Sargebri

Page 6 of 67: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Was Great, But Getting Mediocre, 6 March 2005

I first got hooked on this show when I was in high school and I still keep up with it. Unfortunately, it is becoming so repetitive that it is getting boring. Of course, the one person that will keep me coming back to it is Kim Zimmer and her wonderful portrayal of Reva. Reva Shayne probably is the strongest female character on soaps next to Susan Lucci's portrayal of Erica Kane. However, the main beef I have against it is that it now the show is beginning to lose touch with reality and everything has to revolve around some mystery that involves every major family in town. I hope one day that this show will regain its focus and that it will get back to being the great show that it was.

The Producers of Fear Factor and Dog Eat Dog Should Watch this Show, 2 March 2005

This is truly one of the classic game shows from the golden era of television. This show is definitely better than shows like "Fear Factor" and "Dog Eat Dog", which to me take the premise of "Beat the Clock" to a rather unwatchable extreme. At least the contestants of BTC didn't humiliate themselves or put themselves in great danger as they tried to win prizes every week. You really could tell that even if they lost on the show that they still had fun and really had a good time and it was for the whole family. The other two shows just seem like they take pride in trying to sicken as many people as they possibly can and they also seem to take great pride in humiliating people and putting them in all sorts of dangerous situations. Hopefully, a new generation can see why "Beat the Clock" was so beloved and then question why such garbage as the other two shows are still on the air.

The Second Best Film in the Series, 17 February 2005

This has to be one of my favorite films in the whole James Bond series. This film has all the elements that made the series so great, great action, great locations and, of course, gorgeous women. Perhaps the thing I really loved about it is the fact that we finally get to see Bond come face to face with the man who would become his chief tormentor in some of the better Bond films, Ernst Stavro Blofeld. However, the thing I really enjoyed about the film is the fact that we have two of Toho's most famous actresses in it, Akiko Wakabayashi and, my favorite, Mie Hama. They pretty much showed that they can do more than just run from Godzilla and that they could pretty much hold their own with the greatest spy in motion picture history.

Better Than Average 50's Sci-Fi Flick, 10 February 2005

This has to definitely be one of the better science fiction films of the mid to late 1950's. The only thing that hurts this film is the lousy title. The thing that really impressed me about it is the fact that this film isn't a typical B-movie. In fact, this film gives you a very thought provoking story as well as what another person said, a kind of poignancy that you never would expect from this type of film. In fact, you pretty much feel that towards the end of the film that Marge is actually falling for the alien posing as her beloved Bill. Also, you pretty much feel sorry for the impostor at the end as he is beginning to experience the emotions that he never had, especially love. Unfortunately, the film is undone by its typically lousy 1950's B-movie title. However, once you look past the title and look at how good the story is, you will see that this film is a pretty decent film.

Fizzled in the End, 6 February 2005

This was one of the most memorable shows of the 1970's. One thing that made it great was the interaction between Kotter and the Sweathogs. Gabe Kaplan really helped create a perfect balance between having a great comic show as well as dealing with some current topics such as drug abuse, teen pregnancy and gang violence. However, the show really went into sharp decline after suffering the double whammy of the departures of Kaplan and John Travolta. Also, it would have been interesting to see Vinnie, Freddie, Juan and Arnold graduate and see how they would have done in the real world as it was originally planned in the final season. Instead, we got a new Sweathog in Beau and the chemistry between the boys was forever ruined. This show should have ended on a higher note than it did.

Probably the Greatest Film on Boxing, Period, 29 January 2005

This has to be one of, if not, the finest films ever done on the sport of boxing. The fight scenes are great, but its the gentler moments between Hillary Swank and Clint Eastwood that help make this film what it is. However, the true glue of this film is Morgan Freeman. He definitely provides a true center as the narrator of the story. It is his gentle nature that helps make this film an all time classic. Also, this is a great story about relationships. You pretty much can see this as Frankie pretty much establishes with Maggie, the relationship that he wishes that he could have had with his own daughter. This relationship really comes to a head especially at the end.

The other thing that I really liked about the film is that unlike most boxing films, it doesn't end with the big bout that sees her win the title and become champion. Instead, it uses that scene to pretty much set up the real strong part of the film. This film is definitely a great film not only on boxing, but on relationships as well.

Okay Version of a Stage Classic, 15 January 2005

I think I might be in the minority of the commentators, but I really wasn't as impressed with this film as the majority of the commentators. It was a visually spectacular film and the songs were great, but I am not really a fan of films where the majority of the script is sung instead of spoken. Also, I guess that for years I had heard so much of the stage version that when I finally got to see the film it really was a letdown. I think that if the film had come out when it was originally scheduled to in 1990 instead of fourteen years later, maybe I would have been more impressed. However, films like this aren't my cup of tea. Also, fans of the stage version might be disappointed, especially if you are going to compare Gerald Butler to the man who is identified with the Phantom, Michael Crawford. However, once you get past the obvious comparisons, and if you are into opera, you might be in for a pretty good experience.

Manpower (1941)
I Am a Lineman for the County, 28 December 2004

This is film pretty much has soap opera written all over it. The love triangle between Robinson, Raft and Dietrich has been in every soap from "Guiding Light" to "General Hospital". Robinson really has a good turn as the soft hearted and naive Hank and Raft is great as the sensible Johnny, who tries to show Hank that his marriage to Kay isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Dietrich also puts in a fine performance as Kay. Frank McHugh is his usual wonderful self adding the comic relief to this soap. However, the ending is pretty standard at the end when Johnny and Kay walk off together pretty much to console each other and to start life anew.

Also, look for an early performance by Eve Arden. She plays one of the b-girls in the club in the latter scenes of the film.

Still Relevant Today, 26 December 2004

This is one of the truly great films to have ever been released in the post war era. The themes of wondering how different the world might have been if you weren't born is still a recurring theme in many films as well as television series, but this one really does it with a even greater poignancy than most that try to imitate it. However, the film really gives a great message that no matter how unimportant you feel, your life, for better or worse, touches each person that that you come in contact with. James Stewart is perfectly cast as George really show's why he is the perfect everyman in this film. Also, Donna Reed is wonderful as Mary, the love of his life. The two of them really convey the love that George and Mary felt for one another what made the relationship between the two of them special. I also loved the fact that it pretty much pulled no punches when dealing with what probably was the touchy subject of suicide. This film is truly one of the all time greats.

A True Classic, 24 December 2004

This is truly one of the great musicals to ever grace the silver screen. Between the great song, the dance numbers and the chemistry between Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire, this film really is one of the the all time classics. What really makes it great is that it pretty much plays like a great Broadway review that uses the different holidays as an excuse to display the individual talents of each of the film's stars. However, the thing that this film will truly be remembered for is the fact that it introduced one of the all time classic song's to the world, "White Christmas".

Another thing that makes this film so beloved is that it came out during a time when America needed somewhat of a diversion, World War II. This film helped to give people something to put smiles on their faces as the whole world was going to hell. At least for two hours, this film helped America to forget its troubles and put a smile on everyone's faces.