johnmschofield

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

An absolutely cracking spectacle, 21 February 2013

All I knew about this film was that Quentin Tarantino had directed it and I hoped that it would be reasonably entertaining. I should not doubt the man's ability to produce the goods almost all of the time and in my opinion this film falls into the very good category. My friend and I noticed it was 165 minutes in length and we were initially a little concerned but as it turned out we did not need to be, in that we were both riveted for the entire film. Be warned there is a lot of violent parts and brutal torture scenes but we have both been to several of the plantations around New Orleans and read up on what happened at most of them and based on the knowledge we gleaned quite frankly if anything the graphic scenes are toned down a lot. It has an 18 rating for good reason not that the violence is gratuitous in my opinion. I personally think the film could have been improved if it had been longer but apart from that what is included is extremely entertaining. My friend and I ran the gamut of emotions throughout this creation and in our experience that usually means a cracking spectacle. The scene very near the end of the film involving Jamie Foxx, two servants and the 'lady' of the house had us both in stitches. To see why you will need to watch it for yourselves and we both highly recommend that you do as soon as possible. You will not be disappointed.

Really enjoyable romp, 11 February 2013

I had not read any of the books or watched any of the films before so this was a voyage of discovery and at the end of the nearly three hours I was captivated by this film. I didn't fully understand all that was portrayed but I will gladly watch it again to fill in any gaps. It felt like a classy film but then again I am a Lord of the Rings or films associated with the Rings virgin so I can only go by what I saw in this film. I would recommend anyone watch this film because in my opinion it engulfs you early and you are transported into it, that is always a good sign in my case. I cared about the characters and was riveted to the screen following the storyline. My friend was equally impressed by this film and she is very hard to impress and remarked at the end that there was still a long way to go to the obvious destination therefore there could be one possibly two more films covering that part of the journey. Anyway we enjoyed it and we both look forward to the next instalment whenever it is made.

Lincoln (2012)
Wonderful trailer, shame about the film., 11 February 2013

I was at the cinema with a friend of mine watching another film and we saw the trailer for this film and decided that it was worth watching on the basis solely of the content of the trailer. In retrospect that was not one of our better decisions. My friend kept nodding off during Lincoln and decided to leave at least an hour before the ending and do some shopping. I managed to stick it out and watch it through to the end probably because I wanted my monies worth. In my and certainly my friends opinion the trailer left us with completely the wrong idea about the content of this film. Neither of us are naive, biased or have the attention span of a goldfish but the film just didn't do it for us although the one and only good aspect for me was the performance of Daniel Day Lewis. If anybody wishes to watch this film please do not make your decision based purely on the trailer or you maybe very disappointed like us

The Sting (1973)
This film is OK but it could have been a great film, 12 August 2011

This film ultimately disappointed me because the hype surrounding it when it was released was phenomenal in its positivity. I did like the look of the film when I eventually saw it and the storyline was OK but the film overall didn't grab me in the way that I thought it would and unfortunately my attention was wandering at times. All the good elements were there in order to produce a classic which wouldn't age with time but sadly the film for me never worked that well at the time and since I have watched it recently I have not altered my opinion. I do not know why it doesn't work for me all I can say is that it just doesn't tick enough boxes. I would suggest anybody watch it because it could just be me who doesn't see its worth.

Indy and Spielberg at there best, 11 August 2011

I watch this film on a regular basis and in my case its in my own top 100 films. There is something magical about this film which I probably cannot adequately describe but suffice to say that it is for me just over two hours of first rate entertainment. I like the Indiana Jones films and I suppose its the feeling I get when I lose myself in a film that much that its almost imperative that I watch it all from start to finish. Repeat viewings are as if I am seeing it for the first time and that for me is a rarity. There are numerous films out there which purport to be really excellent entertainment which unfortunately do not measure up. In the long term the classy films will eventually rise to the top and if anybody takes a look at the IMDb All time top 250 the evidence is there for all to see. The Last Crusade is greater than the sum of its parts and therefore for me ranks as one of those films that will never lose its appeal. Its 22 years since it was created and it still as fresh and vibrant as it was in 1989. I would highly recommend this film to anyone and just settle down and enjoy.

40 years on this film is still funny, poignant and tragic all at the same time, 10 August 2011

I saw this film for the first time on TV in the seventies and have never seen it at the cinema but based on my experience of watching it on the small screen I would recommend it to anyone. In my opinion its not the best film ever made but its well worth its current position of 152 in the IMDb all time chart. I laughed when I saw this film at the first viewing and I have got to say that I still laugh whenever I see the film although not quite as much. Of course there is more to this film than just the laughs and the film has a good feeling about it and by that I mean that it seems to have been created with a good deal of care and the professionals involved all seem to have done their part. In many ways it was a film like the Sting which was of its time but doesn't really compare favourably to the really great films before or after it was made. That said and after all its only my opinion its well worth watching and is almost two hours of good entertainment.

Ben-Hur (1959)
A beautiful classy epic which will shine for ever, 3 April 2010

I recall watching this film for the first time at least forty years ago and I was really impressed with the action and the sheer scale of this epic. I was however not as awestruck as I was when I watched it again some twenty years later. I do not know why I appreciated it more when I was older perhaps I was little more mature and or maybe I recognised the subtleties amongst the action. I am not a religious person although I did appreciate the sensitivity and care in the way that it was set out on the screen and for me like everything else in this film the attention to detail seemed meticulous. Anyway I do regard this creation as a wonderful classic whose beacon will always shine for me. Yes the film is long just short of four hours but quite frankly if the quality had been the same say for an additional two hours then I would have appreciated it just the same. I am not that bright when it comes to analysing a film but I know what I like and this film will always tick the boxes. For me this film feels right from second one and it simply oozes quality from every frame. I sometimes do this as part of a review when I thank the cast and crew for their time and professionalism in creating a masterpiece. I do this in this review because I genuinely feel that this film could not be made now. The chariot race is breathtaking and in my opinion even the most modern of technologies could not recreate it appropriately and therefore the mere fact that this was filmed over fifty years ago is a testament to the astonishing quality of the cast and crew's efforts. The whole is most definitely a lot larger than the sum of its parts and I have no hesitation in recommending this film to anyone. Please allocate enough time to watch it all the way through because for me there would nothing more frustrating than to have leave it part of the way through. In my opinion that would not be the end of the world but maybe spoil the enjoyment a little. Enjoy a true epic in every sense of the word.

I will always regard this film as one of my favourites, 9 March 2010

A film buff friend of mine recommended this film to me some years ago and his opinion is generally quite sound. This is the sort of film that I could watch every week and still find it superb entertainment. The film is an absolute barrel of fun throughout and the cast and crew together with the Coen brothers have produced a masterpiece. When the Monty Python experience came along in the late 1960's my dad and I used to watch it together. I was almost always helpless with laughter whereas my dad had various expressions on his face from bewilderment to boredom and suffice to say he never did not see the funny side of Python. This is another instance where he would probably be watching this film with a stony face unable or unwilling to grasp what would be so funny to me. Yes there is violence and sexual content but in my opinion it is all in context and not gratuitous but thats just my two cents. Like in a lot of other comedy films you either like them or not and I suspect that there are quite a number of people out there who just cant tune into the humour. I am fortunate in that I can tune in and apart from anything else this film stands on its own and not just a comedic exercise but as a fun story with a reasonable plot told in an unique way. I would highly recommend anyone watch this film because in my opinion there is so much to like and hopefully if you tune in you will not be disappointed

This is one good film and I will always enjoy watching it, 9 March 2010

I have read quite a lot about where there are references to other films in this film and I have got say I wasn't really looking for them and considering I am not that knowledgeable about film styles generally I never would see them. I just know what I like and this ticks all the boxes. I was captivated by this creation from second one and thoroughly enjoyed the two hours. This is one of those films that in my opinion just oozes class. Yes there is a lot of violence in it and I suppose it is a matter of opinion whether it is gratuitous or not but the lady in question is not happy and with the skill and determination to carry out her plan she merely regards the next challenger as minutiae. Like everybody else on the planet she must have her limitations but thankfully other than being tired she doesn't seem to show any. I don't look for hidden meanings or messages I am not that bright or indeed interested. I have seen various films with less violence in them which I have not liked for all sorts of reasons mostly they are simply not very well made. Therefore I can simply say that for me the violence is in context with the storyline and because it is clear that the cast and crew have given a high level of care and attention to its content I consider it to be a very good film. I would say that this film will not be to everybody's taste but I do recommend any adult watch it because in my opinion it is classy production.

This film didn't do it for me in the Seventies and thirty years later it still doesn't, 4 March 2010

I didn't like this film much when I watched it for the first time and I have to be honest and say that I have watched a few times since and it hasn't improved with age. It is not a bad film but then again it is not a good film either. For me the film is stitched together like a modern day Frankenstein and does not work on any level save one. It works reasonably well as an anti war propaganda creation but then I have seen better. The cast and crew must have been professional enough to work on this job and probably tried their best to produce a really classy film. Unfortunately the end result is not good. On more than one occasion I fell asleep while watching the film and not only during the extended wedding footage. The film just doesn't do it for me and I doubt it ever will. If I was on a podium my message would be that war disrupts everything, is completely and utterly pointless, millions of people die or are maimed for life and then those who are left have to rebuild again and the poor are still poor; the tragic consequences are the poor have probably lost what little they had and the well off survive like they always have throughout history. Whether I am wrong or right doesn't matter but if I was speaking for too long the message loses its power and this film is far too long and self indulgent and by the end I was glad it had finished. I have no doubt that my comments will be waved away as some loony person from across the pond but like I have said before its only my 'two cents' opinion and opinion is all. I would however recommend anyone watch this film just make sure you have legal stimulants available or have someone you know well keep you awake.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]