leplatypus

Page 1 of 79:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Presumed interesting (tv), 21 December 2014

Sentence : dull

Well, this is a strange movie : the movie starts without exposing the characters and after 30 minutes, i had the feeling that i skipped chapters by errors. They talk about characters and facts that you don't see so it's hard to make an idea to what happens. Then, the pacing was horrible as there is a lot of empty scenes (Harrison's family for example or flashbacks) for which i indeed skipped the chapters to give a punch. The ending was not ending anything and Harrison's final voice over is totally cryptic !

So, for a trial and thriller movie when you need clear, cut things, here it's all about confusion and bad editing ! Harrison acts good but his characters is unbelievable as he seems to be ignorant of his own behavior ! For those who looks for a more convincing trial of injustice, i will recommend Gavras' « Music box »…

Working movie (rental), 19 December 2014

This is a rather an original American movie because on two points: first, the main character is indeed down the ladder for one time. Sure America still doesn't seem to have factory workers but at least we escape the successful and wealthy characters that Hollywood keeps feeding us. More accurately, we have this kind here with Sigourney but this time, this upper class is seen for what it's really: a bitchy one! The second originality is that the hero isn't male but a woman! And what's funny is that woman does what she want from our Indy! I'm not really a fan of miss Griffith but here she was OK and as it's a 80s movies where fashion was inspired, diverse and not assimilated with brands, it's very fresh. In addition, Joan Cusak is this perfect and eternal eccentric friend, identical to her « shameless » character 3 decades before. Harrison is his usual self in other words a soft- spoken buddy but full of kindness and rightness at close hands. In conclusion, it's a really good movie because it has a real moving story and the perfect cast to tell it (i'm not speaking about the one that wears Sigourney :-)

The original one arm Gerard (tv), 18 December 2014

I expected a dull action movie and in fact, it's rather good. First, the choice of the Chicago region is cool as it mixes the nature and an authentic city, traits that can't afford NYC (no nature) or LA (no city). Next, Harrison is always excellent playing an overtaken but pugnacious doctor (see « frantic », « what lies… ») and Jones brings a surprising but cool side to a unpleasant job. Sure, the story has a lot of improbabilities (why didn't Harrison manage to prove his innocence at the trial for example) and the last sequence in the hotel is a bit boring. But the idea of this running innocent man is really punchy and it's easy to understand why it was a TV show at the beginning.

Sabrina (1995)
« Ca Brilla » (rental), 14 December 2014

This is the french pun for « it shined ». At first, the movie makes me cringe as it is, as usual for an American movie, a story about characters in upper society. It was even more dull that it sets up a romance with the daughter of the driver, so the low class. But as the cast is really cool and talented and that the characters aren't self-indulging or despicable and that the director offers a slow, romantic place, well, at the end, it was rather good. For a 90s movie, you have the feeling it's a 60s movie and the Paris depicted there is indeed the eternal (old) city of lights ! Harrison proves that he is among the best actor ever as he can play a lonely tycoon as if he had been one during his life!

This K19 sinks at deadly knots (tv), 12 December 2014

First, my binary mind just don't support this kind of American movies that applause the bravery of defeated enemies. Like "Iwo Jiwa", I found them inappropriate: the history of Russia should be told by Russians and if Americans wants to refresh war movies, they should start by telling us battles they have lost! Next, this movie is just dreadfully boring: Maybe I suffer from cabin's fever, but a whole movie in a submarine isn't my kind of entertainment! This is surely not "red October" and here, the action is very limited: preparation, drills and accident! At last, there is Harrison and Liam at the helm because without them, it would have been just unwatchable! But this extraordinary meeting just turns out a big disappointment. The movie is badly directed, without rhythm, scope or score! It's paying too much attention on technological details that I had to fast-forward a lot of times! Now, with this horrible movie, I just wait for the Russian version of that story and at least, I'm sure that it can't be more boring!

This isn't Harrison who is crippled but the script (rental), 11 December 2014

The movie is rather well directed, well scored, well played with a special mention for the daughter and the trainer but the story is just unrealistic. I know it has been written by mister Abrams (who does a cameo) but the story he wants us to believe has nothing to do with the real life. As too many Hollywood desk writers, the characters have no connection with the audience. Here, it's not the courageous cop or the brave doctor but the well-known brilliant and successful lawyer! We should tell those writers that there are thousand jobs outside to pick to tell a story! With such a dumb choice, the emotion is clearly washed up as Harrison gets the best doctor, the best clinic, the best house, the best school for the daughter, the best hotel and so on… His rebuilding as a new man is a good idea but considering the starting point, I really don't care after. About Harrison, he is always this formidable soft-spoken guy who is right and doesn't let go! But as I don't like to watch him play a bad guy, I don't like more to see him suffer. Finally, I have strong reservations before watching it and after watching it, it confirms that I shouldn't have picked it up!

The Presidents (2005) (TV)
*** 150th anniversary *** I should have waited for tomorrow and review about Berlin wall fall *** 25th anniversary *** (web), 8 November 2014

On 8 November 1864, Lincoln got elected for a second term. Thus, i review this related documentary exactly one hundred and fifty years after it. As you can see in my account, this time equals the JFK assassination (50 years) plus Titanic sinking (100 years). This way, i can grasp what the past is really about and better understand what we can call modern time. Thus, with this video, i know that 150 years is also the invention of photography and more tragically, the start of technological (mass destructive) wars as the Secession War was indeed the first conflict in the world to use those new modern weapons (rifles, guns, canons,...).

The highlight of this documentary is thus its painting of the Gettysburg battle. A good point also was the explanation of the fight pro/against slavery (even if America being a true Republic, this question should never have existed: a free state is a state without slaves)! But those two tales point the failure of this documentary as it mixes thus American history and Presidents!

We are so brainwashed about them that we don't realize that we must distinguish what people do and what do the elected man in the oval office. So instead of mixing everything in a confuse time-line, this documentary should have focus only on the acts of POTUS and forget the gossips about their private life as well! Here, you got the false feeling that incompetents presidents have started the secession war and that godly Lincoln has ended it as well as slavery! History is not so clear-cut, so easy because it's the result of billions individual decisions...

Zygomatic Parc (tv), 7 November 2014

Well, if it wasn't for Jamie Lee, i think i would never have watched this movie and it would have been unfortunate as it's indeed very funny.

The pitch seems to point the opposite but it has some crazy characters interacting in a a lot of mad situations. I like this kind of humor as it's more than just spoof or jokes and needs a very detailed imagination. In addition, along the accurate clichés about eccentric Americans and uptight British, the movie is also a witty analysis of actual family entertainment like a Zoo! The new methods of management are truly strange as they lead to anything except making money and closing the zoo! Next, the casting is just extraordinary as each one just acts their best. So it's a excellent appetizer before the famous fish…

Witness (1985)
Witness this compassionate movie with the most compassionate actor and an amazing future stars (rental), 23 October 2014

I have a moving story with this movie. I first watched it by glimpses when I traveled America coast to coast this summer 2014 with 6 friends in a big tourism bus! I think our guide put it the day we did Cleveland – Niagara Falls. As I'm hard-of-hearing and there weren't subtitles on the screens, I just couldn't hear clearly what was said and so the projection was useless. Next, after 23 days of travel, it was broadcast the day I came back but I had to postpone it again as I had to get up early the next day to go to work again! Now, as I begin my Harrison's run, I just can't pick another movie!

Now, i can say that it's still an excellent testimony about my travel as it tells really the America I have discovered: a farming country in the east with endless green meadows, a land of liberty and spirituality! This Amish country just couldn't exist in France as my fellows are intolerant against believers and our administration just can't let citizens do what they just want to do! In a way, this movie prefigures « the last samurai » as it's about a modern man getting into another culture and giving as well a sense to his life. Harrisson was the best pick ever as he has this amazing quality to be as remote and distant as warmly and caring. In addition, his partners will have a tremendous career after : « top gun », « lethal weapon », « mars attacks », « lord of the rings »… This movie just confirms that Weir is a top-notch director with fundamental opinions : compassion, technology and faith.

It offers also one of the best scene I have seen about faith when the Amish Grandpa explains guns to the kid : the total prohibition of guns and killing is indeed the best, clear statement to consider life as sacred and thus the only criteria to judge a « good » guy from a « bad » one. Nowadays, we find logic to kill the bad guys but I disagree : As bad guys want already to annihilate good guys, with this reverse propaganda, at the end, everyone will kill the other for a reason, so everyone is one and the same ! So as Grandpa says, one man can't indulge the right to judge that other has to die (it's God stuff) thus nobody can kill and indeed weapons are devil's tools !

Octopussy (1983)
Septemstela (tv), 21 October 2014

I rate it with 7 stars just because among the 3 Moore Bond I have seen in TV last weeks, this is the best one. It's not extraordinary however but it's the only one to get my attention from start to finish: it's a well balanced plot between cold war and megalomaniac, the girls are pretty especially this Swedish babe, the exoticism is full-time with Berlin, India and the action sequences are not from grandpa time and on contrary prefigure the future Indiana Jones (the train) or Cameron (the plane) extravaganzas! And last not least, it's full of dry, cold fun as only Englishmen can do without being ridiculous. It's a pity we don't have more movies in India and strangely they seem to come altogether (this Bond, Indy 2, Ghandi, Passage to India)..

Page 1 of 79:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]