dukeb0y

Nobody will like this review..., 11 July 2015

Now, I like Polanski's movies. But this movie saw SLOW as molasses. Now, the sets, costumes, all look great. The filming, the accents felt like England at that time. The feel of London, the ages where children roamed the streets and stole food, because they had nothing. But as we watched it, I just thought it was WAY to slow.

It showed a good look at the rich and the poor at the time. And justice, there was none for the children, really, and I'm sure that's the way it was.

People, the harlots, just trying to eek out a living.

Two stars for the sets and costumes. But slow.....

Choppy, and way too long., 20 May 2015

I went into this movie with high hopes. Glad I had a DVD to fast forward.

Spoilers spoilers spoilers.... OK, the crops are dying and we have a new dust bowl, so far, so good. But it went on and on. (and on and on....and on and on) And as another reviewer pointed out, we have this secret underground NASA base just a stones throw from where his farm is. Uh Huh. OK, So, gee, he 'wanders in'..and will leave the next day on the hidden spaceship to save the world!

I buy that, don't you?

Now, it did have a GREAT idea, as we go through the wormhole, we 'could' pop out at a different time. Forward in time , and 'MAYBE' backward. OK, this could get interesting, could they pop out BEFORE the dust bowl and return to earth? (and save the world?)

Nope.

But they do find the other astronauts who went out before them, but I won't give that part away. Land on a few planets.

And the robot, at first, I thought, what a CHEAP looking robot, but I took a liking to it. 'He' actually saves the day. His name is TARS. Kind of liked him.

I gave it one star to balance out those 9 stars.

The Cartwright boys are out for blood!, 6 June 2014

Well, this was quite a "who done it". I was pleasantly surprised. Basically, a much more serious tone to this story.. The boys think their dad is killed by a poacher. And they go off a looking for them.

But along the way, three men released from prison get the blame.

But, is one of them the supposed killer? And a poacher? Watch and find out!

James Doohan and James Best in supporting roles.

I'm not a big Bonanza watcher, but this episode is very very good. If Bonanza ever gets redone, I hope the stories are this good.

Ten stars.

Interesting, to a degree., 12 February 2014

Only three stars. First, a glaring mistake. When the map of April 1943 is shown to President Roosevelt, is clearly shows Vichy France. Which no longer existed after November 1942. A similar map is used in 1944. Doesn't anyone check a history book?

I will agree, this movie is interesting, but poorly structured. For example, we have no clue as to how the extra soldiers were ordered to help the 'Monuments Men'(MM). The MM find a mine loaded with art, then suddenly, 100s of men and trucks show up to retrieve it. And yet earlier, a MM, could not even get two extra soldier as guards to go with him.

As far as the sets and equipment, it gets a passing grade. The Kubelwagen was a nice touch.

Three stars, that's it.

Overall, very good Sci-Fi...spoilers!, 26 September 2011

Well, I saw this tonight for the first time. I'm not an avid TV watcher. The plot is simple, our earth is polluted. We have found a time warp/fracture and we can send folks way back into time to start over.

So the premise is good. I can see Irwin Allen liking this!

Now, they settle on a farm/settlement, it's fenced in, to protect from the dinosaurs. Some are friendly vegetarian dino's and some are meat eating, tail whipping, angry dino's.

Naturally, the kids don't obey the adults and sneak outside the perimeter....you can guess what happens....

We have a faction of folks who got there earlier, and have their own settlement, the Sixes (got there on the sixth transfer back in time). They are the baddies.

That's a short summary, now for my thoughts...the main actor, Jason O'Mara does fine acting, he's the main lead. Some of the style is like the recent Battlestar Galactica and the plot developed quickly. Good story build up, and we get to learn about the sub-plots, and the characters, their lives. Sometimes it's too short and to the point. Maybe that's a good thing.

The sets and graphics are nice, very nice for a TV production. The camera shakes a bit too much, with the action scenes. Quality writing and acting will make this a very good show, I hope they keep it up, Overall, a solid 8, even a 10, compared to most TV today.

Excellent Sci-fi drama, with the right amount of action and build up., 18 July 2011

Were do I start? This is what Lost In Space could have been. I agree with other reviews, the background of the people and plot is well done. We get a feel of what is going on, but no predictability, like so many movies.

The only copy I know of, is the DVD one, that looks like a poor VHS tape. I sure would like to see the original.

Here is what makes this...GOOD. I sat down to watch this with some friends and kids, they thought it was really good. (They know I love the old show!)

So, a 'might have been' sitting in a WB vault somewhere. Production value is good, overall. I didn't car for the new robot, but everything else, including the new Jupiter II, looks great.

Planet of the Apes (2001) (VG)
A very good game with a GREAT story, 4 May 2010

Well, I can't believe the low rating for this game. It was one of the last games fully developed for PS1. Over 1000 lines of dialog.

Graphics are good for a PS1 game. Not up to todays standards, but very good for a PS1.

I have played it several times, and my daughter too.

The storyline is different from the movies but a mix of the original book, and the 1968 movie.

Lot's of exploring to do.

I HIGHLY recommend this game. You can get it for $5 -$10 on eBay. John the Sci-Fi fan.

One of the best 'Time Travel' episodes, 10 March 2010

I won't give much away, but this is one of my favorite episodes.

Voyager, due to a Temporal space anomaly, that is man made, flies WAY back to 1996 L.A. Great street scenes. Tuvok says "I don't think they would have noticed if we were in our uniforms". Something to that effect.

This is where the Dr. gets his portable "Holomitter". From the past? watch and find out!

Great performance by Sarah Silverman, Ed Begley, and the regular cast of Voyager.

Considering the TV budget, it's EXCELLENT quality, including early CGI.

I gave it 9 stars, great Science fiction!

Overall, not what a captain would do., 19 January 2010

I'm a big fan of Voyager. I just signed up for NETFLIX, and I will watch the whole series, star to finish.

OK, NOTE SPOILERS!!!!

Voyager see a cloud, and goes to investigate. I understand that, to EXPLORE. It's human nature. But at some point, military training MUST take over. After all, it'a captains' DUTY to protect his or her ship. Voyager enters the 'cloud' and gets trapped, and blasts it's way out. 14 crewmen hurt. The 'cloud' is a living thing, and hurt by the Voyager entering it.

So what's JANEWAY going to do? Goes back in to HEAL the 'cloud'.

First of all, I don't think any captain would risk casualties, or the whole ship, to heal the 'cloud'.

Second, in TOS, there was always another opinion (Balance of Terror, for example), where Capt'n Kirk would ask for other view, like any good commander.

I'm sure if Capt'n Janeway asked for thoughts about going back into the 'cloud' someone would have said "You nuts for risking the ship".

Like the Dodo bird, Janeway should have sailed off, and not worried about the 'cloud'.

Excellent Battle Scenes, 6 April 2009

The summary is: Army doctor and driver abandon ambulance during battle. Naturally, Sgt. Saunders (Vic Morrow) riding in the ambulance gets them all back. As the driver makes excuses, he calls him an outright liar.

Very strong words for a TV show, in this setting.

As they rest in a village, the bombing starts, and the battle scenes are as good as 'Saving Private Ryan' only much shorter. Very realistic setting.

Some Germans come along, and Saunders waits and shoots kills four. So now the doctor is wondering how can a man kill so easily, while doing all he can to rescue one man in an ambulance.

The doctor and driver both redeem themselves, but I won't give that away.