samuelmiller

Better action than Matrix, but loss of T story..., 2 July 2003

A few have already said this, but I'll say it again anyway... It would have been better with James Cameron. The acting was not up to par, and the overall aura of the film lacked from the feel of T1 & T2. I'll say now that I did like it very much, but not nearly as much as the first two.

There are some things that just don't make sense, but there were those in the first 2 as well. Whenever you deal with time travel you are going to have some holes in the plot. I wasn't bothered by "when or why" the Terminators were sent back. I was bothered, however, by John Conner talking to Arnold and seemingly unaware that it was not the same Arnold from T2. I mean, doesn't he remember the Arnold from T2 was destroyed? Conner was there and saw him die, I would have thought it'd make an impact. The new Conner just seems dumb. This brings me to say that Stahl is no Furlong--maybe for the better in real life, but not in the movie.

The action scenes were indeed amazing. I saw Matrix 2 last week, and unfortunately had to sit through near 20 minutes of men jumping all over cars and trucks on the freeway. The chase scene in T3 is short and sweet and originally well done. There is some humor in the film, which is nice. The acting, as I said earlier, could have been better--especially when compared to the first two with Linda Hamilton. It was a shame she wasn't in this one. I assume they just couldn't get her to do it.

The female terminator was okay. And I have no problem with Claire Danes, aside from the fact that the more new people in the film, the less like "Terminator" it feels.

I won't spoil anything here, but if you've seen the movie you'll know what I mean: There is certainly space for a T4, and it certainly could be great--but only if Cameron have more say in this film. Otherwise, it should be under a different name.

I'll sum it up by saying that T3 is a great action flick, but it lacks the sci-fi feel of like the other 2 (especially the first, did). However, it would have been nice to end the series at T2, or get Cameron and the original cast to make a movie more similar to the first two. It's turning more into a ridiculous action film--don't get me wrong, good action--but lacking story...

Memento (2000)
Not as good as I'd hoped., 13 October 2002

I'd heard a lot of great things about this film before going out to rent it. But once I did, I must say I was not extremely thrilled with it as the rest of the world seems to be.

It is a brilliant and creative idea of how to make a movie (backward revealing of pieces of the story with every new scene) but unless I missed something, I believe that this is all this film had to offer. The acting was good, the story was good, the movie was good... but I do not believe it should be rated the number 1 best indie film and number 10 best film of all time. (As it is on IMDB while I write this review)

I think it simply receives a lot of praise because it is a movie made in a way that no one has ever seen before. A friend even told me that he thought it was an amazing movie--though he didn't quite totally understand it. Maybe it is appealing because it is confusing and people view it as a "smart" film because they can't quite follow totally what it going on and they have to watch it over and over again. Either way, I believe it has received much more acclaim than it deserves. It has certainly won many awards for great editing and original screenplays, etc--which it has. But a movie of the year--or of all time as some IMDB users are rating it--I totally disagree.

Finally, It is indeed totally original in the way a story is told and presented, but it is certainly not the greatest movie of all time. I was disappointed overall with this film. I do not believe it is a must-see.

I could film an entire movie by attaching a camera to a dogs back and having him film the action, then playing it on the big screen mirrored and upside-down during some scenes. That would certainly be an original idea never seen by movie-goers before, but that doesn't mean it should be voted into a group with The Godfather or Citizen Kane.

I'm not saying Memento is like watching an upside-down film from a dog's point of view... But I'm saying it's up there with the Godfather for reasons that it should NOT be.