maine_310

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

You just gotta love Whitney Cummings, 4 January 2013

If you don't love Whitney, then you may not be a fan of her jokes, or just class them as unfunny. Someone who is unbiased to Whitney's new found presence on television, would just click the remote on and laugh. Whitney has the type of "don't care" personality that works for and against her. You either love her, love to hate her or just hate. Which ever one works out is fine, because Whitney just doesn't care.

Right now she has split LYMI into categories that debate topics of what people talk and think about everyday. You know you were thinking it and Whitney is brave enough to say it out loud. She then goes into her comedian debate segment over clips which can offer a belly rolling of laughs. Who doesn't like to watch a whole lot of comedians making fun of things? We invent things ourselves in our thoughts and laugh to ourselves anyway. Fresh faces keeps this show original. We don't see the same people all the time, well except Whitney and her sidekick (every good villain needs one)...and it is her show.

We are then treated to a guest interview which has worked well because Whitney has a good group of friends on her side and that makes the show interesting. I am not an 'in your face' fan of Whitney, but she probably has found her niche in television and tries to be herself naturally, regardless of the negativity a lot of people throw her way. Just because of that it ironically makes me like her.

So without prejudging, it is simply a series that tells you the dirty, witty, spontaneous on the street topics that when you turn on the television to escape the hectic every day life, you get a laugh. Sometimes that is what we need for a half hour or just a second.

Slow into Go - Becca snaps our Attention, 5 June 2012

I understand the meaning of attachment. When someone becomes a part of you, they are so attached to the limb. Even when you are apart from them, you are still close. That is the kind of relationship I understood for Becca and Michael. She loves Michael. It's that simple. The acting is an acquired taste that pulls you into a Missing imagination. You can relate, but you have to let it sink in.

235@W' brought me back to the days I used to make up some kind of code my friend and I used to outsmart our kindergarten teacher. Things like that we forget now because we barely find the time to learn a new language unique to ourselves. I have forgotten the symbols I formed when I was younger, but it was cool. This is was when the pilot kept me glued. I found the pace a bit slow in the beginning. Becca was running, but I still felt as though I wanted to be on that run with her. When she passes by some people now warming up for their run, this kept it real. It is subtle things like that some writers forget to include. A sense of continuity prevails when we realize that the pilot is not when Becca's life begins, we have partially interrupted a portion of time from Becca's life. That run looked very good too.

When I did my research on the title of course mainly serious matters appear. That is missing children among many. It can be a very sad topic to think about. This can hurt this new series. If at some point it turns out to be clichéd and overacted or just boring, it does no justice to the real issues that exist in society. Who can or should be entertained by someone being abducted? This series however slowly parts from that perspective and focuses on the perils of a mother. We see the connection a mother has with her child and we feel the torture of watching your child grow up and then mature away from a mother's oversight.

Clearly this explosion was an oversight. When Paul's car exploded during a conversation Becca was having with her son it lends itself to the drama television somehow creates, but not in real life. How would the Becca Winstone of this time deal with hearing an explosion and not knowing what happened on the other end of the phone. Unfortunately this was not truly delved into. The writers thought it more important to show Michael survived and Paul did not. It was clear, no more debate. I still felt that about ten years later, watching Becca run with Michael happy did not wet my appetite. Did the child actor look like present day Michael? Maybe. We don't care at this point. How did this explosion affect their lives? We do not get to see that.

So yeah we look for many things in a pilot. 1) A relationship, 2) Action 3) A story we can actually follow. Spy movies and television series have been done and overdone time and time again. Let's face it we all picture at some point being spies in our minds and keeping secrets that no one else but you and a selective few know. We let our minds explore the possibilities of anonymity to hide away our true selves and we escape. We pride ourselves on learning skills and holding the wealth of technology in our palms. These are all trade qualities we crave sometimes on a long on the clock day of work, come on it happens. If not then through the people we socialize with. I forget all that with Missing. I don't need to compare with other series because it stands on its own. So the pilot worked for me and I caught the reruns when available.

The writing of this series comes full circle in the pilot when Michael tried to make sense of his symbol with his mother. Part of how it all began, to end with Becca knowing that his son stayed at a place where that symbol existed. It melts you in a way that not many truly understand. Some shows are just there for you to look at but Missing goes the extra mile to pull a cast from all over to have a home in one sitting. That is truly remarkable.

4.8 Stars

SAVE MISSING

Read in Full

www.lexabuti.blogspot.com

A Season filled of Adventure, 9 May 2012

I found myself anticipating each episode. Eager every time Tuesday came around hoping to have Unforgettable on my television schedule. A lot of my friends have debates on each sequence. I have grown to like Al and Carrie together as colleagues and partners. This series however goes beyond that. It touches on the roots of doubt and unguided decisions. It pulls you into a world of a past that one tries to overcome. I am certain most can relate with that tag-line.

I could not believe how hooked I became until it was a Monday morning I was getting ready for work and I was excited for Unforgettable the next day. For any series to do that means that it has made an impact and not many I can say do that for me. This episode delivered on answers and Jo has come pretty close to all of our hearts. This episode went back to the past and encouraged Carrie to face her fears. Yet the writing was impeccable, along with the acting.

I now think about is what could be holding the network back from keeping this series head on. What this network needs is a strong female character that stands out. Viewers can relate with it, so they do not have far to go. Its marketing potential can be used for everyone's benefit. The finale still left me wanting more, which is what a second season should provide.

An Unexpected Hit, 9 May 2012

Unforgettable reminds me of 'drama' series that aired in the earlies. It has that slowed pace that gets you hooked on the story. Characters are layered with pure emotion. It leads you to believe that these people very well exist in reality. Then there is Carrie. Most people have commented on her memory skills. It leads me to think that some may not like the actress Poppy Montgomery, but her talent as an actress surpasses any superficial criticism. Be it the clothes she wears or her pride about her 'superpower', she is made human because of them.

I understand how Carrie began her journey and the writers of this series have found a way to place subtle clues in each episode that allows you to think deeper. This is what most series lack these days. It pulls you into this world that encourages you to feel for Carrie and her story. She is far from perfect. She seeks out thrills of life and was lost when her sister died. A piece of her has struggled to survive. Any series that can achieve this connection has a true talent in this television industry. Sadly not many see it because of the emotional depth they cannot achieve within themselves. How can they understand a story arc so detailed? This is far be it, one of the best series television has to offer. The characters represent the closest to reality characters portray. While each director, producer or editor on staff attempt to place a measure of humor or something that can attract more viewers, the series does not falter. There are those that see it for it's value and appreciate the cast as human beings. Carrie's vision of herself in her memories are for us to see the exact moment she focuses on something. It is a televised guide for us, that helps us see into her mind. This is one minor thing some put down to push this series off, but the lessons we learn from each mistake takes us on a whole new journey. This is what television needs.

An Unexpected Twist, 6 May 2012

The first time watching this trailer 'Material Girls' came to mind. The trailer mirrored each element of drags from riches and I imagined how these girls would survive the former. I anticipated a change of cast to reform a theory that could be portrayed differently on screen. The trailer was misleading. The movie went beyond the Prada and you soon forget that they had nothing.

Nora and Mary are sisters, quite different from each other. When the synopsis makes mention to two spoiled sisters, Nora seems far from that label. They were given everything they wanted, yet Nora chose to fight for what she believed in by becoming a lawyer. Mary became the stereotyped version of the spoiled and riches story. When she lost everything, she struggled to hold on to what was. It wasn't clearly mentioned, but Nora portrayed herself as the eldest and most ambitious.

The film then crosses parallels by making references to Mexican culture and traditions as Mary tried to embrace that side of her culture. Nora focused on her fight. Camilla Belle played Nora as a strong focused young woman that faced her problems. Her sometimes expressionless moments and subtle gestures set her apart from her sister. At certain points there was difficulty connecting these two girls as sisters because of their differences, but they still found ways to connect.

Time overlapped frequently and the pace was barely one you could keep up with. The emotions did not match up evenly. The audience would be disconnected from the romance this film tried to capture. Mary's obsession to leave her new home drove her to an overambitious TA who took advantage of her desperation. It would have been a solid had this TA been reprimanded for taking Mary for granted. Having his wife leave him in that final scene before Mary's accident would have been the cherry on top. Alas Mary and Nora found happiness, but the main theme was lost. What was truly gained in the end? Was Nora ever successful with her own law practice? Was love the original plan this film set out to achieve in the end? What was in those letters for their step brother? While this film did achieve a solid theme and overall solid storytelling, I had hoped for more. It however left some unanswered questions behind.

Excellent: All this time I struggled to figure out exactly how Clark would change his identity, except the mistake made was the 'change'., 16 October 2010

Nearing the end of a series, where an abundance of fans have followed since the beginning, writers often slip with the quality or step up their game. "Homecoming" was proof that not only these writers improved on the material, but gave meaning to the story of Smallville; a boy's journey to become the man he was destined to be. Ten years of Smallville clubs, shippers from videos on 'Youtube' and incredible reflections on the image previous writers played on the Superman image, created this milestone. What other meaning could this Superman be to us; the dream that gives every individual hope of life, that people beyond our imaginings hold our best interest at heart.

This episode was filled with such debt. Others have put strain on the pressure placed on Clark to become the hero he was already, but did not take into consideration the strain he placed on himself that held him back. Our minds were focused on the possible threats that Clark would have to battle on this journey, that no one paid attention to his destination. This trip down memory lane was for his own good, despite our resentments. Clark had to face his past; a past he dreams he could redo, correct the wrongs he made and save the people he hurt. He finds so many ways to hurt his already bruised heart from the suffering he had endured. Instead of learning from his mistakes, he transforms the pain into another load.

All this time I struggled to figure out exactly how Clark would change his identity, except the mistake made was the 'change'. There is no way Clark could change the person he spent years building. He once tried to erase himself completely for the betterment of others, rather than realizing the strength he already had to realize his humanity and his destiny. In fact, with a trip to the future, 2017 to be exact, Superman was already born, he was in love and he was on his prophesied path.

The future as painted in "Pandora" has changed drastically. Moreover since Zod was defeated. It can also prove that the future Clark was exposed to may be cause for changed and it would only be up to Clark to create his own future. I spent a while on this review, re watching clips of my favorite moments throughout this episode, which meant I had to watch the episode over to its entirety. Thumbs up to everyone who made 'Homecoming' possible. I applaud each and everyone to keep it up, the journey was a long one and fans are still traveling down the road you constructed for us.

Lexa

Read Full Review Here:

Smallville: Season 10, Episode 4 "Homecoming" Review

Five Stars

Grade A+

___________

Triangles are usually associated with love affairs and mixed feelings within mixed relationships., 21 March 2010

Now 'Triangles' could have been placed on the Cooper-Charlotte-Sheldon trio, where Cooper couldn't bare the jealousy of Charlotte and another man together, the triangle could be placed among Addison-Pete-and-Sam or even Addison-Sam-and-Naomi. This episode bore it's focus on so many triangular related plots, that even the title had to succumb to it. If there was any doubt about the triangular theme, Naomi-White-and-Fife should put the final touch on the many altered and complex relationships already existing.

It was surprising how cleverly the writers made Naomi aware of the Sam and Addison love-friend-lover-whatever-affair going on. It was an awkward stage between the two of them and Addison held off on being with Sam only to have Naomi still be angry with her. Addison was wrong for allowing her feelings for Sam to go beyond friendship, but she should have just held her tongue and avoid mentioning the kiss between her and Sam, no matter how much her guilty conscience weighed down on her. By the look of things, Naomi and Addison would not be mending fences soon. Even though Naomi has moved on with her life 'seemingly', that doesn't mean that she shouldn't harbor feelings of resentment after the discovery of her best friend's interest in her ex husband.

Addison carries a lot of baggage her way; firstly she has dealt with an affair, simply sleeping with every attractive guy she is confronted with. It's almost deplorable the sexual weight Addison has built within her profile, the last person anyone would expect her to end up with was Sam. It's more of a betrayal of trust, than it is anything else. Which was probably why Addison felt the need to push Sam away, to avoid the huge melodrama of it all. In all fairness, was Addison ready to be a mother to Maya? Because that would be a fact she would have to consider if she and Sam ever got together. Which was also why she had to consider getting into a relationship with Pete and Lucas. It's not just sleeping with men anymore, it's more taking on the responsibility of caring for the excess baggage welcomed in her lifestyle.

The entire Cooper-Charlotte-Sheldon melodrama also needed a bit refining. The scene between them in the kitchen was indeed a testosterone adrenaline rush. Who knew Sheldon had it in him? Although I believed Cooper was being a jerk, Sheldon seemed the least likely to win the fight. Had Charlotte not interrupted, who knew what other parts would have been bruised. It was nice that Private Practice incorporated this funny scene for viewers. Everything else has shed a certain depressing tone when it came to relationships and case stories.

This was frankly the second episode without Amy Brenneman (Violet) and I assure you writers I miss her very much. I don't understand the absence. Violet would probably cause conflict between Addison and Sam, that the writers could be giving their relationship some time to develop before it falls apart. Wouldn't Sheldon also find it strange that he's sleeping with another woman in the same place he once slept with Violet. Doesn't that raise a few psychological pressing answers in his head? Sheldon has grown an inch of attraction with his features, I don't know if it is the make up, but it is a wonder whether Charlotte carries true feelings for him, or whether this is another physical relationship for her.

It was fun that Addison hijacked an elevator just to talk to Sheldon, had he not been around, what would have been her case?

The case where Sam's new girlfriend takes over Addison's patient was pressing. I wouldn't be surprised if the husband would press charges against the girlfriend, for her medical mishap that caused his wife to become brain dead. It was sad the way the actual parents preferred their babies lives over the woman who was carrying them. This is actually a case I would like to have a continuation; where the husband sues Sam for malpractice and his girlfriend, then let''s have the writers come up with the rest. The second case dealing with the 'imaginary friend' was new and interesting appealing to sensitive real facts of denial and coping for both the patient and the doctors.

I admire the direction Private Practice has taken, very sensible and well developed plots. I would actually have preferred it had Addison kept her self quiet and stayed away from the complications of relationships. They don't ever work out the way she intends it and someone indirectly always ends up getting hurt.

http://lexabuti.blogspot.com '

Grade B+

___________

Even as the title is 'Fear of Flying', it didn't only revolve around Sheldon's case, with the woman., 21 March 2010

It actually reflected everyone's fear of flying. Addison was afraid to hurt Naomi's feelings and venture into a relationship with Sam, Sam was afraid to move on with someone that didn't quite remind him of Addison, Naomi was afraid to explore her feelings for Fife, Cooper was afraid to admit his feelings for Charlotte, Charlotte was afraid to get hurt again and Violet was afraid to come home. Each and every character, had their fear similar to that of flight, climbing and moving up or even moving on.

I was surprised that Amy Brennman (Violet) was not included here. Each character was well utilized, but as a main character, she was missed. All they seem to establish around Violet since her incident with Katie, was that she was damaged and needed some sort of fixing, emotionally. Let's hope this trip did her some good and she returns next time revived and newly reformed.

I still can't get used to Addison and Pete, locking each other in a romantic embrace, like a couple. The concept of them hasn't registered much really. I begin to ponder upon the reliability of their relationship to last at all, since it was created out of share depression from rejection. Things are just too complicated and when the real issues emerge, I doubt they could handle it. Addison was forced to face Sam, but Pete didn't get the chance to face Violet, how will that be handled? The opening missing underwear scene with Pete and Addison, was slightly disturbing. I kept wondering, 'couldn't she have bough one on her way to work, even if she probably left from his place'? I don't think Addison truly understand the responsibility of a relationship as what they may have is purely physical. Otherwise, why haven't we had a scene with Addison holding Lucas, or playing the potential parent role. That would soon come into play and may be the driving field to get Violet back into Lucas' life.

Sam, in my opinion, has been a true snob lately. I believe he is acting out of a bruised ego as opposed to a broken heart. Nothing truly happened between him an Addison enough to say that he was in love with her. So dating someone that reminds him of her, might grant him a referral to Violet's office. Sam needs to stop acting stuck up and discover the real reason Addison and Pete are together.

I wonder if Maya is on her honeymoon now? She was deliberately omitted here and it would have been good to find out what was next after the wedding as newlyweds. Naomi is too fixated on William and Sam on Addison for the story-lines to intercept, and deal with what's new with Maya and Dink. I honestly don't know where Noami's attraction in William. She may not mention the wealth, but I am certain that has a great impact. The sex talk from her was a bit disturbing as well, could you actually picture Naomi and William together *shreeee*. Probably just as disturbing as Sheldon and Charlotte.

Private Practice did show a litter side to things, although the theme was set around depressing circumstances; where a father is forced to leave his family behind, because of inconsistencies in paperwork and a health condition. How many sad plots could Private Practice create before they start focusing on the good times again?

____________

Grade B-

____________

No one really prepares for their fifteen year old child's wedding., 21 March 2010

It is actually something you put at the back of your head, as you watch them grow into the individuals you can be proud of. You would even want them to either follow in your professional footsteps, or get them to have the better life you could not afford yourself. We always want the best for our children, so we can relate with Sam and Naomi's story.

It took guts on Naomi's part, attempting to stay away from everything that was taking place. I am certain she hoped that if she closed her eyes and turned her head enough times, all her problems would go away; she would no longer have to face a pregnant daughter, in love at an uncertain teenage time and she would no longer have a wedding to deal with. If you really think about it, this situation would be overwhelming for any mother.

Maya showed a great level of maturity for her age, while she tried to get Naomi to fess up and realize what was happening. Sam was right, the more Naomi ignored everything related to what her daughter was going through, the more Maya would form her own family having her mother on the sidelines as though she were a stranger. Naomi believed she failed as a mother, and that's natural, especially given how strict Naomi was, it's no wonder she would consider herself a failure, ashamed to confront her friends for fear of scrutiny. On the other hand, there was only so much she could hide from, according to Sam, she had to be the adult and avoid having him deal with everything on his own. It was happening whether or not she willed it away.

On the topic of Sam, I still can't figure out his obsession with Addison. They were very good as friends and you could tell they loved each other on a deeper level, given everything they've been through together. Which is why I can't understand Sam's distaste towards her. Especially when he implied the notion that Addison was seeing Pete; without any hard facts. It somehow felt that when Addison first confessed to seeing someone, she was trying to rub it in Sam's face. I don't know if she meant it that way, but it was not too long ago Addison and Sam were lip-locking as a means to suck the passion from each other, only to have Addison mention some guy she was seeing. How serious could it have been, and shouldn't Sam have known about it since they used to be so close? It surely wasn't Noah.

Sam had no right to treat Addison as though she went behind his back. He has no jurisdiction over Pete. He can't say Pete is his friend and make Addison feel guilty, it just doesn't work that way. Had he said that his only concern was with Violet and how their relationship would affect her, then I could have given him a pass for being such a shrew. I was very disappointed in him. It's a shame how relationships become dismantled the moment things cross over to a 'friends with benefit on a sometime-ish' notion. Do you believe Sam would have acted so cruel if nothing happened? Surely there would have been a few eyebrow raisers, because it would mean that Addison couldn't keep her business in one place, but Sam would have given her a long speech and probably guide her in the right direction.

I would look forward to the development among these relationships; the Maya-Dink-Sam-Naomi-Addison-Violet round about would be fascinating. I only hope the best for Maya, she is trying to live out her youth and juggle being an adult, it would truly be a difficult task.

Sideline Note - What was Cooper doing with that Charlotte look-a-like and and sound-a-like? That goes to show how much Charlotte is on his mind, that he would bring someone so similar as his date. I believe Charlotte made a huge mistake sleeping with Cooper again. Why go down that road if it leads to the same place? I really had no idea how Charlotte was going to take off her dress, wash it and dry it in time before the reception was finished, she should have just gone home. Charlotte either tried to seduce Cooper in that moment and he fell for it, or the writers tried to pull something to get Cooper and Charlotte in the same room together, to ignite that flame. There is only so long a candle keeps burning before the wicker blows out. I would prefer it had things been sorted out properly between them before jumping into a boiling pan, I can't handle anymore arguing from them.

Another interesting pointer was how well they made use of all characters, including Dell. Dell is one of the most underused characters and they managed to find a home for him in Private Practice, I am glad he was there for Maya. On a more cheerful note, I hope the writers would now script less emotionally draining episodes; that premature baby was another heart-breaker. Let's hope on the brighter side of things, that the end would be 'til death do us part' for Maya and Dink, just like they vowed to each other. Beautiful wedding indeed!

Grade B-

___________

Was it just me, or did you gather that we missed an entire chapter on Renee and Jack., 24 February 2010

I hardly doubt Jack would have been so callous to the security officer and the woman interrogating Renee. Jack was willing to choke her..., risking a possible confinement, it's a wonder she didn't press charges. I am concerned about Renee and her past and her condition that led her to that point of ruthless murder. It still manages to fall on Hastings.

Hastings establishes his weak character as each hour grows. He's fearful, lacks the decent spontaneity and common sense that a leader should have. We learn that he was placed in his position by Rob Weiss; he himself proves to be poor in judgment when it came to selection of 'heads'. Their solution to everything is put the blame on everyone else except themselves, which is a hint of weakness. What makes Hastings capable of running CTU? What makes CTU the best or even more efficient than they used to be?

At least in the early days they didn't have employees missing and unaccounted for, because of irresponsible actions. Of course I was referring to Walsh and apparently her fiancée Ortiz fell for lack of judgment when he saw the true colors of who he was going to marry. The moment Walsh confessed the truth I shook my head. I kept thinking "you couldn't have done that before, come on!". Now look at what's happened; Kevin's psycho friend Nick became even crazier and gutted him (talk about a jaw dropper) then Ortiz managed to pull the trigger on Nick to save his own life.

What was the purpose of those characters anyway, I really couldn't get the concept? Was it to gear them away from CTU long enough to have Jack take control of things (who by the way recovered nicely from his torture and stab wound; years of training perhaps). Or was it to give Dana Walsh the character development needed for the future unknown, who knows? Kevin's friend became spooky the moment he smelt money and turned his armored foot on a patrol officer, who does that! I only hope Ortiz and Walsh wouldn't concoct some plan to hide the bodies in an attempt to save their jobs. Now that Ortiz knows about Walsh's past, would the wedding still be on? It's not like there was such an intense passion of on screen chemistry between them.

Somehow each character seemed underused and there was a slow development within this hour. I suspected that Hassan would pull a two timing job on his crew, but why not wait until he left the compound before he called CTU. That was reckless on his part, trying to play some kind of hero after he caused so much harm in the process. I wonder if he would be given immunity as well? Hassan did a reckless job of knocking out his newly formed enemy and running without any kind of plan. Maybe his nervousness got the better of him and he couldn't wait to be transported to his supposed friend privately.

I was actually glad not to have President Hassan this hour, he got too cranky the moment his wife left him. As for President Taylor, there was reference made about her daughter Olivia, between Jack and Hastings, I wonder if the mention of her had any meaning? I have no idea, but that scene between Jack and Hasting felt mediocre. Simply because Jack is more intimidating than Hastings ever could be, and he respects Jack too much to sanction him. It also makes Hastings the possible coward Jack imagined him to be; unaware of his true potential.

The next few hours better not be as repetitive as the previous seasons, the plot twists and villains aren't even lasting long enough in their character roles. Villains like last season Jonas Hodges and Colonel Ike Dubaku are starting to look better. It's still missing that flavor which gives you the adrenaline rush, that keeps you going until the day is over. I don't know how many hat tricks are left, but right now I would like more insight into why Jack is so passionate about Renee, as though they had some 'thing' together and to learn more about Dana Walsh's past, if it really matters anymore - or does it?

_______________________