mountainkath

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Utterly disappointing, 18 September 2010

I watched this documentary to learn more about Myrna Loy because I did not know a lot about her.

After watching this I still don't know a lot about her.

This documentary is almost entirely about her professional life. There are a few personal details and photos at the very beginning but after that only her professional life is discussed.

I enjoyed seeing all of the Loy clips but nothing substantive was ever addressed.

Also, Kathleen Turner is a slightly annoying narrator/host. And her hair was very distracting. It was always changing and was a bit much.

I gave this 5 stars because I love Myrna Loy and there are a lot of clips in this documentary. If (like me) you're looking for a peek at the woman behind the movie star take a pass on this one.

Yes, it's dated, but also quite funny, 3 October 2009

Yes, this movie is dated and yes, it has plot holes and ridiculous moments. But that doesn't matter. When I watch this movie I just go along with it and enjoy each moment.

May Robson, as always, is a delight. She is one of my very favorite supporting actresses and she does not disappoint here. Her funniest moments in this movie aren't even spoken...they are her reactions to all that is going on around her.

Priscilla Lane played the role of a sweet, innocent girl very well. (Random side note: at times her voice reminds me of Ginger Rogers.) The character of Ellen was a tad annoying at times (come on, what do you think Doug wanted to do in that cabin) but for the most part I enjoyed Ellen.

The character of Doug was not well developed at all. I suspect that was intentional since the focus of this movie was on the relationships between the women. I would have liked to see a bit more to Doug, though. All we really know about him is that he's going to Belgium to sell razors.

I did enjoy the side plot of the previous relationship between Ann and Jay. The character of Jay seemed out of place at times, but Roland Young was his usual marvelous self.

Yes, My Darling Daughter is a thoroughly entertaining movie. The subject manner is dated, but the movie kept my attention and even made me laugh out loud more than once.

Tedious and plodding, 20 September 2009

Wow. This documentary was only two hours long, but it felt much longer.

I think the main issue was the uninspired narration. I don't need a flashy voice over for my documentaries, but I do enjoy a narrator who doesn't sound bored out her mind.

I appreciated all of the early footage of Garbo from before she came to America. I had seen some of it before, but a lot of it was new to me.

Once the focus of the documentary turned to Garbo's life in America, I felt the pace slowed down even more. Many of the film clips shown were much too long. Instead of demonstrating a particular point that the narration made, many of them just seemed to be filler.

While this documentary had its good points, for the most part it is much too long and much too dull.

A disappointment, 14 September 2009

This documentary started out promising (showing the auction of items intermingled with when they appeared on film), but quickly went downhill.

I am a classic movie buff and had seen nearly all the footage here before, but that's not the problem.

The documentary just seemed to have a lot of filler, especially near the end. Film clips at times seemed random and much too long.

Don't waste your time on documentary. There are much better ones out there.

IMDb requires 10 lines in a review. I can't even think of enough things to say about this documentary. Yes, it was this bad. I only gave it five stars for the auction footage and the footage of the MGM 25th anniversary lunch.

A fantastic cure for insomnia., 29 August 2009

Wow. This collection of clips was disjointed, not funny at all and edited extremely poorly.

Carole Lombard was only shown in one brief clip. She was an extremely talented comedienne and this film did not do her justice at all.

The Jean Harlow clips shown were adequate and they did show one of her funniest scenes (with Marie Dressler in Dinner At Eight).

Cary Grant was shown only briefly. The man was much funnier than the clips led us to believe.

I could go on and on, but my point would remain the same: don't waste your time on this movie. Not only is it poorly made, it is also insanely boring.

A total clunker, 23 August 2009

I can't believe this movie was only 85 minutes long. It felt much longer.

My dislike of this film is not due to the racist stereotypes or Marion Davies in black-face. I disliked this film because it's just not a good movie.

While the story is an interesting concept, the movie did not pull it off at all. The whole film feels very disjointed and poorly put together.

I usually like Davies, but I could see her acting (and over acting) in Operator 13. She is not convincing as a northern spy.

Gary Cooper did a good job with the material that he was given. He was completely underutilized in this film but that is understandable: this movie was a Marion Davies movie. If Cooper had been given a better part he would have easily overshadowed her.

Operator 13 really tried to be a good movie. It cast good actors as the leads, the costumes were fabulous and the battle scenes were well done. Nothing though, could save the movie from a horrible script.

Absolutely bizarre and melodramatic, but I really enjoyed it., 22 August 2009

I still can't believe I liked this movie as much as I did. It was odd, over the top and at times over acted, but I really enjoyed this movie.

Norma Shearer is the one guilty of over acting at times (especially in her last monologue) but that only added to the bizarre nature of this movie. I always enjoy watching Shearer and this movie was no exception. She was a great beauty and talent and it's a shame she's not more well known today.

Clark Gable gave a solid performance and that spark of greatness to come was definitely evident in this movie. His character's thoughts weren't spoken as often as the other characters, but I think that just enhanced the character of Dr. Darrell. He was a slightly mysterious man (are we to believe he just stayed in the shadow of Sam and Nina's marriage for all of those decades?) and Gable played him perfectly.

While melodramatic, the last scene of the movie really sold the whole film. As I watched Nina be embraced by Charlie it struck me how she was now alone, except for him. I immediately flashed back to the earlier scene where she was with Charlie, Sam and Ned (with Baby Gordon upstairs) and was thinking about how they were all her men. Now, all of them had left her except for Charlie. It was a lovely (yet melodramatic) end to this odd little movie.

Excruciating, 9 August 2009

I was going to rate this film four stars but I gave it five stars because it was only 90 minutes long. That's about the only good thing I have to say about it.

Cary Grant must have owed someone a favor because I have no idea why he made this horrible movie. The plot was beyond silly, it was insanely predictable and the movie seemed to go on forever.

Cary Grant, as always, sold the hell out of his performance as Jerry Flynn. He was the only reason I kept watching this movie. If anyone else had been the star, I would have turned the movie off.

This story would probably have made a cute short film (15 minutes or less), but there was just not enough plot to fill 90 minutes.

I'm a huge fan of Cary Grant, so I'm glad I saw this movie. However, I don't care to ever watch it again.

A thorough look at the King of Hollywood, 1 August 2009

I'm a huge fan of Clark Gable and the only other documentary I've seen about him was simply awful. I'm happy to say that this documentary was much, much better.

There are a lot of clips in this program, but there's also a lot of information about him. I actually learned something new (that he and Grace Kelly had a fling) and saw some footage that I'd never seen before.

I especially enjoyed the interviews with Gable's children. Neither of them knew him and their sense of loss is heartbreaking. I can't say that I 'enjoyed' the footage of Gable's funeral, but I had never seen it before so I found it interesting. One of the most striking things I learned in this documentary is that Gable's widow had him buried next to Carole Lombard. Wow. Now that's an understanding woman.

Is this the definitive story of Clark Gable? No.

However, this documentary is very well done and it tells both the good and the-not-so-good about him. There are also a lot of film clips (from both his well known and not so well known roles) to satisfy both the Gable fan and those who are just beginning to know him.

Adequate, but I wanted more., 1 August 2009

I'm a HUGE Gene Kelly fan and had high hopes for this show. Sadly, I was disappointed.

While the high points of Kelly's career were hit (Singin' In The Rain, An American In Paris, On The Town, Anchors Aweigh), I was hoping to hear him talk about his lesser known movies like It's Always Fair Weather, Brigadoon and Cover Girl.

I did enjoy this interview with him and was hoping for more of Kelly talking and less footage of the movies. It was nice to see the knee slide in On The Town after he had talked about the trouble he had filming it. But, did we really need to see the entire Singin' In The Rain number? I would have loved to have heard him talk about the Moses Supposes number with Donald O'Connor in Singin' and also about The Babbit and The Bromide dance with Fred Astaire in Ziegfeld Follies. The dance on roller skates (from It's Always Fair Weather) was also missing.

I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point. This is a great show for people who are new to Kelly and his work. For his more knowledgeable fans this is an interview worth watching (I especially enjoyed hearing him talk about his early days before he went to Hollywood), but don't expect too much.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]