born-to-blossom

Good, but not great, 28 October 2008

I'm personally a big fan of Dylan Moran. His stand-up makes me laugh, I enjoy the movies he's been in, and I like his couldn't-be-arsed exterior. Overall, I think he's a pretty cool guy.

But, for me, this movie was a bit of a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I did get a couple of giggles out of it, but I felt like it could have been better. It was fairly good, but it could have been excellent if it had been worked on a bit more, teased out a little.

The opening and the introduction to the characters was sloppy, which took the edge off for me (call me old-fashioned, but I like to know who everyone is before launching into all the plot twists and whodunits). Also, the tone at the beginning is constantly changing from funny to serious, which leaves the audience unsure of how to react when the various characters start getting offed. Should we be upset? Laughing? Afraid?

So, I thought A Film With Me In It was a good film. It just needed a little tightening and trimming of the fat. Then, it could be perfect.