Almost as Fun as First Neighbors, 19 May 2016

Two years later, audiences will get to catch-up on married couple Kelly and Mac Radner (played by Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen) along with infant daughter Stella (Elise & Zoey Vargas) now a toddler. After clearing- out an extremely disruptive fraternity house next door in "Neighbors", "Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising" presents the couple with the same problem, only with all female protagonists who are a college Sorority.

Neighbors 2 opens with the couple now living quietly with an empty house next door (once inhabited by Delta Psi Beta). The Radners are in the process of closing the final sell on their home as the buyers enter a 30-day escrow. That means, the buyers may pull-out of finalizing the sell if they should find something wrong with the house (you can probably already see where this is going).

Neighbors 2′ updates us with characters Teddy who is finding it difficult to move beyond working at Abrecombie & Fitch due to his criminal record gained from harassing the Radners, Scoonie, now a successful inventor, and Pete who has some unexpected news of his own.

The alignment of various unfortunate events that include a sorority rule that prohibits them from partying, three disgruntled pledges who set out to start their own sorority calling it "Kappa Nu" bypassing the anti-sorority party law, and their encounter with Delta Psi's Teddy (Zac Efron) combined with the available house for sell next to the Radners all lead to the upheaval that threatens the successful completion of their escrow.

Feeling down on his luck with a new whirlwind of events in his life, Teddy is compelled to start-up war again with the Radners and lends himself to Kappa Nu as a mentor, until their ungrateful behavior moves him to join the Radners in the war.

There were some very funny moments in Neighbors 2′. However, what was missing was the creative and slew of unexpected pranks that the characters were constantly one-uping each other with in the first one.

The meat of the story in Neighbors 2′ is focused on a battle of not only the neighbors, but also, a battle of the sexes. By the last act, everyone comes to the conclusion of what the bigger picture is and the importance of doing the right thing no matter what the Radner's undesirable consequences may be.

Full Review at: HollywoodJunketdotcom

Death and Celebs in The West - Not A Winning Combo!, 2 June 2014

Written by: Myles Warden for Hollywood Junket

Disease. Gun Fight. Snake Bite. Bar Fight. These are just some of the ways Seth MacFarlene uses to execute in his newest film A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST.

A Million Ways To Die In The West is a comedy that is directed by, written by, and stars Seth MacFarlene. Or, as every advertisement would like to remind us "THE GUY WHO BROUGHT US TED!" He also gets some help from his "Ted" writing partners Alec Sulkin and Wellessley Wild and some very famous costars, as some equally famous cameos by Ewan McGregor, Gilbert Gottfried, Christopher Lloyd, Dennis Haskins.

Besides the subplot of all the ways to die in the west the movie is about Seth's character Albert, a terrible and courage-less sheep farmer, who loses his girlfriend Louise, played by Amanda Seyfried, by withdrawing from a gun fight and attempts to get her back by making her jealous with his new to town friend Anna (Charlize Theron). Of course he falls in love with this new girl and eventually discovers she's married to the baddest man in the west which leads to trouble.

One thing's for sure Seth knows how to pull in the A-list talent and if you've ever seen Family Guy or Ted you know he loves a good random cameo as well. This movie is no exception with Liam Neeson playing Anna's husband Clinch (the best shooter in the west), Giovanni Ribisi as Albert's virgin best friend Edward, Sarah Silverman as Albert's prostitute girlfriend Ruth, Neil Patrick Harris as Louise's new rich beau Foy, and a slew of surprise cameos. It's definitely an embarrassment of riches of talent for any director so the question is does Seth make the most of his riches or does he die trying? The answer is - kind of. Allow me to explain. There were a ton of extremely hilarious moments such as the musical number with Neil Patrick Harris' character Foy, numerous interactions between Ruth and Edward, and of course each surprise cameo packed a great punch, Christopher Lloyds' Emmett "Doc" Brown from "Back to the Future" movies included. On the other hand there were a ton of scenes that lasted too long or entire acts, which is the case with the final act of the movie. There were also a few deaths that just had zero funny in them.

You can't really drag out the ending to a movie when everyone knows how it will play out and we're just kind of waiting to get there and hoping for laughs along the way. Every scene did serve a purpose but if that purpose doesn't also make you laugh in a comedy then it's null and void. With that said there were simply too many scenes where that was the case.

There were some magical moments where everything clicked. One of the best examples is the annual county fair. Here we get a few hilarious and random deaths and our first interaction between Albert, his ex Louise, his new friend Anna, and Louise's new boyfriend Foy. This scene shows everyone's personality perfectly and also sets up the path for the rest of the film. We also get to hear Neal Patrick Harris say "challenge accepted" and get a very funny cameo from a 90's TV principal.

I will also say the cast did a splendid job and were perfect for the roles they were cast in. Seth even managed to pull off some emotional moments very well. Too bad the acting just couldn't make this as great as TED (assuming you loved TED like I did) and it falls short too often. Not a complete loss but not a movie you'll want to watch twice.

MORE at:

Neighbors (2014/I)
Zac Efron Brings the Party to Neighbors!, 9 May 2014

Written by: Myles Warden for Hollywood Junket

NEIGHBORS is an original comedy (which doesn't happen too often these days) written by Andrew Jay Cohen and Brendan O'Brien. The movie stars Seth Rogen as Mac Radner, a recently married man with a newborn, and Zac Efron as Teddy Sanders who is the president of the fraternity that just moved next door.

Mac Radner and his wife Kelly (played by Rose Byrne) have just settled in to their newly acquired home, which that have spent "ALL" of their money on, with their newborn child when Teddy and his frat move next door and turn the neighborhood upside down. If you've just had a little baby girl the last thing you want her doing is growing up next door to a frat house full of partying, horny, and shirtless boys but unfortunately that is the situation Mac and Kelly have been placed in. As if sleep weren't hard enough to come by with a newborn throw in a 24 hour party next door and you can forget about ever sleeping again. After Mac's attempt at peace by befriending the frat fails Mac spends the rest of the movie trying to get the frat to move, kicked out of the neighborhood, or arrested while Teddy tries to make Mac and Kelly's life a living hell.

Mac and Kelly are a textbook case of not yet ready to grow-up and embrace their thirty-something ages.   Faced with the major life-shift of raising a baby gives them a rude-awakening and strong contrast of what their lives once were by the reminder of the young college kids that moved next door.   After complaining about the noise one night, Teddy (Zach Efron) and the fraternity vice-president Pete (played by Dave Franco - yes, brother of James Franco) decide to try to win them over on their side - as they have with all of the neighbors, by inviting them into the party.  The "old people" (Mac and Kelly) gladly accept.   However, the very next night, the couple break a promise that they made to Teddy, and this is when an all-out war between the neighbors start.  That's where the movie gets very interesting and even cartoonishly funny during some key scenes.  You'll know which ones they are.

Honestly I wasn't sure if this premise could hold up for 90 minutes without being extremely repetitive but I'm amazed at how the writers were able to pull it off using some very sound logic. I'm sure veteran director Nicholas Stoller (The Five Year Engagement, Get Him To The Greek, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, etc) aided in this as well. Every time you would say to yourself "well why don't they just do "this" that's exactly what the couple would try or think and it wouldn't work. For that I take my hat off.

Not to give all credit to the supporting cast, and even though Seth Rogen was the great Seth everyone loves, I must say the best performance belongs to Zac Efron in what is one of his best leading performance yet. I feel the role provided him an opportunity to show us sides of him we haven't seen (except in glimpse in Grown Ups 2) but worked as he'd been doing these type of characters for a decade. You can tell when an actor genuinely enjoys what he's doing and Zac had fun bringing the party to college and to the movie. Hopefully he'll do more comedies in this lane.

Full review and more at:

Keeping Four Women Happy, Impossible!, 1 May 2014

A Hollywood press movie screening is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get. In this case you are getting a guy's review of a chick flick and that is just the beginning. While waiting for the movie to start guess who sits next to me? None other than Mario Lopez.

I explained to Mario that I was supposed to be seeing this movie with my wife however she was held up on set and it was now up to me to watch this movie and write a review. Mario expressed his sympathy for me, since he too had to watch the same chick flick, well at least I have some company now.

Even before the movie started the drama began (wait isn't this a comedy?) with someone down near the front being thrown out by security! As well as a myriad of strange projection problems apparently the popcorn isn't the only thing theaters can't get right nowadays (thanks AMC).

So what's this movie about anyway? Directed by Nick Cassavetes, THE OTHER WOMAN summed-up in a nutshell - After discovering her boyfriend is married, Carly soon meets the wife he's been cheating on. And when yet another affair is discovered, all three women team up to plot mutual revenge on the three-timing SOB. Sounds interesting right? let's get into character shall we!

In present day New York City we meet Mark King played by Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau (is that the king slayer? YES) this character is the kind of guy who drives a $300,000.00 Aston Martin (don't scratch that paint!) and has an eye for the ladies, oh yeah and he is married too.

Carly Whitten played by Cameron Diaz is a successful professional woman spending her days hard at work in her office and her nights hard at work on Mark King. At this point Carly does not know that Mark is married.

When Carly show's up at Marks house one night dressed as a provocative "plumber", guess who answers the door? I'll give you a hint it's not Mark and it's not the "house keeper" either! Yes, it's his wife Kate (Leslie Mann).

Kate feels betrayed by Mark and wants revenge, but wants Carly's help. Not until Kate finds out that Mark has a second girl friend Amber played by Kate Upton, that Carly agrees to help Kate.

So if two girls friend weren't bad enough a third must be the extent of Mark's mistress mischief right? Wrong! it get even weirder, more bizarrely diabolical and then the revenge part actually starts.

THE OTHER WOMAN is like a modern day 9 to 5 (Dolly Parton movie) on overtime. Yes it's true this is most definitely a chick flick with strong over tones of insane farce, Much of the story line straddles the borderline of what some women may have experienced in "the dating world" coupled with outlandish situations that could not possibly occur in real life to anyone.

Full review and MORE reviews at:

Everything made up of bricks isn't always rock solid!, 30 April 2014

- Written by: Myles Warden for Hollywood Junket

Everything made up of bricks isn't always rock solid. "Brick Mansions" proves that. The action film starring the late Paul Walker is a remake of the 2004 French film "District 13". In it Paul Walker plays Officer Damien Collier from Detroit. It's a few years into the future and things have got even worse for inner city Detroit. I'm talking from "I got shot" bad to "I got shot and there's no hospitals" bad.

The government has decided to build walls around this area to keep people from going in and out and then to save money also decided to stop funding the basics such as hospitals, police, schools, etc. The poor area now known as Brick Mansions is basically being ran by a major drug dealer named Tremaine Alexander whose played by RZA (of the world famous Wu Tang Clan...More on that later). This guy is basically the wealthy king of a drug infested and broke down castle. His only opponent is a good (yet extremely tough) guy named Lino Dupree (David Belle) who is hell bent on stopping Tremaine and keeping drugs out of his neighborhood. This street smart and talented fighter is played by David Belle who actually starred in the original French film as well.

The good part of this film like most action films is indeed... You guessed it. THE ACTION. You can tell Paul Walker put forth 110% into nailing these brilliant and jaw dropping Parkour and Brazilian jiu jitsu moves. This style of movement and fighting is new to American audiences and Paul Walker was proud to introduce us to it in the best way possible. Having one of the eight founders, creators of the Parkour movement in Belle, helped tremendously and although he was retired from action films before this you could not tell at all. The 40-year-old moved around in this movie like a 20 year old Jackie Chan.

The bad part of this movie was the dialogue. Terrible and cliché dialogue ruined so many scenes for me. The dialogue was so over the top during a very pivotal part of the movie Tremaine, played by RZA (Wu-Tang Clan), emphatically states "Where I'm from cash rules everything around me." You don't have to be a huge Wu-Tang fan to get that reference from one of their most famous songs 'C.R.E.A.M." which stands for Cash Rules Everything Around Me. This quote and many others caused the entire audience to groan and chuckle during moments that were meant to be intense.

The movie wasn't all bad though besides the action sequences it actually had a decent story foundation. The characters had great motives and back stories. There were even a couple good plot twists that were woven into the story seamlessly yet somehow it all just didn't add up to a great film. Also, I love a happy ending more than most but something about this ending was almost "too happy." Full review and MORE reviews at:

Kick-Ass 2 (2013)
The Superhero Next Door!, 16 August 2013

he last time we saw Kick-Ass he struggled to answer the question: "What is a superhero?" He teetered on wanting to be the good guy who does the right thing, but also not cross the line. Big Daddy and Hit Girl, on the other hand, had the masks, the money, and the martial arts. They killed people freely if it meant getting the job done. So, though Kick-Ass was technically the first real-life superhero, most viewers would consider Big Daddy and Hit Girl the real deal. Now, the sequel delves a little deeper and asks, "What does it mean to be a superhero in the real world? Are you a civilian disguised as a hero or a hero disguised as a civilian?"

In the sequel, Mindy or "Hit Girl" played by Chole Grace Moretz and Dave, a.k.a. "Kick-Ass" portrayed by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, practically swap places. Rather than Dave trying to get the girl and come into his own during high school, he's out in the streets beating people with his batons. Then, Mindy, who was able to kill multiple men each night without giving a single thought, finds herself being bested by a new kind of evil: the mean girls of high school.

Kick-Ass 2 definitely packs a punch – both in humor and in battles. The flick follows a new group of superheroes, including a few of the originals, and their attempt to make the comic-book world a reality. Expect super villains and their evil lairs, homemade gadgets, a city in distress, and poignant family moments, a la Peter Parker and Uncle Ben.

But despite following these traditional patterns, these vigilantes turned superheroes have to discover that, unlike comic books, real world crime fighting comes with real world consequences. This time, it isn't just evil drug lords getting maimed and killed, but some of the good guys as well, giving the movie a slightly darker tone.

While some sequels fail to live up to the original installment, Kick-Ass 2 holds it's own and is really quite enjoyable giving it's viewers a little bit of everything: some laugh out loud comedy, emotional dialogue, self-discovery, puppy love, and of course, some kick ass fighting scenes.

* Be sure to stay for a scene after the closing credits are done! Kick-Ass 2 opens in theaters on Friday, August 16, 2013.

Movie review by: Shyla Watson /

Smurfnapping in Paris!, 1 August 2013

Those adorable Smurfs are back on the big-screen in the sequel to the 2011 blockbuster hit. They are as appealing today as they were when first introduced on television in 1981. Their contagious, cheerful energy draws you in and the optimism they possess throughout permeates the screen while trying to conquer the evil, Grinch-like Gargamel.

Gargamel still has an appeal that viewers love to hate. His somewhat likable bad guy continues to be the central character. In "the Smurfs 2, directed by Raja Gosnell who also directed "The Smurfs", and "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" Gargamel (Hank Azaria) is now a famous sorcerer living in Paris. His shows are always sold out and he has everything one always wanting more. He creates a couple of characters from a lump of clay (like Smurfette) called The Naughties Vexy (voiced by Christina Ricci) and Hackus (J.B. Smoove), hoping to harness the magical Smurf essence so he can rule the world. He runs into a problem as his Naughties do not possess what he needs. Gargamel finds out that Smurfette (Katy Perry) is the only one who knows the secret of the essence, so, he sets out to have her kidnapped.

In Smurf Village, Smurfette has the feeling of not quite fitting in with the rest of the Smurfs because she was created by Gargamel. Papa Smurf made her a true blue Smurf. Katy Perry said, "In a way, it' like she's becoming a teenager, asking all the same kind of questions we all go through when we come of age. She's really trying to figure out if she's a real Smurf." Gargamel kidnaps her on the eve of her birthday. With Smurfette missing, Papa Smurf (Jonathan Winters, in his final performance) along with a few other Smurfs, decides to take matters into his own hands. Smurfette forms a bond with the Naughties who are like her brother and sister. When Papa Smurf attempts to rescue her, it's a question if she wants to be or not. There is more here than meets the eye as a secret is revealed which could affect the entire Smurf community.

This was a pleasant, funny, sweet, sometimes serious movie. I really enjoyed it. The Smurfs are adorable, the Naughties are cute, but the real surprise is Gargamel. Hank Azaria's work as the evil sorcerer was quite funny and very convincing. He brought forth a different kind of energy and it worked. Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, and Brendan Gleeson go through the motions but do not stand out.

The movie works because it doesn't connect only with children, but for adults as well. If you're looking for a fun summer movie, and are tired of Minions, go see The Smurfs 2 with the family.

"The Smurfs 2" opens in theaters July 31, 2013

- Written by: Michael Eisenberg /

There's Dark Comedy in Those Muscles!, 27 April 2013

"I believe in fitness" are the words muscle head Daniel Lugo (Mark Wahlberg) says in the opening scene of "Pain and Gain" that shows his back story of how he one day decided to make his life better. "Pain and Gain" is a movie based on the true story of Lugo and his pals – a steroid using gym goer, and a pumped-up convict, who commit extortion and murder in their efforts to pursue the American dream.

The incidents happen in Miami, Florida. A place Lugo describes as "God's waiting room" due to the vast amounts of Senior Citizen residents. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness are all rights that the crew of Lugo, Paul Doyle (Dwayne Johnson), Adrian Doorbal (Anthony Mackie) attempt to take away from their tagged victim, millionaire Victor Kershaw (Tony Shalhoub) after Lugo is inspired by motivational speaker Johnny Wu (Ken Jeong). "Don't be a don'ter! Do be a doer!" Johnny Wu exclaimed. Lugo responds "I'm a doer! I'm a doer! I'm a doer!" Thus, goes on to kidnap Victor to have him sign away all of his assets and money to him. An effort which takes an agonizing (but comical) thirty days.

Taking place from October 1994 to June 1995, "Pain and Gain" depicts each of the characters who become involved in the kidnapping of Victor back stories as told by themselves in narration. Lugo recites in his own telling of the story with narration throughout the film in sort of a "Goodfellas" type of way – bouncing from different times in the past, he introduces the re-telling of it with "unfortunately, this is a true story." Lugo explains how he left the gym where he was a personal trainer at, and went to a barely functioning one called "Sun Gym" which catered to senior citizens. His promises to gym owner John Merse (Rob Corddry) to triple the gym's memberships in three months is enough for Merse to overlook his criminal past and hire him on the spot.

Lugo truly believes in his own philosophy that ultimately gets him into trouble – "If you're willing to do the work, you can have anything." "Pain and Gain" fully tells the stories in good time (2 hours, 10 minutes) of what seems to be a story of absurdness and chaos that seems too unreal to be true. Which is perfect when Paul Doyle is doing his best to erase a spoiler to a crime they commit in a very unconventional way, a pop-up reminds the audience "This is still a true story." Loose story-lines are wrapped-up at the end with courtesy notes of where these real people are now along with their photos.

21 & Over (2013)
OMG moments had audiences rolling!, 27 April 2013

Twas the night before his big medical school interview, when young Jeff Chang (Justin Chon) was surprised by his two best friends from high school, Miller (Miles Teller) and Casey (Skylar Astin), who both have made special trips just to celebrates Jeff's 21st birthday. Sounds nice right? But this is no ordinary story of friendship, writers Jon Lucas and Scott Moore made sure Jeff Chang would end up with a "HANGOVER" of epic proportions worthy of it's own movie.

Dr. Chang (François Chau) Jeff's dad is also in town visiting Jeff to make sure everything goes smoothly for the interview he has arranged for his son. Despite Dr. Chang's final warning to Jeff that he must not be late and definitely not to embarrass him, Miller and Casey manage to convince Jeff to go out for just one drink.

One drink turns in to two, then three and more, and relate-able situations take a turn for the ridiculous, but that is where the comedy really sets-in. Before long Jeff ends up passing out leaving Miller and Casey with the task of getting Jeff safely home. The problem for Miller and Casey besides being drunk themselves is that they are lost too and can't even remember Jeff's address. Miller and Casey decide they need to find someone who can tell them where Jeff lives so they can get him home. With the clock ticking away leaving only hours until Jeff's interview, Miller and Casey must now carry Jeff to what ends up being all over campus.

Miller and Casey's late night adventure makes them enemies of some Latina sorority sisters (you won't believe what they did to these poor girls). That's not all, the male cheer leading squad is also looking to settle the score with Miller, Casey and Jeff (who is still unconscious). While this may seem like a lot to deal with, Miller and Casey are also discovering some disturbing secrets about Jeff along the way as people mention Jeff's strange behavior in ways that really start to worry his best friends. None more worrisome than Miller and Casey finding a loaded gun in Jeff's pocket.

In the face of extremely funny difficulties, Miller and Casey never give up their quest to get Jeff home. Even after being captured, tortured and held hostage themselves Miller and Casey still will do anything for Jeff and all just in time for an unexpected but not really surprising ending.

The laughs keep coming in this movie with plenty of "OMG" and "No they didn't" moments that left the audience rolling in the isles. 21 AND OVER is a must see for HANGOVER movie fans.

- Hollywood JUNKET

More Missing Than His Identity!, 27 April 2013

"Arthur Newman" opens with a scene of the main character, Wallace Avery, played by Academy Award winning actor Colin Firth (The King's Speech) talking to an employment worker at the "Florida Department of Labor" as she asks him if he has been looking for work after his last dead-end job. As the audience is gradually introduced to Wallace's hum-drum life, it is quickly evident why he decides to shake things up.

Longing for more excitement and giving-up on his efforts to become closer to his son and ex-wife, Wallace sets out for a private adventure to a pro golf course where he was promised a shot at a better life. Carefully planning the steps, Wallace disappears after a camping trip on the beach. His long-time girlfriend, Mina Crawley (Anne Heche) and son are the two who end-up missing Wallace the most and comfort each other with memories and nights of sharing his home together.

Wallace begins a $10,000 new identity "Arhur J. Newman", a name he made-up when asked by a golf pro many years ago, with $20,00 in pocket cash. Early-on along the way, Wallace encounters a spit-fire of a woman who calls herself Mike (Golden Globe winner, Emily Blunt). They find that they have more in common than it originally appears and become steadfast lovers and friends who play a game of taking-on random couples' identities throughout their travels. Running away from pasts which they did not want to face, they conclude their journeys once it becomes evident that the right path was the one they were on all along before they met.

"Arthur Newman" is a story about two victims who are also survivors of life's challenges who decide to run away and start anew as two different people. Emily Blunt and Colin Firth are brilliant. The storyline, not so much. The plot line of "Arthur Newman" a is as sketchy as the lead characters' identities.