seemingly interesting, but a letdown, 25 October 2013

A family moves into a condemned New England house where a witch was executed by drowning in the pond on the property. I had never heard of this movie until a few days ago, but it seemed very interesting. Unfortunately, this movie was a big letdown considering the positive things I've read about it. Superstition is basically 90 minutes of bad acting and bad storytelling with some very gory (and surprisingly well crafted) death sequences. There were a few interesting parts of the movie, but they are overshadowed by this poorly executed film. I heard the score was changed, so the one in the version I watched may not have been the original. However, the score was an exact rip-off of The Shining (1980). I feel like I probably gave a rating slightly higher than it deserves, but I can't help but think about how much potential this movie had. I probably wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but if you stumble onto it for free and are bored, go for it.

V/H/S (2012)
fun & creepy found-footage anthology, 19 October 2013

A gang of criminals are hired to break into a house in order to find a VHS tape but they end up finding a large collection of strange and bizarre videos. This was an interesting way to mix the found-footage genre with anthology; having the burglars watching the tapes containing different segments. They were all very strange and creepy segments full of gore and scares. Most of the stories were not too original, and some were very cliché, but they pulled off feeling like real found footage. "Amateur Night" was definitely my favorite of the bunch. Even though I knew what was going to happen due to spoilers, I still liked it the most and was not expecting how it ended. For me, the weakest segment was "Second Honeymoon." It was a bit of a letdown because I usually like Ti West's work and this piece was only so-so. Overall; V/H/S wasn't the most original in terms of scary stories, but it was a fun and original way to display found footage.

unnerving and haunting film, 16 October 2013

Three film students visit a small rural town in Maryland in order to make a documentary about its dark history. Things begin going wrong once they are in the woods and gradually become a living nightmare that unfolds from their point of view. The Blair Witch Project is one of the most effectively creepy and scary horror movies of our time. The situations, the people and the acting all seem so real and help create this fictional legend. Because there is pretty much a complete lack of visuals (that most modern movies use as a crutch) and the audience must rely on the reactions from the cast makes this pure genius. Of course, it wouldn't have worked had the actors failed in their performances. But that was definitely not the case with this film. I have only seen it a few times, but nearly every moment sticks with me because The Blair Witch Project is such an unnerving and haunting film.

funnier than the first, 13 October 2013

The sequel stars off right where the first movie ended, but a dismembered hand follows Sarah home and kills her step father. Because nobody believes Sarah's hand story, she is facing jail time. Mark takes Sarah on a journey to find some type of proof to clear Sarah of the charges. This was a pretty decent sequel that was actually funnier than the first. Whereas the original had dark humor, this one has more slapstick humor like Evil Dead II and Dead Alive. Ironically, Bruce Campbell has a part in this movie. It wasn't a big role, but it was very memorable and humorous. There is one thing I was not happy about; the recasting of Sarah. I really don't like when a character is recast, but it makes it worse when the new actor looks completely different. Monika does do a decent job overall. There are some memorable spoofs like House on Haunted Hill, Alien, and Frankenstein. A decent portion of the movie takes place in a medieval land that reminded me of the alternate dimension introduced in the second season of Angel, Pylea. Maybe Joss Whedon was inspired from this movie. The effects are also better, not big studio movie better, but improved from the first. If you liked the first one, you will definitely like this.

Tamara (2005)
goofy, fun, horror movie, 13 October 2013

Tamara is a shy and lonely outcast at school who becomes the victim of a merciless prank by the popular kids. In a fit of rage, there is a struggle and Tamara is killed by accident. The group buries her in the woods and vows to never speak of it again. Then Tamara walks into school the next day.

There's just something about this movie that I really like. It's not very original and is predictable, but it's a fun horror movie to watch. There aren't many modern horror movies that are able to be the good kind of stupid, but Tamara does just that. There are so many ridiculous moments and funny things that happen or are said, but it's never boring. There are also some very disgusting moments of gore that will make you vomit or smile… depending on what you like. It's one of those movies you don't bother checking the time because it has a steady pace that never slows down. Last but not least, Jenna does a great job at portraying this character and being evil. So if you want a goofy, fun, horror movie then check out Tamara.

Waxwork (1988)
A gem when it comes to campy horror movies, 7 October 2013

A group of friends attend a private showing at a new Waxwork museum, but the owner has a sinister plan that involves the wax figures. The museum has displays of the most sinister creatures known to man and once a person steps onto the display, they enter the creature's world. I thoroughly enjoy this movie every time I watch it because it is very creative and set out to do something completely different. The only negative thing I can say is that the effects and editing are fairly poor. However, it doesn't stand out that much or ruin the movie at all. It is full of dark humor and gives nods to great horror movies. Of course, it wouldn't be a campy 80's movie without Gremlins star Zach Galligan and several other memorable actors from the decade showing up. It should also be mentioned that this is Anthony Hickox's first feature-length film, which makes it even more impressive. This is a gem when it comes to campy horror movies and is a definite must-see.

Amityville take #3, 6 October 2013

The third installment to the Amityville movies finds a non-believer, John Baxter, moving into the infamous house to prove he does not believe the stories. Well, everyone who seems to come in contact with him and the house begins to die in bizarre ways. This movie was not horrible, but it just wasn't that great, even compared to the second installment. There were a few moments that were very good. I don't want to spoil the scene, but there is a particular moment that is very eerie and bone-chilling. One of the main issues with this movie is that it focused too much on what the evil force was behind the house. That is the same thing that hurt the second installment. The subtle creepiness of the original is what made it work so well, but this one seemed like it wanted to be a crappy Poltergeist sequel and fell flat. It was also odd that characters in the movie acknowledged the DeFeo murders, ignoring the Lutz family all-together along with the name change of the first family in Amityville II (Motelli). My only guess is that they were trying to suggest the first two movies were in-fact movies and this one was "real," or they just forgot what continuity was. The acting was not that great, too many awkward pauses and poor delivery. I won't say this was the worst horror movie I've ever seen, but it is definitely up there. Watch at your own risk, or watch to make fun of it.

A young man slowly losing his mind, 4 October 2013

This horror prequel depicts the events that lead to the massacre of a family. The movie was based on the actual family who lived in the Amityville house, the DeFeo's, who were all murdered by the oldest son. There are inaccuracies to not only the real events, but to the events depicted in the first movie. I remember being told this movie was "scarier than the first one," but I found myself laughing at most of it. Don't get me wrong, there were still some creepy moments (the mother feeling a presence in the basement, Sonny being attacked by the presence and hearing the voices), but it was mainly made up of bad writing and awkward dialog. Some of the special effects were surprisingly done very well for their time. Jack Magner also did an exceptional job portraying a young man slowly losing his mind to a maleficent force. It was decent, even with the bad dialog, until the last twenty minutes or so. The ending was very weak and fell flat. But overall, I would say to watch it for the good parts I mentioned and then make fun of the rest.

Outstanding breath of fresh air to the genre, 1 October 2013

Five friends go away for a trip to a secluded cabin in the woods… and no, you haven't seen this one. 'Cabin is a love letter to all of the wonderful things in the horror genre by Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard. I really did not know what to expect with this movie, but I knew it would be worthwhile. There is this wonderful aspect in the writing where you think you know what will happen, but you get completely blindsided. While I disagree with the majority of horror fans in that there are zero good ones being made anymore, The Cabin in the Woods was an outstanding breath of fresh air to the genre. I haven't been this satisfied with a horror movie since Trick 'r Treat. The detail in this movie was epic, to put it lightly and is one of the reasons you never get bored from watching it multiple times. It was a true labor of love from people who understand the genre. Another noteworthy aspect of the movie is they used practical effects as much as possible, which is a very rare thing today. Any filmmaker will tell you that digital effects are far easier, but it's nice to see a big studio film (let alone one of horror) not use CGI as a crutch. The Cabin in the Woods is hands down a modern-day horror classic.

An eerie tale of terror!, 30 October 2012

Some city kids take a trip to the country and one of them ends up killing a local boy in a biking accident. That boy's father decides to make a deal with a witch to get vengeance on the city kids by unleashing a powerful demon. Shortly after, the man realizes he went too far and has to try and help save the kids. This is such a great horror movie with quality sets, good acting, and a creepy demon. The demon, Pumpkinhead, is very well-done for an '80s movie and feels like just another character. The sets are outstanding, especially the witches' cabin, cemetery, and old church. They really give you a rustic and eerie tone that suits the movie's overall tone. Lance Henriksen gives a great performance as a man struggling with the sudden loss of his son and the choices he makes. I think that is one of the main reasons I like the movie so much because it's not just some monster killing pretty people, it's also about this man struggling with his own inner demons. There also some memorable lines in the movie, especially from the witch, Haggis, who is very creepy. The score also fits into the movie very well and is perfect for the setting and type of movie that it is. Another important thing about the movie is that it never drags on or gets too full of itself, but it is very creative and has a surprising ending. It is definitely a must-see for any horror fan.