wlmlbl

One Good Episode, 13 June 2016

When this episode aired many years ago, It stood out to me. I saw how sometimes friendship transcends everything, and the racism and bigotry that exist in the world. I grew up in a time when race was a big issue, and how blacks were treated. In the end John goes all the way to President Roosevelt to secure a pardon for Harley. Then the sadness at the end, when the President dies, and it's revealed that granting Harley's pardon was the very last act he carried out. Then the whole family travels to Charlottesville to see the presidential funeral train as it passes through on its way to Washington D.C. This shows the true effect Roosevelt's death had on the country. This two part episode will forever be one of my favorite episodes.

The Vashons are the quintessential crime family, 24 August 2012

This is the first part of the only 3 part episode of the series. Chris Vashon is the son of the Vashon family. Robert Drivas did an excellent job in the role. He acts like the typical rich kid that can do anything he wants, and doesn't have to pay any consequences for his acts. He robs a hotel, and punches the victim in the face with his "V" ring leaving a telltale sign of who he is, and puts McGarrett right on his tail. His dad Honory is played by Harold Gould. He is another great actor is his own right, and is perturbed that his son is acting so stupid. He has to try to curb his sons activities, and keep McGarrett off his back. Talking to his son does no good, and Honory wants his father, Dominic to intercede. Dominic is played by Luther Adler. He is an "old school" type of gangster who either bought or intimidated people into doing what he wanted. When Chris is arrested, Honory and his dad must do everything to get the case against Chris thrown out. When this happens, Chris, acting every bit the cocky son laughs and replies "so much for the pigs" to which his grandfather gives him a good whack in the face. Not to be deterred, Chris decides to pull off another job, with disastrous results. Watch for Honory's reaction at the end.

"Turn-On" (1969)
A bit colorful for it's time, 16 February 2008

I remember watching the only episode of this show that ever aired. I do remember Tim Conway using a lot of vulgarity, which I never noticed in any other work that he did. The skits seemed to mimic that of Rowen and Martin's Laugh-In. I know that this show was so controversial at the time that it was canceled 10 minutes after it was aired. The other networks wouldn't even touch it.

Because of the time difference, people on the west coast never got to see it. I remember commenting to my mom how out of place the show was. There were some scenes that were drawn, and the characters just "popped in". This show was below the kind of comedy that Tim Conway was capable of doing.

One of the best sci-fi shows..., 29 March 2006

This is one show that I dropped everything for to watch...Some might say it was ahead of it's time, but it was well done just the same...It made time travel a possibility...I recently got all 30 episodes on DVD (some of which I haven't seen since the series was on TV)...A must for anyone sci-fi lovers collection...One of the best of the 60's shows...The cast of guest stars was great, with Michael Rennie and Victor Jory among them. Robert Colbert and James Darren headed up the cast for this show...A top secret project known as "tic-toc" far below the Arizona desert...A U.S. senator visits the complex to see if the government should spend any more money on the project...Fearing that the project will be shut down, Dr. Tony Newman (Darren) decides to go into the time tunnel to show it can work...He is instantly transported to the Titanic, which is doomed to sink...Newman tries to convince the captain of the upcoming disaster, and is locked away...Then, Dr. Doug Phillips (Colbert) decides to go through the tunnel and help him...The captain then informs them that the ship has struck an iceberg...Newman and Phillips assist passengers to the lifeboats, when suddenly and explosion throws them overboard...the crew back at the time tunnel are able to stop time and send them back into the portal...from then on, Newman and Phillips are transported to different events in history.

"Chiefs" (1983)
One Good Mini Series, 1 October 2003

This was one of the best mini series I have seen. The plot was well written, and had a great cast. Charlton Heston was outstanding as Hugh Holmes, the man behind the town of Delano. It is a small southern town in need of a police chief. the mini series is in three parts, covering three generations. The first part is 1924. A meeting is held, and there are only two candidates for the job. One is a well known farmer, Will Henry Lee. The other is a World War I veteran named Foxy Funderburke. Foxy is breeding dogs, but a lot of people in the town think he is strange. Will Henry Lee is a fair man, and well liked. He has to deal with a county sheriff named Skeeter Willis. Willis is very bigoted, and has the backing of the Ku Klux Klan. Will Henry investigates a death, and leads him to begin an investigation of disappearing young men. As is turns out, they are being murdered by Foxy. Will Henry dies after being shot by a man that has malaria. The man mistakenly shoots Will Henry, and sends his son away before being executed for his crime. The second part takes place in 1945. Many of the towns soldiers are returning after the war, including a very bigoted Sonny Butts, who becomes police chief. He is involved in the beating of a returning veteran named Marshall Peters. Peters was set up in business by Hugh Holmes, and befriended by Will Henry Lee's son, Billy. Butts happens upon the investigation that Will Henry Lee began 20 years before, and goes to visit Foxy. Foxy kills Sonny, and buries him and his motorcycle. The third part takes place in 1962, and Delano is again in need of a police chief. Billy Lee is running for governor, and suggests a retiring army officer named Tyler Watts be given consideration for the job. Watts gets the job, and it is revealed that he is the son of the man that shot and killed Will Henry Lee almost 40 years before. Again young men are disappearing, and Tyler Watts begins an investigation of his own. He runs into trouble when he wants to search Foxy's property, but eventually does get permission to search the property. One of the agents there trips over what he thinks is a pipe, but it turns out it is the handlebar of Sonny's motorcycle buried almost 20 years before! Foxy gets his rifle and shoots Tyler, and then is shot by agents. More than 40 bodies are unearthed on his property. Billy, Tyler, and Hugh are saddened by what they have found out. In the end, Billy is elected governor, and Tyler reveals his true identity to Billy by recalling a conversation they had almost 40 years before. Billy is brought to tears as he realizes it is his long lost friend.

One of the best!, 10 September 2003

Without a doubt, this is probably one of the best cop shows ever made! Jack Lord made the series all the more beleivable as the tough as nails Steve McGarrett. Adding Wo Fat as an adversary was even better!. I grew up in New England watching this series, and came to Hawaii a few years before it stopped production. It was a trip seeing all the sights that I saw on the show. Jack Lord had many of the local entertainers from Hawaii on the show. Many of the plots were good. This is one show that I will always remember.

The movie that started it all!, 15 August 2003

This is the one that began a series that lasted 12 years! Probably one of the best cop shows of all time! McGarett is a tough as nails cop on an elite state police force answerable only to the governor. He is stumped when one of his best friends turns up dead. As is turns out a Red Chinese agent named Wo Fat is using a device to procure information from U.S. agents. Wo Fat became one of McGarett's arch enemies throughout the run of the series. It should be noted that Danny Williams was played by an unknown actor named Tim O'Kelly. He was replaced in the series by James McArthur. The other regulars who went on to star in the series are Zulu and Kam Fong.

The Core (2003)
The Ultimate Save The World Movie!, 16 April 2003

SPOILERS!!!! This is probably one of the best what I like to call "save the world" movies I have ever seen. It seems like almost a reverse of the movie "Armageddon". A group of scientists discover that the earth's core is about to stop spinning, thereby causing disasters around the world. Dr Josh Keyes realize that there is something very wrong when a bunch of people with pacemakers suddenly die, and flocks of birds suddenly start dropping out of the sky. Keyes realizes that it has something to do with the earth's magnetic fields. Keyes meets up with another scientist, Dr. Conrad Zmiky, and together they begin to understand what is happening. At the same time, the space shuttle is entering the atmosphere, and on its way to landing, when the crew suddenly see that they are about 100 miles off course, and about to crash in Los Angeses. One of the pilots, (Hillary Swank) makes a daring landing in a drainage channel, and is chosen along with her fellow pilot for a mission to save the earth. Another scientist Braz (Delroy Lindo) has the concept for a craft able to make the journey to the center of the earth. The mission: the crew must deposit several Multi-megaton warheads at the center of the earth, and hope that the resulting explosion will be enough to start the core spinning again. I would have to say that all the actors in this movie gave a powerful performance. Most especially Aaron Eckhart, Stanley Tucci, and Delroy Lindo. Their broad knowledge of physics adds to the intensity of the film, and ultimately has them at each others throats. This is evident when Dr. Zmisky is knocked out after he goes on a rampage. During this mission, another disaster occurs when deadly microwave radiation is allowed to penetrate the atmosphere, causing the Golden Gate Bride to be destroyed. Eventually it is a race against time, as the crew realizes that the nukes they have onboard may not be enough to do the job. Add also another situation brewing on the earth's surface concerning a secret project that the U.S., whereby they have the capability to unleash earthquakes on other countries at will. Luckily, "Rat", a computer geek, is able to stop it in time. The visual effects shown in the movie make it all the more beleivable. I would reccommend this movie to anyone that enjoys Sci fi adventures.

Rudy (1993)
One of the best football movies!, 6 December 2002

This is without a doubt, one of the best football movies I have ever seen. Sean Austin does such a superb job at Rudy Rutigger, a young steel mill worker from Joliett, Illinois who aspires to attend Notre Dame, and play football. He is very undersized (5ft 7in) and 170 pounds. He makes it known that he intends to make the team. First of all, Rudy had to fight really hard just to get into Notre Dame. Rudy hires himself a tutor, and constantly applies for admission. Just when everything looks bleak, he is finally accepted. Coach Ara Parshigan sees that Rudy has a lot of heart, and wishes all his players were the same. Rudy makes the team, and is assigned to the practice squad. At first he puts up with a lot of flack from the other players who think that Rudy is making them look bad. They finally come to realize that he really wants to make the team. When Rudy fails to find his name among those that are being allowed to suit up, he is disgusted, and quits the team. He has a conversation with one of the janitors at the field, who is Rudy's good friend, and is told that he must not quit. Rudy finds out that this person was also on Notre Dame's football team, but never got to play, and quit. He points out to Rudy that "not a week has gone by that I didn't regret my decision." Rudy returns to practice, and is welcomed by his teammates. He goes to Coach Parshigan, and asks to be allowed to suit up for one game the next season. The coach agrees, but later on resigns. The new coach, Dan Devine, does not see Rudy the way Parshigan did. When the last home game of the season against Georgia Tech comes, the players all want to give up thier starting spots to allow Rudy to play. Rudy fulfulls the dream of a lifetime when he gets to lead the team out of the tunnel. As it turns out, Notre Dame completely dominated Georgia Tech, and the players realize that Rudy might not get to play, despite their begging Coach Devine to let him play. The offense scores one final touchdown, with time running out, and Rudy comes on the field as a special teamer. He is then told by the assistant coach to stay on the field, and on the next play, Rudy sacks the quarterback just as time runs out. This is a very moving movie, and I would highly recommend this movie to anyone. I just added this movie to my collection, and the DVD version is the best. The real Rudy Ruttiger does a short commentary, which eveyone should see.

Backdraft (1991)
Blockbuster Movie, 27 October 2002

This is one of Ron Howard's better films. Much of the filming was done on location in Chicago. Acting was excellent. Especially by Kurt Russell and William Baldwin. I have heard a lot of negatives about this movie, but I still feel it is worth a 9 at least. Steven and Brian McCaffery's dad (also a fireman) was killed in a fire in 1971. Brian was just a youngster, and along for the ride with his dad when he was killed. Twenty years later, Brian has become a fireman after failing at other pursuits. Steven is a lieutenant with the Chicago Fire Department. Steven does not think Brian can cut the mustard as a fireman, and Brian is out to prove himself. It makes for a great sibling rivalry. On top of this, an arsonist is setting fires, and the arson investigator, Donald Rimgale (Robert DeNero) does not have a clue as to who it is. Rimgale is pressured by an egotistical alderman (J.T. Walsh) who wants to be mayor. Brian has his problems working with Steven, and finally gives up, and accepts a job working with Rimgale. They find the links between all the fires, but Brian finds out more. (who the arsonist is). The climactic scene in chemical warehouse is great! I was told by someone that the funeral scene was overdone. I don't think so...I have seen funerals for firemen and they look exactly like what you see in the movie...Universal Studios in Hollywood had a Backdraft set on their lot some years back (which I visited), and it gives you a chance to see what these actors really faced...This is without a doubt one of my favorite movies, and Ron Howard deserves his share of kudos for an excellent directing job