sohan_andrei

Warcraft (2016)
That's how you tell a story, 9 June 2016

I had a feeling I was watching Planet of the Apes (the original one) for a second. The story telling is just so good, so different from your usual Hollywood flick, almost makes it look like a 1968 movie with 2016 CGI. The fact that it actually has substance and a story to tell would make it a good movie alone, add to that top notch special effects, especially the scenes where magic is being used and the interesting and likable characters (I loved Medivh, the king's brother was also very well portrayed). And I will stop here with the additions, because I do feel there were a few points where the movie fell short of being a true masterpiece, such as the scenes where it wanted to convey emotion but failed miserably (at least for me) or the (at times) lackluster battle scenes between humans and orcs where at certain points it looked like they weren't even trying, but the movie doesn't rely on that fortunately.

From my perspective, this was better than the Hobbit series and almost as good as Lord of the Rings, although not as epic in scale. With a story better than all current Hollywood movies put together, state of the art special effects and a very innovative focus on the use of magic, this is definitely a must-see!

Spectre (2015/I)
It's a great action movie, but not a great James Bond movie, 30 October 2015

The movie is truly amazing, great action, great plot. I had a good time and did not feel for a second that the movie wasn't worth the money or time.

However, despite the fact that I am not a die-hard Bond fan, I kind of wish the movie was more true to its thematic and focused more on the idea of agent 007 as one of the best spies.

I kind of feel the franchise has forgotten where it started from and all new movies feel like nothing more than an homage to the first ones. I wanted to see more awesome gadgets, more focus on how intelligent the main character is and what makes him the best spy. I didn't want to see a movie about a character that is the luckiest guy on Earth.

The villain also felt like nothing special, I felt like the director did nothing to make use of Christoph Waltz's advantage, he excels as a sadistic sociopath, while here he felt extremely soft and didn't impress like he did in Inglorious Basters or Django Unchained.

Apart from all these, the movie did feel a step above the recycled Hollywood blockbusters, in the sense that the lines and the plot as a whole were a bit more clever. The action was very satisfying as well and did not disappoint.

I just feel this franchise needs to start taking itself a little bit more seriously (not too much), that's all.

TL DR: Movie is worth the money, but it's nothing to remember once you're out of the cinema.

Gravity (2013)
Worth watching, but only for cinematography, directing and special effects, 11 October 2013

Like everyone else here, I was utterly impressed by the amazing cinematography and special effects. The people that worked on those are absolute geniuses. Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with the script, which was extremely simplistic and dull, and neither with the acting. The main role was indeed very hard to pull off, it covered almost the entire spectrum of human emotions and it needed not very good acting, but fantastic acting in order to be convincing. Sandra Bullock's acting was thin and unconvincing for me. She once again proved she is very far from Oscar material and she should have never been selected to fill such big shoes, especially since it was almost a one man show. Now I don't intend to be mean, she wasn't awful, but she wasn't genuine either. That and the semi-cliché script aside, and the movie was absolutely mind blowing; to such an extent that I almost couldn't realize how amazing the effects really were, because I was literally under the impression that the movie was shot in space. All in all, the brilliant directing, the breath-taking cinematography and the state of the art special effects made me get out of the theatre with a smile on my face and even overlook Sandra Bullock's mediocre performance and the occasional eye-rolling lines in the script. I would definitely recommend this as a new and interesting experience, but not if you are looking for a narrative/acting masterpiece, but rather for an engaging display of cinematographic brilliance. 8/10

Me Again (2012)
The secret ingredient, 6 June 2012

This movie, in its own simple way, is way better than a lot of the box office titles out there, that cost a lot of money, but leave you with an emptiness inside. I loved this movie! It has all the ingredients to be just another cheesy, saw-it-all-before type of film, but it somehow overcomes all this. There is something that saves it from mediocrity. I cannot tell you what, but I can tell you that I felt it. My humble 2 cents is that this movie is one of the best family movies I've seen in a lot of time. It has something that the movies seem to have lost nowadays: it has heart in it. It doesn't take itself to seriously, but it somehow delivers this powerful message to its audience. I really hope to see this kind of movies again!