Nasco12

The one Drake doesn't win., 25 September 2011

Right from the beginning he's disorientated, out of control. He has no time to plan. And what little he is able to plan immediately starts to go wrong.

With Garriga, the storm clouds gradually darken. To begin with we think he's the victim but as he talks in his sleep and behaves increasingly erratically we just know there's more to him than meets the eye.

When we do get to find out about his past I loved the balanced way in which the issue was dealt with. How bad was he? What right did the hit squad have to do what they did? At the end of the day it was far from clear who were the good guys and who the bad - although there was never much doubt about how things would end for Garriga himself.

In the pilot and the customs man Judgement Day even manages to include that hallmark of good drama: well drawn minor characters.

Over all, probably the best Dangerman I have seen yet. The best of a very good bunch.

Look beyond the silliness, 18 July 2011

Up until recently, i.e. the last time I watched it, I didn't think much of "The Man who Liked Lions".

It was the silly ending that put me off. Now, it's still a silly ending but take that away and it is actually a rather good story - a tale of corruption and murder and lives destroyed.

And of one man who, despite all the warnings, is prepared to dig deep and find the truth. If I didn't know better I would say it's a Charteris original. Although it would appear it isn't.

On the acting front Suzanne Lloyd is, as ever, superb, producing - to my untrained ear - one of the best Italian accents I have ever heard. Meanwhile Peter Wyngarde is all confident menace. Crazy but definitely not stupid. Sadly his believability goes seriously downhill towards the end. Perhaps even he realised it was all getting a bit silly.

The greatest Saint of all, 15 July 2011

I think this is my favourite Saint episode ever. It was made at the perfect moment, when the production team were at the peak of their powers, they had made the move to colour and they still had some original Charteris stories to play with.

And what a story. Charteris, like so many crime writers and so few novelists was absolutely right about communism and here he beautifully captures the sheer nastiness of the Soviet Union.

Yootha Joyce is brilliantly chilling as the KGB station chief. It's not difficult to see how she bagged the role of Mildred Roper. Another brilliant piece of casting sees Tony Blair's father-in-law, Tony Booth, play the sinister KGB thug - a role he adapts to worryingly easily.

Even the minor characters like the hotel receptionist, the chief Russian diplomat and Inspector Kleinhaus are beautifully drawn.

And the final twist you (or, at least, I) just don't see coming.

Rushed, disjointed but still good, 10 July 2011

A few thoughts:

It feels rushed. One thing, then another, then another. It is as if the original story was far too long to cram into one hour (including ads) - which it almost certainly was. But they'd done better in similar situations before.

The real answer to this problem is to have more than one episode or make a movie - something they did try towards the end of the run although sadly, not with original Charteris novels.

Machine guns! Cool!

Suzan Farmer is, as ever, perfect. It's amazing she didn't go on to greater things.

Dr Julius isn't nearly evil enough and doesn't get nearly enough airtime considering the effort that Templar made to find him.

And yet, despite all this - it's still fun.