Scooby-Doo (2002)
Scooby rocks!, 16 June 2002

I watched Scooby Doo, the cartoon, only with medium level interest as a child, so I went (with my wife and kids) mostly as a kick. Matthew Lillard is brilliant as Shaggy (how is that possible? His impersonation skills were flawless!). The cartoonimation of Scooby and Scrappy Doo were interesting but were so 3-D rendered that they did not match the original 2-D versions very well. The plot was reasonably interesting and twisted. No mere disgruntled janitor in a spooky disguise-- there's some evil genius at work. There were some minor plot issues with Velma, Fred, and Daphne having much greater insecurity issues than in the cartoons, but experimenting with such ideas is very cartoon-like. The set and cast worked very well. There's some biological humor with Shaggy and Scooby that I did not expect, but the last bit that they did helped. If you're prudish about gas-passing and belching, there are about 4 minutes you can do without, but they seem very much in character.