merylmatt

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Truman (1995) (TV)
Accurate, Great Acting, Lacks Punch, 31 March 2016

Having just finished David McCullough's 900 page book on Truman (this movie is based on the book), I thought I'd check this out.

I'm a fan of Gary Sinise, he does a great job in this role. The movie is accurate to the book and history. Despite the challenges Truman faced, the movie script does not reflect the drama of the times - the decision to drop the A-Bomb, facing the Cold War, rebuilding Europe, the Red Scare are but a few of the things facing the Truman administration. The actors do the best they can, but the screen play comes off as wooden.

It's too bad because Harry was an interesting president during a rough time. Good history not well told.

Margaret (2011/I)
Two Mistakes, 13 May 2015

I made two mistakes - selecting this movie to watch and getting the extended cut, which adds an additional 30 minutes to this already too long movie.

This is a movie that should be shown to all aspiring script writers - as an example of what not to do. The average script is 100-120 minutes making a movie about 90-110 minutes long. Perhaps with a revised, tighter script, this could have been something. Taking away the background dialog in many of the scenes would be helpful. We get it that in NYC, it's loud, there are always noises surrounding you.

The movie does not suffer from a lack of talent, Matt Damon, Mark Ruffo, Allison Janney, Jean Reno to name a few, it's just their skills are wasted in this movie that drags on and on and on and on and on and on - oh, I should write a shorter review? Good idea.

This movie is too long and squanders the talent of its stars. It needs more plot, a clearly defined conflict and resolution. 2 stars for the acting skills cleverly hidden in this movie.

Good Rom-Com, 26 February 2015

Yes, there are silly moments in this film. Expect some clichés and of course the plot is predictable. While not usually a fan of this genre, I enjoyed Wild Targets.

Emily Blunt is sexy, funny and witty, pulls off her character of a con-artist very well.

Bill Nighy is uptight, OCD, understated and funny. Rupert Grint is daft, clueless, naive but still manages to be funny as the third wheel between Emily and Bill.

Great DVD Movie for a couples night out, no graphic violence (there are quite a few murders, but no blood).

Annie Hall Again, 3 June 2014

I can see why so many people raved about Cate Blanchett's performance in this movie. Alex Baldwin (her husband) plays a cheating con man, no stretch for his acting abilities. The male supporting characters reminded me of the guys on Laverne and Shirley, slapstick characters from New Jersey.

To me, this was yet another Woody Allen remake of Annie Hall. A story of a neurotic woman trying to cope with life. Only back in the 70's Annie was funny and fresh. 40 years later, it's not.

The ending, which I'll not reveal to give away potential spoilers was a complete let down and showed no creativity whatsoever. 5 stars for Cate.

Gravity (2013)
Entertaining Visuals, 5 March 2014

On the plus side, a lot of excellent special effects and scenes in this movie. Bullock does a very good job with a somewhat limiting script/dialogue, but creates tension & terror when needed.

Clooney is Clooney. A charmer, surface deep, wise-cracking character.

There are images that make you think of Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, 2001 Space Oddessy and the very end scene which really was bad.

***Spoiler alert*** Bullock emerges from a pond and crawls to the beach - really? Hit the audience on the head with that allusion of rebirth and a second chance.

There are "liberties" taken with the physics involved, to a purist that would be bothersome, but for the average viewer such as me, I can deal with that. It's good for 90 minutes of entertainment.

Good, Solid Entertainment, 5 March 2014

Based on truth, pirates off the Somalian coast hijack cargo ships and hold ships captive for insurance money. Sad, but true - it still happens now, it is often cheaper (in money) for the ships to pay the Ransom than sail out of the way. The owners of the ships, crews and pirates all know this creating a very dangerous environment.

Tom Hanks plays the captain of such a ship. A normal guy trying to fight off young kids who are given AK-47's and a few pennies for their efforts. Since the merchant men are unarmed, it's an unfair battle, but Cpt Phillips uses his wits and what few resources he has to save his crew and ship.

I found the movie to be balanced - it presents all sides of the problem; the crew who are put at risk, the Capitan and even the pirates. The ending is rips your heart out. Hanks really did an excellent job there.

Hope God Forgives Director,Cast & Writers, 4 March 2014

There are only 2 reasons I watched this film until the end. To see if the ending was as bad as the rest of the movie (it's worse, if possible) and to review the whole movie fairly.

Wooden acting, lousy script writing. Predictable and tired plot. No suspense.

Ryan Gosling runs a fight club which is really a front for drug operation. Possible spoilers: His brother gets killed, Ryan does not avenge the death and mommy flies in from the states to set things right. Only she doesn't. It gets worse and worse and finally it ends.

Nothing redeeming about this one.

Does Not Stand Test of Time, 15 November 2012

The original Italian job is supposed to be campier & funny than the remake. I know some of this is British humor, which tends to be more dry, but I did not chuckle or laugh at all.

The plot was good but poorly executed. Cheesy sound effects at the Turin Motor Vehicle control room to help the audience "get" the fact the computer is messed up? Perhaps.

The British mobster behind bars but running the prison was too heavy handed.

The ending was horrible. I won't give it away.

I prefer the remake.

Apollo 18 (2011)
Aliens meets Blair Witch Project, 14 April 2012

Forgot all of the plot holes in this - there is no sound in space, the astronauts are walking, not bouncing on the moon, the astronauts loose their cool, the temperature on the moon is always cold & the space suit would automatically adjust, how did they get the film back to earth? I can deal with goofs in exchange for a good thriller.

If you're not a fan of the hand held camera technique, which I think is a cover-up for poor plot, skip this movie.

The primary reason to skip the movie is that it is dull, slow, the ending is predictable, no surprise and worse, the 'monsters' ***SPOILER ALERT***** are crabs. In a low budget movie such as this, I did not expect some ground breaking new super bad cool alien, but a crab?

Bad to the Bone, 31 December 2011

Thank heaven I saw this on cable & did not pay for it. Holy smokes, this was predictable, already done, clichéd.

**Spoiler Alerts**the character played by Oliva Wilde is an alien - it is so heavily foreshadowed, it clunks you on the head. She's there because the bad aliens killed all of her species & she wants to stop them (Uh, Star Trek, the Borg?) Speaking of foreshadowing, whatya think happens when Harrison Ford gives the boy his knife - gosh, is the kid gonna become a man when he kills an alien? You betcha! Native American guide is able to unite cowboys and Indians to fight together against the aliens. Together, they dodge, out run and out smart the aliens who have laser blasters. Since movies like this need a sacrificial victim, the guide gives his life to say everyone else.

The alien weakness? They don't see so good in the day time (Predator, anyone?).

Oh, and a LSD like trance induced by the witch doctor helps Daniel Craig remember where he got the killing bracelet and what happened to his wife that will lead to save the day.

The climatic attack on the alien spaceship frees the hostages and everyone is able to outrun a spaceship blowing up.

Cowboys Vs Aliens deserves to be on a short list of worst movies ever, but won't become a cult classic like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or Planet X.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]