Dragoneyed363

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Britney Ever After (2017) (TV)
Completely wasted potential; a mockumentary at best, 9 April 2017

Where to begin? I feel as to not make my comment way too lengthy, as I could go on all day about this travesty, I'll briefly hit every key point:

- Acting/Casting - The main girl looks like she's maybe heard one Britney Spears song in her life, and like she's heard even less about the stars' life and career before signing onto the movie. She acts like the bubblegum Britney for the entire film, and it is extremely infuriating almost to the point of parody, like she doesn't even give a sh!t about the story she's trying to encompass even a little. She doesn't look like Britney, she certainly doesn't dance like Britney, she's not Britney... I'll sum up this portion of my review very quickly by saying that the only person that doesn't look miscast in this and doesn't do a terribly unfortunate job at their performance is the mom, who honestly could have pulled off Britney Spears better.

- Directing/Editing - Choppy, chop, chop mess. Everything felt so overly rushed and poorly edited. We're flying scene to scene with no time to grow any attachment to what's going on in front of us. You'd be better off watching the real life videos again of what Ms. Spears had to go through in order to get a better grasp on the situation, because along with no acting depth, there is no depth in how the director is trying to accomplish every single scene. Such poor direction.

- Facts/New information - Aside from a few things with Justin Timberlake I was unaware of, this movie doesn't bring anything new to the spotlight that has not already been covered by the media or by Spears herself. They're all jumbled facts and info to begin with, and I know it's supposed to just be a chronicle of her life so far, but as other commentators have stated, there were big parts of her life left out, both good and bad.

- Songs or lack thereof/Britney's own rejection - By far one of the worst factors of this movie? The shining star of the film did NOT want it being made, and it shows more than ever. The only music that it shows the woman portraying Britney singing in the film are songs that Britney covered from other artists. ("I Can't Get No Satisfaction, though it's the Rolling Stones version in this movie of course, and "I Love Rock 'n' Roll".) All the other songs? Generic, dumb, badly timed Pop written for the movie it seems that is not worthy of imitating the multiple, high-tempo, sexy Dance beat albums that have been so publicly adored and acclaimed by Ms. Spears. She did not want this movie being made, and I can see why. But aside from the fact that she knew the movie would be bad, it's just an insult altogether. Britney is a normal person like you are me. Yes, a staple icon, but a person nonetheless, who knows that if anything was going to come out documenting her life, she would want full hand in it, and she'd want it to be done with so much more care and understanding than these Neanderthals tried accomplishing.

In the end, the only reason I did not give it a 1 is because I made it all the way through it without vomiting, and surprisingly enough have seen a small handful of worse films. Britney Ever After, however, was a complete mess and useless effort on any and all levels.

Critters 4 (1992)
Expected the worst, still had a damn good time, 9 April 2017

The Critters series is my second favorite Horror/Sci-Fi-Thriller series after Scream and Tremors, just above Sleepaway Camp. I grew up watching the first three Critter movies as a kid, and remembered having fond memories of them. After recently reliving them all again, my memories were confirmed. The only entry I had never really seen or heard anything about was this one, and then after reading about how it's just the worst of the series and a bad movie overall, I was more than skeptical because I had been into the Critters series for their balance of fun horror elements as well as fresh Comedy, not leaning towards one genre or the other. The films all scaled the two perfectly, and I was not ready for a film that merely is comedic and just plain bad when it came to this series.

Well, while the movie is still my least favorite after all the others, it is nowhere near as bad a movie as everyone makes it out to be, especially since I went in expecting total tripe. I actually found it highly engaging, and exactly what I was looking for on my lazy off day. I'll give the movie all it's props first because it definitely flows like a Critter film, and even though it's set in space, the Critters have a nice, lengthy space station to travel abroad and wreak havoc (ring any bells?), but the setting doesn't become too boring or overused actually. It was a nice element this time around, even though "stuck on a spaceship in space" has been done to death like I said. It's back to the Critters roots, so it works. It's not like Jason or the Leprechaun flying around that have no business being there.

Also, another thing that help the movie along are the performances. Everyone was believable and fun to a point. Not one person stuck out as the culprit for "Worst Actor of the Movie". One thing I really enjoyed actually is how Critters 3 was the start of Leo DiCaprio, and here we get to see a young Angela Bassett! Someone who I had no prior knowledge was in the movie. I absolutely loved her too! She was probably the most likable character, being the only woman aboard the ship and having some pretty killer scenes and line deliverance. Another thing this movie has? Some fun critter kills! Especially one of the first deaths early on got a huge belly laugh out of me but also disgusted me a little at the same time, and I loved it! That's usually what all the Critters films bring to me in terms of joy. And above all, this movie was just entertaining.

Some downsides are none of the characters are very fleshed out. As much as all the cast tries to bring likability to them, just none of them are really that worthy of caring for except maybe of course Bassett's character and the full-time character of Charlie, but like I said that doesn't stop the cast from hamming it up and having fun in a lot of parts. And it's those character faults that lead to some pretty poor actions though and make the movie have those, "What the-?" or "Why are you doing that?" moments like all Horrors do, but they are few and far between, and course the plot is paper thin, but then again we're talking about the fourth entry in the Critters series here. Anybody expecting Citizen Kane or anybody that just doesn't know how to have a good time with this movie, why'd you view it in the first place?

Overall, it's just not that bad, especially when compared to the plethora of other low budget Horror out there. It's just super campy fun, all of the Critters movies are and I have not disliked a single one. The original is an underrated gem in my opinion, and if you are fan of it or the sequels and you are excited and/or skeptical about this film like I was, pop it on now... if you're in the mood now. You won't be sorry!

The newest Power Rangers movie delivers on all levels..., 26 March 2017

As another kid who grew up watching The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers every Saturday morning, collected and played with the action figures, pretended to be the Rangers battling crime, and has since carried on into my adult years the tradition of watching later series entries like In Space, Lost Galaxy, Time Force, and of course watching the two feature length films before this one numerous times, etc. I of course was excited to see this movie and knew I wanted to see it in theaters. I also had mixed feelings altogether about what they were going to do with a brand spanking new Power Rangers epic. I was completely elated after leaving the movie theater to find this film had satisfied me on every level.

I'll begin with the cons: The last act of the movie does feel a little rushed. Some of the Rangers are just not as likable as the originals they are trying to portray, (I'm looking at you Pink Ranger), and there are some comedic moments that feel a little out of place. But overall that's it for the cons.

The pros: Most of the Rangers pull their weight as the new and shining update of the classic five. I believe I personally enjoyed the newest editions of the Blue Ranger and Yellow Ranger played by RJ Cyler and Becky G respectively. Red Ranger will make you say at least five times to yourself, "Is that Zac Efron", but he plays the leader just fine. Ludi Lin was likable as the new Black Ranger, and is absolutely gorgeous. Naomi Scott, though she will never live up to Amy Jo Johnson as Kimberly Hart, also plays the part fine and moves the movie along well. Bryan Cranston is good as Zordon, and the updated Zordon isn't cheap or too techy, he fits. Bill Hader is a fun edition as Alpha 5, I enjoyed his comedic lines.

The shining performance of the movie is Elizabeth Banks. Her updated Rita Repulsa is fun, lively, creepy and she totally encompassed the essence of an updated Rita Repulsa. I literally lit up every time she came on the screen. Also, the new suits are amazing and the effects near the end in the battle sequence are top-notch. The story plays out well also. There's no real bad writing or downsides. I thought the edition of the Krispy Kreme joke was, as is, just a joke for the movie. It's not meant to be taken so seriously as some other reviewers have taken it so. Also, the story has a nice pace. It takes it's time letting us get to know all the new characters and though the end sequence as I said feels a little rushed, it still fits and altogether the movie works perfectly at being an homage to the original series and updated movie for newer fans.

The cameos in the end crowd got the biggest smile out of me. Overall, a very entertaining movie on all levels. Story wise, performance wise, action wise. I really was delighted to find out they brought a very successful Power Rangers rendition to the screen.

14 years later, My Big Fat Greek Wedding's still got it!, 16 December 2016

I had only recently seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding for the very first time and found it hilarious, enjoyable, charming fun. Every character fills up the screen with joyous energy and tons of charisma in all their lines and the movie altogether worked as being more than just a Rom-Com. Same thing goes for My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. Nothing feels like it has taken too long to come to screen. Immediately I was along for the ride as the characters began being reintroduced. It all just clicked and worked and became very enjoyable for the whole movie.

I will say, I was not impressed with the deliverance by Elena Kampouris. Her portrayal as the daughter was one of the only things I found not bad, but certainly didn't help the movie. Just any time she came on screen it was kinda meh. Also, the movie does get a little ahead of itself at times and rushed, and overall the first was a more genuine effort, but in it's fullness, this movie works completely as a sequel and stand alone work, and is on par with the first in terms of sheer enjoyment.

Nia Vardalos is believable and likable as usual, and wrote the movie well. What I found most enjoyable was that Andrea Martin got a bigger role than the previous movie. Any scene she comes onto she lights it up and immediately makes it better. I equally enjoyed all the family members in the first, but Aunt Voula was the shining star of this movie, for me at least. I highly enjoyed seeing more of her.

This was a complete success. 14 years later and this movie is as welcomed and comfortable as if it came out a year behind it's predecessor...

50x better than Neighbors..., 16 December 2016

Okay, so I went in to watch this movie completely knowing it was from the writers of Neighbors, a movie that I felt immensely robbed after sitting through the full portion of and that got 0 laughs out of me for the entirety of it's runtime. With that in mind, I was partly excited to see Mike and Dave because of Aubrey Plaza and Anna Kendrick as the opposite roles, whom I can easily say are the best part of the movie. Their friendship seems genuine and their characters hilarious and believable.

The story, what little there is, works fine for the film's purpose which is solely for laughs. (The title characters always make a mess of big family events and so they need wedding dates to keep them in check for their sister's wedding.) Simple enough story, and like I said, it works this time as all the characters know the part they are putting on well and just have fun with it and aren't trying to make the next comedic masterpiece, which was the problem with Neighbors. It took itself WAY too seriously. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is more laidback and believable, so the humor seems in it's right place rather than forced. There are some big laughs here if you can handle the film in it's most ludicrous of moments. I was rolling at some scenes!

Other features that made this movie likable are the supporting cast. Sugar Lyn Beard as the mousy sister is absolutely adorable and steals every scene she is meant to. Alice Wetterlund as the gay cousin Terry is immediately comfortable and flawless from the moment she comes on the screen. My favorite aspect of the movie is probably Plaza and Kendrick's counterparts to Efron and Devine's Mike and Dave. The girls are just as foolish and careless as the stars, but they are the ones meant to be pristine and sweet so the boys don't mess anything up. It makes for a great time. Both starlets are funny, charming and even witty in their deliverance when given the dumb humor to play with. I'd pay price of admission just to see Aubrey Plaza running full force to jump in front of a car again.

Enjoyable movie, pleasantly surprised. Not the next 10/10 Oscar winner, but certainly fun...

Lights Out (2016/II)
Has everyone lost their mind?, 12 December 2016

I'm sorry, but Boohbahs are 10x scarier than this piece of trash. When I finished this movie, I felt extremely disappointed and robbed. Lights Out has zero originality, zero scares and zero fulfillment. It's the equivalent of sitting and watching a blank screen for an hour and twenty minutes. After hearing how good of a time this creepshow was, and seeing the raving reviews, I felt something I hadn't felt for a Horror movie in a good while, genuine excitement. I was ready to see it with the idea that it will at least be entertaining and eerie, but the hype for this movie is ludicrous and overrated.

I have definitely seen worse. On a scale of 1-10, I give this movie a 3 because the acting is average, I jumped once and the movie at least is largely budgeted so it feels more professional. But that's the only redeeming qualities I can manage off the top of my head, and most of the movie just fails to come back to me as it it extremely forgettable. The story feels extremely outdated. I have seen and heard this story millions of times in numerous ways now, I'm over it. Diana was about as menacing and threatening as Scrappy Doo. Plus, she looks reminiscent of Samara from The Ring or mama from Mama. No original concept other than she's a black shadow. Ooooohh!!! So that way you can't see her when the lights out, I get it. SO SCARY!

You see nearly 100% of the scares coming, they are so predictable. The progression is slow and uninteresting. My only guess as to why everyone enjoyed this so much is because people are becoming dumber and easier to please nowadays, and hell if movies like Paranormal Activity can get so many people drooling and pissing themselves, pure boredom like this trite must fool everyone into believing it's enticing, fresh and spooky because there's a couple of silent shots of a shadow.

There are worse ghost stories. (See FeardotCom and Boogeyman.) But Lights Out is anti-climactic, boring, entirely unoriginal drivel that doesn't pay off in any way, and is easily in the worst 20 films I have seen from the past five years. For more recent Horrors that are better than this, address the following: Green Room, Hush, The Shallows, Don't Breathe, The Visit, 10 Cloverfield Lane...

I don't know if some just didn't get the movie..., 12 December 2016

It's fine if you didn't enjoy it, to each their own, but I find it highly implausible to call the main character a "creep" or talk about how she's morally corrupt. Come on. This movie is about how all people yearn for human connection, and it's not like Doris is present day Hitler. Sally Field plays an elderly woman who is very reserved and lonely to an extent, like all of us. The film mostly tries to convey how all people deserve love and care, even estranged elderly women, and it does so in a very fun and lighthearted manner, in my opinion.

Yes, Doris makes decisions that seem lacking in good character. She steals small items and stalks the man she is infatuated with, among other things. Do these actions make her unlikable as a person though? No. She is inherently a sweet and endearing woman with enjoyable characteristics. One of the best scenes is when she buys a CD just to get closer to her young crush and ends up actually enjoying the music and having a good time listening to it. She just wants to be loved, and damn it all I loved her to a tee. Sally Field fills the part wonderfully and creates a very enjoyable persona, after seeing the movie I don't see anyone that could have pulled it off more swimmingly.

This movie had me in sheer gut-busting laughter at a couple of scenes actually. I speak of Doris's long daydreams into her heartthrob of a co-worker on a daily basis. Had me rolling on the floor! And for a large portion of the movie, I was sporting a large grin on my face. It's very feel good, even in the most morose moments of the film. Sally Field steals the show obviously, but Max Greenfield is positively charming in the supporting role and seems very comfortable on screen with Field and all of their scenes are believable and work in the sense that you can feel Doris's aching need for love and above all, just attention. It's very moving and sweet.

Also, Greenfield is incredibly good looking and I don't see how someone could pass up being obsessed over those eyes, smile and body anyway. I can not blame Doris, at all. Altogether, Hello My Name is Doris was a wonderful ride. I had fun with it, and thought most everything about the movie was genuinely charming and heartwarming.

Life changing, 2 September 2015

It took me back that when I saw this in theaters I was so amazed by it. I enjoyed both the first two films, but this one, oh my god! By now the characters are welcomed friends, and the story is just super fresh and fun. The main enjoyable aspect here has to be the addition of Madame Dubois. She brings so much pizazz and spunk to this movie. What a devilishly hilarious antagonist. This one just really hit it out of the park: settings, jokes, characters and story-wise. The vibrant, colorful circus scene is enough to captivate someone.

Let's start off by saying that from the get go the humor is super quick and witty. I love the opening of Alex visioning everyone as much older and being stranded forever. The immediate transfer to Europe as the setting is brilliant and a perfect way to kick off the rest of the movie. Like I said, this movie would be absolutely nothing without Madame DuBois though. Pretty much from the second her character comes on screen, the movie is a non-stop action packed, jolting fun thrill ride that I am glad I had the pleasure of enjoying in theaters.

We also have the wonderful new addition of the circus crew. They are all incredibly likable with their own personalities and welcomed on the screen immediately. The story is fast paced and constantly changing it up, with lots of new great aspects. I enjoyed the love affair between King Julien and the bear on the bicycle, how all the relationships in the movie blossom and grow stronger actually.

There really is not a moment that Madagascar 3 is not pulling either pulling at the heartstrings, entertaining with flashy visuals, or causing laughter with it's outrageous characters, like the films before it did. Some more scenes that make this movie brilliant are the "Non Je Ne Regrette Rien" singing sequence that had me in tears the first time I saw it, as well as when Madama DuBois is first chasing them and completing unimaginable and unbelievable human feats like a mad Rhinocerous or something. I swear, the creators were so high when they wrote this.

It is all just in your face and random, and that completely worked for me. It is the highlight of the Madagascar series thus far. Great usage of characters, story, songs, everything. It is a completely sleek animation. Even the new update of "I Like to Move It" is funny, and not as annoying as many would think considering the marketing and public follow of it. So hilarious and fun from beginning to end, I recommend it to every individual for the goodness of their soul.

One of the best fireplaces out there!, 2 September 2015

It's like a real fireplace, but inside your television! You can always start it right back up again after it goes out. Perfect for snuggling up with a book, setting the mood for a family gathering or the holidays, or just getting really stoned and staring at the flames. You will have endless fun with the Crackling Fireplace edition of Fireplace for Your Home. Pay no attention to the ones with music. This is the real winner right here! All you need is the alluring flames and the sounds of the crackles to soothe you. Might need to use an accompanying space heater or electric blanket if you need that warm feeling though...

I could not get enough of this growing up, 2 September 2015

Definitely an immaculate collection. These music videos were a huge part of my childhood, and the songs and stories/sets still hold up today. Madonna is fabulous in all her different dresses and styles, and owns the screen. My favorites are "Open Your Heart", "Cherish", "Borderline", "Express Yourself" and "La Isla Bonita". "Oh Father" is an especially beautiful track and video. Of course there are her hits "Like a Virgin", "Vogue" and "Material Girl" to look forward to as well.

Every track is catchy and great though. I am glad I still have this gem on cassette and can bust it out at anytime. Fans of Madonna probably already know and love this series of tunes, but for anyone else interested, give it a try.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]