strosstrup

Korean dramas are amazing!, 25 July 2011

The Immortal Yi Soon Shin is no exception. Even if you don't understand a lick of Korean, the dialect, or the culture, the acting is amazing! Not only is the acting exemplary, but the cinematography, uniforms, and action trump any drama in the United States. Watch it, you will love it! In the United States, the show has subtitles, so following the dialogue is no problem. If there were no subtitles, the acting is so prolific that I could probably surmise what is going on in the plot or the individual episode. I am hooked on this gem, and I have been watching it for a long time. Luckily, I found episodes of it online, and I cannot tear myself away from it, except maybe when nature calls.

Dare to Love (1995) (TV)
Powerful, scary yet uplifting, 24 April 2009

This is by far one of the most superbly acted films I have ever watched. Delve into the life of a young woman stricken with schizophrenia and how the disease ravages the afflicted and all those around her.

The cast in "Dare to Love" is amazing. Josie Bissett is so convincing it is disturbing to watch her in this role. Jason Gedrick, Jill Eikenberry, and my perennial favorite James Sikking all deliver powerful supporting roles.

This movie is not all doom and gloom. Although most of the film centers on the horrors of the disease, there are many glimmers of hope and a story line that slowly progresses to a positive ending.

Highly recommended for all audiences, especially those with a family member suffering from the disease.

Excellent revenger! Buddy Ebsen at his swarthiest!, 4 March 2007

Buddy Ebsen plays "Drago," a tough, grizzled war veteran who was taken in and given room and board by a benevolent woman and her son. While working on the ranch, Outlaws invade the ranch, killing the woman and critically wounding her young son. When Marshal Dillon, Deputy Newly, and a large posse arrive at the ranch, Marshal Dillon offers to deputize Drago. Drago reluctantly agrees. Thinking Drago's intentions will be to track down and capture the killers, Drago, along with his trusted, fearless and highly intelligent rottweiler, has different plans that involve exacting some revenge. Can Newly talk some sense into Drago before it is too late?

Powerful film...contains spoilers...., 13 February 2007

Based on the true story of the 1985 hijacking of an Italian cruise ship, and murder of a wheelchair bound American who was shot and dumped into the ocean.

By far, one of the best directed and well-acted dramas I have ever seen. All of the actors, including supporting actors, were superb. One of the most gripping and dramatic scenes is when President Reagan orders U.S. fighter jets to force the Egyptian Airliner carrying the terrorist to land at an Italian military air base. As the airliner touches down, Italian authorities are seen responding to intercept the plane. As the Italian military and Carabiniere converge and surround the plane, a U.S. C-130 lands carrying a huge contingent of US Navy Seals and Delta Force. What happens next is for the annals of history! Very worth while to see!

Cast Away (2000)
An emotional, uplifting, and positive story of hope, faith, survival and perhaps Divine Intervention., 18 January 2007

"Cast Away" tells the tale of a successful and much revered Federal Express Executive who's dynamic life takes a surreal turn after he is the sole survivor of a horrific plane crash into the ocean. The storyline pits a business savvy workhorse against the wrath of nature in a desperate attempt at survival.

At the core of the movie is a story of hope, survival, love, and faith. The movie explores the personal successes and failures of a white collar, high-powered Executive who's career and many aspects of his personal life are ruled by the clock. An unexpected and traumatic life-altering event removes Chuck Noland (Tom Hanks)from his regimented lifestyle bound by self-erected parameters, and deposits him smack-dab-in-the middle of a new life where he realizes that, ironically, he now has an abundance of his most treasured and precious resource-the resource of time.

"Cast Away" is an excellent cinematic experience for viewers who have a strong sense of faith, spirituality, and perhaps even divine intervention. Throughout the film, Chuck faces obstacles and scenarios that make "Survivor" look like a walk in the park. Everywhere he turns he is seemingly subjected to tests of his mettle and intestinal fortitude. Watching Chuck navigate each experience, the viewer cannot help but explore his/her own circumstances and wonder if they have what it truly takes to survive if they were left to their own devices. Notwithstanding the physical challenges, one must ask themselves if he/she could overcome the emotional and psychological challenges.

Perhaps most importantly, I believe the premise of the movie is that you are only bound by your own parameters. You can survive just about any situation if you look deep down inside your core and pull out reserves you never knew you had. It also seems to teach you that you should never give up. However, if the situation is too much to handle and you have done your absolute best to survive, you may just get a little help from a divine source.

Powerful, emotional, gripping, exciting! Highly recommended!

A Brilliantly well executed SciFi drama..., 13 June 2004

Ok, I admit that I was never great at math and science, but with a 140 IQ, I'd like to consider myself fairly intelligent, therefore, when I offer up my opinion on the sheer brilliance of "The Andromeda Strain," I feel that I am unequivocally justified. Although this cinematic triumph appears dated by today's standards, the premise and execution of the tenets of the film are, for all intents and purpose, timeless.

The plot is extremely well developed and the scenes flow almost flawlessly into a nearly perfect scientific masterpiece. This film is so well executed and documented, and clearly well ahead of its time, that, albeit the dramatic prose, it could almost stand alone as a scientific documentary. Andromeda's allusion to computer algorithms, medical studies, and even subtle nuances, such as the sound of public address systems in the background, adds to its attractiveness, and gives the audience a true appreciation of the film's talented production and direction team.

"The Andromeda Strain" is a rare situation whereby the film may actually be as enthralling as the book. If you have a child mature enough to watch this movie, I highly recommend that you let them. For all parents out there who are hopeful their children will express an interest in biomedical research, this film is essential viewing! However, please be forewarned there are some disturbing scenes involving animal cruelty that should be approached with extreme caution. Notwithstanding minor flaws that almost all films possess, this is an awesome gem! See it !!!

I've got a message for you, and you're not going to like it...., 31 January 2004

...PRAY FOR DEATH...

What a creepy flick, with a unique plot. Satan, with all of his malevolence, returns in a liquid form to conquer mankind and turn ordinary citizens into disciples of death. Disturbing sequences, good acting, and, none other than Alice Cooper, combine to make this a fright fest. A cerebral masterpiece.

The Prophecy II (1998) (V)
This should be fodder for Mystery Science Theatre, 20 December 2003

This is, by far, one of the worst movies I have ever had the misfortune of watching. The acting, the special effects, the violence, all contrived and utterly unbelievable. The makeup was atrocious, and the script was hellacious. I love Christopher Walken, but he was really miscast in this role; he is far too matter-of-fact to play such a malevolent entity. Dreck!

Excellent acting, 14 August 2003

Well, I have to hand one thing to the French...as long as they are not directing comedies, they are very good at producing excellent dramatic, or erotic cinematography.

"Rape of Love" is a sad, powerful, and poignant look at the events in the life of a woman following her brutal rape. The acting by Nathalie Nell is incredible. In watching her, I actually felt extreme pity for her character. Her portrayal as this sweet and innocent victim, transformed into a different person after the attack, is quite compelling.

Although tough to watch the rape scenes, the rest of the movie is excellent, and very well produced. The dialogue, story line, plot development, and cinematography all work cohesively to keep the viewer riveted. This is a very well produced movie.

The Ring (2002)
Not scary, cerebral, innovative, nor interesting., 14 August 2003

I have heard so many people saying they found this movie to be "utterly terrifying," "that it was chilling," and that you "HAVE got to see it." To be honest with you, I fell asleep halfway through it. This production was a hodge podge of sloppy acting, predictable cliches, and ridiculous metaphorical rhetoric. I really wanted to watch a scary movie, but instead I watch a jumbled up storyline. Yes, there were a couple of ghoulish scenes, but they were few and far between.

Incidentally, how many of us are still alive? I mean, after all, we watched the movie, and the tape. I truly wonder how many of the people who have watched this tape are still alive seven days after the fact. Now, a study on that premise would make an interesting storyline. :-)