leplatypus

Page 1 of 115:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Houseguest (1995)
a so-so comedy (web), 17 April 2017

If the idea of someone hiding in a family to escape problems is funny, the story written around is not amazing: the scenes come up one after another without any sense and it's pretty much the same stuff every time (Sinbad does whatever and it pays off). Sure i laugh every 5 minutes because there is always a good line or a funny situation but overall, this kind of non stop talking clown gives me headaches! The other thing that disturbs me is that the family is the new brand of upper class, with the usual depressive teen girl and the big mansion... When i was young, the families look like mine (ET, Goonies, Poltergeist, Twin Peaks). As it's already there in Home Alone, i think that the difference is about coast: in the east, family has big brick houses while in the west, it's more pavilion. At last, if i rate 4 instead of 7, it's because of the poor ending: suddenly, the movie becomes a lesson, it's about redemption and it spoils everything... By the way, Kim is nearly invisible here as a rare mother neglecting her children for work!!!

NB: and his pink-green sport-wear is just ugly !!!

What a hard job to be emperor (dad), 16 April 2017

I don't know one who finished the job quietly and this Chinese one got the luck to not be killed at least! The movie doesn't make him an amazing person but his fate to live locked and as a puppet is rather sad: it's true that the production is really sumptuous all the more than it's the real locations. The pace is rather fluid and clear so you keep interested in the events: It helps too that we can recognize a lot of faces (O'Toole, the two Gremlins, Twin Peaks, Palanquin) and this kind of huge historical production was always useful to better understand the world we live in! In all cases, it's much better than the awful biopic we got today!

Last Exit to Earth (1996) (TV)
Space Kitsch (web), 15 April 2017

For those who thinks that TOS, Space 1999 are funny, they should be in heaven with this very low budget Scifi flick: so the costumes, sets, special effects are terribly cheap but beyond, the story and characters are totally hilarious: desert female civilization with no male reproduction, time travel spaceships, green hands for curing,... However it's shot and played with 100% confidence and highly seriously... In a way, it reminds me also of the Japanase shows and animes in which you find a fresh, dynamic, one of a kind Scifi... For sure, Kim is the essential angelic presence to make it watchable and i really wonder how she picked this script???

Just insupportable (dad), 13 April 2017

Sure the project is honorable and courageous to kick dictators and alert about the oppressed but a movie is not a political work but an artistic one: honestly i tried to watch it but after 20 minutes of unfunny jokes, heavy pantomimes and silly grimaces, i had enough... The production looks cheap or the sets are really badly build, the scenes are tedious, endless, ... so that's really not my kind of fun and it's really discourages me of watching any Charlot movie after that! For the same subject, prefer the comics Maus!

Paterson (2016)
# 60 : As usual, when a director is labeled Author, the movies are overrated (web), 11 April 2017

The movie starts well with a worker getting up early to drive a bus all along the day before getting back to his gentle and caring wife at home and going out with the dog. So Monday is cool even if his poetic inspiration and discussion ring already false. Next day, it's the same and it's repeated 5 times until the week-end! So it's pretty boring: If Goldsifeth illuminates the movie by her humanity, her big heart and her B/W artistic feeling, her sluggish boyfriend is just too much passive: he is like sleeping all the time, has nearly no reaction... So for me, this 2 hours movie was reduced to 30 minutes (all GF scenes) as all the rest was just insipidly shot! And don't tell me it's about poetry or deeply inspired because it's just a plain copy of everyday life...

King Kong (1933)
The King is dead ! Long live the King! (dad), 11 April 2017

I saw this classic while i was a kid and my first feelings still continue today while i'm an adult: the clash of civilization / nature is really gripping and the violence of every side is frightening… It's amazing to see that in the 30s, the movies language was already finished because except for the special effects, this movie equals (and sometimes beats) all current productions: the story is clear, direct, intriguing, the cast is talented and the characters totally recognizable and there is a real, deep craft to build the sets (i really like when they are climbing down the cliff and you can see on the horizon the boat and the big door)! The score really supports what happens on screen, either action, romance or communication... As for the effects, this movie is the proof that CGI are not the miracle: computers weren't invented then however King Kong (and its bestiary) looks alive and with feelings! You are afraid for Ann and then you are afraid for King Kong... In a way, there is as much emotion and care here than with the best Cameron or LOTR trilogy! So it's really a masterpiece and each year the movie gets older, it adds value as this happens in an America more and more distant... For sure today dumb people would criticize the racial prejudices as whatever you can write is considered as an attack!

# 47 : Twice as many Géraldine (tv), 9 April 2017

This same evening was also the great debate with the 11 presidential candidates but clearly Geraldine means more: after sixteen years, she still charms me with her melodic voice and good manners, faraway of the usual indecent showoff all other actresses are into: here she plays two parts, as twin sisters loving the same man. The scenes in which she speaks to her other self are funny and she is excellent to give us two really different attitudes between the cool sister and the rejected one. Thanks to her, this is the first time i watch this cop show: it's a bit like Colombo with a really special talkative female cop and her candid assistant: the criminal plot is weak and the team has not much flair but with Géraldine, the episode gains in value and was really enjoyable!

Juda's Bills (dad), 9 April 2017

this movie is a bit like Fargo: rednecks try to scheme in winter land except that here it's not funny at all but rather very dark: the movie starts very well: this rural country under the snow is magnificent, the two brothers and buddy are original, wife as new mother is tender and the discovery is thrilling. However things deteriorate quickly (following wife advice) and tension between the guys gets up as they are breaking apart on their own! It ends on a nightmare and it's really heavy... So i suppose Sam did indeed a good movie as i wasn't feeling good and it's true that all the cast is excellent: Late Bill Paxton, Gone Bridget and Thornton has at least a part for which we can support him... and Cole as bastard as ever!

Brazil (1985)
Maybe it's a Dystopian future but it's exactly my present (vhs), 8 April 2017

This movie is about a small, honest, helpful civil servant crushed by his family, his hollow work, a crazy world and who can escape his pitiful life with fantasies about a dream girl! But that's my life in Paris, especially since 2015: like Sam, i'm a push-paper in an office; Paris is really like this dark city, with tiny flats, pollution, incredibly poor suburbs and no sun! France is the paradise of paper administration: we have regulation for everything and largely for nothing and since a few horror attacks, we live in emergency state to allow government protect us against an handful but terrible terrorists! And for sure, while the common people is suffering, the Parisian Bobos have a disconnected luxurious life, totally hollow and indecent! In that context, i understand totally the character of Sam, all the more than, like him, Kim gives me electrical shocks every time she appears on screen! I understand that Giliam wasn't satisfied with her but honestly, she has something special! So i'm really amazed by the powerful visions of this movie: to put so many real things about our modern life, to unveil its huge inequalities, profound stupidity with such comedy, romance and acidity, it's totally unbelievable and this is so exceptional to get it that it has not been repeated since!

The pianist (dvd), 8 April 2017

Another exotic movie that my parents picked up years ago that able me to travel now for free in my sofa. Here, in France, we have always considered China as dumb rice eaters, stupid communists and faraway behind the prestigious French who have nearly created everything for the world! However when you got to China, you realize that you have the oldest civilization in the world, with amazing artists and artisans, filled with as much brilliant philosophers and awful politics than in France! So for sure, things are different but being different is not an error! The movie starts like Empire of the Sun, with Japanese in Shanghai during WWII with the same rock bridge and square! The story is a moving story between a father and his daughter: the actresses for the daughter are particularly excellent. It's funny to see that the movie has all french cinema flaws: characters thinking alone, long tedious shoots of background... So the movie rhythm is all broken and uselessly long. With more cuts, it would have been a classic and regarding my introduction, it's ironic that the family settles finally in ... Paris!

Page 1 of 115:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]