domino1003

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

The Dark Secret of Agent Lewis, 24 June 2016

Marcia Gay Harden's character arc through the "SVU" episodes, starting with "Raw" comes to an earth shattering conclusion in this episode.

Agent Lewis is back because of a serial rapist/killer bound in a wheelchair (Harold Perrineau in a wheelchair AGAIN?), tying to get a confession from him about a young girl's murder from years ago. But it looks like Olivia and Co. find out that Lewis has some serious skeletons in the closet.

And the more the crew digs, the more secrets about Dana's past come back to haunt her. And it's a HUGE secret that's exhumed that just threw me off guard.

Olivia sums it up for all of us: Dana was an FBI agent that buried herself in her job to avoid her past. And she wasn't wrong.

A very powerful episode from start to finish. And the end is painful as hell.

Marcia Gay Harden As "Star' Blows You Away, 24 June 2016

This episode of "Law and Order:SVU" shows how deep racism poisons society in such an incredibly scary way that there are times that I often wonder if we as a human race will ever accept tolerance in any way, shape or form.

The episode also starts a story arc with Marcia Gay Harden's FBI agent Dana Lewis. Two particular scenes with her stand out: When we first see her, she's a woman named "Star", who's a member of a White Supremacy group that maybe behind the shootings. The look on Munch's face when she makes a very racist comment on his race was so incredibly hateful that you thought that he would lose his cool, even after she slaps him.

The 2nd is in the infamous shoot-out, which still awes me to this day. You don't see it coming, and it's so brutal and chilling as violence spews through the courtroom...and the shocker of 'Star's' true identity came completely out of the blue.

I loved how her story arc would continue through a few more episodes through the series, including the heartbreaking 'Secrets Exhumed" episode (And pretty much every case Elliot would end up getting hurt or shot being around her, like a jinx). A deep and emotional episode with a huge bunch of crazy twists.

One of my Top 10 Favorite "Criminal Intent" episodes. Goren does his thing!, 12 October 2015

Watching Vincent D'Onofrio do his thing as Detective Goren is what kept me glued to the series from start to finish, although Season 9 is the season that infuriated me so much that I stopped until they brought the character back for its 10th and final season. Of all the episodes, "Jones" is one of my personal favorites that is on the top 10 on my list, having it on my DVD shelf.

"Jones" has Griffin Dunne as a sleazy lawyer with some series issues: substance abuser, compulsive gambler, and serial womanizer who wouldn't hesitate bumping off his various women when they threaten to let his wife know what he's doing. It doesn't help that his wife is pretty much in a state of denial, popping pills to keep her in that state. Goren and Eames do their thing to let the truth come out.

My favorite scene is when Eames is used as bait during the interrogation scene with Talbot (Dunne).And then Goren breaks him down, talking about his "shortcomings," which really pushes Talbot over the edge. BRILLIANT! Goren did his thing, and it was a cool ride to be on. No matter how many times I've watched this episode, I just love re-winding over and over again when Talbot realized that his wife had been watching him putting the moves on Eames and that his game is up. LOVE IT!

The Dark Side of Martin Short, 11 October 2015

The "Law And Order" franchise has a long history of casting actors against type. Stephen Colbert, Neil Patrick Harris, and even Tom Arnold in "Law and Order: Criminal Intent" showed how great a dramatic range they were capable of. However, my all time favorite cast-against- type is truly Martin Short in this SVU episode.

As Sebastian Ballentine he has his usual comedic edge that audiences who are familiar with his early work in "SNL," "The Three Amigos," and his other roles. But the more you get to know Ballentine, the more you realize how truly horrifying Short's performance is.

When he tells Stabler about his "virgin" obsession, you can see the darkness in him. And it was the first time that I saw Martin Short become a truly dark character. He can't stop his compulsion and I wondered how much further he would have went. He can't stop it, and it's scary that it would have never ended if the SVU team hadn't stopped him.

Kudos to the cast as usual, especially Chris Meloni's Elliot, who takes a huge dislike to Ballentine. But it's Short that really showed the world that he can "do dark".

The Shaft (2001)
Surprisingly Scary and Funny, 11 November 2010

"Down", (A.K.A. The Shaft) was both funny and scary,and a delightful surprise. I caught this movie completely by accident on TV and it had me glued from the first few minutes. So glued that I ended up buying a copy less than a day later. It's THAT good. In a way it was a throwback to the 80's with cheesy dialog, characters, and implausible situations.

Good old New York City has a very nice building called The Millennium Building, one of the most impressive views of the city and killer elevators...LITERALLY. Seems that these elevators have more than your typical "exceeds maximum weight" problems. This elevator does some VERY NASTY THINGS. How nasty? Very very VERY NASTY THINGS.

Without revealing too much, my favorite scene had to do with Edward Herrmann, having just seen something so disturbing that he's crawling on his hands and knees. As he's doing this, a young lady is walking by, not tripping on this, says hi to him before SHE sees what he saw.

Or was it the skateboarder? Or the pregnant women? Or the bad acting, script and direction? It's just a hoot to watch! It's bad and good, like a big piece of chocolate mousse pie in front a person on a diet. You know you shouldn't bite into it, but you can't help it.

Naomi Watts (Before "The Ring" pulled her up a bit), Michael Ironside (And what is it with him and elevators? Remember him as Richter in "Total Recall?"), and even Ron Perlman (I would love to have a boss like him!)walk through this land of cheese and pretty much survive this experience.

This is a good film to watch on a Saturday night, with beer and pizza. Enjoy a big hunk of cheese.

District 9 (2009)
Sci-Fi as Social Commentary, 23 July 2010

"District 9" is more than a sci-fi film with aliens, good guys/bad guys, and lots and lots of guns and violence. It's a film that deals with the issue of race and illegal aliens and how they are treated.

In this case, the illegal aliens traveled a LONG way to get here.

As the film opens (which has a documentary/reality show feel to it), a spaceship is floating over South Africa (Johannesburg to be more specific)and has been in that position for over 20 years. The aliens that arrive are forced to live in inhumane (pardon the pun, but you get the point) conditions in an area called "District 9." No one particularly wants them there and they treat the aliens with contempt and horrific violence. Gangsters take over the area and use the aliens' love of cat food to make life even worse for them.

Into the picture arrives Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley), a geeky official that pretty much got the job because his Father-in-Law is head of the corporation known as Multi-National United (MNU). Wikus is in charge of relocating the aliens to District 10 (Another "settlement" area)and is doing his best to look macho and give a presence of strong authority (and is not doing a good job of it, from the looks of things). As he's trying to do his job, he gets a dose of some funky looking liquid. Once the liquid hits his skin, life as he knows it changes. He slowly starts to change into an alien and he soon goes on the run after MNU decides to use him to unlock the secrets of the alien weaponry (humans can't use it, only the aliens).

"District 9" is Sci-Fi as Social Commentary. A corporation that will do anything (including sacrificing their own)to dominate and control. Aliens forced to live in shantytowns (references to South Africa's history with apartheid)and subjected to intolerance. Wikus sees this through (literally) new eyes, and he changes. He becomes stronger for it, and it makes for an interesting ride toward the conclusion of the film.

I loved the film, and the film takes a misstep or 2 (the alien gun issue is my sticking point). It's worth a look.

Up (2009)
"Up" took my breath away!, 13 June 2010

Pixar has had the magic touch ever since "Toy Story" was first released in 1995. Since then each film has made it's mark in cinematic history, each having a different feel and style, but leaving a lasting impression in a movie-viewer's heart and soul. "Up" is no exception. I laughed and cried (A LOT of crying, I'll admit)as I watched this incredibly heartwarming story.

Carl(Ed Asner)lives alone after his wife of many years has died. Forced to give up his home and move into a retirement community, he decides to run away...and take his house with him. His goal: To reach Paradise Falls in South America, where he and his late wife had always plan to go (And both their childhood dreams). With the help of a LOT of balloons, and the unwanted assistance of Russell, who is trying to get his badge, Carl gets to South America. He also discovers that Charles Muntz (Wickedly played by Christopher Plummer), a disgraced explorer from Carl's childhood is trying to capture a rare bird that will bring him fame and restore his damaged reputation. With the use of his talking dogs, Muntz will stop at nothing to reach his goal.

"Up," only the 2nd animated film to be honored with an Academy Award nomination ("Beauty and The Beast," another film that made me cry was the first)is a wonderful work of art. The animation style has changed since Pixar brought "Toy Story" to life. It's more realistic than the previous films that they have made. And as I said, it has a wonderful, magical story to it. Who hasn't wished that they can make a childhood wish come true once childhood has slipped away? It's great for all ages (Some parts make spook the little ones), and another Pixar classic. And I am not afraid to admit that I sat and cried all through the ending credits.

Star Trek (2009)
Roddenberry's Vision in Another Guy's Hands, 7 June 2010

A part of me resisted watching JJ Abrams's take on Gene Roddenberry's classic series. Being a fan since I was a kid, you get used to seeing William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and Co. saving the universe. To me, seeing the series in someone else's hands seemed wrong.

After watching the movie, I was glad that I was wrong. In a way, it is a tribute to Roddenberry and the show. Many die-hard fans may stay away, but it should be given a chance.

I had to admit that the special effects, music and plot were fantastic, but it was Nimoy's role as Spock that put a lump in my throat, especially when he meets his younger self (Zachary Quinto, which give Spock a deep edge).

All I can say is to give this film a chance.

Great 3D, Poor Story, 7 September 2009

"The Final Destination" film has 1 thing going for it, and that is the spectacular 3D effects in the film. I will admit that there was a few times when I reached out to grab objects that I know wasn't there, but you just can't help it.

The storyline about a group of friends and strangers escaping from a horrific racetrack accident, only to be picked off 1 by 1 by Death is pretty weak. Some of the deaths were pretty weak compared to the other Final Destination entries (The death of the racist), but others were graphic (The vision of the race track accident with the 3D effects had me jumping a lot).

The opening credits which recreated deaths from the 3 other films was pretty good, and the slight twist at the ending was interesting, but otherwise the film itself was the weakest of the entries. If this is indeed the very last of the series, it's a good thing they pulled the plug the way they did.

That Interesting British Wit, 20 September 2008

I grew up watching "Casino Royale," and have grown to love the lunacy that this film shows. Seems that there's a REAL James Bond (David Niven), who is a leisurely gentleman enjoying his retirement. But representatives from international spy agencies wants him out of retirement when spies are being killed around the world. At this point, things get incredibly silly. Soon there are multiple Bonds, including baccarat expert Evelyn Tremble (Peter Sellers), who plays a mean game against Le Chiffre (Magic obsessed Orson Wells).

The film is a frenzied mix. It seems to be multiple stories in the film, with David Niven being the common link. The film has 5 directors and multiple writers on the script (or scripts). Plot lines seem to not exist at some points. There are the Bond Beauties, including Ursula Andress. Her scenes with Peter Sellers (Especially "The Look of Love" scene)are wonderful.

The humor is dated, and some references may go over people's heads, but it's still a wonderful bit of insanity.

Page 1 of 29:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]