dtander-1

Sabotage (2014)
A challenging movie, but a hacked up trainwreck in the end., 15 August 2014

I was excited to see this movie, but it was never released to theatres in Canada. This only made it more intriguing to me, and I snapped it up when it arrived On Demand cable. To say it is gory, violent and extremely 'dark' is barely scratching the surface. It invites strong reactions, both positive and negative I've enjoyed many of these actors in other movies, and in most cases, they displayed some remarkably different characters in Sabotage. Arnie as a manipulative good guy-turned criminal mastermind? Sam Worthington as a grungy hardcase named Monster? Olivia Williams as a hard-nosed detective? Mireille Enos, who always seemed drab and dour in other roles, was _outstanding_ as the profane, sexy and crazy/violent Lizzie.

Reading the IMDb trivia, I see that the end product of this movie is something far removed from the filmmakers' original intent. I can believe that with no difficulty. It has the feeling of being massively edited and altered...the story seems sketchy and the characters poorly developed. I can understand many of the negative comments, and maybe I'm seeing too much of what's not there...but I was glad to see this film. With luck, there will be a director's cut edition available on Blu-Ray that lets us see it as the creators intended.

Not your usual action-thriller-romance..., 12 March 2013

I really liked this movie. The way the plot gradually revealed itself, along with the slowly developing relationship of the lead characters makes a pleasant change from the usual Hollywood formula. I can understand why some people had difficulty with it for that reason, and the many noir-ish, art-house touches that made it interesting to watch for me, may have seemed irrelevant and pointless to the typical action thriller fan. It's nice to see a movie that respects the intelligence of its audience. Good acting throughout...Colin Farrell has had some bad luck with roles and movie choices, but I've always found him to be a solid performer. This may be the first time I've ever really liked Noomi Rapace...the delicacy and desperation of the damaged Beatrice, on many levels, was well-drawn and sympathetic. I found the movie's ending a little pat, but it fit well enough. Maybe I'm too old and cynical.

Absolute crap, 14 September 2012

I really liked the first ResEvil movie, and I've been going along with them ever since, but this is the end of the line for me. This movie was a total waste of time and money. There's no plot, just a situation that Alice has to fight her way out of. There are some good stunts but nothing we haven't seen before. Most of the action is just ridiculous...bad guys that don't die, guns that don't run out of ammo, characters that can be interchangeably good or evil at the whim of the scriptwriter. It's like a five-year-old playing with toy soldiers. The actors are so wooden, and look so plastic that I honestly couldn't tell if they were CGI creations or actual human beings.

Milla and her husband should be ashamed of themselves.

Transparency (2010/I)
For a low-budget movie, not at all bad., 13 May 2012

Despite its obvious low budget, and some weak writing, I thought this was a pretty good movie. The plot is a little contrived and some character development could have been handled better but overall I found it worth my time to watch. If anything, I'm impressed the movie did so much with so little.

Lou Diamond Phillips is a solid performer, and I didn't find much to criticize even with the supporting and bit players. It wasn't as highly charged as the typical Hollywood effort (I'm thinking of TAKEN here...a movie with a vaguely similar theme and plot) but instead it had a more documentary feel that contributed to my willingness to overlook some plot holes.

Great action and effects, but mainly for the fans...like me., 20 January 2012

The summary says it...this movie is all about the action and effects and pounding sound track...and Kate Beckinsale, not that there's anything wrong with that. However it merely dips its toe into the world of Underworld, and has less actual story than a typical TV episode. I enjoyed it a lot, but if you aren't a fan of the earlier movies you likely won't. If you're not familiar but are intrigued anyway, view the first two movies on home video.

One more thing...I saw this one on IMAX 3D and while the 3D didn't add much, it didn't take away much either...the screen image was bright and clear despite the dark sets.