Sargebri

Page 3 of 67: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A Preview of Things to Come, 8 August 2006

This is one of the funniest movies of the early 1970's. The story, the acting as well as the characters helped to make this a great film. In many ways this film was a preview of things to come due to the fact that the very next year with the premier of Shaft, the era of the "blaxploitation" film would begin. Also, you have to wonder if the team who created the Lethal Weapon series were somewhat inspired by this due to the fact that characters of Gravedigger and Coffin are somewhat reminiscent of Briggs and Murtaugh from that series. However, the thing that really made this fun was the brief appearance of Redd Foxx playing a character that was not dissimilar from the character that would earn him his biggest fame, Fred Sanford. This is definitely a lost classic.

A Great Fantasy, 29 July 2006

This is a great little fantasy that I first saw in the mid-1970's. I first saw this on a local station out here and I was captivated by the story. Some of the elements of the film somewhat reminded me of "Scooby Doo", but this film pretty much stands on its own. It is too bad that this film isn't shown on television anymore or that it has never been released on DVD in this country. To me this would not only be popular among people of all ages, but it would be a great way to introduce children to anime due to the fact that it is more of a family story and it isn't as serious as many of the latter day films of the genre. This is definitely a lost classic.

A Great Fairy Tale, 29 July 2006

I first saw this film in the mid-1970's and I really enjoyed it. It came at the time I was first introduced to such Japanese exports as Speed Racer and Kimba, as well as all the Godzilla films. The thing that really made me enjoy it was the story about the young protagonist's quest to free the village of his birth from the evil wizard and his love for the young girl that turned out to be the wizard's daughter. It is just too bad that this film has never been released on DVD. Not only would I enjoy watching it once again, but I think that this film would be enjoyed by younger kids as well. In fact, this film is probably a good introduction for younger viewers to the world of Japanese anime.

Makes Ed Wood Look Like John Ford, 11 June 2006

This film has gone down in history as one of the worst films in history and I can see why. To me it looks as if the producers had two different films in mind and decided to combine the two into one horrific mess. First you have the story about the aliens who come to Earth to kidnap our women and use them as "breeding stock to re-populate their planet". Next you have the story about the android whose space capsule crash lands in Puerto Rico and goes on a murderous rampage. Both those plots if done separately would have made rather bad individual movies. However, together, the two stories make this an even bigger bomb. Also, not only is the plot horrendous, but who was the genius that thought about adding a couple of pop tunes to the film. The two songs, "That's the Way Its Got to Be" and "To Have and Hold" were very inappropriate for the scenes they were inserted into. However, the acting was what really stood out like a sore thumb. Even though many of the cast would go on to have workable careers in films and television, I doubt that they would still put this film on their resume.

Also, one thing that I have noticed while viewing the film is the somewhat lesbian subtext. The way Princess Marcuzan looks at the first captive Earth girl almost makes you think you were going to look at a little girl on girl action once she was "purified".

However, even though this is a very bad film, it still can be seen as a guilty pleasure. In fact, this film definitely was geared to the drive in crowd.

Death Drug (1978)
The 70's Version of Reefer Madness, 14 May 2006

When I first saw this film, it was when I was 13 and it was shown under the alternate title "Whack Attack". This was supposed to be one of those films with a strong anti-drug message. Unfortunately, this comes off more like one of those films that would get released straight to high school health classes to warn of the dangers of drugs. The acting in it was marginal at best and it relied very heavily on scare tactics, which it didn't need since anyone with half a brain knows that PCP is one of the most dangerous drugs that has ever been unleashed. No wonder Phillip Michael Thomas had to wait five more years before his star making role in Miami Vice. If I were a young actor, I wouldn't put this film on my resume. To me, a straight documentary would have been more effective rather than have a bunch of actors act out a very predictable story with a predictable ending. However, the ending with the addict's son witnessing someone selling whack while visiting the grave of his father who was killed as a result of the drug. That probably was the most effective part of an ineffective movie.

Sad Way to End a Great Series, 31 March 2006

As I have said in the past, the Matt Helm series was one of the better series of spy spoofs in the history of filmdom. Unfortunately, this, the last entry in the series, does not live up to the fun of the other films. This was not a good film. The big mistake was that it seems overcrowded with various characters, especially Nancy Kwan, who should have been in a separate movie as an adversary for Helm. Sharon Tate is fairly good in this film, but she isn't as interesting as the other ladies who Dean Martin played off of in the previous films. At least Ann-Margaret played a somewhat flighty girl who was smarter than she appeared in the second film and Janice Rule was more or less an equal to Helm in the third film. Also, wasn't she supposed to be playing a British agent in this film? Someone should have stepped in and told her to start using a British accent. She pretty much sounded like she always did. This definitely ended the series on a bad note.

A Classic Farce, 12 March 2006

This is definitely one of the greatest farces in the history of film. Of course, this could only come from the mind of one of the greatest masters of farce, Mel Brooks. The whole idea of purposely putting on a flop to make money could only come from Brooks' mind and not only that, to have the plot revolve around Adolph Hitler is still very shocking to this day. However, Brooks pulled it off and created a classic. Also, the casting of this film was sheer genius. Zero Mostel is perfect as Max and Gene Wilder as Leo was genius as well. In fact, his characterization of Leo would pretty much be his trademark for years to come. Also, Dick Shawn puts in what is perhaps his best performance since his appearance in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. He really shines as the overage hippie L.S.D.. This film is truly a classic.

Atragon (1963)
The Japanese Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, 29 January 2006

This is one of the better non-Godzilla films from the minds of Honda, Tanaka, Tsubaraya and Ifukube. Even though this film pretty much covers the same ground as they did in the Mysterians (even using some stock footage from that film), it still was a great film. The special effect's work by Tsubaraya has to rank as some of his best and the story is better than average for this type of film. I loved how they pretty much showed how tortured Jinguji was as he was torn between his loyalty to Japan, his love for his daughter and the needs of the world as they were being attacked by the Mu Empire. Also, in an interesting bit of casting, Akihiko Hirata and Kenji Sahara play villains instead of their normal heroic roles. It also was interesting that the threat to Earth in this film didn't come outer space but from beneath the ocean by one of the most legendary lost civilizations after Atlantis. This is definitely a great film.

Fairly Good Sequel to a Classic, 29 November 2005

This was a pretty decent sequel to one of the greatest films of all time. Of course, when it first came out it was pretty much a flop. This was due to the fact that it had a lot to live up to, especially since it was released just a relatively short time after the original Kong was released. However, taken alone this film does hold up well as a nice little adventure film and for a change of pace the big ape is not a vicious and destructive creature, but rather a cute and gentle imp who when pushed is a fighter. Also, what is nice about this film is the fact that Denham gets the girl for a change. In the original he was too driven to have a relationship, but at least in this film you are allowed to see his softer side. This film, though not a classic like its predecessor, is still a great film.

A Great Story About a Turbulent Time, 24 November 2005

This is definitely one of the better docudramas that I have ever seen. For George Clooney to pretty much do a film on a something that occurred prior to his birth and do such a good job with it makes it an even more incredible work. Of course, most of the stuff I knew about Murrow's feud with McCarthy came from brief snippets that I saw on television over the years. This film really brought the story into clearer focus and really showed what a lowlife McCarthy was for stirring up the public's paranoia and the courage it took for Murrow and Fred Friendly to finally expose him for what he was. Where it really does a good job is in the fact that it pretty much follow's the same technique that All the President's Men took and told the story of McCarthy without using an actor to portray him in much the way that President's Men did. That film pretty much told the story of how Woodward and Bernstein exposed Nixon and didn't use an actor to portray him. Clooney is showing that he is more than just a good actor and that he is now truly establishing himself as one of the great directors around.