Sargebri

Page 5 of 67: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

A Bert Gordon Film Without a B.I.G. Monster, 20 June 2005

This is probably the only decent film that Bert I. Gordon ever did in his career. The story film is full of tension as we see the protagonist, Geronimo Minelli, not only hunting down the bomber, but he must also try to save the life of the creepy rapist who witnessed his second bombing. Vince Edwards does a pretty good job playing Minelli and Chuck Connors is good as Dorn, the title bomber. Connors really shows how much he really wants to get back at the people he feels has wronged him, and goes about his "work" with such cold, unemotional efficiency. However, Neville Brand steals the film as the rapist. Brand showed why he was one of the more popular villains in film with his disturbing performance. Its a shame that this picture isn't shown on television anymore.

"Flo" (1980)
A Pretty Decent Attempt, 17 June 2005

This was a pretty decent attempt to spin off one of the more popular sitcom characters in television history into her own show. This to me could be seen as almost a redneck hybrid of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" and a show that came out a few years later, "Cheers". You pretty much got a look into Flo's world as she dealt with not only the crazies at her roadhouse, but with her domineering mother and her much more reserved little sister. The only thing that might have hurt it was the fact that the show didn't feature characters who were closer in personality to the "Alice" cast to help balance out Flo's wilder personality, much like Alice and Vera did. However, this still was a decent effort and its too bad it was so short lived and was never really given a chance to develop.

Light Years Ahead of the American Version, 12 May 2005

After the success of the Americanized version of Godzilla (aka. Gojira), Toho decided to team up with ABC for what was supposed to be a joint Japanese/American kaiju eiga. Of course, that deal fell apart, but Toho went ahead and created this film. However, this didn't stop a company by the name of Crown International from taking this film and butchering it by cutting out much of the footage shot by Ishiro Honda and making hack Myron Healy in the lead as a Navy commander who tries to find a way to desalinate water and winds up waking up the monster. That version also does away with one of Akira Ifukube's finest scores. Thankfully, the original version of the film has been released on DVD and now Americans can finally see it the way it was intended to be shown.

As for the film itself, it is an okay kaiju eiga. The monster is not as well rounded as Godzilla, Rodan or Mothra. In fact, Varan (or Baran as it is known in Japan) almost seems as though it is a throwaway due to the fact that it probably was intended for a one time appearance (although it does make a brief cameo in Destroy All Monsters). Also, the cast, with the exception of Honda favorites Akihiko Hirata and Yoshio Tsuchiya, is mainly made up of mainly Toho's second line actors. The other thing that made me somewhat disappointed with the film was the fact that it used a lot of stock footage. In fact, if you look closely at some of the battle scenes, many of them were borrowed from Godzilla (aka. Gojira) However, this film is still a much better version than the hatchet job we were treated with for years.

Decent Grade B Film, 7 May 2005

This is definitely one of the better giant monster on the loose films of its era. This film could be seen as a combination of two types of films. One genre it borrows from are the various films that tried to cash in on the then new craze of rock and roll. Of course, in those films the kids are crazy about it while the parents hate it. The hater in this case is the father of the first victim, who blames budding rock and roller Chase for the disappearance of his son. The other genre it borrows from are the "giant monster on the loose" films that were also popular in those days. The only thing that makes this film different is that they don't blame the gila's growth on radiation, but on a change in its diet. The only thing I didn't like about this film was the sappy story about Chase trying to earn enough money to help his crippled little sister and his mom. Other than that, it was a pretty good film.

Good Invasion Flick From Toho, 28 April 2005

This is a pretty decent invasion film. This time around, Honda seems to have been inspired by the films "War of the Worlds" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and does a good job in conveying a lot of themes that pretty much permeate a lot of his films, fear of nuclear war and the world unifying for a common cause. Also, Akihiko pretty much built on his portrayal of the tragic hero that sacrifices himself at the end to save humanity and did his usual good job.

The only complaint I have about the film is the fact that the appearance of Moguera takes place too early in the film and his destruction is much too early. They do return him to the end, but I would have preferred to see him as the weapon of last resort that the aliens use to try to deliver the crushing blow. Other than that, this is a pretty good movie.

Why?, 20 April 2005

This short lived series was a lame attempt at trying to make money off of a classic film. The cast of this show never lived up to the standard the original cast set with the film. In fact, Dean Cameron's portrayal of Spicolli never came anywhere close to the standard Sean Penn set. The only saving grace of this show was the fact that Ray Walston came aboard to play the part of Mr. Hand. At least he brought a little bit of the charm that made his wickedly funny performance one of the highlights of the film. The same can be said of Vincent Schiavelli as Mr. Vargas. Unfortunately, this show isn't one tenth as funny or as relevant as the film that inspired it.

Classic 50's B Science Fiction Pic, 19 April 2005

This is one of the more memorable science fiction films that came out during the 1950's. In fact, footage of this film has been used in everything from serious drama's to Three Stooges shorts. It pretty much is a decent, if standard, film. The performances are pretty much wooden and the story is pretty much similar to every alien invasion picture that was released during this era. However, the thing that saves it from being a total waste are the spectacular special effects by the master Ray Harreyhausen. Harryhausen confirms in this film why he is regarded as the master of stop motion animation and is one of the true craftsmen of his era. His work puts all of today's computer animation to shame and show's why he was, and still is, a true craftsman.

The Black Beach Party, 1 April 2005

This had to be one of the funnier comedies of the early 1990's. It helped to create more positive images of young black teens rather than showing the more negative aspects. Most of the films about young blacks up until then had been about them either being in gangs or on drugs. At least in this film you see the kids getting into mischief without getting into any real trouble. However, the only negative thing I have to say about the film is not about the film itself, but about the seemingly endless series of sequels that seemed to follow. To me the only the first film should be seen and not the sequels because they pretty much undermined the quality of the first film. Also, the series almost seemed to become an African-American version of the "Beach Party" films, where there pretty much was no plot and just gave the actors an excuse to party. Other than that, this is still a good film.

Another note about this film. The thing that really stood out about the film was the performance of comedian Robin Harris as Kid's father. His performance pretty much helped to sell the film for me. Unfortunately, a few months after the film was released Harris died from an apparent heart attack at the much too young age of 36 and just as he was about to achieve stardom. So, this film, while enjoyable, is also a very bittersweet experience.

"Seinfeld" (1989)
Overrated, 17 March 2005

I'm sorry to be one of the few dissenting votes on here, but this has to be one of the most overrated shows to ever grace the small screen. I guess this show is an acquired taste and I have never acquired the taste for it. The characters are not that likable and they pretty much are the stereotypical whining New Yorkers. Also the situations they get into aren't at all funny. Maybe if I were a New Yorker or if I were a fan of Jerry Seinfeld's stand up act I would understand why this show has such a following. Unfortunately, I am neither and I doubt if I ever will be. If you want a great situation comedy about New Yorkers look at "All in the Family" or "Taxi".

A Product of its Time, 15 March 2005

This show was definitely a product of its time. You have the mother who always wore a dress, even while she was doing housework, the stern, but loving father, and, of course, the two boys who would always get into trouble no matter how good their intentions were. This show pretty much reflected the values of American society at the time and did everything it could to avoid controversy like every other show that was on during that time. However, this does not take away from the fact that it was one of the funniest shows of its era.

Also, this show can almost be seen as an updated version of the "Our Gang" comedies. Beaver was the quintessential mischievous kid and Wally was his comic foil. Also, who could ever forget Eddie Haskell. He was probably the biggest weasel in television history.