen before. Some people walked out 20 minutes before the movie ended. I can't really explain to myself why ANYONE would do that (it was really tempting to ask but I literally couldn't take my eyes off the screen). It's really pointless to describe the plot because this movie is so much more then any summary could say. This film has so many stylistic, tonal and narrative changes that it seems absolutely mad for the first half hour. It's easily the most unique and worthy cinema experience in the last year, its feels very current. I could go on and on about the things I loved about this film but there's nothing right now that I would recommend seeing more to a person of any age, sex or taste in cinema. It's everything I could ask for in a film:funny, touching, thrilling, surreal, beautiful...

Thirst (2009)
I really WANT to like it, 14 April 2010

I haven't seen any other Park's film besides Oldboy and this one - so I sort of knew what I was in for. I also was really looking forward to seeing a real vampire movie (which i love almost as much as zombie films) since they haven't really been making them (maybe because of all this Twilight business). I really thought it would be interesting and ENTERTAINING to watch. But for me it was so completely indulgent and self-conscious that it almost became funny (i assume it wasn't supposed to be). You can definitely recognize Park's visual and directing strengths (some AWESOME location work) but they in my opinion can't elevate this film to another level. I didn't enjoy myself in the theater at all, it seemed like a very tasteless but the same time very well made film that for me didn't have the kind of energy and adrenaline that made Oldboy work. Sorry Park fans

Guitar as a protagonist, 3 April 2010

I saw this film in a fully packed 100 seat theater, the whole audience stayed through the entire credit sequence (it uses an incredible session of Page, White and Edge as a backdrop). As the credits rolled to the end and the reel ran out (every single person still in their seats) a guy from the back yelled "More!" and everyone cheered. To me thats the ultimate experience of cinema. I have never played guitar, but for an enthusiastic music listener (which I consider myself) it shows different perspectives of artists on the subject of not only the instrument but on music, creativity, etc. I read a review that questions the choice of musicians, but I disagree - all three of them are equally interesting in this film, and really capture almost polar ways of approaching their craft. The film gives a back story to each band and shows the search for their sound. I feel that every picture that takes on the subject of music is practically a suicide mission, because it's something both abstract and has a personal meaning to each listener. At same time I want to know more and don't want the whole experience to be demystified completely, this piece I feel manages a (somewhat flawed) balance. I strongly advise you to watch this, because the music is still amazing and worth the hour and a half, even if you don't like anything else .

Tim Burton's finest, 15 March 2010

I've decided instead of writing a review of Alice in Wonderland, which I've just seen to write something about a far more interesting and less cloying film of Tim Burton - the fantastic Edward Scissorhands. The movie for me is something a fairytale should be, it's a visually amazing story (not taking into account the movie's modest budget) with a character, that I don't think anyone besides Tim Burton could ever create. While the visual style of Burton in my mind always rivals with Gilliams, but the characters he comes up with are just different, at same the time fantastical and very relatable. Depp and Burton work together for the first time - and it's a match made in heaven (at least in this film) Depp gives subtlety and depth to Edward'd character. The script is not amazing (it goes for obvious situations and often easy laughs) - but it's definitely not bad. Tim Burton doesn't really bother writing for other characters, I suppose all his effort went into the main character, who I guess Burton himself relates to the most. They're one-dimensional, practically walking stereotypes. Though the movie is not perfect (and what movie really is?) it's a pleasure to watch, a melancholic fairy tale of a person who doesn't fit in.

Didn't love it as much as i should have, 14 March 2010

Two years in a row films that win the Palme D'or have strong social and political messages. Both Haneke's "White Ribbon" and Cantet's "The Class" chose to deliver the message of how the society influences children and in turn it's future. It seems to me that the judges at Cannes are a bit inclined to give the award not to the better film but to a more important film. While Haneke's effort on "The White Ribbon" is evident: it's visually stunning, the structure of scenes are very much his signature objective style (that doesn't really stir me but i get what he is trying say). The children's performances are amazing, they truly steal the show. Now the problem for me with this film is that it's constantly trying to deliver the messages it's supposed to, it's overpowering and practically smothers every storyline in the film, the cinematic style stresses it again. It's an interesting study in Haneke's favorite subject the nature of violence. But to me it drags a bit more then it should i couldn't for some reason appreciate the slow burner pace, which I know many people loved. But for me it wasn't the best movie of the year, not even my favorite Haneke film. I'm not sure it will stand the test of time and become a classic that everybody predicts it will be.

The one to see, 5 February 2010

I did not expect this movie to be this great, I haven't seen the trailer, didn't really know anything about the movie I was about to see. I fell in love with every possible aspect of this film. The mood of the whole picture was consistent, beautiful, melancholic-the visual style was complimentary to the story, it was stunning in its own way but it didn't overpower the story or the stellar cast. This film is a great debut of Tom Ford as a director, I hope that it's a start of something he plans to commit to doing for a long time to come. I can't stress enough how rare it's to see a new director with a real VISION, whether it appeals to you or not he commits to realizing his vision and thats inspiring.

it's hard not to be engaged by this movie, 10 December 2009

I should start off by saying that i was looking forward to this movie for quite some time, it's a first feature from Jonze since Adaptation which came out SEVEN years ago, the trailer looked promising (and as the budget suggested visually stunning). And since it seems like adaptations of children's books seem to be taking over the film industry one director at a time I felt that its the kind genre that should suit Jonzes style. The movie is beautiful cinematography-wise to me above anything, visual style was what made the biggest impression on me. The character, set design, locations and great photography are core to this movie. It does have some moving moments but quickly backs out of them (i'm inclined to blame it on the editing but I'm guessing Jonze had the final cut). It's an interesting movie definitely worth a trip to the movies but to me it's always on the edge between entertaining and moving not really committing to either. It has LOTS of good moments and some truly spectacular ones but they don't add up to a great movie.

A unique show!, 25 November 2009

This show is probably the best thing on American TV right now, it doesn't try to be in your face unusual but it just is because of its slow burning pace, great offbeat sense of humor, while you won't catch yourself bursting with laughter at cheap humor that many shows rely on, BTD has some of the funniest and most SUBTLE written dialog that seems to be a privilege of British shows. Its a brilliantly written show with characters and story lines that are painfully endearing. And if you like me haven't been entirely convinced in the first episode, please don't give up on it, it's one of those shows that grow on you and you catch yourself watching BTD again and again. It did seem at first as something specifically catered for Brooklyn hipsters, but it gives a great background for the stories and if you live in Brooklyn you'll appreciate glimpses of your neighborhood (especially Williamsburg). All around a funny and pleasant way to spend half an hour!